Swollen mouth affects the life of millions of people and although it does lead to the death, the pain caused by swollen mouth can be unbearable. Furthermore, if not treated properly, swollen mouth can have negative impacts on your face in the long term. Therefore, it is crucial to start treatment as soon as you notice the swelling. First, let’s find out about the causes of swollen mouth.
What causes Swollen Mouth?
The reason for swollen mouth varies among us. Some people may experience it due to the problems on their teeth or gums, while others suffer from swollen lip. There are some researches indicating that the deficiency of vitamins, such as B or C, can be responsible for swollen mouth. Besides, allergic reaction is another common cause.
Thanks to medical advances in recent years, you can easily get drugs to get rid of swollen mouth. However, it is worth knowing that several natural ingredients can replicate the same results as drugs and they are more inexpensive and safer. You can consider using some of them before heading for pharmacies.
Here are top 15 natural home remedies for swollen mouth.
1. Cold Compress
It is undeniable that one of the simplest natural home remedies for swollen mouth is cold compress. It can be applied immediately after you notice symptoms of swollen mouth and the fact is that some ice cubes do not cost much, right?
- Get some ice cubes from the fridge and put them into a clean cloth.
- Keep the cloth over the areas affected by swollen mouth.
You can repeat applying this method 2-3 times per day to get rid of swollen mouth as soon as possible.
With antibacterial quality, honey can be considered as one of the most natural home remedies for swollen mouth. Moreover, the moisture honey can provide can help you stay away from inflamed skin and swelling efficiently. The soothing quality of honey will free you from the painful feeling as well. Please read Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcer to know more about the benefits of honey on oral problems.
- A cotton ball should be dipped in raw honey and placed over the swollen areas.
- After approximately 20 minutes, you can use cold water to wash it away.
Home remedies for swollen mouth need to be strongly anti-inflammatory so that they can fight against the pain. Ginger meets this demand perfectly. You can apply it directly over the skin to get rid of swollen mouth within a short time.
- Take a fresh ginger and cut it into thin slices.
- You can add some salt to maximize the benefits.
- Get them over the areas affected by swollen mouth and you will notice the improvements immediately.
4. Tea Bag
One of the most inexpensive home remedies for swollen mouth comes from tea bags which are believed to be useless after we drink tea. Specifically, tea bags have astringent properties which come from the presence of tannins and this helps a lot in the efforts to get rid of swollen mouth and its pain. Black tea bag is strongly recommended.
- Take a black tea bag into warm water.
- 10 minutes later, you take it out of the water and wait until it is cool.
- Then, put it on the swollen mouth and keep it there in at least 10 minutes.
Thanks to its antiseptic and healing qualities, turmeric is regarded as one of the best natural home remedies for swollen mouth. It is suitable for those whose swelling results from the bacterial infection. You ought to use powdered turmeric.
- Take one spoon of the powder into cold water.
- You can pour a spoon of fuller’s earth to get a better result.
- Get the paste applied on the swollen mouth and you should wait until it is dry naturally.
- Take warm water to remove the paste from your mouth.
This method is recommended to be applied twice per day.
If your swollen mouth comes from some problems on the teeth or gums, you had better gargle with salt water – one of the most effective natural home remedies for swollen mouth. It will expel the bacteria causing swelling from the mouth effectively and improve the conditions of your gums as well. Salt water is simple and inexpensive, which explains for its popularity, even in Home Remedies for Cavities.
In addition to salt water, you can also make use of lemon juice to get rid of swollen mouth caused by oral problems. As lemon is strongly acidic, it can prevent the accumulation of bacteria, even in the place where toothbrush cannot reach.
- First, you need to crush a lemon to get the juice.
- Then, pour lemon juice into water and put them over the heat to boil in several minutes.
- 2-3 times per day, use the mixture to rinse your mouth when it is warm.
8. Baking Soda
For those who have this problem due to allergies, baking soda seems to be the best natural home remedy for swollen mouth. It can be used even in case your swollen mouth is resulted in by a bite of an insect or mosquito.
- Take 3 spoons of baking soda to combine with a spoon of water.
- Get the paste rubbed over the swollen mouth.
- After several minutes, use cold water to wash it away.
You can apply this method 2-3 times on a daily basis to get rid of the pain quickly.
9. Aloe Vera
Among natural home remedies for swollen mouth, aloe vera must be the most familiar and simplest one. You do not need to be an expert to be aware of its positive effects on the skin. The soothing quality of aloe vera gel is very good for those who are struggling with the pain.
Rub the gel over the swollen mouth and you can use hands to massage it.
10. Coconut Oil
Not to mention the aromatic smell of coconut oil, it is one of the best home remedies for swollen mouth. The method does not take you so much time and money. Simply get some drops of coconut oil over the swollen areas and massage them for a while.
11. Tea Tree Oil
Another simple way to get rid of swollen mouth is tea tree oil. With anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial qualities, tea tree oil can prevent the bacteria from worsening the situations and remove the itchiness you may suffer from daily.
- First, you need to mix tea tree oil with another oil, such as coconut oil, to reduce the strong quality.
- Get the mixture applied over the areas affected by swollen mouth in several minutes.
- Wash the mouth with cold water.
Clove oil is another great natural home remedy for swollen mouth, especially in case your swollen mouth has some connections with swollen gums. If you cannot get clove oil, cloves should be chewed raw to get the best results.
Cloves can be used in case you suffer from excessive saliva.
13. Warm Compress
Like cold compress, warm compress is also one of the greatest natural home remedies for swollen mouth. The difference is that the warmth of water can enhance the flow of blood inside your body. More blood carried into the mouth will make the swelling gone.
- Prepare hot water and dip a cloth into it.
- Remember to squeeze the cloth to remove excess water.
- Place the cloth over the swollen mouth and repeat until you feel better.
14. Witch Hazel
You may see the swelling in the mouth after a cut. In this circumstance, you can make use of witch hazel which is also one of the most effective natural home remedies for swollen mouth.
- Take a spoon of witch hazel and half a spoon of salt.
- Combine them together.
- Get a cotton ball to dip into the mixture and put it over the swollen mouth.
- Half an hour later, use cold water to wash the mouth.
Last but not least, to get rid of swollen mouth in a short period of time, you should resort to castor oil. They can be rubbed over the swollen mouth or gums twice per day. It will bring immediate effects and you no longer feel the pain.
You may also need to know How To Get Stronger Teeth And Gums.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.