In this article, we would to introduce to you about the problems of cavities and decay in tooth together with our top 15 recommendations for the treatment of those issues.
What are Tooth Decay and Cavities?
Tooth cavities and decay is one of the most popular problems regarding oral health. Those problems are commonly seen among older adults, teenagers, especially children. Nonetheless, these problems can occur to anyone.
What cause Tooth Decay and Cavities?
Dental cavities, also called caries are the term use to describe the holes in teeth which is caused by decay of tooth. The decay is triggered by bacterial infection which leads to destruction and demineralization of the teeth’s hard tissues.
Also there are some particular factors which induce the risk of developing cavities that are foods stuck onto teeth, sipping or snacking frequently, lack of oral hygiene, dry mouth and deficiency of fluoride, dental devices as well as worn fillings. Such disorders in eating as bulimia or anorexia can also significantly contribute to some severe dental issues because of repetition in purging.
The symptoms and signs cavities will vary depending on the severity as well as the type of issue. However, there are few common ones such as sensitivity of tooth, toothache, some sharp or mild pain during drinking or eating, visible pits or holes appearing on the infected tooth, some white, brown or even black stains appearing on the surface of tooth.
In case the cavities are not attended properly, they can cause severe toothache, loss of tooth together with infection. There are some types of treatment for the cavities and decay of tooth which are root canals, crowns or fillings.
The most important step to avoid cavities as well as ceasing the worsening of existing cavities is maintaining proper care for your teeth. Have your teeth brushed for about 2 minutes in twice per day after waking up in the morning as well as before going to bed. Also remember to floss once per day while having your tongue cleansed every day.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for tooth decay and cavities which are easy for you to follow in order to stopping the decay of cavities formation of your teeth as well as maintain good oral health.
The first ingredient and most recommended tip in the list of home remedies for tooth decay and gravities is clove. With antibacterial, analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, clove can significantly support you in relieving the pain as well as preventing the cavity from getting spread inside your mouth.
How to use:
- Take 2 – 3 drops of clove oil into ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil and use a cotton ball to apply directly the mixed oil onto the affected tooth. Perform every night before bedtime.
- Another way is taking a whole clove to chew its oil out. Then place the clove underneath the tongue for couples of minutes.
Note: Avoid excessively using clove oil because its purpose is only for relieving temporarily.
The mighty antibacterial and antiseptic properties are what make salt an effective choice from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. Salt can soothe inflammation as well as pain while clearing infection and cease the bacterial growth inside your mouth.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of salt into some warm water. Have it swished inside your mouth for a minute with the focus at the affected tooth. Perform 3 times per day.
- Also you can take ½ teaspoon of salt into some lemon juice or mustard oil to form a paste. Use the paste to gently massage the gums for couples of minute and then finish by gargling using warm water. Perform twice every day in couples of day.
Read more: Health Benefits of Salt.
3. Oil Pulling
This tip from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities have been applied for age in order to decrease cavities together with bleeding gum and even bad breath. It is capable of clearing negative bacteria which are the causes for various dental issues.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of sesame oil into your mouth.
- Have it swished gently for at least 20 minutes.
- Then spit out the oil. Do not swallow or even gargle with the oil.
- Have your mouth rinsed using warm water. For better antimicrobial effect, you can use salt water.
- Then have your teeth brushed as normal.
- Perform every morning while your stomach is still empty.
- Also you might use coconut or sunflower oil instead.
The abundance of antibiotic and antibacterial properties is the reason why garlic is included in the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. It is able to bring some respite for pain as well as improve the healthiness of teeth and gums.
How to use:
- Take 3 – 4 crushed cloves of garlic with ¼ teaspoon of rock salt to form a paste. Use the paste to apply directly onto the affected tooth. Keep it on for about 10 minutes before cleansing off using mouthwash. Perform twice every day in couples of week.
- Also you can use garlic oil to apply directly onto the affected tooth in order to obtain some instant relief.
- Another way is consuming some raw garlic on a regular basis.
The powerful antibacterial compounds from licorice which are licorisoflavan A and licoricidin are excellent at maintain healthy teeth through ceasing the bacterial growth which trigger cavities as well as plague. Therefore, it is no surprise to see licorice in the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities.
- How to use:
- Take some dried powder to brush the teeth regular.
- Also you can take a stick of licorice to use as toothbrush every day.
The incredible anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties from turmeric is beneficial for the maintenance of healthy gums as well as avoiding decay of tooth because of bacterial infection. This spice from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities is the one you should pay attention as it is extremely simple to use yet so effective.
How to use:
- Take some turmeric powder to apply directly onto the affected teeth. Keep it on for couples of minute and then cleanse off using warm water.
- Another way is taking ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder into some mustard oil and use the mixture for massaging the gums and teeth. Keep it on for about 10 minutes and have it spitted out.
- Perform for 1 – 2 times every day in couples of day.
