What is Dry Mouth?
Dry mouth, medically called Xersostomia, appears when there is a lack of saliva, which is used to moisten and digest food. Much more important, saliva also works as a preventer against bacterial and fungi in your mouth. Therefore, the lack of saliva can lead to annoyances and properly a lot of trouble. To completely get rid of dry mouth, first you have to understand the causes of this condition .
What causes Dry Mouth?
- Lifestyle such as smoking or breathing with your mouth open
- Side effect of certain medication
- Side effect of certain diseases and infections such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and mumps.
- Side effect of certain medical treatments
- Nerve damage
Dry Mouth Symptoms
Symptoms of dry mouth first come with sticky and dry feeling in the mouth and throat, which makes your thirst become more frequently. When the problem gets worse, there will be sores on the mouth, tongue and throat . Specifically, your tongue is dry, red and raw, accompanied with cracked lips. Finally, you will experience problems with speaking and troubles with tasting, chewing and swallowing, along with hoarseness and bad breath . It’s time for people to find a treatment to get rid of dry mouth.
Dry mouth can cause people annoyances and discomforts, however, it can easily treated by some lifestyle changes and simple natural home remedies.
Here are the top 18 most recommended tips on how to get rid of dry mouth that you can consider applying in order to help you with this problem.
1. Change Lifestyle
The first things you should do before rushing to find any treatments for how to get rid of dry mouth is changing your lifestyle .
- Stop smoking or using any kind of alcoholic or caffeinated products
- Breath through your nose, not mouth
- Moisturize your lips
- Add moisture to your room
- See your dentist at least twice annual
2. Increase Fluid Intake
If you do not have any disease and are not under any medical treatments, dehydration is undoubtedly the cause of the condition. Therefore, the first thing you should do to get rid of dry mouth is to keep yourself hydrated by providing enough fluid. This will help your mouth make enough saliva so that you can quickly get rid of dry mouth .
- Drink at least 2 liters or 8 glasses of water daily
- Consume water-based fruits and vegetable such as watermelon, pineapple, etc.
- Alternatively, you can use smoothies, fruit juice or vegetable juice or any kind of tea like green tea, peppermint tea, or others.
- Soft and liquid foods should be also included in the list.
- At the same time, do not consume caffeinated beverages, alcoholic drinks or soda.
3. Fennel Seed
- Chew fennel seeds through the day to treat dry mouth
- Alternatively, roast the mixture of fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds then grind them. Add salt to improve the taste and consume ½ teaspoon of it after each meal
Also, fennel seeds are very useful to pregnant women. For further information, read more Home Remedies for Morning Sickness.
4. Cayenne Pepper
Not only does cayenne pepper enhance the production of saliva in the mouth, but it also improves your taste of flavors. Thus, it is included in the list of the best remedies for how to get rid of dry mouth.
- Rub the cayenne pepper around your tongue with your finger. There will be a burning sensation for at first time then your salivary glands will be stimulated.
- Add cayenne pepper into your daily meal as a spice
Besides, cayenne pepper has many other benefits, especially for health problems. You can find out more at Home Remedies for Swollen Glands.
Another common tip on how to get rid of dry mouth is rosemary. When you have dry mouth, your mouth will usually feel sticky. It is such an irritating experience! Luckily, rosemary can help you get out of that condition immediately. Besides, rosemary also brings a fresh feeling to the mouth. In addition, this cure for dry mouth will protect your mouth from germs very well, so you do not have to be concerned about infections any more.
You should boil rosemary with hot water for approximately 15 minutes. After straining the mixture, you can use it to rinse the mouth. Remember that you should use cool mixture only.
Parsley is such a beneficial ingredient from the natural world, but few people know about its role as one of the best natural remedies for dry mouth. In its nutritional values, we can name some of the most important nutrients, for example, vitamin C, iron or calcium. All of them not only bring the sweet taste of parsley, but also have wonderful effects on our taste buds. What is even more interesting is that you can apply parsley in such versatile ways of cooking.
7. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a good answer for those who wonder what to do for dry mouth. It is critical to maintaining the mouth’s pH balance. As a result, you can avoid a series of oral problems. Besides, you can benefit from its antibacterial and antiviral qualities in the efforts to stay away from infections.
How to do:
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda should be mixed in one cup of water
- Lime juice and salt can be added to get better results
You had better drink it 2-3 times every day to stop dry mouth quickly.
Aniseed is another dry mouth relief that might blow your mind. In particular, many people experience nasty breath because of dry mouth and aniseed works perfectly for this group. Its use has been accepted in many Indian restaurants, where aniseed is provided after meals to help customers erase bad breath. Therefore, it is possible to make aniseed work for the dry mouth treatment.
9. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling has been long used as an effective remedy to moist the mouth and treat dryness. Also, it is good to maintain oral health and get rid of bad breath. Coconut oil, sesame oil, etc. can be used for oil pulling.
- Use coconut oil or any kind of vegetable oil to swish in your mouth in about 10-15 minutes
- Spit is out and rinse of with warm water
- Do this before breakfast and brushing your teeth every morning
Note: Do not gargle or swallow the oil
10. Sugar-Free Gum
Chewing gum whenever you find your mouth dry and irritated since it can make saliva glands keep working and reduce the symptoms of the condition.
Note: Only sugar-free gum is recommended to consume in appropriated amount. You can also use other kind of sugar-free candy to suck.
11. Grape-Seed Oil
Thanks to moisturizing property, grape-seed oil becomes the next effective remedy for how to get rid of dry mouth that you should try. This ingredient will eliminate the symptoms of dry mouth by coating and soothing your mouth. The conditions of sores in mouth and throat are also treated thanks to grape-seed oil.
- Use grape-seed oil to rub around your mouth
- Leave it overnight until the next morning
- Do this daily until you see improvement
12. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a popular remedy for many health and beauty problems. Therefore it should be always presenting in your house in case of any conditions, including dry mouth.
- Consume Aloe Vera juice daily
- Another option is to rinse your mouth with Aloe Vera juice 2-3 times a day
- Use a cotton swab to apply Aloe Vera gel around your mouth and tongue. Rinse your mouth off after several minutes. Do this 2-3 times daily.
For a long time, lemon has been considered as an ideal ingredient for how to get rid of not only dry mouth but also bad breath.
- Use the juice of lemon and honey with water to sip during the day
- Alternatively, consume sugar-free lemonade every day
- Use a piece of lemon and a little salt to rub on your tongue
Learn more about another benefit of lemon at How to Get Rid of Dark Underarms.
Cardamom is a powerful ingredient that is worth to try in order to fight against dry mouth and bad breath.
- Munch on cardamom after every meal daily
- Another option is to consume the tea of cardamom by add some cardamom powder into a cup of hot water. Leave it for 10 minutes then enjoy. This solution can be used to rinse the mouth 1-2 times everyday.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!