Onion breath is harmless to your health, but it can put an end to a conversation or even a relationship between you and other people. It seems to be an unspoken etiquette in all cultures and frankly, you might lose face with onion breath.
This article gives you some useful tips on how to get rid of onion breath at home.
What is Onion Breath?
Undeniably, onion is a popular ingredient which appears in many different cuisines all over the world. It is a source of folic acid and vitamins B and C. People who are on diet prefer eating onions due to the fact that onions only provide 45 calories per serving .
Moreover, onions are beneficial for human’s health . They can increase our bone density as well as prevent cancer due to its anti-cancer properties. Even though onions have lots of good benefit for us, there is a fact we don’t actually like having them daily because of their smell. Onion’s smell usually lingers in our mouth for quite a long time and makes our breath becomes extremely bad. So in case you are caught with onion breath, it is the top priority finding how to get rid of onion breath fast.
So what can we do? Forgetting onion forever in our meals? It will be a significant loss of nutrients that your body can gain from such simple ingredient.
So in case you are caught with onion breath, it is the top priority finding how to get rid of onion breath fast.
Here are the top 20 simple ways on how to get rid of onion breath which you can easily apply to help you erasing the onion breath…
People have used milk as a natural mouth rinse for a long time, which also makes it a perfect ingredient used in home remedies for onion breath. Basically, milk contains the fat that can neutralize the sulfur content in the onion quickly .
Drink a glass of milk before or during the time you eat onions. You should drink full-fat milk because it is more effective than skim milk. In addition, milk is also used to strengthen teeth. You can find out more at: How to Get Stronger Teeth and Gums.
Apples contain natural enzymes that can provide the same result as the fat in milk. This fruit is considered one of the best home remedies for onion breath .
- Drink apple juice to prevent bad breath
- You can also eat an apple after you eat onion food
People use lemons as an instant method for how to get rid of onion breath. The same as apples and milk, lemons contain citric that can neutralize onion breath . Plus, citric can kill the causes of bad bacteria which make the breath smell bad.
- Mix a cup of water with lemon juice (1 tablespoon)
- Rinse your mouth with that mixture 2 or 3 times daily until the bad breath is gone
- Drink fresh lemonade (1 or 2 glasses)
- You can also chew a small piece of lemon peel or suck lemon wedge to get rid of onion breath
Lemons can be considered the most frequent used fruit in our daily life. Besides helping you understand how to get rid of onion breath, lemons can cure some other common problems such as dehydration.
4. Baking Soda
Another good odor removal is baking soda. Baking soda is used not only to whiten our teeth but also as a significant solution for how to get rid of onion breath. It can be used to stop bacteria from growing, which can reduce the bad breath .
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda, the same with sea salt and a glass of warm water. Mix them together
- Rinse this mixture a couple of times a day to stop onion breath
Besides being a wonderful tip on how to get rid of onion breath, baking soda can eliminate the smell from other parts of the body. You can find out more at: Home Remedies for Body Odor.
5. Green Tea
One of the most effective remedies on how to get rid of onion breath is using green tea. Green tea can easily destroy the sulfur content in onion because it has polyphenols and anti-oxidants that are very powerful. As a result, it will make onion breath disappear quickly .
- Take a glass of hot water and add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves into it
- Cover the glass and steep it (5 minutes)
- Add some honey after you strain
- Drink this tea to stop onion breath. Drink it 2, 3 times or more a day, depending on how bad the onion breath is.
Drink green tea daily helps you not only preventing bad breath but also promoting healthy lips. You can find out more at: .
6. Mustard Sauce
Another simple but effective ingredient for how to get rid of onion breath is the mustard sauce. Mustard sauce has a strong smell that can effectively destroy the smell of the onion.
- Take a teaspoon of mustard sauce and eat it but don’t swallow. Swish it around your mouth for about 1 minute then spit the sauce out
- After that, swallow another teaspoon of mustard sauce
- Next, use water to rinse all over your mouth
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best remedies for how to get rid of onion breath. Like baking soda and lemons, apple cider vinegar is an effective way to destroy bacteria. Therefore, apple cider vinegar can also help us to neutralize the bad breath because of onion.
- Get half tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it with a glass of warm water. Rinse your mouth with this mixture several times (10 seconds each time)
- Mix a tablespoon of honey, 3 drops of clove oil, 3 drops of tincture of myrrh and ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar in a cup and add a little hot water into the cup. Gargle with this solution to get rid of onion breath
One of the herbs that can remarkably help you on how to get rid of onion breath is parsley. The chlorophyll content in parsley can help us making onion breath disappear . You can find out more at: Home Remedies for Bad Breath.
- Use white vinegar to dip a handful of parsley leaves into and after that add some salt on them. Take the leaves out and chew it carefully for about 1 or 2 minutes then swallow them to destroy onion breath
- In addition to that, chop the parsley and put a handful of them into 2 glass of water. Next, add 2 or 3 whole cloves and then boils the water (5 minutes). Finally, drink it after you strain and cool it down
Mint is another herb that can totally answer the question – how to get rid of onion breath. Mint can clear your bad breath because of the chlorophyll that the mint is loaded with. Furthermore, the anti-septic property in mint also works against the bad breath .
- Get a cup of hot water and add a tablespoon of crushed mint leaves. Cover the cup and steep for about 10 minutes. Then strain and add a little honey into the water. Drink this tea a couple of times to stop the bad breath
- You can also chew a few crushed fresh mint leaves. This way is more effective if you use it right after you eat raw onions
- Another way is chewing gums and eating mint-flavored candies
Like mustard sauce, cardamom has strong smell which is the ideal solution for how to eliminate bad breath caused by onions. As a result, it will cleanse and freshen your breath .
- Drink 1 or 2 glass of cardamom tea
- Another option is chewing cardamom after you eat onion-flavored food
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!