Table of Contents
Like when you get a good skin care or a new haircut, having well-manicured nails will make you become more beautiful. Who doesn’t want strong nails that don’t break even when you do hard things? But if your nails are dull, unhealthy and very easy to break, don’t worry because a lot of people are like you. It is a common problem. Nails contain a lot of laminated layers of keratin-which is a protein. If your nails are healthy, they are uniform in color, smooth, without grooves or pits. On the other hand, weak nails don’t grow easily but very easy to break. Unhealthy nails are often caused by improper care. But you can fix this very easy by a healthy lifestyle, a proper nail care and some simple home remedies .
Here are the top 20 most effective tips for how to make your nails stronger which are simple you to apply at home in order to make your nails stronger as well as boost up your confidence in appearance…
1. Vitamin E Oil
- Extract the vitamin E oil by breaking open a vitamin E capsule.
- Apply this oil on your nails.
- After that, massage your nails in a gently way for a couple of minutes.
- Follow this solution every day before going to bed for a couple of weeks.
Note: You should consult your doctor before taking vitamin E capsule. For more information about the benefits and applications of vitamin E oil, please read: Home Remedies for Scar Removal and Hangnails.
2. Massage Your Nails
This is an easy but effective way to strengthen your nails. Massage your nails will improve blood circulation. As a result, your nails will become healthier and stronger.
Massage your nails regularly. You can use almond oil, coconut oil, nail’s cream or moisturizing lotion to massage. It will keep your nails moisturized as well.
- Choose one of these products and apply it on every nail.
- Massage your nails gently (5 to 10 minutes).
- After that, wear cotton gloves then go to sleep.
- Wash your nails with warm water on the next morning.
- Do this every day for a few weeks.
3. Eat Protein-Based Foods
Experts suggest that you should increase the protein intake if you want to maintain the healthy nails because nails are made of a protein called keratin. Lack of protein may cause white spots on your nails. As a result, it will make your nails weak  .
- Eat protein-based foods like low-fat dairy, soybeans, chickens, beans, eggs, nuts, tofu, lean meats and seafood.
- Another option is drinking protein shakes or adding protein powder into a glass of milk.
Note: Remember to consult your doctor before taking protein supplement.
4. Olive Oil
This is another effective way to deal with weak nails. This oil can repair damage and soften nails. It can also moisturize the nails. As a result, your nails will become strong and healthy.
- Use olive oil to massage your nails gently.
- Cover the top and underside of your nails and wait for 15 minutes before using water to wash it off.
- Follow this solution 2 to 3 times every day.
- You can also add warm olive oil (3 teaspoons) into a glass of lemon juice then mix them together.
- Use a cotton swab to apply this mixture to your nails.
- Wait for a few minutes then wear soft, cotton gloves on both hands then go to bed.
- The next morning, use water to wash if off.
- Do this every day for the best results.
Beer can cure weak nails because of the silicon content in it. Beer also contains potassium, biotin and selenium that can strengthen your nails.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in the microwave.
- Mix it with beer and apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon each).
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Follow this solution several times a week.
6. Increase Biotin Intake
7. Green Tea
It is one of the natural ways to make your nail healthy. Green tea can strengthen your nails and prevent brittle nails due to the antioxidants that content in it. In addition, it can get rid of yellow discoloring.
- Brew a cup of green tea and wait for a few minutes.
- Soak your nails in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this remedy for 2 times a week.
You can also prepare another nail soak by mixing a pinch of salt, some drops of wheat germ oil and 2 teaspoons of green tea.
- Use this mixture to soak your nails for 5 minutes and then clean it off with a dry cloth.
- Do this tip for 2 times a week.
Another option is mixing coconut oil (or Aloe Vera gel) with some drops of green tea essential oil. Massage your nails with this mixture.
- Repeat it 1 to 2 times a week.
One of the natural ways to make your nails stronger is using flaxseeds because of the micronutrients content in flaxseeds like lecithin, B vitamins, zinc, protein, potassium and magnesium. Moreover, the omega-3 fatty acid content in flaxseeds can make your nails become healthier.
Include flaxseeds in your diet. You can add ground flaxseed (2 tablespoons) to your smoothies or cereal.
