What is Yeast Infection?
Also known under the name Candida, yeast infection occurs due to a group of yeast or microscopic fungi named Candida albicans.
Generally, it will happen at the vaginal area; however, other areas such as under breasts, nail beds, lower abdomen, under skin folds and even dentures can also have yeast infection.
What causes Yeast Infection?
Women are more likely to have yeast infections, especially after menopause because of decreasing in the level of estrogen will make the vaginal walls thinner. Normally, majority of men and women will experience yeast infection at least one time in life.
Most common symptoms are often swelling, burning and itching within as well as outside the affected area.
In case of vaginal yeast infection, you will experience discomfort and pain at the vagina while having sex as well as burning sensation during urination and sometimes odorless discharge from vagina.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for yeast infection which are easy for you to follow in order to get rid of yeast infection and strengthen your immunity.
The first and frontier in the list of home remedies for yeast infection is yogurt. The “friendly” bacteria named lactobacillus acidophilus from yogurt can effectively regulate the development of infection in your body. However, for best effect, use only unsweetened and plain yogurt.
How to use:
- Take some plain yogurt and apply onto the affected skin for about 20 minutes or overnight for best effect. It will relieve you from the itching feeling.
- In case of vaginal infection, take a tampon and dip in yogurt then put inside the vagina for about 2 hours. Perform twice per day.
- You can also have yogurt together with daily diet.
Besides treating infection caused by yeasts, yogurt can be the cure for various problems from common to complex. If you want to know more about the potency of yogurt, please take a look at: 11 Health Benefits of Yogurt.
2. Coconut Oil
How to use:
- Take some coconut oil and apply onto the affected skin for 3 times per day.
- Take some coconut oil and cinnamon oil in equal amount and apply onto the affected area for controlling the development of infection.
- If it is oral thrush, use the oil to swish in mouth for at least 5 minutes. Add in some drops of cinnamon or tea tree oil for better effect and avoid swallowing. Perform 3 times per day.
For more information about the benefits and applications of coconut oil for treatment of skin problems like infection, please read: Home Remedies for Dermatitis.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be a huge disgrace if apple cider vinegar is missed from the list of home remedies for yeast infection. The distinctive components from either white or apple cider vinegar are incredibly effective against the fungi causing yeast infection.
How to use:
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into some warm water and consume twice every day for couples of day.
- Take some vinegar into a hot bath and soak the whole body for about an hour. The itching and irritating feeling will be alleviated soon.
- Also you can take some vinegar into some water and use the solution to apply onto the affected area. After 30 minutes, cleanse off using water.
Apple cider vinegar is an absolutely popular natural remedy which you can use to treat so many diseases and conditions that you might encounter in life. For more information about apple cider vinegar, please read: 16 Ways That Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits You.
The famous antibiotic, antibacterial and antifungal properties of garlic are extremely effective against all type of yeast infection. Therefore, it is no surprise that garlic is included in the list of home remedies for yeast infection.
How to use:
- Take some cloves of garlic to crush into a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area. In case fresh garlic is not available, take some garlic oil with some vitamin E oil and coconut oil to mix together and apply onto the affected area.
- Another way is taking garlic supplementary pills or consuming fresh garlic every day. Even though, it might trigger bad breath, it is truly effective for treatment of yeast infection.
Containing antifungal and antibacterial properties which are excellent against yeast infection, it can even treat infection related to urinary tract or bladder. That is why you should pay attention to this ingredient in the list of home remedies for yeast infection.
How to use:
- Consume some unsweetened cranberry juice couples of time per day.
- In case the juice is not available, take some cranberry supplementary pills for 2 to 3 times per day.
6. Boric Acid
This chemical substance has the antifungal and antiseptic properties which are essential for the treatment of yeast infection. However, pregnant women should not apply this tip.
How to use:
- Take some boric acid to dilute in water.
- Use the solution to apply onto the affected area for couples of minute.
- Cleanse off using water,
- Perform every day for 2 weeks.
