What is Typhoid Fever?
Often known under the shorter term Typhoid, it is the term used to call the type of bacterial infection which occurs in bloodstream and intestinal tract.
What causes Typhoid Fever?
The bacteria often penetrate the body through means like contaminated water and foods. After coming into the body, they will multiply and spread into bloodstream through absorption at the intestines. Then the bacteria will infect your body parts such as spleen, liver, gallbladder, lymph nodes as well as many others.
This disease is commonly found in countries which are less industrialized. It means the drinking water is polluted and unsafe; flooding and sewage disposal is inadequate.
Signs of typhoid are also similar to common symptoms of fever such as abdominal pain, headache and weakness.
As the disease worsens, it can show signs like constipation or diarrhea, lack of appetite and vomiting, hallucinations with delirium or lethargy, chills, skin rashes, nosebleeds or blood together with stools, enlarged liver and even mood swings.
The symptoms can be alleviated in 2 – 4 weeks followed by appropriate treatment.
The most obvious treatment of typhoid is certainly antibiotics which are prescribed by the doctor. However, it is compulsory to finish the antibiotic treatment completely in order to avoid any recurrence of typhoid.
It is recommended to use clean water together with maintaining good sanitation and hygiene to prevent the infection from spreading. Also there are vaccines which can help you be immune to typhoid.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for typhoid fever which are easy for you to apply at home in order to get rid of the fever and strengthen your immunity against future infections.
1. Cold Compress
The simplest and most efficient tip from the list of home remedies for typhoid fever is certainly cold compress. It will bring down the high temperature of your body during the fever.
How to use:
- Take a washcloth and soak in cool water. Squeeze off the excess water and apply onto the forehead. Keep changing the cloth regularly. Perform until the temperature is down.
- Also you can apply some damped washcloths at areas like groin, armpits, hands and feet in order to bring down the temperature. Perform regularly to have the fever under control.
Note: Avoid using ice or extremely cold water as it might make the condition worse.
Cold compress is an extremely effective temporary remedy to reduce body heat which can comes from infections or body reaction to external factors like bee’s venom. You can find out more about the effectiveness of cold compress at: Home Remedies for Bee Sting.
2. Increase Intake of Fluid
The diarrhea as well as high fever will make you dehydrated. Therefore, this tip though it is easy but it is highly regarded in the list of home remedies for typhoid fever. The fluid will enable your body to eliminate waste toxins and maintain hydration.
How to do:
- Consume 8 – 10 glasses of purified water every day. Also, it is recommended to boil the water if it comes from the tap.
- Besides, you can consume other fluids such as fresh fruit juices, herbal teas, coconut water, glucose water or soups.
3. Homemade ORS
Fluid resuscitation or replacement is extremely essential for people who suffer from diarrhea in order to prevent dehydration. ORS is usually considered the potent treatment from the list of home remedies for typhoid fever as it can significantly decrease the intensity of typhoid as well as promote the healing.
You can use either ORS from any drugstore or you can choose to make it yourself at home.
How to do:
- Take ½ teaspoon of salt with 2 teaspoon of sugar into some drinking water.
- Consume the solution for couples of time per day.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
It is would a huge mistake to not mention the apple cider vinegar from the list of home remedies for typhoid fever. The acidic property can help you get rid of excessive heat and bring down body temperature. Furthermore, it can supply the minerals loss from diarrhea.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of vinegar with a little bit of honey into some water. Consume before meals for 5 – 7 days.
- Also you can take 1 portion of vinegar with 2 portions of cool water. Take a cloth to soak in the mixture, squeeze off the liquid and apply onto abdomen and forehead. Have the cloth changes when it is warm. Perform until the fever is subsided.
For more information about the benefits and applications of apple cider vinegar as a natural remedy, please read: 16 Ways That Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits You.
Similar to apple cider vinegar, garlic is also the tip from home remedies for typhoid fever that you should always keep in mind. It can boost up your immunity as well as assist you in getting rid of harmful toxins and promoting quick healing.
How to use:
- Consume 2 cloves of garlic while your stomach is empty for several weeks.
- Also you can take ½ teaspoon of crushed garlic with a cup of milk and some water. Have the mixture boiled until the liquid is ¼ of the beginning. Consume 3 times per day.
Note: Women who are pregnant and small children should avoid using this tip.
Garlic is effective at treating not only internal problems like typhoid fever but also external conditions like psoriasis which is skin infection. You can find out more about this condition and how garlic can counter it at: Home Remedies for Psoriasis.
