What are Hickeys?
A hickey, also called kiss mark, bug bite, or love bite, is a dark mark or a bruise, often appears on neck or arm. Although hickeys are considered as the mark of love, it draws too much attention from people around us, making not only us but also our partners embarrassed. Therefore, those both men and women, who accidentally or intentionally get hickeys, would like to get rid of these marks as soon as possible  .
What causes Hickeys?
These dark marks are caused by the hard-kissing or biting or even suckling of the skin, leading to the rupture of capillaries or blood clots under it. The symptoms of the condition appear first as reddish blemishes  then turn into dark of blue shade.
The treatments for hickeys are the same as those for bruises since both have the same symptoms. As this is not serious condition that needs a medical care, you can easily treat it yourself using natural available ingredients at home  .
Here are the top 12 most effective remedies on how to get rid of hickeys that you can consider applying in order to clear away hickeys and restore your fair skin.
1. Finger Massage
This is one of the simplest but not less effective remedy compared to others. Gently use your finger to massage the skin from the center to the edges of the hickey to improve blood circulation. You will get rid of hickeys faster than you expected .
For better effect, do this at least 2 times a day for several minutes.
Instead of using fingers, you can resort to tooth brush. It makes a perfect solution on how to get rid of hickeys fast. This method functions to boost the blood flow, spreading the blood clots to surrounding areas. Therefore, it can ease the discoloration on the hickey parts and recover your skin.
3. Cold Compress
Any kind of cold compress would be an ideal treatment to get rid of hickeys. Not only is the remedy easy to do but it also deals with the symptoms immediately. By breaking the blood clots apart, a cold compress will improve damaged capillaries and enable your blood to flow better, leading to the reduction of internal bleeding   .
- Wrap some ice cubes in a paper towel then apply it to the affected skin. Do this several times a day and at least 15 minutes for each until the hickeys go away.
- Alternatively, you can put some spoons into the fridge and leave them there in about 10 minutes. You can choose to either apply the spoon directly on the hickey or use a cloth to wrap it and rub over the area. Until the spoon is no longer cold, replace a new one. Do this a few times a day to see expected result.
This remedy also helps a lot in treating other women problems such as Home Remedies for Bacteria Vaginosis.
4. Warm Compress
Like cold compress, warm compress takes effect to boost the blood circulation and heal the hickey quickly.
- Use a hot cloth to apply to the affected skin for a few minutes
- Alternatively, you can use the heat from hair dryer while massaging the areas with your fingers
- Another option is to directly place the heat patch on the hickey
Do these several times a day until the hickey is completely gone.
- You can use either peppermint oil or peppermint-based toothpaste to apply on the affected area. Due to the character of peppermint, there will be a tingling sensation on your skin. This is totally normal and will be gone soon. After this feeling disappears, rinse off the areas with lukewarm water.
Do not apply this method more than twice per day as it can cause irritation to your skin.
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has always been a good companion for women to maintain and treat any skin problems, hickeys are no exception. This ingredient naturally sooth the affected area without making it dry. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties also heal the broken capillaries so that the hickey will go away soon   .
- Get gel from an Aloe Vera leaf
- Apply the gel onto the hickeys and use your finger to massage the area for several minutes
- Rinse off with water
- You can use alternative products made from aloe vera to do the trick if you cannot find any fresh Aloe Vera leaf
Another excellent character of Aloe Vera is it is safe to treat skin problems in babies, especially diaper rashes. You can find out more at Home Remedies for Diaper Rashes.
7. Banana Peel
Banana is a superfood, in which people can make use of all part of it to benefits your health comprehensively, including its peel. In case of hickeys, banana peels function to recover your skin quickly after damage of this condition.
- Cut the banana peels to the size of your hickeys
- Apply them on the affected areas
- After several minutes, throw them away then wash off with water
- Do this a few times a day until you see the improvement
For other great health benefits bananas bring to us, read more Surprising Health Benefits You Can Get from A Banana A Day.
Another excellent remedy for hickeys is alcohol, which can sooth the skin and help you get rid of its symptoms promptly. Moreover, alcohol can take effect even after few hours you got the hickeys.
- Use a cotton ball dipped in alcohol then gently rub it all over the affected areas.
- After a few minutes, rinse off again with lukewarm water
- Apply lotion or tonner to moisture the dry skin caused by alcohol
- This method can be applied several times a day until the hickeys completely treated
Using coin is a good idea to beak the blood clots apart and let the blood spread to surrounding areas. This helps a lot with blood flow, then get rid of hickeys fast.
The trick is quite simple. Use 2 fingers to use an adequate pressure scraping the coin from center to the edges of the bruise. Do not push the coin to hard, otherwise the condition will get worse.
10. Vitamin K
- Make use of cosmetic products that are rich in vitamin K to apply on the hickey several times a day to treat the symptoms
- Simultaneously, consume vitamin K-rich foods like soybean, fish oil and so on
To repair the skin and healing the hickey fast, your body might need a huge quantity of vitamin C. Meanwhile, oranges are apparently a rich source of this substance.
- Take in vitamin C through fresh orange juice or vitamin C supplements.
12. Cocoa Butter
- Place some cocoa butter onto the affected area after applying a warm compress
- Massage the area for several minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat this a few times a day for the best result.
It should be noted that all the natural remedies for hickeys would take a little time to take the best effect. Therefore be patient with each before you rush into some other treatments.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.