Table of Contents
Shoulder pain is not a particular problem for anyone. It can happen to anyone among us, regardless of ages or gender. And once it happens, you will find it very challenging to focus on anything else.
Nowadays, the number of people experiencing shoulder pain has been increasing significantly. It is due to the bad habits of sitting office for too long. When we lack movement, shoulder pain is likely to occur.
So, how can you manage to address it? Let’s take a look at top 20 home remedies for shoulder pain!
What is Shoulder Pain?
The pain of shoulder can happen at any of those tendons, ligaments or muscles located in the shoulder area. However, there is one thing for sure, that is when your shoulder begins to hurt; it will be so difficult to focus on other tasks.
Shoulder pain does not exclude anyone at any age. People who often stay in front of laptops, smartphones or tablets for prolonged periods are the most vulnerable targets to this condition.
What Causes Shoulder Pain?
There are few significant factors which usually contribute to the occurrence of shoulder pain. The most common one must be the injuries of those soft tissues like ligaments, tendons as well as muscles of the shoulder. The reason can be repetitiveness or some overuse injuries.
Occasionally, the pain in the shoulder can come from injuries of the bicep or neck. Several other causes are bursitis, arthritis, tendinitis, torn cartilage, bone spurs, frozen shoulder, the broken bone at the shoulder as well as injuries to spinal cord .
Some particular diseases which also trigger the shoulder pain like cervical spine diseases at neck or conditions of heart, liver and even gallbladder.
What Increases Your Risks of Shoulder Pain?
In addition to some direct causes of shoulder pain, you might get the pain after a long time of practicing bad habits. Let’s find out what can increase your risk of shoulder pain! After that, you can protect yourself from the problem and might never need our home remedies for shoulder pain.
- Shoulder injuries in the past, including broken bones
- Smoking which inhibits the recovery and reduces your blood supply
- When your shoulder is unstable
- When you have to move the harm over your heads too much (for example, being a waiter or playing baseball)
- Many corticosteroid injections in your shoulder. They make your tendons weaker
Besides pain, you might experience signs such as trouble in shoulder movement as well as swelling and tenderness at joint area.
Minor pain of shoulder can be treated entirely from home; however, it is recommended to consult the doctor in case the condition worsens.
Home Remedies for Shoulder Pain
Here are the top 20 most effective home remedies for shoulder pain which you can follow easily from home in order to get rid of pain from shoulder and strengthen your shoulder muscles.
1. Cold Compress
Cold compress is the most straightforward yet most effective one among top home remedies for shoulder pain. It gives you an instant relief. The cold will be able to help you numb the affected area, thus alleviate pain and inflammation.
How to do:
- Take some ice cubes into a bag of plastic and have the bag wrapped in a towel.
- Apply the pack directly onto the affected area for about 15 minutes.
- Perform couples of time every day for several days.
Also, you might take a towel and soak in cold water then apply directly onto the shoulder.
Note: Avoid using ice directly on the skin as it might cause frostbite.
2. Hot Compress
Similar to cold compress, it is also an extremely useful tip from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain which can bring you instant relief from swelling, inflammation, and pain.
It is recommended to use hot compress after the injury has occurred for 48 hours. This compress is also effective at easing the pain from muscles which are stretched out.
How to do:
- Take a hot bag and fill it with hot water then apply directly onto the shoulder for about 15 minutes in a comfortable lying position. Perform couples of time per day.
- Also you can use the shower to run some slightly hot water over the shoulder for about 10 minutes. Maintain a still standing position during this time. Additionally, you might enjoy some hot shower twice every day.
By using compression, it means applying some equal pressure on the affected area to decrease the swelling. Something like a compression wrap will be able to bring you sufficient support for the shoulder as well as ease the discomforts.
It is simple, but it is one of the best home remedies for shoulder pain you can try on your own.
You can use some kinds of the elastic bandage or even a warm wrap which is easily found at the market. Have your shoulder wrapped for couples of day until the swelling and pain are subsided.
Additionally, you should keep the shoulder elevated using the pillow in order to improve the healing.