Another option on how to harden nails is applying flaxseed oil on your nails and massage them for several minutes then wear gloves on. You should do this tip before going to bed.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very useful to promote nail health because it contains some nutrients like potassium, iron, magnesium and iron. Furthermore, it can prevent and treat nail fungus due to its acidic nature   .
- Add water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in equal amounts into a small bowl then mix them together.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this solution once every day for a couple of weeks.
- You can also add raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon) in a cup of water and drink it 3 times daily.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Another kind of oil that can strengthen your nails is tea tree oil. It can treat and prevent fungal infections due to its antiseptic property- which is one of the causes of weak nails. In addition, tea tree oil can get rid of yellow and discolored nails   .
- Add some drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl of warm water.
- Soak your nails in this bowl for 3 minutes.
- Repeat this tip for several times a week.
- You can also use a mixture of 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil and ½ teaspoon of jojoba oil or vitamin E oil.
- Use this mixture to apply on your nails then massage gently for several minutes and wait for a couple of minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Do this remedy once a week.
11. Stop Biting Your Nails
Many people have a habit of biting their nails. It is not a good habit because it makes your nails become ugly and unhealthy.
Stop biting your nails by applying bitter-tasting polishes on your nails.
You can also chew gums to stop you from biting your nails.
Don’t wear polish all the time:
Wearing polish all the time has a bad effect to your nails because it will stain your nails. You should only polish your nails for a few weeks. You can use nude polish on occasion.
12. Eat Less Sugar
Many people don’t know that sugar have a bad effect to your nails. So if you eat less sugar, your nails won’t break easily and they will be stronger.
You can provide sugar by having more natural food items or adding natural sweetener to your drink.
You can eat fruits instead of sugary desserts.
13. Keep Nail Files Around
For some people, their nails grow unevenly anyway and these nails often break easily. To deal with this, you should use file to file them so that they are in the same shape, size and length. You should file them in the same direction.
Note: Remember to change your file every month.
14. Chia Seed
Chia seed is useful to make your nails healthier because of it is a good source of calcium and protein, which can help you strengthen your nails.
- Use 1 to 2 teaspoon daily and you will see your nails become stronger and grow more easily.
- You can also sprinkle them into your smoothies or cereal.
If you like cacao, this will be a great tip for you. Cacao is really good for your nail health because it is a rich source of iron, zinc and magnesium.
Try raw cacao because it is very good to strengthen your nails. It can improve your skin, too.
Note: You should avoid sugary chocolates because it can tears down collagen and keratin, which is very bad for your nails.
16. Rose Water
Rose water is another popular tip on how to get stronger nails thanks to its various health benefits, especially for our nails and skin. If you have maintained the use of rose water every day, you will notice that it also helps you have healthy and stronger nails of pink color.
If you are dealing with some nail spots, rose water is also an ideal option to get rid of this problem. Just use it as daily nail soak and you will see improvements in your shiny nails quickly.
The next tip on how to get stronger nails is cucumber. It contains an incredible number of minerals and vitamins to nurture our nails within a short period of time. You can be convinced through the benefits of cucumber for our skin.
How to do:
- Prepare fresh and clean cucumber slices
- Rub them over the nails a few times
Besides, you are also suggested to include cucumber in daily diet, such as salad, or cucumber juice so that your body gets enough nutrients.
This familiar fruit is another powerful tip on how to strengthen nails at home. With natural bleaching quality, lemon can provide a wide range of applications to not only grow nails faster, but also make them more beautiful. If you have some problems in the nails, such as stains, lemon can wipe them out quickly.
How to do:
- Mix fresh lemon juice (a few teaspoons) in warm water
- Pour a bit vinegar
- Then, keep your nails in the mixture for a few minutes per day
This remedy ought to be used once per week to get the best results.
Butter might be removed from many women’s diet because they aim to lose weight. However, it is surprising that butter is a good tip on how to strengthen nails. If you have ever researched its nutritional values, you would know that it provides many vitamins and minerals, namely, calcium, magnesium, potassium or iron.
All you need is to apply butter on the nails and massage them for several minutes. Simply do so on the daily basis and you will notice improvements quickly.
While most tips on how to get healthy nails focus on massaging your nails, you do not need to do so with this one. You just need to eat yogurt regularly every day to receive all of its important nutrients that play an important role in making nails strong. There are also many other health benefits of yogurt you should know.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!