What is Whooping Cough?
Also known under the name pertussis cough, it is a type of bacterial infection which is highly contagious. The bacteiral infection can get into your throat and nose. Hence, whooping cough spreads easily.
What causes Whooping Cough?
This culprit behind this infection is the bacterium name Bordetella pertussis. It will infect the lining at the airways like bronchi or trachea.
This disease is able to spread quickly due to the sneeze and cough from the infected person. Commonly, it will attack the small babies primarily; however, teenagers and even adults area still vulnerable to this disease.
Once you have been infected, there is a resting time of 7 – 10 days before the signs start to emerge. Occasionally, the resting time can be longer.
What are Symptoms of Wooping Cough?
Whooping cough is believed to have similar symptoms as average cold. They conclude:
In case the infection is not attended timely, the cough will become the “coughing spells” in which there will be a high-pitched whoop at the end if you try to inhale the air.
Also you might suffer from vomiting as well.
Is Whooping Cough Contagious?
As mentioned above, whooping cough is considered as highly contagious and found in humans only. Sneezing or coughing can help spread out whooping cough from a person to another one.
The bacteria surviving in the droplets can turn into airborne when you cough and sneeze. Anyone who has close contact with peple contracting whooping cough is more likely to suffer from it too.
Who Are More Prone To Whooping Cough?
Children who are under 6 months old are the most vulnerable targets of this infection.
Adults who have weak immunity are also prone for this disease.
This disease is considered dangerous especially for children under 6 months old. Therefore, it is necessary to have the infected children under hospital care as quick as possible.
The best preventative method is using the pertussis vaccine. The vaccination usually starts at infancy; however, adults can still go for it.
How To Cure Whooping Cough Naturally
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for whooping cough which are easy for you to apply at home in order to alleviate the symptoms of whooping cough as well as support the treatment.
Note: In case, your infant shows signs of trouble breathing as well as vomiting excessively, it is recommended to immediately seek professional medical attention.
The first tip in the list of homemade remedies for whooping cough is none other than the excellent expectorant – ginger.
The powerful antibacterial property from ginger is capable of eliminating bacteria and together with immune-boosting property, ginger is effective at fighting against this infection as well as promote the healing.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon each of honey and ginger juice to mix together. Consume the mixture twice every day for couples of day.
- Another way is taking onion juice, lemon juice and ginger juice in equal amount and mixing together. Consume a tablespoon for 2 – 3 times per day.
- Also you can take 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds into some boiling water. Have it boiled until the water remains ½ of the beginning. Put in a teaspoon of ginger juice and some honey. Consume once every day for couples of day.
Furthermore, it even brings out the therapeutic effect for coughing, especially dry cough.
Moreover, with the immune-boosting property, it enables the body to fight against infections.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of honey with ¼ – ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to mix together. Consume twice every day.
- Another way is consuming warm milk which is mixed together with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder twice per day.
- Also you might take supplement of turmeric in the form of capsule but only after consulting the doctor.
Considered a potent natural antibiotic, garlic is the ingredient that you are recommended to use in the list of natural remedies for whooping cough.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of garlic juice for 2 – 3 times per day in 1 week.
- Also take a tablespoon of chopped garlic into some boiling water. Use a towel to cover the head and breathe in the vapor. Children are not recommended to use this method.
- Another way is taking a tablespoon of garlic syrup per day. For children, it should be only a teaspoon. In order to prepare the syrup, take a pound of garlic to grind or mince. Add in 2 cups of apple cider vinegar as well as distilled water. Take the mixture into a container by glass and let it rest for about 4 hours. Then have the mixture strained using cheesecloth. Lastly, put in 1 – 1 ½ cups of honey.
Another core ingredient in the list of home remedies for whooping cough is honey.
Containing powerful healing property as well as antibacterial and antiseptic properties, honey is capable of destroying the bacteria causing the infection while easing its symptoms.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of honey into some warm water and consume slowly. Perform couples of time per day.
- Before bedtime, consume a teaspoon of honey together with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Another way is consume a teaspoon of honey with some extracted juice of radish. Add in some rock salt and then consume 3 times per day.
Read more: Health Benefits of Honey
Within the list of whooping cough treatment at home, this herb is particularly effective against infection of respiratory system.
It contains expectorant together with antibacterial and antispasmodic properties which is brilliant at clearing mucus in lungs as well as easing dry coughing.
How to use:
- Take 5 – 6 drops of oregano oil into some boiling water. Use a towel to cover the head and breathe in the steam. Perform 2 – 3 times per day for couples of day.
- Another way is taking 10 – 15 drops of oregano oil with tablespoons of jojoba or olive oil to mix together. Use the mixed oil to rub on chest before bedtime.
- Also you might consume the oregano tea for 2 to 3 times per day.
You might want to read Home Remedies for Sore Throat
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!