What is Wheezing?
Wheezing is a high-pitched whistling sound while breathing due to infections which narrow the air passages. This sound is heard clearly when you exhale. However, if the wheezing becomes severe, this sound is also heard when you inhale. Wheezing usually occurs with health conditions such as: asthma, acute bronchitis, aspiration, dysfunction of the vocal cords, etc.
When you have problem with wheezing, breathing is likely more difficult, and sometimes you will feel tightness in the chest (because the muscles that control the process of breathing might be stressed out). Additionally, another symptom of wheezing also includes the feeling of giddiness as well as lack of energy (due to a lack of oxygen absorbed),
What causes Wheezing?
Wheezing is usually caused by other diseases, such as asthma, bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchoconstriction caused by medication, etc. Among of them, the main cause is usually asthma.
Wheezing can be worse over time if you do not plan to treat. In the first period of wheezing, you can apply home remedies to get rid of wheezing in safe and effective ways without seeing doctor.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for wheezing which you can easily try out at home in order to effectively get rid of wheezing and strengthen your respiratory system…
Honey is always considered as a great food for health as well as one of the top home remedies for wheezing. With anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, honey helps you remove the bacteria which cause wheezing and get rid of them.
How to use:
- Drink a teaspoon of honey several times daily. Additionally, honey will bring the best result when you combine it with ginger juice or garlic cloves for their anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Honey also has many properties in treating many other problems for health and beauty. You can see more at: Home Remedies for Dry Skin.
Garlic is an effective remedy for wheezing as well as asthma and cough caused by bacterial infections. You can use this home remedy for wheezing in the following way:
- Crush 3-4 cloves of garlic and boil with a cup of water.
- Drink this several times a day to see the best result.
For more information about the benefits and applications of garlic, please read: Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another one of those simple yet effective home remedies for wheezing because it helps keep the mucous under control and prevent the clogging of the airways that causes asthma wheezing.
How to use:
- Drink one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice every morning.
- Another alternative is a glass of lemon juice without sugar which can help keep the airways clear and reduce the instances of cough and cold.
Lemon juice is extremely good for the health. It can significantly effective in treating many types of allergy. You can read more at: Home Remedies for Allergies.
4. Steam Inhalation
Steam is one of the most efficient methods for wheezing treatment in order to get rid of the thickened phlegm from your airways.
How to use:
- Use a pot full of boiling water.
- Cover your head and the pot with a thick cloth.
- Inhale the fumes through your nose and mouth at least for fifteen minutes.
- You can use this whenever the symptoms of wheezing appear.
5. Mustard Oil
Mustard is famous for breaking down mucous build up inside the airways and relieving asthma wheezing. Therefore, it is usually recommended as one of the top useful home remedies for wheezing. Especially, mustard can bring the best result if you mix it with camphor.
How to use:
- Take some mustard oil and warm it slightly.
- Add some camphor powder and mix well.
- Gently massage this on to your chest area for 15 minutes.
- You should do this twice a day to prevent the symptoms from surfacing again.
6. Sesame Oil
Similar to mustard oil, sesame oil is also a decent choice for treatment of wheezing.
How to use:
- Add 100 ml sesame oil to half a teaspoon of asafetida and a pinch of camphor.
- Mix them well and store in a dark colored glass bottle.
- Use it to gently massage on to your chest and upper back to relieve the symptoms of wheezing.
- Use this twice daily.
Coffee is also considered as a good home remedy for wheezing because caffeine in it can help melt the obstructive phlegm, reduce the inflammation and open up the air passages in order to get rid of wheezing.
You can drink a hot cup of black coffee to reduce the symptoms.
8. Red Chili
The hot red chilies can help open the air passages, so it is usually used in wheezing treatment. They also help make mucus of mouth, throat or lung become thin and so you can easily breathe.
Therefore, have some red chili when the symptoms appear will be very effective.
- Add half a teaspoon of freshly ground powder of turmeric to a glass of warm water.
- Drink this every day for wheezing to reduce the symptoms.
10. Licorice Tea
Licorice tea is another useful treatment of wheezing.
How to use:
- Take a long licorice root, crush it and put it in two cups of water.
- Steep it for 5 minutes and then boil for 10 minutes.
- Drink the tea every day to see the positive result.
- Besides, you can also drink ginger tea to have similar result.
11. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba has been well-known for treatment of wheezing and bronchitis as well as increasing the function of the lungs for many centuries. This home remedy for wheezing can help get rid of wheezing if you use in the following way:
- Add a little of ginkgo biloba to boiling water and steep it before use.
- You can use this herb along with other powerful herbs for wheezing like garlic or ginger to increase the efficiency of the treatment.
12. Sip Lobelia
Being one of many effective home remedies for wheezing, you can make sip lobelia tea to drink daily in order to relax the nerves and control the wheezing. However, you should slowly drink it in small sips because drinking it quickly can cause vomiting.
13. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil possesses ability for opening the blocked air passages and offering instant relief from wheezing. You can use it as a home remedy for wheezing by taking a few drops of eucalyptus oil and add it to the pot of boiling water which you use for steam inhalation. Inhaling the fumes can bring instant relief for symptoms.
Being a natural anti-inflammatory agent and rich in omega 3 fatty acids, flaxseed is the treatment which cannot be left out from many useful home remedies for wheezing thank to its capability in reducing asthma wheezing and preventing the regular occurrence of the symptoms.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of extracted oil from flaxseeds every day or chew half a teaspoon of flaxseeds every day.
Fish has always been referred as a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help enhance the ability of the lungs to deal with irritants and reduce the asthma attacks. So eating fish is an effective method for treatment of wheezing. You should increase the amount of fishes in your daily diet to reduce the symptoms of wheezing.
If you have problems with a wheezing in a long time without treating, it can get worse over time and degrade your quality of life. Therefore, getting rid of wheezing when its symptoms start to appear should be the first priority. The above home remedies for wheezing will help you reduce the symptoms and even effectively get rid of wheezing without meeting the doctor.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!