Table of Contents
Don’t all of us want a smooth skin with no marks or abnormalities? If your skin is smooth to the look and the touch, you will feel very content and confident, as people with skin conditions tend to feel unconfident about them. Unfortunately, some people have to suffer some of the skin conditions, and one of them is skin tags. Do you know what they are? Do you know if you have them? Are skin tags dangerous and how to get rid of skin tags?
In this article, Authority Remedies would like to present with you the comprehensive guide of everything you need to know about skin tags. First, we will introduce this condition to you, the symptoms and the causes of it, and we will have some methods on how to get rid of skin tags that are safe and effective for you!
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags , medically known as acrochorda, are commonly used to describe the condition of soft and non – cancerous skin outgrowth. The presence of this skin problem is not hard to be found on different parts of the body, consisting of the neck, arms, eyelids, and lower parts of the armpits and breast. A recent study has reported skin stags are quite small in size and deformed in shape. These fleshy outgrowths can emerge in both men and women.
What Causes Skin Tags?
Skin tags are caused by the accumulation of collagen and blood vessels in some thicker parts of the skin, which mainly result from the rubbing of the skin. People who are experiencing the following diseases can have the highest risk of suffering from skin tags:
- Diabetes: People who have insulin resistance or diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, are more prone to contract skin tags. Apart from triggering weight gain, high levels of blood sugar can worsen the blood vessels and inhibit the processes in your body.
- Obesity: Obese or overweight people tend to develop more skin folds. They might have skin tags from the friction resulting from the skin rubbing against itself.
- Pregnancy: Sometimes, women’s hormones fluctuate when they get pregnant. High levels of hormones have a negative impact on the skin formation and lead to skin tags. Besides, weight gain during pregnancy may exacerbate the problem.
- Human papillomavirus 
- Heredity 
- Excessive application of steroids : When steroids joint the muscles development, it can make collagen bond under the skin and then skin tags will happen.
- Scratches (owing to jewelry, clothing or shaving)
What Are The Symptoms Of Skin Tags?
Several common symptoms of skin tags can include:
- Tiny skin outgrowths, which then turn pink or brownish and become irregular in shape
- Not very painful
- Mainly found on the neck, armpits, under breasts, upper chest, eyelids, and groin
In fact, skin tags cause no harm to most people but when left untreated for such a long time, they can have chances to develop and might require rigorous treatments to follow. For most women, skin stags can lead to a wide variety of cosmetic issues .
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags With Conventional Treatments
Skin tags are generally benign, as they do not have any adverse health effects on you. Skin tags do not cause you any pain or discomfort.
However, even though they are usually small, sometimes skin tags can be a problem for you. If their size is too big, they can rub on your clothes or accessories, and the friction might injure your skin. And in case this skin condition lower your self-esteem, you can remove them at the clinic.
If you are thinking of removing your skin tags surgically, it is advised that you always consult your doctor or general practitioner first.
If you decide to have surgery on the skin tags, you should come to a physician. There will be a procedure where they will use a tool called a scalpel.
Before you have the operation, the doctor will use some anesthetics on you to prevent pain during the procedure.
The downside of having surgery to remove skin tags is that you will have to take some time off from working or studying, but that could be the time for you to relax.
Cryotherapy, also known as cold therapy, is a method to help you eliminate skin tags. If you wonder how it works, cryotherapy gets rid of a skin tag by using low temperature.
Applying this treatment involves freezing skin lesions to destroy that abnormal or diseased tissue. Cryotherapy has been proved useful and low risk, but it takes more than just apply an ice cube on your skin. In order to have this done, you need to have a liquid nitrogen compound on the skin tags.
You should note that this method should be used on people who have light skin and only on skin areas where there is not much hair.
In contrast to cryotherapy, cauterization is the practice of burning off a part of your skin to remove it. With high heat, the abnormal tissue is destroyed, and this is quite a well-known method to people with skin tags. The drawback of this method is that it can lead to some bleeding and skin damage and there is a risk of infections.
There are two types of cauterization that can be applied, which are electrocautery and chemical cautery. You can guess from the names of them. Electrocautery is burning off skin tissue with a thin metal bar from the heat of electric current; whereas chemical cautery is the use of chemical reactions on the skin so that you can get rid of small lesions. However, due to its ability to affect surrounding areas of the wounds, chemical cauterization is not always recommended for removing skin tags.
This method can especially be applied to a stretched skin tag. You will need to have an appointment with your GP or physician. The procedure will be done as follows:
Step 1: Sterilize a string
Step 2: Tie the string around the base of the skin tag. This is explained as a way to stop supplying blood to the skin tag, making it unable to maintain.
Step 3: The skin tag will eventually fall off
Warning: You should under no circumstances do this yourself since doing it in the wrong way can lead to too much bleeding! If you want to remove a skin tag at home, there are plenty easy and safe ways to do that in the next section of this article that you can refer to.
