Known as a common health problem, jammed fingers occur among people who are actively engaged in playing sports. The condition might become worse if there is no appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Hence, if you are an active sport player, do not ignore the information written in this article about the symptoms, causes and tips on how to treat jammed fingers workably.
Medically known as finger sprain, jammed fingers refers to a condition mostly seen in sport players. The issue is characterized by an injury or a sprain   which affects one of the three joints in a finger   . Experts believe that an impact injury takes responsibility for this problem. Remember that the toes can be jammed   too.
What are the causes of a Jammed Finger?
A jammed finger can be the result of external factors, including accidental injuries, sandwiched between windows or doors, or sport injuries  , etc. Most cases of fingers jammed are damaged and incapability of straitening up.
What are the symptoms of a Jammed Finger?
As your fingers are jammed, bleeding, bruising  and swelling on the fingers are obvious. However, some main injuries might not occur, which are unnoticeable immediately. The problem can accompany with redness, pus, or even fever in several days.
How to Treat a Jammed Finger?
In fact, affected fingers can heal fast if there is no signs and symptoms of bone fracture. In case of a fracture, the healing process might take even longer from 2 weeks to 2 months. Most cases of jammed fingers can be treated effectively at home by applying a great number of home remedies. Once your condition gets severe, it is necessary to take some medical intervention to fight with further damage. Only by examined by X-ray are your broke bones are exactly detected.
Read also: How to Heal Bone Fracture
Following are top 10 incredible tips on how to treat jammed fingers both naturally and effectively.
1. Epsom Salt
Epsom Salt is one of the most powerful helps with jammed finger treatment. It is loaded with magnesium  and sulfate that this combination help ease the pain as well as inflammation. The salt has been shown to be effective for relieving swelling associated with jammed fingers. The ideal duration to start using Epsom salt is about 48 hours after the occurrence of jammed fingers. You can opt for choosing either of the following cures to assist in relaxing the painful fingers.
How to apply:
- Add about 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt to a glass of hot water
- Soak the affected fingers in the solution in 20 minutes
- Repeat the same process once per day to get better outcomes
- Place 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt into warm coconut or olive oil
- Use the solution to massage the injured fingers for about 15 minutes
- Dip those fingers in warm water for another 15 minutes
- Follow the treatment once daily
Another workable tips on how to treat jammed fingers is turmeric. This fresh ingredient has a strong anti-inflammatory properties that aid in relieving pains, accompanied with swelling. The curcumin  compound present in turmeric is extremely good for boosting the flow of blood throughout your body. Take a note that the blood circulation plays a vital role in speeding up the healing process.
How to apply:
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil melted to form a paste
- Rub the paste on the injured fingers
- Cover them with a bandage and keep it on for several hours
- Wash those fingers off with lukewarm water
- Perform the same process up to 3 times daily
- Prepare a half teaspoon of turmeric powder and heat it in a cup of milk for 10 minutes
- Consume the solution prior to bedtime in a week
This application is reported to relieve pain and help sufferers enjoy good sleep.
Read also: Home Remedies for Cellulitis
3. Ice Therapy
Among top natural treatments for jammed fingers, ice therapy should not be ignored. Ice application enables to reduce the inflammatory in your body and thereby curing pain and swelling well.
How to apply:
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a clean towel
- Rub the pack on the affected fingers for about 10 minutes
- Let the fingers return to their normal temperature
- Reapply the pack
- Perform the same process more than thrice per day for the first couples of days
Instead of using ice, you can opt for the package of frozen vegetables. When applying the ice therapy, you had better allow your fingers rest to make sure the process of healing is quick enough.
Note: You are not allowed to rub ice over the skin directly. In addition, people who contract vascular disease  , decreased sensation or diabetes need to talk to the doctors before applying this treatment.
Read also: Home Remedies for Diabetes
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil can be one of the most perfect answers to your question on what to do for a jammed finger. In details, it packs a compound that aids in fighting with pro-inflammatory enzyme  . This activity is able to ease the inflammation and relive pain. Apart from that, olive oil can keep your skin staying moisturized and subsequently accelerating the healing process.
Massaging your fingers with olive oil is a trusted way to stimulate the blood circulation, reducing stiffness and promoting the healing.
