A swollen lip, referring to the condition in which you notice swelling in your lip, is not a disease. It happens just because the soft tissues of your lips are damaged. It may result from the dry and cold weather or the bacterial or viral infection. Many people get a swollen lip after a bite of some insects or the use of some chemical products designed for lip care. In some more serious cases, a swollen lip is caused by the lack of nutrients and fluids in your body  .
Although a swollen lip is not dangerous, it is absolutely annoying because sufferers feel embarrassed and their confidence might be reduced dramatically. Therefore, people always seek for ways to get rid of a swollen lip as soon as possible. There are, in fact, many drugs produced to help you deal with this problem. However, in the long run, they might have unwanted effects. It is better if you use natural home remedies to get rid of a swollen lip  .
Here are top 15 very powerful tips on how to get rid of a swollen lip that you should consider applying in order to reduce the swelling as well as quickly restore your beautiful lips.
With natural healing and antibacterial qualities, honey is the best recommended tips on how to get rid of a swollen lip. Honey is super effective when dealing with inflamed and swollen lips and it can reduce the pain you might suffer from. In addition, honey can provide your lips with moisture to protect them from dryness.
- Get a cotton ball soaked in raw honey.
- The cotton ball ought to be applied over the swollen lip.
- 20 minutes later, use cold water to wash your lip.
Honey should be used 2-3 times on a daily basis until you do not see swelling any more.
With antiseptic and healing qualities, turmeric is another great tip on how to get rid of a swollen lip as well. The antiseptic quality is to help your lips safe from bacterial infections .
- Get powdered turmeric combined with cold water so that you have a thick paste. You can put one spoon of fuller’s earth as well.
- The paste should be rubbed over the swollen lip.
- After several minutes, you can use warm water to wash your lip.
To treat the painful and swollen lip, you should follow this method twice per day.
Whenever it comes to infections, salt is always highly appreciated. Thus, it is undeniable that salt can be one of the most effective tips on how to get rid of a swollen lip.
- One spoon of salt should be mixed into warm water.
- Get a cotton ball dipped in the mixture and rubbed over the areas affected by swollen lips.
You ought to follow this method 1-2 times per day to quicken the swollen lip treatment.
4. Cold Compress
Cold compress, which refers to the use of ice cubes, is a popular and effective home remedy to get rid of a swollen lip. It can help you escape from embarrassing swollen lips almost instantly thanks to the coldness of ice. Nevertheless, you should never let ice have direct contact with swelling because it can even worsen the situation.
- Keep several ice cubes in a soft and thin cloth.
- Place the cloth over the swollen lip in about 10 minutes.
- Several minutes later, you should repeat doing so until improvement is seen.
5. Aloe Vera
The anti-inflammatory quality of Aloe Vera gel has been proved to be very supportive in helping you get rid of a swollen lip. Many people might suffer from a burning sensation due to swollen lips and Aloe Vera can eradicate that feeling immediately. Aloe Vera is said to be more suitable for those who get swollen lips due to insect bites or allergies .
The fresh gel should be rubbed immediately over the lips and you can do some massage in these areas.
6. Baking Soda
If you have allergies to something and it causes a swollen lip, then you should consider baking soda – one of the best natural remedies to get rid of a swollen lip. With baking soda, you will be free from the painful feeling and inflamed lips  .
- Combine three spoons of baking soda and one spoon of water to get a thick paste.
- The paste should be rubbed over the swollen lips.
- After several minutes, you use cold water to wash these areas.
7. Black Tea Bag
The presence of tannins whose quality is astringent in black tea makes it fit for the process of getting rid of a swollen lip.
- Get a black tea bag dipped in a cup of warm water.
- 10 minutes later, take the tea bag out of water and wait until it is cool.
- Put the tea bag on your lips and keep it there in about 10 minutes.
8. Warm Compress
Warm compress works as efficiently as cold compress in the efforts to get rid of a swollen lip. The warmth can enhance the flow of blood and therefore, swelling will be gone soon.
- Get a cloth dipped in warm or hot water.
- Then, you ought to squeeze the cloth to eliminate water.
- The cloth must be placed over the lips in approximately 10 minutes before you soak it once again in water.
9. Tea Tree Oil
In some cases, a swollen lip can come along with bleeding and cause many discomforts for you. Then, you ought to use tea tree oil to get rid of a swollen lip immediately. With antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory qualities, tea tree oil is great to reduce swelling and prevent it from bacterial infections .
- First, tea tree oil should be diluted with other oils, such as coconut oil.
- The mixture should be rubbed over the lips.
- Half an hour later, you should wash your lips.
Remember not to use pure tea tree oil because it can make you suffer from some unwanted irritations.
10. Coconut Oil
If you are worried about the side effects of pure tea tree oil, you can switch to use coconut oil which can be applied directly on the lips without diluting. In addition to its fresh and sweet smell, coconut oil can fight against inflammation effectively and foster the blood circulation as well  .
You should read more about Home Remedies to Improve Blood Circulation.
11. Witch Hazel
One of the best herbs used in the attempts to get rid of a swollen lip is witch hazel. It is super supportive in helping you escape from the pain.
- One spoon of witch hazel should be mixed with half a spoon of salt.
- A cotton ball needs to be dipped in the mixture and applied on your lip.
- 30 minutes later, you use cold water to wash the lip.
This method should be followed until you notice improvements.
12. Vitamin C
Not to mention other external factors, a swollen lip may be the result of your imbalanced diet. When your body experiences some shortages of necessary nutrients, swollen lips are just one of many symptoms. Therefore, to get rid of a swollen lip from the root, you are recommended to take in more vitamin C. Orange, lemon and kiwi are the greatest sources of vitamin C and you can easily find them everywhere   .
With cooling quality, potato has been used to deal with many types of swelling for years. And in the swollen lip treatment, potato once again proves its diverse applications.
- Wash a potato and cut it into thick slices.
- Get slices applied over the swollen lips for several minutes.
You can also grind it to make a paste for easier application.
It is not a tip that brings immediate effect in the swollen lip treatment, but it can support other natural home remedies. Making sure that you consume enough water day by day is crucial to help you get rid of a swollen lip quickly. It is because your condition might be worse if you experience dehydration that can cause dryness on the skin and lips.
For more information, please read Home Remedies for Dehydration.
15. Lip Balm
Last but not least, when you do not have much time on preparing all above mentioned natural home remedies, you can use lip balm to get rid of a swollen lip. You can find it at many stores and simply rub it over your swollen lips to give yourself a quick relief from this problem.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!