Lasers are used widely in the world of beauty care in clinics and spas, from laser hair removal to laser eye surgery, and you can also get rid of skin tags with lasers. Laser removal is quite safe, and you can find this service at a local clinic.
How To Get Rid Of Skin Tags With Home Remedies
Apart from surgery as the condition gets worse, you can try to remove skin tags at home by freely applying some safe and effective treatments to help get rid of this discomfort and embarrassment.
Following are 20 workable tips to help you on how to get rid of skin tags that should be taken into consideration to support the skin tags removal. However, before applying, you need to make sure that your skin is washed with soap and warm water and let dry. Also, consulting with the doctors prior to the treatments is highly recommended.
1. Tea Tree Oil
Widely known as a very acidic agent, tea tree oil becomes one of the most impressive ways on how to get rid of skin tags fast and naturally. It will help dry out the skin tags and make them fall off the skin without causing any pain. In addition, the antiseptic present in tea tree oil protects effectively the skin as the tag is significantly eliminated.
How to apply:
- Soak a cotton ball in water and squeeze it out
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the cotton ball
- Apply it over the affected skin before gently massaging in the circular motions
- Keep it for several hours and then rinse it off
- Do the treatment thrice per day in a few weeks or until you can see positive outcomes
If you are a skincare lover, then, the article on “Top Superfoods for Skin” should not apparently be missed out.
2. Castor Oil
Another handy tip on how to get rid of skin tags on the face that should not be looked down is castor oil . This kind of oil can aid in dissolving and getting rid of unexpected skin outgrowths without scar appearance. Due to be loaded with essential nutrients, it plays an important role in keeping your skin staying both soft and healthy.
How to apply:
- Mix castor oil in baking soda by 1:2 ration to create a paste
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil or lemon oil to the paste (Optionally)
- Rub the paste over the skin tags
- Place a bandage to cover it
- Leave it on overnight
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water next morning
- Practice the treatment regularly within two weeks or till the tag is removed
3. Banana Peel
Thanks to the strong antioxidant agents found in the banana peel, it is regarded as one of the incredible home remedies on how to get rid of skin tags. Additionally, the enzymes in the banana peel are beneficial for relieving the tag naturally.
How to apply:
- Prepare a banana peel and cut it into small pieces
- Put the inside part of the peel on the skin tag
- Cover it by using a bandage and wait for overnight
- Remove the peel and then rinse it off the area with clean water
- Repeat the treatment per night for several days or until you notice some significant improvements
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
To remove skin tags, apple cider vinegar is another incredible way. Thanks to the acid in apple cider vinegar, it breaks down the excessive cells in the skin tags and gives a hand to get rid of them naturally, making it one of the answers on how to get rid of skin tags!
How to apply:
- Dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar
- Rub it on the skin tags
- Do this treatment at least one month until the skin tags are totally removed
5. Pineapple Juice
Pineapple juice is believed to be among top simple but effective tips supporting how to get rid of skin tags. To reap one of the impressive health benefits of pineapple juice, you can follow some of the easy steps below.
How to apply:
- Take a pineapple to get the juice
- Rub the juice over the skin tags daily for at least thrice times
- Do not wash it off
- Repeat the treatment for more than 10 days
Let’s find out more top health benefits of pineapple if you are interested in.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has been traditionally used for relieving so many skin – related problems, particularly skin tags. Aloe vera possesses amazingly healing effects from its healing properties   and subsequently making it one of the keys to how to get rid of skin tags.
How to apply:
- Prepare an aloe vera to extract the juice
- Massage nicely on the skin tags
- Do the treatment on a daily basis for several days to receive positive outcomes
If you are not satisfied with the tags on the skin, garlic can offer a source of relief. It works wonder as one of the most wonderful home remedies for skin tags, in general, without the need for some extra medication or external interference. So the answer to how to get rid of skin tags lies in your kitchen!
How to apply:
- Grab a clove of garlic to get its juice
- Rub the juice on the skin tags twice per day
- Make sure to put the new garlic for each turn of applying
Read also: Garlic – The World’s Healthiest Food
8. Lemon juice
You can totally use lemon juice to reach for one of its surprising health benefits, that is to eliminate the skin tags.
How to apply:
- Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice
- Rub the juice on the skin tags
- Repeat the treatment for several days or until the skin outgrowths completely disappear
Read also: Top 10 Unexpected Benefits of Lemon
9. Vitamin E Capsule
Vitamin E capsule  is the best way to remove skin tags. You can give it a try by pressing a vitamin E capsule on the skin tags before applying for a few times per day. If possible, do the process continuously at least twice for ten days.
Also, applying Vitamin E capsule can make your eyebrows grow stronger and thicker.
With the aim of removing skin tags yourself, you can use raw ginger and apply it over your skin tags. For better results, it is ideal to repeat this remedy for two weeks.
Read also: Ginger can save our life in different ways.
