What are Skin Abrasions?
Skin abrasions are a common problem that happens to every one at least once in their lifetime. The condition is described as a minor injury or wound of uppermost layer of the skin. Commonly, mild abrasions are most seen in children due to its activities everyday. All the wounds tend to heal on their own after 4-5 days or a week, depending on the severity. In some cases, the abrasions can be much deeper and leave scars on your skin. This is known as avulsions  .
What causes Skin Abrasions?
The reason why abrasions are often seen in children rather than adults is the delicate skin of children. Furthermore, young people tend to have much more physical activities than adults like running, skating, baseball or soccer, etc .
The damage on skin is also a consequence of the continuous scratching after your get insect bite or allergy causing itchiness .
What are the symptoms of Skin Abrasions?
Some people easily get confused between abrasions and other skin wounds. Here are some symptoms of mild abraded skin .
- Swelling and pain
- Tenderness on and around the affected area
- Burning sensation and redness
When the abrasions get worse, there will be more severe symptoms that you should consult a doctor to get medical care .
- Intense pains and swelling
- Excess bleeding
- Weakness in the muscles
With mild cases, wounds can heal on their own without any medical attention. However, you can accelerate the healing process and prevent infection with various natural ingredients. Additionally, with some home remedies, you can also reduce the possibility of getting scars after wounds.
Here are the top 13 most recommended home remedies for skin abrasions that you should apply in order to improve the healing as well as prevent any scar formation.
1. Clean the Abrasion
First and foremost, before applying any home remedies for skin abrasions or medicinal treatments, you need to clean the affected area thoroughly to remove dirt and debris. This not only optimizes the healing process but also ensures there is no infection occurring later  .
- Use antiseptic soap to gently clean the abrassions with cool water
- Then use a clean cloth to pat dry
- To moisturize the skin, apply antiseptic cream over the affected area then use a bandage to cover it
- Do not forget to change the bandage at least once a day
2. Drinking Water
Water is extremely important to our health, especially when you get sick or injury. Although skin abrasions might not be a huge problem to you, it still needs proper attention to make sure there is no possibility of infection happening. Along with home remedies for skin abrasions, do not forget to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to keep yourself hydrated and your skin moisturized. This means a lot with healing process of the skin   .
3. Aloe Vera
Thanks to the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, Aloe Vera is used as an effective ingredient in home remedies for skin abrasions. Besides, the gel also helps to enhance the healing process of skin tissues as well as moisturize the skin  .
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel inside it
- Use the gel to apply on the affected areas
- You can either leave the gel on the skin or cover it with a bandage
- Do not forget to change the bandage with the gel inside at lease 2-3 times a day until you see improvement
Besides, Aloe Vera is excellent in helping women to deal with many beauty issues like stretch marks. To learn more about it, please take a look at Home Remedies for Stretch Marks.
For a long time, honey has been used to treat wound with its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties. One thing special about honey is that it can also reduce the chance of scarring after wound. This makes honey a perfect choice for home remedies for skin abrasions   .
- After cleansing the area, gently rub some honey on it and cover with a bandage
- After 1 hour, remove the bandage and use warm water to wash off the area
- Do this 2-3 times a day to quickly treat skin abrasions
Being rich in antiseptic and antibacterial qualities, turmeric is trusted to be used as a treatment for abraded skin since it can promote healing as well as reduce the risk of infection .
- Make a paste of turmeric powder and water then apply it on the affected area
- Let it dry naturally instead of covering it
- Do this 2-3 times a day to get the best result
6. Lavender Oil
- Make some thyme tea
- Add some drops of lavender oil to the tea
- Use the mixture to gently apply on the abrasions
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you see the improvement on skin
7. Coconut Oil
Another ingredient in home remedies for skin abrasions you should try is coconut oil due to its anti-inflammatory, healing and moisturizing qualities. Aside from the ability to heal and prevent infection, coconut oil can work as a strong protector against dust and bacteria  .
- Spread an proper amount of coconut oil on the affected skin
- Leave the oil there and let it dry naturally without rinsing off
- Do this 2-3 times a day until the skin get completely healed
Coconut oil is also effective in treating many other health problems, including Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.
- Make a mixture if vinegar and water in the ratio 1:3
- Use a cotton swab to apply on the affected area
- Finally, wash it off with warm water
- Repeat this twice daily for the best result
Learn more about other benefit of white vinegar at Home Remedies for Jock Itch.
With antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties, calendula can be used to efficiently deal with abraded skin. Additionally, the flower also contributes to the production of collagen, which stimulates the repair of affected skin  .
- Extract the juice by crushing some of calendula flowers
- Gently apply the juice on the wound and let it dry naturally
- Do this 2-3 times a day for the best result
- Also, you can easily use over-the-counter calendula cream or lotion to quickly treat the abrasions.
Neem, also called Indian lilac, is found with a great content of antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties. Like other ingredients, the leave is effective in prevent infection and promote healing .
- Extract the juice from neem leaves and mix with some turmeric powder.
- After applying the paste on the affected area, leave it for a few hours
- Finally, rinse off with warm water
- Do this 2-3 times on daily basis until you see improvement on the skin
Plantain has shown itself as a successful treatment for abraded skin as it promptly relieves itching, pain and simultaneously promotes the healing process. The plant also makes excellent home remedies for other skin problems, including minor burns or cuts .
- Make a paste from plantain by crushing some leaves
- Apply the paste on the abraded skin
- Rinse off with water after the area get dried naturally
- Repeat the method 2-3 times a day for a few days and you will soon see the improvement
12. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is also known as a powerful antioxidant, which works as one of successful home remedies for skin abrasions. Besides treating and healing the wound, vitamin E also limits the chance getting scars after abrasions  .
- Add more food rich in vitamin E into your daily diet like avocados, olives, spinach, etc.
- At the same time, use some vitamin E oil to gently massage the affected area so that it can be absorbed into the skin. There is no need to rinse the area off with water.
- Do this 2-3 times daily after cleansing the abrasions completely
Learn more about other benefits you can get from vitamin E at Home Remedies for Acne Scars.
13. Vitamin C
Unlike other ingredients, vitamin C cannot be directly applied on the affected areas. Instead, increase its intake in your daily diet so that the vitamin will boost the immunity and accelerate the healing  .
- Have more food rich in vitamin C like strawberries, tomatoes, citrus fruits, broccoli and so on.
- Also, you can take vitamin C supplements.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!