Table of Contents
In this article, top natural home remedies to reduce triglycerides will be well presented to enable you to apply the treatment without costing so much money and effort.
What is Triglycerides?
It is a kind of lipid (fat) which can be found in your blood. It is the calories left over which the body doesn’t need that is transformed into triglycerides.
Triglycerides circulate in the body through the cells of fat flow in the bloodstream. It is used to supply energy needed by the muscles for daily activities.
Most importantly, triglycerides are distinguished from cholesterol because the body requires triglycerides for the structure of cells as well as synthesizing hormone.
Triglycerides are necessary but only up to an optimum level, above that level will be deemed as unhealthy.
What cause Triglycerides?
The raise of triglycerides can be because of diabetes, obesity, hypothyroidism, kidney problems, and sedentary lifestyle with diet that is high in calorie, excessive smoking and drinking as well as genetic factors. Also some medicines like pills for birth control or steroids can cause triglycerides to rise as well.
High level of triglyceride might indicate the metabolic syndrome. It means the combination of high blood sugar as well as pressure, increase in fat deposits in waist area, lack of high-density lipoprotein or HDL which is positive cholesterol and certainly high triglycerides.
Even though, high content of triglycerides does not show any symptoms, it might increase the chance of having heart disease and strokes as well as high blood pressure and problems related to cholesterol.
You can check the level of triglycerides with a simple and easy blood test.
Below are the ranges of triglycerides for you to check if your triglycerides are in safe level.
- Normal level: below 150 mg/dL (milligram per deciliter)
- Moderately High Level: 150 -199 mg/dL
- High Level: 200 – 499 mg/dL
- Extremely High Level: above 500 mg/dL
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies to reduce triglycerides which are easy for you perform at home in order to keep the triglycerides at optimum level as well as enhance your health.
Also raw garlic is believed to be more effective than cooked garlic as the fresh one contains lipid-lowering activity.
How to use:
- Consume few cloves of raw garlic while your stomach is still empty for couples of month. Also you can include some fresh cloves of garlic in salad dressings.
- Another way is taking garlic supplementary form after consulting the doctor.
For more information about the benefits and applications of garlic, please read: Garlic – The World’s Healthiest Food.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Similar to garlic, apple cider vinegar is also potent at reducing triglycerides and cholesterol. Therefore, it is certain that apple cider vinegar should be included in the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides. It can promote the profile of serum lipid and diabetic rats through lowering triglycerides as well as low –density lipoproteins or LDL while rising HDL.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of vinegar into some water.
- Put in some honey.
- Consume the solution twice per day for few months.
- Also you can take apple cider vinegar into juice like grape, apple, orange…
Apple cider vinegar not only reduce the level of triglycerides but also effectively treat the condition that excessive triglycerides might trigger which is fatty liver disease. For more information about how to treat fatty liver disease with apple cider vinegar, please take a look at: Home Remedies for Fatty Liver Disease.
3. Coriander Seeds
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds powder into some boiling water.
- After straining, let it cool down.
- Consume the solution 1 to 2 times every day for couples of month.
Having excessive triglycerides means your body is weakening and can cause many ailments such as fever. However, coriander seeds can take care of it just fine. You can find out more about the benefits of coriander seeds at: Home Remedies for Fever.
4. Cayenne Pepper
This spice besides enhancing the spicy flavor for foods can help decrease triglycerides. With the capsaicin as the alkaloid compound, it can brilliantly decrease LDL cholesterol as well as excessive triglycerides for people with obesity. Therefore, it is no doubt that cayenne pepper can make the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides.
How to use:
- Take ½ to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper into some hot water. Consume twice per day for couples of week.
- Another way is taking cayenne supplementary form after consulting the doctor.
Whenever this spice is mentioned, people might often think of it as chocolate topping or baking topping which is something that can provide lots of calories. However, this spice actually lower triglycerides as it can improve lipids and glucose for people who have Type 2 diabetes. In fact, it can decrease the level of LDL cholesterol as well as excessive triglycerides. Therefore, there is no reason why it should not be listed in the home remedies to reduce triglycerides.
How to use:
- Take ¼ teaspoon of grounded cinnamon into some oatmeal in the morning. Also you might add some cinnamon powder into salads, soups and smoothies.
- Another way is taking cinnamon supplementary capsules after consulting the doctor.
6. Red Yeast Rice
This tip is extremely popular in Asian countries especially China. The reason it is here in the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides is because of its group of statins which occurs naturally as well as the marked-modulating impact on C-reactive protein concentrations or CRP and lipids. In short, it can significantly decrease the level of triglycerides and cholesterol in your body.
You can consume red yeast rice according to instruction from the package or according to doctor’s consultation.
Note: If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or having problems related to kidney and liver, you should avoid using this tip. Take caution in applying this tip as red yeast rice might contain lovastatin as well as other chemical substance which can bring side effects.
