Table of Contents
What is Whooping Cough?
Also known under the name pertussis cough, it is a type of bacterial infection which is highly contagious. The bacteiral infection can get into your throat and nose. Hence, whooping cough spreads easily.
What causes Whooping Cough?
This culprit behind this infection is the bacterium name Bordetella pertussis. It will infect the lining at the airways like bronchi or trachea.
This disease is able to spread quickly due to the sneeze and cough from the infected person. Commonly, it will attack the small babies primarily; however, teenagers and even adults area still vulnerable to this disease.
Once you have been infected, there is a resting time of 7 – 10 days before the signs start to emerge. Occasionally, the resting time can be longer.
What are Symptoms of Wooping Cough?
Whooping cough is believed to have similar symptoms as average cold. They conclude:
In case the infection is not attended timely, the cough will become the “coughing spells” in which there will be a high-pitched whoop at the end if you try to inhale the air.
Also you might suffer from vomiting as well.
Is Whooping Cough Contagious?
As mentioned above, whooping cough is considered as highly contagious and found in humans only. Sneezing or coughing can help spread out whooping cough from a person to another one.
The bacteria surviving in the droplets can turn into airborne when you cough and sneeze. Anyone who has close contact with peple contracting whooping cough is more likely to suffer from it too.
Who Are More Prone To Whooping Cough?
Children who are under 6 months old are the most vulnerable targets of this infection.
Adults who have weak immunity are also prone for this disease.
This disease is considered dangerous especially for children under 6 months old. Therefore, it is necessary to have the infected children under hospital care as quick as possible.
The best preventative method is using the pertussis vaccine. The vaccination usually starts at infancy; however, adults can still go for it.
How To Cure Whooping Cough Naturally
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for whooping cough which are easy for you to apply at home in order to alleviate the symptoms of whooping cough as well as support the treatment.
Note: In case, your infant shows signs of trouble breathing as well as vomiting excessively, it is recommended to immediately seek professional medical attention.
The first tip in the list of homemade remedies for whooping cough is none other than the excellent expectorant – ginger.
The powerful antibacterial property from ginger is capable of eliminating bacteria and together with immune-boosting property, ginger is effective at fighting against this infection as well as promote the healing.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon each of honey and ginger juice to mix together. Consume the mixture twice every day for couples of day.
- Another way is taking onion juice, lemon juice and ginger juice in equal amount and mixing together. Consume a tablespoon for 2 – 3 times per day.
- Also you can take 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds into some boiling water. Have it boiled until the water remains ½ of the beginning. Put in a teaspoon of ginger juice and some honey. Consume once every day for couples of day.
Furthermore, it even brings out the therapeutic effect for coughing, especially dry cough.
Moreover, with the immune-boosting property, it enables the body to fight against infections.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of honey with ¼ – ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to mix together. Consume twice every day.
- Another way is consuming warm milk which is mixed together with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder twice per day.
- Also you might take supplement of turmeric in the form of capsule but only after consulting the doctor.
Considered a potent natural antibiotic, garlic is the ingredient that you are recommended to use in the list of natural remedies for whooping cough.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of garlic juice for 2 – 3 times per day in 1 week.
- Also take a tablespoon of chopped garlic into some boiling water. Use a towel to cover the head and breathe in the vapor. Children are not recommended to use this method.
- Another way is taking a tablespoon of garlic syrup per day. For children, it should be only a teaspoon. In order to prepare the syrup, take a pound of garlic to grind or mince. Add in 2 cups of apple cider vinegar as well as distilled water. Take the mixture into a container by glass and let it rest for about 4 hours. Then have the mixture strained using cheesecloth. Lastly, put in 1 – 1 ½ cups of honey.
Another core ingredient in the list of home remedies for whooping cough is honey.
Containing powerful healing property as well as antibacterial and antiseptic properties, honey is capable of destroying the bacteria causing the infection while easing its symptoms.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of honey into some warm water and consume slowly. Perform couples of time per day.
- Before bedtime, consume a teaspoon of honey together with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Another way is consume a teaspoon of honey with some extracted juice of radish. Add in some rock salt and then consume 3 times per day.
Read more: Health Benefits of Honey
Within the list of whooping cough treatment at home, this herb is particularly effective against infection of respiratory system.
It contains expectorant together with antibacterial and antispasmodic properties which is brilliant at clearing mucus in lungs as well as easing dry coughing.
How to use:
- Take 5 – 6 drops of oregano oil into some boiling water. Use a towel to cover the head and breathe in the steam. Perform 2 – 3 times per day for couples of day.
- Another way is taking 10 – 15 drops of oregano oil with tablespoons of jojoba or olive oil to mix together. Use the mixed oil to rub on chest before bedtime.
- Also you might consume the oregano tea for 2 to 3 times per day.
You might want to read Home Remedies for Sore Throat
The citric acid from lemon is what makes lemon an important part in the list of home remedies for whooping cough.
It can help you thin out mucus and with the strong antiviral and antibacterial properties; it is able to combat against the infection.
