Table of Contents
Tinea versicolor is not either painful or contagious. Nevertheless, it destroys the beauty of your skin, and the likelihood is that you encounter it many times in your life, even when you know how to treat it.
So, how can we put an end to this problem in the long term? Let’s see how natural home remedies for tinea versicolor work for it!
What is Tinea Versicolor?
This fungus remains all the time on skin; however, when there is an excessive growth of the fungus, then the infections occur. The infection will take consequences on your skin which is leaving patches of skin with lighter or darker than the color of the original skin.
Also, these patches will often appear on the upper arms, neck and even go down to back and chest.
Those skin patches are not contagious or causing any pain. However, sometimes they might be itchy and irritating. Also, this problem has another name which is pityriasis versicolor which indicates that the skin is grainy and appears in many colors from white to tan and brown, even pink or some other exotic color.
Read also How To Lighten Skin Naturally
What Causes Tinea Versicolor?
A type of fungus name Malassezia is the main culprit for this infection. It causes disease through disrupting the pigmentation of the natural skin, thus create scaly skin patches with a different color.
This fungus will release an acid which will obstruct the manufacture of melanin that is a pigment with skin color functioning. Also for this infection, the poorness in hygiene does not play the leading role at all.
Who Has Higher Risks of Tinea Versicolor?
A variety of biological as well as environmental elements can jeopardize this condition. Check the list of potential factors that raise your risks of tinea versicolor as below to know whether you are likely to develop the problem or not. They include:
When To See Your Doctors
In case you are suffering from tinea versicolor symptoms, you can help yourself get rid of the problem. It is reported that the over-the-counter (OTC) antifungal medications can help remove the discolored patches of your skin.
Besides, you can use some home remedies for tinea versicolor to handle it quickly!
Nevertheless, in any case, the suggestion is to see the doctor if these cures, including home remedies for tinea versicolor, do not bring about any positive results after few days. In this situation, you might need a prescription medication to aid in controlling the symptoms.
Talk to a doctor so that he or she can understand your condition and give the best treatment.
How Long Does Tinea Versicolor Last?
Most people may ask how long it takes to return to the natural skin. The answer is if you have tinea versicolor, don’t worry since effective treatment can promote your long-term outlook.
But you should take note that even after getting rid of the infection (with natural home remedies for tinea versicolor, for example), the skin can remain discolored in some weeks or months according to the treatment. Your infection can be back as the weather is warmer or more humid. If it returns, make sure to meet the doctor right away so that he can provide you with prescribed medication for several months to keep the symptoms away.
Symptoms of Tinea Versicolor
The most obvious sign is the scaly skin patches appeared, and those patches can possess the color of either darker or lighter than the areas around them.
You might find those patches appear anywhere on your body; however, most common places are trunk and shoulders. You might find those patches appear anywhere on your body; however, most common places are trunk and shoulders. Another characteristic of those patches is that they have sharp borderlines and also they don’t get dark under sunlight.
Therefore, one way to identify those patches is to get tan as those patches will be revealed openly.
This infection might come and go depending on the temperature and seasons, and also there are few more minor symptoms such as itchiness, scaly skin, and more sweat.
In hot and humid climate, you might witness more growth of this fungus. Young adults, as well as teens, are the most vulnerable; however, it doesn’t mean other group ages are excluded. If you have the characteristics as below, you might have higher chances to get infections.
- Excessive sweat
- Vulnerable immune system
- Oily skin
- Lack of nutrition
- Using birth-control pills
- Diagnosed with diabetes
- Usage of medication containing corticosteroids
Home Remedies for Tinea Versicolor
Tinea versicolor is not contagious, but the infection can make yourself feel less and less confident, inflict emotional distress and gradually you will become self-conscious.
Here are the top 15 most efficient home remedies for tinea versicolor which can assist you in speeding up the disappearance of this infection as well as restore your beautiful skin back to how it is in the first place.
Apply these home remedies for tinea versicolor, and you will see how quick it is to get rid of this problem!
1. Tea Tree Oil
It is also one of the most significant home remedies for tinea versicolor. Many people ask how to use tea tree oil for tinea versicolor and here are simple steps to help you perform at home quickly.
How to use:
- Mix approximately seven drops of this oil with a teaspoon of either coconut or olive oil.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the oil the affected skin.
- Let it dry, after that, cleanse with warm water and keep the affected skin dry.
- Perform twice per day for couples of weeks.