7. Reishi Mushroom
The richness of various heart-saving substances such as mannitol, coumarin, ganoderic acids, sterols and polysaccharides which are great for improving the cardiovascular system makes reishi mushroom an incredible choice from the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides.
The ganoderic acids are able to decrease the level of triglycerides, eliminate excessive cholesterol, maintain balance blood pressure, alleviate platelet stickiness as well as regulate arrhythmias.
You can take the extract of reishi mushroom; however, you need to consult the doctor for appropriate dosage.
8. Increase Intake of Fiber
For the treatment to reduce triglycerides, fiber plays a significant role as it affects the way your foods are absorbed and fiber-rich foods can efficiently decrease both the LDL cholesterol and the excessive triglycerides.
Generally, both insoluble and soluble fiber can help you in reducing the high level of triglycerides because it is able to connect excessive triglycerides as gel in order to flush out of the body easily.
More fiber also lowers the rate of absorption of sugars and fats. The insoluble fiber will help you manage hunger pangs while improve nutrient absorption for your body which is essential for losing weight.
How to do:
- Consume more foods rich of soluble fiber such as bananas, oatmeal, strawberries and peas.
- Consume more foods rich of insoluble fiber such as whole-wheat products, whole grains, greens, beans as well as many other vegetables.
Also if you are new to consumption of fiber-rich foods, you can take it slowly in order to prevent gas discomfort. Together with that, increase intake of water in order to assist the process of fiber and prevent constipation.
9. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids have always been essential substances for the body. However, it is even able to help you control the level of triglycerides through eliminating very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) from liver as well as accelerating chylomicron and transform fatty acids into energy (oxidation).
How to use:
- Consume more foods which are abundant of omega-3 fats such as mackerel, salmon, legumes, walnuts, cod, green leafy vegetables, soybean oil and flaxseed oil.
- Also you can take omega-3 fatty acids in supplementary form after consulting the doctor.
This tip from the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides is the one you must follow. Physical activity is your best chance for lowering the level of triglycerides without any effect or doctor’s consultation. By losing excessive weight, the excessive triglycerides will also be cut down as well. Thus, the blood pressure as well as cholesterol will be able to be maintained at balance.
Moreover, the short high-intensity endurance activities are more efficient compared to moderate-intensity activities in decreasing the elevation of postprandial triglycerides. Therefore, it is recommended to perform more high-intensity activities during your routine in order to reduce excessive triglycerides.
Also you can consult your therapist for appropriate exercises.
The abundance of healthy nutrients such as proteins, fiber, vitamins, monounsaturated fats and antioxidants are hard-proof for the appearance of nuts in the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides. There are various types of nuts that you can include in your diet such as walnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, almonds, pecans…
Additionally, all of the nuts are capable of lowering the level of cholesterol. You can take ¼ cup of almond every day in order to decrease LDL. Also you might eat some roasted with no oil. For walnut, it is said to be abundant of omega-3 fatty acids.
Oatmeal has been acknowledged as the destroyer of cholesterol for age. The soluble fiber as well as beta-glucans can help you control the cholesterol absorbed into the body as well as keep it balance. You can take 1 ½ cups of oatmeal on regular basis in order to decrease the LDL.
For the treatment to reduce triglycerides, onion can be an excellent assistant. You can grind an onion using the juicer, then take a teaspoon of honey together with a teaspoon of onion juice and consume together. Another way is taking some buttermilk with some chopped onion and ¼ teaspoon of pepper then consumer altogether.
14. Orange Juice
Vitamin C, folate and flavonoids from orange juice are extremely helpful as a remedy to reduce triglycerides. You can consume fresh juice 3 times per day in order to avoid high level of cholesterol.
The last ingredient from the list of home remedies to reduce triglycerides is the mighty soybean with so many excellent nutrients such as B vitamins, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and protein. Consume more soy products is the simplest method for restraining cholesterol production. You can consume 25 grams of soya protein per day then you can cut down your cholesterol up to 5 or 6%.
Note: There might be people who will experience problems related to digestion while consuming soya such as stomach ache, loose stools and diarrhea. Therefore, it is necessary to consult the nutritionist before applying this tip.
- Losing excessive weight by 5 to 10% can significantly lower the level of triglycerides.
- Restrain the intake of sugar such as keep out of sodas and other beverages containing sugar.
- Cut down on fructose like corn syrup as well as dried fruits like dates or raisins.
- Apply a diet with moderately low-fat.
- Consume low-fat products instead of normal dairy products.
- Restrain on saturated fats such as poultry, red meat, milk, cheese, butter, palm and coconut oil.
- Consume more healthy polyunsaturated fats like soybean oil, corn and safflower.
- Consumer more healthy monounsaturated fats like olive and canola oil.
- Keep out of alcoholic beverages.
- Keep our processed and refined foods as they might increase insulin in your body suddenly that can trigger a spike of triglycerides.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!