7. Indian Lilac
Also called neem, it is considered one of the most excellent herbs within the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. With antibacterial property, it can eliminate the bacteria which cause cavities efficiently. Furthermore, it is capable of promoting the healthiness and strength of gums and teeth.
How to use:
- Take some juice from neem leaves to apply directly onto the gums and teeth. Keep it on for couples of minute and then cleanse off using warm water. Perform for 1 to 2 times every day.
- Also you can use some soft sticks of neem as a toothbrush.
- Another way is using the toothpaste which contains neem oil.
8. Indian Gooseberry
Also called amla, it is well-known for treating cavities issues due to the high level of vitamin C as well as antioxidants. Therefore, it would a huge mistake if you ignore this fruit from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities.
It is extremely remarkable in fighting against bacteria and combat infections. Moreover, it even improve the healing as well as growth of connective tissue which is beneficial for gums. In addition, it can make your mouth clean and free of bad breath.
How to use:
- Consume a fresh amla every day.
- Also you can consume ½ teaspoon of its dried powder with some water every day.
- In case both the powder and fresh fruit are unavailable, you might use the capsule but only after consulting the doctor.
Containing the anti-cariogenic property, nutmeg is one of those most suggested herbs from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. It is able to help you avoid cavities as well as tooth decay which is triggered by the cariogenic oral bacteria.
How to use:
- Take some nutmeg to grate and have it mixed with some oregano or clove oil. Use the mixture to apply onto the affected tooth and keep it on for about 10 minutes. Then cleanse off using warm water. Perform 3 – 4 times per day.
- Also you can take some nutmeg oil to apply directly onto the affected tooth by using some cotton swabs.
The naturally powerful antibacterial property from wheatgrass is the reason why it is able to make the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities because it can effectively counter those issues as well as assist in alleviating pain.
Moreover, with high content of vitamin A and E together with magnesium, calcium and iron, it can help you maintain strong and healthy teeth efficiently.
How to use:
Consume ½ glass of juice from wheatgrass every day while your stomach is still empty.
- Another way is taking a portion of juice from wheatgrass into 6 portions of water. Have that solution swished inside your mouth for a minute and then spitted out. Perform for 2 to 3 times per day.
- Also you might take some wheatgrass to chew slowly and carefully in order to practice exercises for strong teeth and gums.
11. Garden Sage
Containing many positive properties such as analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic, sage can be considered your ideal option in the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities. It is capable of eliminating the microbes which cause decay, soothing inflammation of gums, improving the healing of cavities as well as the oral health overall. Furthermore, it can help you get rid of bad breath, make your teeth whiter, avoid discoloration and strengthen your gums and teeth.
12. Bay Berry
This herb from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities is rather easy for preparation at home and it is also effective against issues of cavities and decay in tooth. You can take some bay berry barks with some vinegar to form a paste and use it to apply directly onto the affected tooth. It will instantly bring you some relief from toothache.
13. Homeopathic Treatment
Aconitum napellus, phosphorus, Mercurius vivus, etc are some of the homeopathic medications from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities which are proven effective at treatment and prevention of decay and cavities for tooth. You might use a cotton ball to apply those tinctures directly onto the affected tooth. Not only it can instantly relieve you, it can help you avoid being infected any further. However, you need to consult the doctor before applying this tip.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar
The list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities will be incomplete without apple cider vinegar. It is the most excellent ingredient with the capability of eliminating all infections inside your mouth. You just need to have your mouth rinsed using apple cider vinegar for at least 15 minutes and then one more time using cold water. Not only it can ease the pain, it also can alleviate the gum swelling. By performing regularly, you will see that your teeth will be naturally cured and strengthened.
15. Clove Oil and Oregano Oil
The last tip from the list of home remedies for tooth decay and cavities is using clove and oregano oil. With antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, those oils are capable of soothing all pain and swelling for tooth. You can have those oils mixed together and then applied directly onto the affected tooth. Also you can have your teeth brushed using those oils in order to completely eliminate the issues of cavities as well as pain.
- Use the antibacterial mouthwash regularly.
- Have your mouth rinsed using warm water after consuming drink or snack.
- Keep out of drinks and foods which contain refined sugar as they might form plague.
- Consume black and green tea in order to decrease the accumulation of plague as well as bacterial growth inside your mouth.
- Have your teeth brushed and rinsed carefully using warm water after consuming acidic beverage.
- Take some sugar-free gum to chew in order to promote the saliva production and strengthen your teeth.
- Consume sufficient water during the day because not only it can cleanse bacteria off, it can also support the saliva production.
- Consume cranberry juice on a regular basis in order to promote oral hygiene.
- Consume more foods which are rich of vitamins (A, D, E and K), magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and other essential minerals.
- Consume more food which are high in fiber in order to increase saliva production as it is considered the natural bodyguard of your teeth.
- Consume supplement of vitamin D.
- Consume cheese every day in order to relieve some cavity problems.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.