Most of people have to experience water getting inside the ears at least once in their lifetime. It can easily happen when you are swimming, taking a bath or a shower. Getting water in the ear can make you feel uncomfortable and feel like you are hearing from a bottom of a well. Generally, water can go in and then go out without any problems. But in some cases, water is trapped in the ear canal, thus it can decrease your hearing. Furthermore, when if you leave the condition untreated for a long time, there is likely to have a potential risk of you developing more serious problems like ear pain and infection .
Luckily, with a few tricks, you can remove water from your ear easily. But if home treatments don’t work, you should visit the doctor as soon as possible before you experience ear pain.
Here are top 15 tips to get water out of your ear that you should take into consideration to prepare yourself for annoying condition.
Salt can absorb water easily so you can use this ingredient to remove water from your ear. You can also relieve pain and make the fluid evaporate by using the heat from the hot salt compress.
- Take ¼ glass of salt and heat it in the microwave
- Next, put the salt in a cotton cloth and then tie it tightly
- Take this near the opening of the ear that the water went into and hold it for 2 to 3 minutes
Besides, garlic is also used in various treatments of health and beauty problems. You can find out more at Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil has a lot of good benefits and one of them is facilitate the flow of fluid that trapped in the ear. Moreover, olive oil can reduce the chances that you get ear infection because of its antiseptic properties .
- Slightly boil some olive oil and put it in a bowl
- Put a few drops of warm olive oil into the ear
- Wait for 10 minutes
- Remove the oil and the fluid by a soft ear bud. Remember to turn your head sideways before removing the oil
You can also put some drops (2 to 3) of olive oil in both of your ears before you go swimming so that it will prevent water from getting trapped in your ears.
Also, olive oil is a trusted friend helping women with several different issues like Home Remedies for Stretch Marks.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
Another remedy is hydrogen peroxide. It can get the water as well as ear wax and debris from the ear canal easily because of its effervescent property .
- Use a dropper to put three percent hydrogen peroxide (4 to 5 drops) into the ear that water got in
- Wait for it to settle for 1 to 2 minutes
- Take the water out by tilting you head downwards
One more effective way to remove water from your ear is garlic. It can also dislodge water out of your ear. In addition, garlic can reduce pain and prevent ear infection because it has antibacterial properties .
- Extract the garlic juice by pressing some garlic cloves
- Put garlic juice into the affected ear (2 to 3 drops)
- Wait for 1 minute then use a blow dryer to dry the ear
Note: Remember to hold the blow dryer 12 inches away from your head.
5. Blow Dryer
You can use a blow dryer to dry your ear so that the water will be gone from your ear. Water will steam and then dissipate out of the ear thanks to the warm, dry air from the blow dryer.
- Pull you ear lobe away from your body
- Keep the blow dryer away from your ear for at least 10 to 12 inches
- Set the airflow to low and the dryer heat to warm
- After turning on the blow dryer, aim it directly into your ear
- Hold the blow dryer still for about 30 seconds
- Repeat this again if you haven’t seen the result
Note: Do not do this remedy for more than a few minutes each time.
This is one of the best ways to get water out of the ear. You just let the gravity do its work.
- Tilt your head sideways
- Hold the ear that the water got into parallel to the ground
- Place the palm of your hand against your ear
- Press it hard for a couple of seconds
- After that, remove your hand quickly. The fluid will be dislodged by a temporary vacuum that has just formed.
- Remove the water draining from the ear by a cotton ear bud very carefully
Note: Do not insert the ear bud in the ear.
7. Heat therapy
Heat therapy can help you remove water from your ear quickly. The Eustachian tube, which the water builds up in, will be opened by the help of the heat compress in order to let the water escape.
- Take a hot water bowl and dip a washcloth into it. After that, wring out the excess water
- Place the washcloth against the affected ear and wait for 30 seconds
- Repeat this again after waiting for 1 minute
- Lie down on your side so that the water will get out easily
Do this 4 or 5 times.
8. Valsalva Maneuver
This way can pop your ears in order to open the Eustachian tubes. As a result, you can push water out of your ears
- Pinch your nostrils closed with your fingers and close your mouth
- Take a deep breath
- Regulate the air pressure by blowing air out of your nose slowly
- You will hear a slight popping sound if you’ve done it correctly. That means the Eustachian tubes are open again
Note: Do not blow your nose too hard because your ear drum might be damaged.
9. Rubbing Alcohol and Vinegar
Rubbing alcohol and vinegar is an age-old but effective home tip to get the water out of your eat. The germs present in the ear will be killed because of the antibacterial properties of vinegar. In addition, rubbing alcohol will help you dry up your ear.
- Take rubbing alcohol and vinegar (1 teaspoon each) and mix them together
- Use a dropper to put this mixture into your ear (2 to 3 drops)
- Rub the opening of the ear canal in a gentle way
- Wait for 30 seconds
- Drain the water out by tilting your head
- Take a large bowl and pour hot steaming water into it
- Use a towel to cover your head
- Inhale the steam slowly (5 to 10 minutes)
- Tilt your head to one side so that the water can get out of your ear
- Another way to get the water out of the ear is taking a hot shower
11. Clean your ear
This is one of the easiest ways to remove water from your ear. Use a soft towel or a clean cloth to clean your outer ear slowly in order to get the water out of the ear.
You can also tilt your ear down to the cloth.
Note: Do not push the cloth inside the ear because the water may go back into the ear.
12. Chew or yawn
This is also an easy way to get the water out. You can dislodge water by chewing gums because it can free the water stuck in Eustachian tubes.
You can also yawn to remove water. Yawning has effect when you feel a “pop” or water shifting.
13. Add More Water to Ear
By adding more water, you can use the cohesive force to remove water.
- Tilt the affected ear upwards then put some drops of water
- After that, turn that ear downwards to drain the water out of your ear
Note: You should use room temperature water.
14. OTC Ear Drops
You can get the water out of your ear by using over the counter ear drops. You can find them easily in pharmacy stores.
Add these ear drops to the ear and then tilt the ear down so that the water will come out.
Note: Ask for help if you can’t do this by yourself.
15. See the doctor
If all these tips can’t help you remove the water, the best way is visiting your doctor. Your doctor will remove the water very easily and also give you advice to avoid getting water into the ear again. This is the most reliable tip, although it will cost you money and time as well.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.