Chiggers belong to a family of mites called Trombiculidae, which are really tiny with 6 legs and no wing .
Chiggers can be found in certain outdoor areas, including weeds, tall grass, forest and other moist areas.
Although, chiggers do not do any serious harm to your health, they still cause discomforts and annoyance. To help yourself, you have to know the symptoms of chigger bites to have proper treatments. When these mites attack you, there are likely to be following symptoms appearing within hours:
- Severe itching, rashes
- Red pumps or hives
As the mites are really tiny that your naked eye can hardly notice them, it is not easy to prevent the bites. Therefore, it is worth to pocket some of simple and natural treatments for how to treat chigger bites to deal with them in the meantime.
Here are top 10 effective home remedies for chigger bites that you can easily apply to reduce the symptoms and other discomforts.
1. Hot Shower
As soon as you notice the bites of chiggers, immediately go to bathroom and get a hot shower. This is the first home remedy for how to treat chigger bites that you should immediately apply to eliminate the mites left on your body and ease the reaction of the skin. However, make sure that you do not use very hot water.
- Soak yourself in a tub of hot water
- Rub a mild antiseptic soap thoroughly
- Do not rub your skin strenuously to avoid rashes and pain
- Finally, gently dry yourself with a clean soft towel and moisturize your skin with some essential oil like olive or coconut oil
- Also, wash your cloth in hot water as well
2. Cold Compress
After cleansing your skin to get rid of chiggers attaching on your skin, use a cold compress as the next step of home remedies for chigger bite to prevent and reduce the itching caused by the bites with its numbing effect .
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a thin and clean cloth
- Use the ice bag to apply on the bites for some minutes
- Repeat this if the itching keeps annoying you
- Alternatively, you can soak the affected skin in cold or cool water to ease the itching.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has always been not only women’s but also men’s best friend as it is a trusted ingredient in various treatments for health and beauty problem and chigger bites are not exception. With the natural treatment for how to treat chigger bites from Aloe Vera, you can manage the condition of swelling, pain, inflammation on the skin. At the same time, vitamin E in it helps moisturize and accelerate the healing process .
- Get the gel inside an Aloe Vera leaf then apply it on the affected area. Let it sit on 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with tepid water. Repeat this 2-3 times daily.
- Alternatively, add some drops of olive oil and peppermint oil into some Aloe Vera gel. Mix them well then apply on the affected skin. After 15 minutes, wash off with clean water. Do this 2-3 times on daily basis for the best result.
- Put some neem leaves in hot water. Let it steep for 10-15 minutes then strain. After it cools down, use the liquid to cleanse the affected area. Do this several times a day until you see improvement.
- Also, you can use the products made with neem as lotion or cream to apply on the affected skin. Do this a few times on daily basic to quickly heal the bites.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda possesses strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help you effectively with the itchiness and inflammation. By applying baking soda, you can also reduce the risk of infection .
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with water to make a paste then apply it directly on the bites. Let it sit on for 10 minutes before rinsing off with clean water. Do this 1-2 times a day for the best result.
- Add a cup of baking soda in a bathtub of cool water. Soak yourself in there for 10-15 minutes. Finally, dry yourself with a clean towel and apply moisturizer. Do this once on daily basis.
Learn more other benefits of baking soda at How to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor.
Oatmeal has always been a good choice for skin problems due to its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. By making home remedies for chigger bites with oatmeal, you will receive a quick relief from itchiness and inhibit the risk of getting infections.
- Prepare a bathtub of tepid water
- Add into it a cup of colloidal oatmeal
- Soak your body in it for 15-20 minutes
- Do this 2-3 times a day
7. Olive Oil
If you are wondering how to get rid of chigger bites, think of olive oil as a great ingredient for natural treatments. Besides easing itchiness and inflammation, olive oil helps to speed up the healing and prevent infection .
- Use olive oil as a moisturizer after getting a bath
- Simply apply the oil on the affected areas or mix it with honey for better effect
- Another option for you is to add some drops of tea tree oil in a tablespoon of olive oil then apply the mixture on the skin.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to itchiness and skin inflammation, apple cider vinegar will never let you down due to its antiseptic and soothing properties. Therefore, it can make a powerful home remedy for chigger bites that you can easily apply .
- Prepare a bathtub of tepid water and 2 cups of raw apple cider vinegar. Soak your skin in there for 15 minutes. Finally, dry your skin and apply moisturizers. Do this 1-2 times a day.
- Also, you can directly apple the liquid on affected area with a clean cloth or a cotton ball. Leave it for 30 minutes then rinse off with water. Do this 1-2 daily until you see improvement.
9. Vick Vapor Rub
To deal with chigger bites, a jar of Vick vapor rub might be all you need. This is due to the cooling menthol that eases the itching on the skin and reduces the chance getting blister.
- Add a little salt into some Vicks vapor rub and mix them well
- Directly apply the solution on the affected area
- Do this 2-3 times a day or whenever swelling and inflammation appear
Another excellent home remedy for chigger bites is made with chamomile. With the anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant properties, the herb is able to reduce itching, inflammation and accelerate healing process .
- Put some dried chamomile flowers into hot water. Let it cool down naturally or in the refrigerator. Use a clean cloth to apply the tea on the affected area. Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing off. Do this several times a day for the best effect.
- Alternatively, make use of chamomile oil by mix it with coconut or other essential oils. Apply the mixture on the affected area for a couple of times a day.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.