In this article, we would like to introduce to you the top 15 treatments for the soreness on tongue as well as some brief information about the symptoms and causes of this problem.
What is Sore Tongue?
Because tongue is one of the most sensitive parts in your body; therefore, having a sore tongue will definitely bring you a great amount of discomfort as well as pain. Sore tongue can appear under the form of red lumps, small bumps or even raised areas on the tongue.
What causes Sore Tongue?
The cause of sore tongue is hard to be identified exactly. However, there is some common reasons which can lead to a sore tongue is biting tongue accidentally or the tongue is injured from using toothbrush or toothpick.
Also there are some other causes such as heredity, viral infection, changes of hormone in your body, weakening immune system, consumption of salty or spicy foods, disorders or intestines or stomach, stress, lack of vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, zinc, B vitamins and iron.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for sore tongue which are easy for you to follow from home in order to get rid of soreness for tongue as well as improve the healthiness of your tongue.
1. Aloe Vera
The first ingredient and most recommended tip from the list of home remedies for sore tongue is using Aloe Vera. It is excellent at treating problems related to oral health and sore tongue is not exclusion. With its strong anti-inflammatory property, Aloe Vera can significantly alleviate inflammation and pain. It also serves as one of Home Remedies for Geographic Tongue.
How to use:
- Take a leaf of Aloe Vera and extract its gel and then use the gel to apply directly onto the affected area. Perform couples of time per day.
- Another way is cleansing your mouth using the juice from Aloe Vera for 3 to 4 times per day.
2. Baking Soda
The powerful anti-inflammatory property also makes baking soda a considerable solution in the list of home remedies for sore tongue as it can effectively soothe inflammation and pain.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda into some water to form a paste. Use the paste to directly apply onto the affected area for a minute. Then cleanse off using warm water.
- Also you can take a teaspoon of baking soda into some warm water and dissolve and use that solution to cleanse your mouth couples of time per day.
- Perform those methods for 3 to 4 times every day until the problem is gone.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
The antibacterial and antiseptic properties are the reasons why hydrogen peroxide is recommended in the list of home remedies for sore tongue. It is able to lower the risk of getting infection but you should use only the 3% hydrogen peroxide.
How to use:
- Take some 3% hydrogen peroxide and some warm water in equal amount.
- Use the mixture to apply directly onto the affected area using a cotton swab.
- Keep it on for couples of second, and then have your mouth cleansed using warm water.
- Perform couples of time per day in several days.
It is considered the natural antiseptic within the list of home remedies for sore tongue because it is capable of alleviating inflammation as well as pain effectively. Even better, it can help you avoid infection. You can also use salt to get rid of White-Coated Tongue.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of salt into some warm water and dissolve. Use that solution for rinsing your mouth 3 – 4 times every day.
- Also you might take some salt and apply directly onto the affected area in order to dry the sore out. However, there will be some stinging sensations at first.
Containing incredible anti-inflammatory property, licorice is acknowledged as one of the best ingredient wit healing and medicinal properties from the list of home remedies for sore tongue. It will help soothe and calm the affected area.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of its root powder into some water to form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area using a cotton swab. Keep it on for couples of minute and then cleanse off using warm water. Perform couples of times per day.
- Also you can take a tablespoon of licorice root into some water to soak for about 3 hours. Then use that solution for cleansing your mouth couples of time every day.
- Another way is taking 1 – 2 tablets of the 200mg deglycyrrhizinated licorice to chew for 2 – 3 times per day.
Note: People who are having high blood pressure must avoid using this tip.
Read more about Home Remedies for Blisters on Tongue.
6. Lavender Oil
This oil is capable of alleviating inflammation and pain, thus improve the healing as well as skin restore. Therefore, it can provide significant support for the treatment of sore tongue.
How to use:
- Take some drops of lavender oil into some warm water. Use that solution for cleansing your mouth couples of time every day.
- Another way is taking 3 drops of lavender oil with a teaspoon of honey into some hot water. Then put in some cold water for dilution. Use that solution to cleanse your mouth couples of time per day.
Note: Avoid ingesting lavender oil as it might seriously harm your health.
The curative and soothing properties from honey is enough to qualify it for the list of home remedies for sore tongue as it is able to bring excellent relief from inflammation and pain from sore tongue.
How to use:
- Take some honey to apply directly onto the affected area for couples of time per day.
- Also you can take a tablespoon of honey with ½ teaspoon of turmeric to form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area then keep it on for about 5 minutes. After that, cleanse off using warm water. Perform 3 to 4 times every day for couples of day.