Furthermore, vitamin C from lemon is capable of enhancing the immunity.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of extracted juice from lemon into some warm water with a little bit of honey. Consume couples of time every day for several days.
- Another way is taking ½ a lemon and having it sprinkled with pepper and salt. Slowly suck the lemon to ease the throat irritation.
Lemon confers various health benefits that you might not know about. Click here to find more at top 10 unexpected health benefits of lemon.
It is such a popular herb that almost anyone would have recommended it in the list of home remedy for whooping cough in adults.
Working as a demulcent, it can cover the throat in a thin layer of mucilage in order to protect the fragile tissues from damage of persistent coughing.
Additionally, it is capable of clearing congestion from bronchial tubes as well as lungs.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of this herb’s dried root powder into some boiling water for about 5 minutes. Then take it off the heat and let it steep for 10 more minutes. Then have it strained and consume twice every day for couples of day.
- Another way is take ½ teaspoon of licorice powder and some honey to mix together and consume 3 times every day for couples of day.
It would be a huge flaw if you miss out almond in the list of home remedies for whooping cough.
Its essential oil as well as nuts is oil significantly helpful for the natural treatment of whooping cough.
Rich of phytochemicals and antioxidant and together with immune-boosting property, it can effectively alleviate the symptoms of whooping cough.
How to use:
- Take 5 drops of its essential oil and 10 drops each of onion juice as well as ginger juice to mix together. Consume 3 times per day for several weeks.
- Another way is taking 5 – 7 almonds to soak overnight. Have the skin removed and grinded into some fine paste. Then put in a teaspoon of butter and consume 3 times per day.
- Also you can take a tablespoon of almond oil with 4 – 5 drops of any other essential oil such as camphor, rosemary or eucalyptus to mix together. Have your chest rubbed with this mixed oil gently for couples of minute. Perform if needed.
If you are consuming almond, let’s see what your body can change everyday.
Read also: Top 10 Health Benefits of Almond
This exotic herb is considered to be the simplest tip in the list of whooping cough remedy but it still can provide adequate help with its immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties which can alleviate the symptoms and improve the healing just fine.
How to use:
- Take 1 – 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile into some hot water.
- Have it steeped for about 5 minutes.
- Then have it strained and put in some lemon juice with honey depended on your taste.
- Consume 3 to 4 times per day in couples of day.
Read also: Top 10 Health Benefits of Chamomile
This herb is highly recommended in the list of home remedies for whooping cough not only because of its expensiveness but also due to its antibacterial property which is excellent at eliminating bacteria causing whooping cough.
Additionally, considered an expectorant, it is able to help you clear phlegm, thus enable you to breathe easier.
How to use:
- Take 6 saffron stigmas and steep in some hot water for about 5 minutes.
- Consume for couples of time every day in 1 week.
11. Carrot Juice
Carrot juice is another useful help on how to get rid of whooping cough.
You just need to take a tablespoon of extracted juice from carrot and a little bit of honey together with some warm water to create some syrup.
Then have a tablespoon of this syrup for couples of time per day.
Carrot is also one of the most powerful treatments for cough.
Similar to carrot, you can turn the juice of radish into some wonderful syrup from top natural home remedies for whooping cough.
You need to take a teaspoon of extracted juice from radish into some honey of equal amount.
Put in some salt depended on your taste and consume 3 times every day.
Another kitchen ingredient which can be used to turn into syrup is onion.
All you need to some extracted juice from onion and honey.
Have them mixed together and leave it aside for about 4 hours.
Then consume a teaspoon every day. Its effectiveness is totally qualified for effective home remedies for whooping cough.
If you are afraid of onion breath, don’t rush. Reading this article will completely solve your problem.
Click more at: How To Get Rid of Onion Breath
14. Increase Fluid Intake
Dehydration is the helpful assistant of whooping cough.
Therefore, you need to avoid dehydration through providing sufficient fluid from juice as well as soups.
This tip is the most important one that you need to look out from top whooping cough home remedies.
Also it is required to watch out for dehydration symptoms at children like infrequent urination and dry lips.
15. Vitamin C
The last tip in the list of home remedies for whooping cough belong to vitamin C as it is the most important nutrient in the treatment of whooping cough.
You can either consume more foods which are abundant of vitamin C or take the supplement of vitamin in the tablet form.
How To Prevent Whooping Cough
- Consume 1 – 2 glasses of grape juice every day.
- Take 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into some water, put in some honey and consume 2 – 3 times per day.
- Take a small piece of camphor and have it tied into a handkerchief and inhale its aroma frequently.
- Keep out of moisture and cold as they might make the condition worse.
- Have sufficient rest to improve the recovery.
- Keep out of irritants such as tobacco smoke as well as fire because they might trigger coughing.
- Have your mouth covered during coughing and have your hands cleansed often.
- Put on a mask when going outside.
- Keep out of food allergens such as starchy, wheat, dairy and sugary foods.
- Avoid consuming crumbly and dry foods as they might initiate cough spasm.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!