2. Coconut Oil
You should use coconut oil as one of the other home remedies for tinea versicolor if tea tree oil does not bring positive outcomes.
How to use:
- Directly apply the oil onto the affected skin and let it dry.
- Another option is mixing a tablespoon of coconut oil with approximately six drops of cinnamon oil. Directly apply the mixture to the affected areas. After 20 minutes, cleanse with warm water.
- Perform 2 to 3 times per day until the infection disappears.
3. Aloe Vera
With the anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties, aloe vera is a tinea versicolor natural cures because it can help stop the spreading of infection as well as improve the healing of injured skin.
How to use:
- Extract the gel and apply directly to the affected skin. Perform 2 to 3 times per day for couples of weeks.
- Another option is mixing a teaspoon of gel with few drops of lavender oil and applying directly to the affected skin. Perform 2 to 3 times per day.
With a lot of probiotics, yogurt can be among the excellent home remedies for tinea versicolor infections related to fungus. Also by using the unsweetened one, it can help you speed up the healing process as well as prevent infection from happening again.
How to use:
- Directly apply yogurt on the affected skin. After about 30 minutes, cleanse with warm water.
- Another option is consuming 2 or 3 cups of yogurt every day to fight the yeast from inside.
5. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil for tinea versicolor treatment is a perfect solution. This oil is the best at the anti-fungal property which can help you control the infection as well as alleviate the symptoms when it comes to home remedies for tinea versicolor.
How to use:
- Mix oregano oil with equal amount of olive oil.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the oil.
- After about 30 minutes, cleanse with warm water.
- Perform once per day for couples of week.
- Another option is taking oregano supplementary pills after consulting the doctor.
In addition to some essential oils for tinea versicolor treatments, garlic, the world’s healthiest food, containing anti-fungal property can control the spreading of the infection as well as relieve you from the itchy feeling. It is the reason why garlic is taking the lead in the list of top natural treatment for tinea versicolor.
How to use:
- Directly apply the juice or oil extracted from garlic onto the affected skin. After 20 minutes, take a shower or even bath. Perform once per day for couples of weeks.
- Consume around three cloves of garlic on an empty stomach with some warm water for controlling fungus and infections.
- Take garlic supplementary pills after consulting the doctor.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is another possible name among top home remedies for tinea versicolor. With antimicrobial property, the vinegar is also good at controlling the development of fungus as well as prohibiting the infection from reoccurring.
It might be a mistake if we do not mention apple cider vinegar for tinea versicolor treatment.
How to use:
- Take some vinegar with equal amount of warm water to make a solution. Use a cotton ball to apply this solution to the affected skin. After about 15 minutes, cleanse with warm water as well. Perform once per day for couples of weeks.
- Another option is consuming the warm water and vinegar solution (2 tablespoons) for twice per day.
With so many excellent properties such as anti-fungal, antibiotic and antiseptic, turmeric can improve the healing and prevent any further infection. This ingredient deserves to become one of the most immediate home remedies for tinea versicolor.
How to use:
- Extract the juice from turmeric and put about four teaspoons of the liquid into a large water bottle. After showering or a bath, pour the solution into the affected skin.
- Take some turmeric powder with equal amount of sandalwood powder and mix with water to create a paste. Put the dough on the affected skin. After about 30 minutes, cleanse with showering or a bath.
- Perform once per day until there are positive changes.
9. Indian Lilac
With similar properties as turmeric, Indian lilac is listed as among natural home remedies for tinea versicolor since it can also help control the infection as well as promote fast healing.
How to use:
- Take some Indian lilac into 2 cups of hot boiling water for about 10 minutes. After that, have them strained and cooled down. Then cleanse the affected skin using that water. Perform 2 to 3 times per day for couples of weeks.
- Crush some Indian lilac with water to make a paste. Put this paste onto the affected skin and let the paste dry. After that, cleanse it off. Perform once per day for couples of weeks.
- Mix the oil extracted from Indian lilac with either coconut or olive oil, and then applying using a cotton ball. Perform twice per day for couples of weeks.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda for tinea versicolor treatment should not be ignored in the list of home remedies for tinea versicolor. By helping you maintain a balanced level of pH through alkalization, baking soda can help you control the infection as well as remove dead cells by acting like a scrub.
Put some baking soda on the affected skin for about 10 minutes. After that, take a bath or shower and use a brush for cleansing the baking soda. Perform for couples of day until there are positive changes.