Another brilliant herb from the list of home remedies for sore tongue is sage. It contains calming property which is efficient at reducing pain. Furthermore, it even brings the drying and astringent effect onto the sores.
How to use:
- Take some fresh leaves of sage into some boiling water for about 2 minutes and then have them simmered for about 5 minutes. After that, have it strained and put in some tincture of myrrh and let them cool down. Use the mixture to cleanse your mouth couples of time per day.
- Another way is taking some sage powder to apply directly onto the sore. Perform 3 – 4 times per day.
9. Cayenne Pepper
The capsaicin compound is a key component in the list of home remedies for sore tongue as it is capable of temporarily desensitizing the nerves which trigger the pain. That is why cayenne pepper is suggested to be used in order to alleviate inflammation and pain from sore tongue.
How to use:
- Take some cayenne powder into some water to form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area. At first, there will be some irritation; however, the relief will definitely come along later. Perform 2 to 3 times per day.
- Another way is taking some candy with cayenne as ingredient to suck or chew on.
The antiseptic together with astringent properties form alum is incredible at alleviating inflammation and pain while stimulating the healing through having moisture removed from the sore. Therefore, it is no surprise to see alum included in the list of home remedies for sore tongue.
How to use:
- Take some alum powder to apply directly onto the affected area.
- Keep it on for a minute. Avoid swallowing the alum.
- After 1 minute, spit the alum out together with saliva.
- Cleanse your mouth using water.
- Perform again next day if needed.
11. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is required for the production of collagen for your body. Moreover, the antioxidant property from vitamin C is well-known for its ability to soothe burning sensation. Therefore, maintain adequate level of vitamin C is one of the most important advices from the list of home remedies for sore tongue.
You can consume more foods which are abundant of vitamin C such as citrus fruits like lemon, oranges, clementines and grapefruits, strawberries, raspberries, guava, sweet potato, chili pepper, tomatoes and dark green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.
This solution is greatly essential for the treatment of sore tongue because it can bring you instant relief from the most irritating symptoms of sore tongue which is pain. Furthermore, it can even cure few others oral problems like ulcers and blisters as well.
How to use:
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in glycerin.
- Then use the cotton ball to apply directly onto the affected area.
- Let it absorb for a while
- Also you might keep the glycerin on the affected area through the night and have it cleansed next morning using water.
With salt and lactic acid, milk is capable of bringing out a brilliant soothing relief for your tongue. Furthermore, it also contains numerous nutrients such as calcium and proteins which are extremely beneficial for the treatment of sore tongue.
Even better, it can even alleviate the burning sensation in the stomach which might be the consequence from sore tongue. Also it will help you improve your health as well as immunity overall in order to combat against infections.
You can take some milk into the freezer to chill for about 10 minutes and then consume coolly for 2 to 3 times per day.
The powerful compound named tannin from tea contains the cooling property which is remarkable at alleviating pain as well as easing the burning sensation for your tongue. Therefore, it is perfectly normal to have tea in the list of home remedies for sore tongue.
You just need to take a tea bag which has been wet and apply directly onto the affected area then keep it on for couples of minute.
Also you might include such herbal tea as ginger or chamomile tea in your daily diet.
15. Vitamin B
The last tip on the list of home remedies for sore tongue is about vitamin B. Lack of vitamin B can make you incur painful inflammation as well as cracking inside your mouth. Therefore, it is essential for maintain sufficient intake of vitamin B in order to improve the treatment of sore tongue.
It is recommended that you need to intake adequately vitamin B12 in order to maintain circulation balance for your body as well as alleviate the soreness from your mouth.
You can consume more foods which are rich in vitamin B12 such as whole grains, fortified cereals, milk, eggs, fruits, meat, liver, shellfish and fish and even energy drinks.
- Have an ice cube placed onto the affected area for instant relief from pain.
- Take some sips of ice-cold water constantly to alleviate pain.
- Besides having your teeth brushed, it is also equally important to have your tongue cleansed as well. Take a tongue scraper to maintain clean and infection-free tongue.
- Use mouthwash to rinse regularly in order to avoid infection.
- Avoid smoke as well as quit smoking in order to avoid soreness on tongue.
- Practice some deep breathing, yoga as well as consume healthy foods in order to maintain stress under control.
- Do not use toothpaste which contains sodium lauryl sulfate as it might trigger injury for skin cells lining from inside your mouth.
- Remember to have your teeth brushed regularly with soft-bristle brush.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.