- What are Bladder Infections?
- What cause Bladder Infections?
- What are the symptoms of Bladder Infections?
- 1. Increase Fluid Intake
- 2. Maintain Good Hygiene
- 3. Empty Bladder If Needed
- 4. Eat Immune-Boosting Foods
- 5. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6. Beware of Measures for Birth Control
- 7. Quit Smoking
- 8. Appropriate Dressing
- 9. Probiotic Yogurt
- 10. Avoid Triggers
- 11. Baking Soda
- 12. Goldenseal
- 13. Couch Grass
- 14. Drumstick Flowers
- 15. Corn Silk
What are Bladder Infections?
Also known in medical term as cystitis, it is the type of infection which is caused by bacteria. Another common name for this type of infection is urinary tract infection or UTI for short. When speaking of this infection, it does not limit to only bladder but any other parts along the urinary tract can be infected as well such urethra or ureters and even kidneys. This infection can occur in both acute and chronic; therefore early check-up and treatment is the most essential key for avoiding this infection .
What cause Bladder Infections?
The cause for this infection is mainly bacteria which penetrate the urethra into the bladder and infect it. In fact, the urination is the process of bacteria removal. For men, there is another layer of protection which is the prostate gland. It will secrete the protective hormones in order to ward off bacteria. However, occasionally, bacteria can hold on to the bladder’s wall and grow rapidly. Thus, the growth of bacteria will get out of control of the body’s immune system, causing infections .
The most common bacteria for bladder infections are E.coli which is often found in large intestines. Infections are the consequences of overgrowth of bacteria which are not properly eliminated during urination .
Other bacteria can be accounted for bladder infections are Mycoplasma and Chlamydia which are often caught in the process of sexual intercourse and they can infect other reproductive organs besides bladder .
What are the symptoms of Bladder Infections?
Symptoms of bladder infections are usually obvious through urination and later on there will be pain along the way .
Here are some of the most usual symptoms for bladder infections:
- Urine has blood or looks cloudy or contains foul-smell
- Increasing urgency and frequency of urination
- Burning sensation and pain accompany urination
- More pressure and cramps appear in the lower back and abdomen
Other symptoms of bladder infection could be back pain and kidney pain. The back pain is nowhere near muscular pain of the back as this will be pain in the middle or both sides of the back. Also it will indicate that the infection has move to the kidneys and there might be low fever for confirmation .
Bladder infection does not exclude anyone; however women are more prone than men due to shorter urethra as well as closed distance to the rectum which allows bacteria to penetrate easier to infect .
There are several other factors which also contribute to the infection such as:
- Advanced age together with immobility
- Intake insufficiently fluid
- Having a catheter or surgery somewhere along the urinary tract
- Having either obstruction, abnormality or retention of urination
- Urethra is narrow or enlarged prostate and even bowel incontinence can be the causes
- Diabetes and pregnancy are also the contributors
Furthermore, bladder infection in women can get more severe than men due to the quicker and easier of bacteria penetrate the prostate gland and nest in the tissues .
Here are the top 15 most effective remedies for how to prevent bladder infections which you can easily apply at home in order to improve the healing of bladder infections as well as prevent yourself from getting caught by these problems…
1. Increase Fluid Intake
You will need to consume a sufficient amount of water daily. It is effective in clearing out the bacteria in your bladder as well as relieving you from burning sensation or pain when urinating  .
How to use:
- Consume from 8 to 10 water glasses per day.
- Consume more smoothies and juices from vegetables and fruits.
- Broths and soups are also the sources of fluid.
Note: Consult the doctor before applying this remedy in case you have problems with kidney. For information about the benefits of increasing fluid intake, please read: Home Remedies for Amebiasis and Strengthen Weak Legs.
2. Maintain Good Hygiene
- Cleanse thoroughly after going to the toilet such as wiping from front to back and do not use same tissue to wipe again.
- Keep your vaginal area out of products such as deodorant, soap or douche as those will kill off the positive bacteria.
- Use sanitary pads to replace tampons and change regularly.
- Use shower and avoid bath, in case taking a bath, avoid using products to make bubble bath.
- Remember to dry your vaginal area by patting with soft towel and not rubbing after showering.
- Remember to maintain a clean toilet and bathroom and keep out of dirty ones.