Fenugreek is an excellent herbal and natural treatment for clearing the tags out of your skin.
How to apply:
- Dip a few seeds of fenugreek in water and leave it on overnight
- Consume the water when your stomach is empty the next morning
To make skin tags to fade away, a potato is one of the surprising home remedies for skin tags. After cutting it into smaller slices, you can place a slice on the skin tag and wrap it with a bandage. Potatoes are potential for drying skin tags as well as removing them just in several days of application.
You might also like: Nutrition Facts of Sweet Potato
With an aspirin , all thing you can do is to add it to a little amount of water. Subsequently, you can rub this mixture on the affected skin tags. This treatment is believed to dry out the skin and make them dim consistently.
14. Nail Polish
You might not have heard of this before, but, in fact, nail polish is another powerful way to help answer how to get rid of skin tags. A case study has proven its effectiveness that nail polish can help cut down on the contribution of moisture to skin tags, making them fade gradually.
How to apply:
- Place and spread the nail polish over the skin tags
- Leave it to dry
- Repeat the treatment for up to thrice per day for several days or until your skin tags are completely faded away.
Take note you should not polish your nails very often because nail polish is one of the root causes of yellow nails.
15. Dandelion Root
Dandelion root is among top home remedies for how to get rid of skin tags. In order to make skin tags remove, here is the application of dandelion root.
How to apply:
- Prepare a dandelion root
- Rub the juice of it on the skin tag
- Repeat the treatment several days until the tags are scrape off
16. Essential Oils
One more way on how to get rid of skin tags fast is essential oils. Some certain types of oil can be mixed well to help wither off the skin tags.
How to apply:
- Create a mixture of 1 teaspoon of oregano essential oil, 8 teaspoons of sesame essential oil with and a half teaspoon of basil essential oil.
- Dip a cotton ball in the mixture
- Rub it over the skin tag.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with clean water
- Practice the same process every day until your skin condition gets improved
Also, you can also combine avocado oil and lime essential oil.
17. Dental Floss
Dental floss is an available household item, which can help you on how to get rid of skin tags. All you need to do is to tie a knot at the bottom of the skin tag and then cut the excessive floss. The performance should be left on for 3 days.
The knot is widely known as a good way to help cut down the blood flowing to the tissue which then turns black or blue and eventually falls off.
The dental floss is safe if applied on some of the following areas, including eyelids, armpits, nipples, face, breasts, vulva, groin, penis and scrotum, labia or folds and buttocks.
Alcohol is one of the most effective home remedies on how to get rid of skin tags. The application can serve as an astringent, which enables to reduce extra moisture caused by skin tags. Plus, thanks to strong anti-microbial properties present in alcohol, it is beneficial for protecting the area from further returning infections.
Read also: Home Remedies for Alcoholism
Onion is a natural skin tag removal. Its juice can reduce the skin tags on the neck or face within about a week by just rubbing it nightly before bedtime.
How to apply:
- Prepare onion and have it sliced into smaller pieces
- Dip those pieces in an airtight container with a teaspoon of salt and leave it on overnight.
- Remove the juice in the mixture.
- Rub the juice over the skin tags and have them covered overnight
20. Duct Tape
Duct tape application will help answer the question of how to get rid of skin tags effectively. This strong tape helps reduce the skin tag easily as it can last for a week. After a week, while the tape is removed, the skin tags can be brought off with it. Also, you can try this method to eliminate warts and moles.
How To Prevent Skin Tags
Besides knowing how to get rid of skin tags, you should also learn about the ways you can prevent them from forming. As we have mentioned in the previous parts, skin tags might indicate some health problems like obesity or diabetes. So if you want to minimize the developing chance of skin tags, you can follow our recommendations as below.
Take Good Care Of Your Health And Your Weight
First, people who are overweight are more likely to have skin folds on their body, which cause friction and excessive perspiration and eventually skin tags. If you want to prevent skin tags from forming, you should make positive changes in your eating habits and living styles.
Besides, if you maintain a healthy diet, you will be healthier and will face fewer health risks that lead to skin tags.
So what is a healthy diet? It’s not depriving yourself or follow any strict rules. Simply eat less meat, processed food, sugar, and salt, and provide your body with plenty of fresh vegetables and water!
Avoid Tight Clothes
When you wear tight clothes, the friction of the fabric with the skin will not only make you feel uncomfortable but will also carry a risk of developing tags on your skin. You should always go for the loose clothes.
Also, wearing loose clothing will make it easier for your skin to breathe and it will lead to less sweating. This does not mean you cannot ever wear tight clothes, but you should not be wearing them all the time!
Having skin tags is not a serious problem, and they are mostly benign, so don’t worry! In case you want to remove them, you have had in hand our 20+ ways on how to get rid of skin tags and some tips on how to prevent them from showing up.
If you find this article useful, don’t hesitate to LIKE and SHARE with others!
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!