How to apply:
- Apply some warm olive oil to the affected fingers
- Massage gently the fingers for 5 minutes
- Repeat the same process 3 times per day as necessary
- Add several drops of lavender essential oil or camphor oil to 2 teaspoons of warm olive oil
- Massage your injured fingers with the mixture up to twice daily
Note: In case massaging makes your condition worse, stop using the treatment and contact with the doctors.
Known as one of the best natural painkillers, ginger is among amazing tips on how to treat jammed fingers. This ingredient helps relive the discomfort triggered by jammed fingers. It also consists of gingerol compound  that possesses pain relief and anti-inflammatory agents. A recent study has said that the effect of gingerol compound resembles the effect of ibuprofen  and aspirin  . Ginger is beneficial for blocking COX-2  , a chemical in your body resulting in pain.
All you need to do is consuming the ginger tea up to thrice per day for several weeks for quick recovery. To make the tea, do some of the following steps:
- Prepare some ginger slices and put them in two glasses of water
- Boil and allow the water to simmer for 10 minutes
- After straining, mix it with some honey
- Consume the tea when it is still warm
Read also: Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is the next useful help on how to treat jammed fingers workably. The oil is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties, which is widely used to treat pain as well as inflammation caused by injured fingers. The antiseptic agents present in this oil help combat with infection.
How to apply:
- Mix about 5 drops of the oil with 1 teaspoon of your favorite oil
- Rub the mixture over the affected fingers
- Massage it for 5 minutes
- Apply a hot compress for 10 minutes to help boost the blood circulation and ease swelling
- Perform the same process for 3 times per day until your condition gets better
Read also: 10 Ways to Make Use of Tea Tree Oil
7. Aloe Vera
A jammed finger can be treated effectively by aloe vera thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. The aloe vera reduces greatly the stiffness and soreness caused by the condition. The amino acid and some essential vitamins help fix the damaged skin.
How to apply:
- Prepare the alove vera leaf and extract its gel
- Rub the gel over the affected fingers
- Massage them nicely to improve the blood circulation
- Let them dry and rinse off with a wet tissue
- Do the same process twice per day until your condition can get completely gone
You can also choose to drink a cup of aloe vera juice on a daily basis for several weeks to reduce the inflammation as well as pain.
Read also: Health Benefits of Aloe Vera
8. Splint the Fingers
Once you contract jammed fingers, it is advised to keep them immobilized or splinted until the pain is gone. The treatment is believed to make those fingers straight up and reduce movement while it is still healing. Also, take a note that the splint cannot be tight because it stops the blood circulation resulting in numbness and tingling sensations.
Read also: Home Remedies for Numbness on Hands and Feet
9. Keep the Fingers Elevated
You are highly recommended to keep your jammed fingers elevated. The ideal position is above the chest. The treatment can help raise venous return of the blood to systemic circulation and thereby easing discomforts, including swelling, pain and inflammation.
Finger elevation can boost the eradication of some waste products; hence, accelerating the process of healing. When you are sitting or even sleeping, you ought to keep some pillows by your side to elevate and rest your fingers.
Read also: Home Remedies for Peeling Fingertips
10. Rest the Fingers
You cannot look down on this tip. The thing is resting your fingers will provide you with quick healing process. According to a study, resting helps repair soft tissue destruction. If you continuously move the fingers, this will lead to more severe inflammation, pain, along with more serious injuries. Without resting, it is obvious that the healing duration is increased.
All you need to do is to stop moving your fingers as much as possible. Avoid jerky as well as painful movements. Strenuous activities can make the injury aggravate. At the same time, you are allowed to exercise the rest of the body and muscle to prevent against deconditioning.
Read also: Home Remedies for Smoker’s Cough
- For the first few weeks of suffering from the injury, stay away from strenuous activity. After some weeks, try to slowly move the fingers to restore its motion.
- Consume fish oil after seeing the doctors. Fish oil is considered as one of the most natural source of omega-3 fatty acids, which aid in lubricating the joints as well as repairing the damaged nerve tissues.
- Also, take some bromelain supplements. Bromelain, known as an enzyme, can help encourage the body to create some natural compounds that are used to ease pain and relieve the inflammation.
- Once the symptoms of a jammed finger become worsen, you need to contact with an orthopedic physician right away.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!