7. Tea Tree Oil
The first essential oil from the list of home remedies for yeast infection is none other than tea tree oil. Its antifungal property is brilliant for the treatment of yeast infection. However, pregnant women are not recommended as some substances from tea tree oil can be harmful toward the infants.
How to use:
- Take some tea tree oil with some almond oil or olive oil and dilute together. Use the mixture to apply onto the affected area couples of time per day.
- For infection of vagina, take some drops of tea tree oil onto a tampon and put into your vagina for about 2 hours. Perform twice per day.
8. Oregano Oil
Another essential oil which is as effective as tea tree oil is oregano oil. Even though, it is not as popular as tea tree oil, its antifungal property is as formidable as tea tree oil and you should not overlook it in the list of home remedies for yeast infection.
How to use:
- Take some oil and apply directly onto the affected area. Because oregano oil can cause irritation, you can dilute using olive oil before using.
- Another way is taking oregano oil supplementary pills twice per day.
- Perform for couples of week.
The mighty anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties from calendula are something you should consider from the list of home remedies for yeast infection because of its unrivaled effectiveness.
How to use:
- Take some calendula leaves and crush. Then apply them onto the affected area. Perform 2 to 3 times per day.
- You can make some tea from calendula extract as it is also efficient for treatment of yeast infection. However, if you are pregnant, you should avoid using this herb.
- In case fresh calendula is unavailable, you can opt for calendula ointment or lotion.
10. Olive Leaves
Needless to say, extract of olive leaves is without a doubt one of the top ingredient in the list of home remedies for yeast infection. Various potent properties of olive leaves like anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal and antiviral are all remarkable against yeast infection. Furthermore, olive leaves can promote the development of positive bacteria in the body.
How to use:
- For DIY extract of olive leaves, take some fresh leaves and chop then put into a jar by glass which has lid. Put in some vodka until the leaves are fully covered. Seal the jar and store in dark place for 4 weeks.
- After that, have the liquid strained into another jar.
- Use the liquid to apply onto the affected area.
- Perform 3 times per day.
11. Grape Fruit Seed Extract
This extract is similar to olive leaf extract in the potency and effectiveness against yeast infection. Its antifungal property can significantly regulate the growth of yeasts as well as other pathogens which cause the infection.
You can take some water and put in 5 to 10 drops of extract. Dissolve the mixture and use it to cleanse the affected area. Also you can take a cotton ball to apply directly onto the affected skin. Perform 3 times per day.
Note: This method might exacerbate the irritating feeling; therefore, consult the doctor before applying. If you are pregnant or menstrual, you should avoid using this tip.
12. Black Walnut
The richness of tannin which is absolutely lethal against bacteria, yeast and fungus as well as antifungal property is what makes black walnut appear in the home remedies for yeast infection.
You can soak the nut to remove the husk. Also its extract can efficiently prohibit the development of yeasts.
Note: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is not recommended to take this tip. Also people who are having problems with liver or kidney should also not take this tip as it might damage those internal organs.
13. Slippery Elm
In the treatment of yeast infection, slippery elm can effectively ease the irritation. You can make a paste by taking some slippery elm powder into some water. Use the paste to apply directly onto the affected area. Also you can use Aloe Vera juice with slippery elm powder to form a paste and apply using a cotton pad in order to alleviate the irritation.
Basil is an excellent reliever from the list of home remedies for yeast infection.
You can take ¼ teaspoon of ground basil into some boiling water and steep for a few minutes. After it cools down, use the liquid to gargle for oral thrush or cleanse the affected skin. Also you can put in the liquid some maple syrup and consume twice per day.
The last tip in the list of home remedies for yeast infection is golden seal. Containing many beneficial properties such as antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties as well as the potent component named berberine, this herb can eliminate yeasts just fine. Furthermore, it can even support the detoxification of liver and improve your immunity. You can use the root of this herb for best effect.
Note: If you are pregnant or nursing, it is recommended to avoid this herb. Also consuming excessively might cause nausea; therefore, it is best to consult the doctor before applying.
You might also like:
Tags: home remedies for yeast infection, how to get rid of yeast infection, treatment of yeast infection, yeast infection treatment, remedy for yeast infection.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.