The first herb in the list of home remedies for typhoid fever is none other than basil. The antibacterial and antibiotic properties from basil are excellent in eliminating the bacteria. Furthermore, it can effectively reduce fever, ease the stomach and improve your immunity.
How to use:
- Take about 20 leaves of basil with a teaspoon of crushed ginger into some water. Have the mixture boiled until the water remains half. Put in some honey and consume 2 – 3 times per day for couples of day.
- Also you can use the extracted juice from about 5 – 7 leaves. Put in a little bit of grounded black pepper and consume 2 – 3 times per day for several weeks.
The antibacterial property form the essential oil of cloves is the reason why it is included in the list of home remedies for typhoid fever. Moreover, it can help you alleviate the severity of diarrhea and vomiting caused by typhoid.
How to use:
- Take 5 – 7 buds of clove into some boiling water.
- Have it boiled till the water remains half.
- After cooling down, have it strained and then consume the solution during the day.
- Perform for at least a week.
Containing the pectin which is a soluble fiber that can absorb liquid from intestines, it can greatly decrease diarrhea. Furthermore, potassium from banana can supply the loss of electrolytes during diarrhea and fever. Therefore, it is no doubt that banana is presented in the list of home remedies for typhoid fever.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 ripe bananas every day until the fever is improved.
- Also you take 2 bananas to mash with ½ cup of yogurt and a teaspoon of honey. Consume this mixture for 2 – 3 times every day in couples of week.
Another simple yet proven effective tip from the list of home remedies for typhoid fever is buttermilk. It is easy to digest for the stomach, thus improve the recovery as well as help you avoid dehydration.
How to use:
- Consume couples of glass of buttermilk every day until fully recover.
- Also you can take 2 teaspoons of extracted juice from coriander leaves into some buttermilk. Consume 2 times every day for couples of week.
- Another way is taking the pulp of a banana into some buttermilk and consume twice every day.
10. High-Nutrition Foods
It is the compulsory tip from the list of home remedies for typhoid fever. Since you are weak from the fever, you will need to provide nutrition for the body as soon as possible. A proper diet will maintain the balance the electrolytes and fluids in the body while strengthen the immune system.
How to do:
- Increase intake of calorie in order to supply sufficient energy.
- Consume foods rich in protein such as milk and eggs in order to promote recovery.
- Consume more foods high in carbohydrate for more energy.
- Consume more fruit juices, broths and soups to provide loss of mineral like sodium and potassium.
With anti-parasitic property, cranberries can guarantee a spot in the list of home remedies for typhoid fever. Moreover, it can strengthen your immunity effectively.
Note: If you are pregnant or having cranberry allergy, avoid taking this tip.
As a natural disinfectant, lemon can efficiently have the gastrointestinal tract alkalized which is significant for the treatment of typhoid fever.
You can squeeze the juice of a lemon into some water and put in some honey. Consume for 1 week and continue post-recovery.
This fruit is referred as the most incredible one for energizing the body while preventing dehydration. That is why it is here in the list of home remedies for typhoid fever. You can take its juice with either honey or black pepper for better effect.
An extremely common vegetable but a brilliant treatment of typhoid fever due to its abundance in antioxidants that can promote a strong immunity.
The last one on the list of home remedies for typhoid fever is the mighty honey. It is remarkable at regulating the process of digestion. You can take a tablespoon of honey into some warm water and consume as many times as you can per day in order to supply back the lost energy for your body.
- Consume fresh juice from orange in order to maintain coolness and hydration for the body.
- Keep out of sugary products and meats for couples of day.
- Consume more simple foods such as legumes and rice, porridge, raw or boiled vegetables and grilled fish.
- Consume more soups and smoothies with green vegetables in the daily diet.
- Keep out of street foods which are unhygienic and choose home cooked foods instead.
- Do not consume vegetables and fruits without peeling the skin.
- Have your hands washed properly before eating or preparing foods.
- Remember to always use bottle water or boiled water.
- Maintain decent sanitation and hygiene to avoid spreading the disease.
- Keep out of caffeinated beverages, carbonated drinks, tea, alcohol and spicy foods.
- Keep out of dairy products and milk in case of diarrhea.
- Consume more foods rich in fiber in case you are having constipation.
- Take ½ teaspoon of psyllium seeds into some warm water and consume to promote bowel movement.
- Rest sufficiently as this disease will make you incur weakness.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.