What are Weak Legs?
On the norm, leg weakness is often overlooked by many people due to the reason that it is usually based on their own perception. Leg weakness can be the sign for paralysis which come from the compression of nerve at the lower back section. You might experience leg weakness together with sharp pain and occasionally loss of touch. You should watch out for those signals especially in case your lower back is not in good condition, then leg weakness will have the perfect conditions to develop .
You should not mistake leg weakness with tiredness and exhausted feeling which you might get after long working day. Leg weakness is the states which your leg muscles are weaken which is demonstrated through the incapability of your feet and legs to perform movements. Furthermore, leg weakness can sometimes be mistaken with arthritis or muscle cramps as those problems also make your legs unable to move due to pain. Leg weakness will tremendously affect the walking ability through the muscles of your feet. It will cause “foot drop” which is the term used to call the condition which you cannot lift your foot up .
What cause Weak Legs?
In fact, the legs are controlled by nerves which come from back bone and spinal cord in the lower back section. In the part call vertebrae which are located in the lower back, problems such as slip disc, sciatica and leprosy often take place there .
The problems can come from various sources such as spine, trauma, neuromuscular or drugs and toxins .
Those problems will damage the nerves, thus take impact onto the parts controlled by those nerves. As a result, when those problems occur, your legs will lose the capability to move as well as touch sensitivity .
What are the symptoms of Weak Legs?
The symptoms of leg weakness can vary depended on the types of diseases, conditions or disorders.
Here are some common symptoms which are often spotted from leg weakness :
- Redness and swelling
- Prickling (pin and needle) sensation
- Paralysis or numbness
- Muscles spasms and burning sensation
Besides the symptoms at legs, there are symptoms on others body parts as well such as :
- Tingling or strange sensation appeared at hands and feet
- Loss of coordination for muscles which can lead to impaired balance
- Body aches and sometimes headache
- Back pain with feeling ill generally
- Pain at hands, arms and fingers
- Other symptoms from multiple sclerosis such as problems with vision, unsteady walk, weakness with depression and fatigue, tingling or numbness.
The conditions of leg weakness might be the indicators for other issues which could be fatal and life-threatening. In case, you are caught up with such symptoms as below, it is recommended to immediately seek professional medical attention.
- Odd changes in the sense of hearing, taste or smell
- Having confusion and potentially high fever and severe headache
- Change in the consciousness level such as fainting or lethargy
- Change in the sense of vision and potentially vision loss
- Escalating numbness of weakness of the legs which could lead to impaired balance
Here are the top 11 most effective remedies for how to strengthen weak legs which are easy for you to apply at home in order to improve the condition of your weak legs as well as prevent your muscle tissues from deteriorating any further…
It is an effective method for promoting nutrient circulation toward weak muscles. Thus it can efficiently alleviate swelling and inflammation as well as pain. Moreover, massage is well-known for being excellent at relieving anxiety and stress and helping you relax .
How to use:
- Warm up some essential oil such as mustard, coconut or olive.
- Gently massage your weak legs using those warm oils for about 15 minutes.
- Perform twice per day.
2. Walking Regularly
It is extremely effective at encouraging the circulation as well as building your muscle strength.
You should practice walking for at least 5 times per week with about 30 minutes each time. In case you are having trouble walking, it is best to consult the doctor for supportive advice.
Besides walking, other activities such as jogging, running, biking, swimming or trekking also bring similar benefits therefore you can diverse your schedule for weekly activities.
3. Leg Strengthening Exercises
There are various exercises which are specialized for training leg muscles and prevent weak legs .
Among those exercises, there are exercises such as resistance hamstring curls, resistance band knee extension, adductor squeeze, hip abduction side lying, lunges, Swiss ball squats, hamstring strengthening, straight leg raise, quad press and heel slide.
You will need to practice those exercises for 3 to 4 times per week and you will need to stop in case those exercises make you incur pain .
Tai Chi and yoga are also recommended. Moreover, the exercise practice needs to be consulted with the doctor and trained by specialists.
Deficiency of vitamin D is one factor that contributes to the leg weakness. Vitamin D is required for the regulation of 2 essential elements for strong bones which are phosphorus and calcium.
By sunbathing in early morning for at least 15 minutes, you can help yourself obtain vitamin D from the UV rays.
Another option is consuming more vitamin-D-rich foods such as fish, cereal and fortified milk. Also vitamin D supplementary pills are recommended but only after consulting with the doctor.
5. Fluid Intake
How to use:
- Consume sufficient amount of water daily.
- Consume more water-based vegetables and fruits.
- Keep out of alcohol and caffeine in order to prevent dehydration.
Note: People who are experiencing kidney problems will need to consult with the doctor before applying this remedy.
6. Blackstrap Molasses
Rich in potassium, calcium as well as vitamin B and iron, it can effectively bring energy to your muscles and balance the electrolyte in the body.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses into either milk or hot water. Consume it 1 to 2 times per day.
- Another option is taking 2 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses with some apple cider vinegar into a glass of water. Consume once per day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Containing many essential elements such as potassium, magnesium and calcium as well as vitamin B, it is excellent to restore the strength for your muscles. Also the acetic acid found in the vinegar is effective at improving absorption of nutrients for your body.
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinegar into warm water.
- Put in some lemon juice and honey.
- Consume this solution for 1 to 2 times per day.
With protein and calcium as well as other essential nutrients, milk is significantly effective at strengthening your muscles. Moreover, the electrolyte from milk will prevent you from dehydrating .
How to use:
- Consume at least a glass of skim milk per day for building strength in your legs.
- Take some skim milk to boil with almonds, dates or figs and consume.
The high level of silica from horsetail is great at building strength for muscles as well as improving the density of bone. Moreover, this herb has an excellent function which is promoting a better absorption of calcium for your body, thus benefiting your bones .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of fresh herb into some boiling water. After steeping for 5 minutes, have it strained and add some honey before consuming for couples of time per day. Please note that do not apply this remedy for more than 2 weeks per treatment period.
- Another option is taking horsetail supplementary pills after consulting the doctor.
10. Healthy Diet
Poor diet is a big contributor for weak legs. Lack of nutrients can obstruct circulation, thus induce fatigue as well as weakness and cramps for muscles .
Supply more protein in your daily diet in order to prevent your legs from weakening. Protein-rich foods are soy products, nuts, eggs and yogurt.
Provide more potassium-rich foods such as potato, raisin, plum, banana and juice from tomato and prune.
Magnesium-rich foods are also required such as spinach, almond, seeds from sunflower and pumpkin.
Vitamin B is also essential for your leg strength; therefore consume more vitamin-B-rich foods such as wheat germ, fortified cereal, oatmeal, fish, yogurt, cheese and banana.
This vegetable is an effective remedy for many diseases and especially significant for treating leg pain and weakness. Take some dry leaves of fenugreek and turn them into powder. Then take a spoon of powder into some water and consume this mixture every early morning .
- Avoid standing or sitting with one position for a long while.
- It is recommended to quit smoking.
- Keep out of foods that are rich of saturated fats.
- Control the intake of salt in order to avoid water retention.
- Elevate your legs for a while in order to promote circulation of blood.
- Acupuncture and acupressure are recommended to take for better circulation.
- Coenzyme Q10 and lysine can be taken in supplementary form after consulting the doctor.
Tags: home remedies to strengthen weak legs, how to strengthen weak legs, weak legs treatment, treatment of weak legs, remedy to strengthen weak legs.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.