3. Empty Bladder If Needed
Resist the urge or hold full bladder for a long time can be the causes for bladder infection as it will encourage the growth of bacteria. Furthermore, this doing can also cause more problems for your kidneys.
How to use:
- Go to the toilet whenever there is an urge for urinating. Also make sure to completely empty the bladder every urinating time.
- It is also crucial to go for urination after having sexual intercourse as it will encourage the removal of bacteria from the urinary tract.
4. Eat Immune-Boosting Foods
Immune system is extremely important due to its tasks in protecting you from infections.
How to use:
- Consume some lemon water when you first start a day.
- Consume 2 to 3 glasses of green tea per day.
- Consume some warm turmeric milk before sleeping.
- Consume more vitamin-C-rich foods such as tomato, bell pepper, broccoli, sprout, kiwi, strawberry. Cranberry juice which is unsweetened is also recommended.
- Consume more vitamin-D-rich foods such as egg yolk, organ meat, fish like mackerel and salmon, cheese.
- Add garlic and ginger into your cooking daily.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
With antibacterial property, apple cider vinegar can effective cure infections as well as maintain a balance level of pH for your body .
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinegar into some water.
- Put in some honey.
- Consume the mixture twice per day.
6. Beware of Measures for Birth Control
Furthermore, some types of birth control pills can lower estrogen which is need for healthy vaginal tissue. Women who have chronic problems with urinary tract or infections by yeast need to consult the doctor before taking pills.
7. Quit Smoking
Tobacco will encourage the susceptibility toward infections by bacteria and increase the chance of getting bladder cancer. Tobacco can take negative impacts on leukocytes’ antibacterial function .
You will need to quit smoking as well as using alternative products of tobacco. Moreover, you will need to keep out of secondhand smoke.
8. Appropriate Dressing
Dressing sensibly can help you prevent infections of the bladder. Chiffon and cotton clothes are appropriate choice as your skin can breathe well in those clothes. Those materials will prevent moisture from building up which will reduce bacteria.
- Skirts and loose pants are good for circulation of air which will lower the growth of bacteria.
- Keep out of tight-fitting jeans and pants as they can increase moisture.
- Remember to use cotton underwear and change on a daily basis. Also wash underwear using hot water and mild detergent.
- Get out of wet swim suit as soon as you finish swimming.
9. Probiotic Yogurt
Containing positive bacteria which can help fight against bacteria of bladder infection; probiotic yogurt is proven to be significantly effective method for preventing bladder infection through maintaining a balance level of pH and improve your immune system .
How to use:
- Consume 2 to 3 portions of probiotic yogurt per day.
- Another option is consuming smoothie made together with probiotic yogurt.
- Other probiotic foods such as kimchi, miso, sour pickles are recommended as well.
10. Avoid Triggers
Some kinds of food can bring irritated feeling for your bladder which will heighten the chance of getting bladder infection.
- Keep out of drinks which contain caffeine such as coffee, tea, chocolate as well as soda drinks. Herbal teas which do not contain caffeine are recommended.
- Keep out of wine, beer and other alcoholic beverages.
- Keep out of spicy foods.
- Keep out of sugary foods as well as other artificial sweeteners.
11. Baking Soda
It is remarkably effective at relieving pain coming bladder infection. All you have to do is dilute a spoon of baking soda into some water and consume the mixture. Remember to drink until there are positive changes .
Containing anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it can effectively reduce the bladder lining as well as cease the bleeding and improve the healing of ulcers.
13. Couch Grass
With soothing property, it can help you alleviate the inflammatory sensation in your bladder, urethra or prostate. Besides it can also treat the problems of kidney stone .
14. Drumstick Flowers
This herb has been proven to be extremely effective in improve the healing process of bladder infection. You need to extract the juice from drumstick flowers and mix 1 teaspoon of that juice with half a glass of coconut water and consume for 2 times per day.
15. Corn Silk
Labeled as an effective diuretic as well as an excellent herbal remedy for bladder infection, this herb can significantly relieve the inflammatory feeling in your bladder, prostate or urethra. Also it can even treat kidney stone as well as inflammation happened in the urinary tract of children.
Tags: home remedies to prevent bladder infections, how to get rid of bladder infections, bladder infections treatment, treatment of bladder infections, remedy for prevent bladder infections.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.