11. Candle Bush
Consider highly as effective herbal home remedies for tinea versicolor, you can apply using the paste from its leaves with olive oil and put the paste on the affected skin twice per day.
12. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Containing antibacterial and antiviral properties, it can significantly treat infections related to fungus. Apply the extract directly onto the affected skin for 2 to 3 times per day until there are positive changes.
Instead of using as mouthwash, it can be used as a remedy for the fungus infection, primarily as one of the best home remedies for Tinea Versicolor. Use a cotton ball to apply the liquid to the affected skin. Perform twice per day for couples of weeks.
14. Manuka Honey
Besides acting as a moisturizer for your skin, it also contains the pollen from tea tree which makes it useful for treating infections. You will apply it directly on your skin for 14 days for it to take effect.
Read more health benefits of manuka honey in Home Remedies for Cellulitis
15. Healthy Diet
Tinea Versicolor happens due to a vulnerable immune system. Most home remedies for tinea versicolor deal with the temporary problem, but if you want to address it forever, you need to pay attention to your diet.
Therefore, maintaining an active immunity is an essential part of the treatment. Intake proper and enough nutrition can efficiently control the infection and prevent it from coming back. Cures for tinea versicolor and diet is a key to prevent further skin damage.
- Diet rich in vitamin A, B, C and E
- Diet with lots of vegetables and fruits
- Diet includes probiotic products such as yogurt
- Keep out of carbohydrate products as it encourages yeast to develop
- Drink sufficient amount of water to detoxify your body and keep a healthy immune system.
How To Prevent Tinea Versicolor
According to health experts, even when you managed to get rid of it, tinea versicolor can easily happen again. If you have treated successfully, there are some essential steps that you need to take into consideration if you want to prevent future infections. They are composed of:
- avoiding excessive or tanning sun exposure
- avoiding extreme heat and sweating
Read also Home Remedies for Heat Rash
Besides, nutrition plays a vital role in the prevention of tinea versicolor. In addition to knowing which foods are excellent home remedies for tinea versicolor, you also need to be sure about what to avoid.
Foods to stay away from
These foods are potential sources of substances that support the growth of yeast which causes tinea versicolor inside your body. Thus, it is an excellent idea to stay away from them as much as you can on a daily basis.
Alcohol contains a lot of carbohydrates, and it also provides lots of calories. Typically, yeasts are present in the fermentation process of alcohol, which indicates that you absorb a great number of yeasts, especially Candida. It tends to stimulate the overgrowth of yeast inside your body and result in tinea versicolor.
Sugar is a common ingredient in many types of foods. You can find sugar in different forms, such as simple and complex ones. Simple sugar usually provides a low amount of protein and fiber. It also becomes immediate sugar, which has stimulating effects on the development of mold and yeast.
Therefore, you need to eliminate any food which contains much sugar if you want to stay away from this problem. For example, you can limit the consumption of honey in teas or sugar in a cup of coffee.
- Baked Goods
Like alcohol, baked goods often experience the fermentation with the presence of yeast. Also, people mainly use ground grains to make baked goods, which provide much carbohydrate. As a result, all of them contribute to a booming of yeast and worsen the situation of tinea versicolor.
- Barley malt and vinegar
Another crucial recommendation for you to avoid tinea versicolor successfully is to choose appropriate soaps. They should be antifungal and antibacterial to reduce the risk of tinea versicolor coming back.
Any too oily lotions or creams should be inhibited because they enable the yeast and bacteria to grow more and more.
Tinea versicolor appears with its signs as we mentioned above to help you recognize it better. However, there are other problems which have overlapping symptoms, for example, vitiligo. Many people find it challenging to distinguish between vitiligo and tinea versicolor. Here are some tips to help you be sure about your condition.
Overall, vitiligo is commonly seen in your armpits, eyes, groins, wrists, or mouth. It goes with the formation of symmetrical patches on your skin, but it does not have any severe effect on the texture of your skin.
Fortunately, tinea versicolor and vitiligo do not bring catastrophic consequences, and neither of them is contagious.
In general, even though tinea versicolor does not lead to severe consequences, it is such an annoying problem. We lose all confidence because of it. Therefore, we hope that our natural home remedies for tinea versicolor will help you address it quickly.
Remember our prevention tips to keep your skin glowing and shining all the time! SHARE the article if you want to help other people protect their skin more efficiently!
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!