Note: Do not wrap excessively tight as it might lead to inefficiency in circulation and make the condition worse.
4. Epsom Salt
The magnesium sulfate is what makes Epsom salt a valuable option in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. It is capable of improving circulation of blood as well as relaxing the stressed muscles at the shoulder in particular and the whole body in general .
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of Epsom salt into a warm bath and dissolve.
- Soak your whole body including the shoulder under the water for at least 20 minutes.
- Perform 3 times per week.
This tip is well recommended in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain due to its effectiveness. Have your shoulder massaged gently will release tension and stress from the shoulder. Additionally, it will enhance the circulation of blood while decreasing the stiffness and swelling .
You need to get massage from professional massage therapist and you might use some essential oil like mustard, sesame, coconut or olive oil for better effect.
How to do:
- Take some oil and warm it up then apply directly onto the shoulder.
- Have the muscles at the shoulder squeezed and pressure gently to alleviate pain as well as encourage the flow of blood.
- After massaging for 10 minutes, take a warm towel to apply onto the shoulder for maximized effect.
- Perform couples of time every day.
Note: Avoid massaging the affected area in case it incurs pain.
The curcumin compound from turmeric is its crucial reason for the presence of turmeric in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. Also with the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, turmeric can significantly alleviate swelling as well as pain.
How to use:
- Take two tablespoons of turmeric powder with a tablespoon or more of coconut oil to mix and form a paste. Use the dough to apply onto the shoulder and allow it to dry out. Then cleanse off using warm water. Perform twice every day.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some boiling milk. Add in some honey and consume twice every day.
- Also you might take supplement of turmeric for 250 – 350mg in 3 times every day but only after consulting the doctor.
Note: Do not excessively consume turmeric if you have medication for blood thinning.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be a huge mistake to skip apple cider vinegar from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. It contains the most amazing anti-inflammatory property and even the alkalizing property which can efficiently soothe the inflammation and pain.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of vinegar in a warm bath. Soak your body including the shoulder under the water for at least 20 minutes. Perform once every day in couples of day.
- Also you can consume 1 tablespoon of vinegar mixed in warm water with some honey for twice every day in 1 week.
With anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it is no surprise to see ginger included the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. Furthermore, it can help you improve the circulation of blood, thus promote the healing process. You can read more about Health Benefits of Ginger to have a better idea of what it is.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 cups of ginger tea every day. In order to prepare the tea, take a tablespoon of sliced ginger into some boiling water and have it simmered for about 10 minutes. Then have it strained, put in some honey and consume.
- Also you might take the supplement of ginger but only after consulting the doctor.
9. Lavender Oil
The beautiful essential oil can make the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is because it can provide tremendous support in relaxing the tired muscles at the shoulder while helping alleviate inflammation and pain as well.
How to use:
- Take some drops of lavender oil into a hot bath. Soak the body including the shoulder under the water for at least 30 minutes. Perform once every day.
- Also you can take some drops of lavender oil with 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil to mix together and warm up. Use the warm mixed oil for massaging the aching and tense muscles at the shoulder for about 10 minutes 2 times per day in couples of day.
10. Olive Oil
As stated above, many essential oils are great tips on how to stop shoulder pain and olive oil is an outstanding example. Like others, it is a great addition to your blood circulation, which enables you to stay away from swelling. You can use this oil on the skin directly.
However, in order to get better result as a shoulder pain relief, you had better use warm olive oil. In this way, its nutrients will be more quickly absorbed into your skin.
In many circumstances, shoulder pain results from some health issues and maybe you also suffer from neck muscle pain, for example. Arthritis is among the most common causes. But you do not have to worry. Just in case everything comes from arthritis, you can use lime as a wonderful tip on how cure shoulder pain as well as a neck pain therapy.
The best way to use lime to fight against pain is to mix it with honey. Both are anti-inflammatory and help to reduce toxins in your body.
12. Blackstrap Molasses
The use of blackstrap molasses to reduce shoulder pain has been tested for many years. Even though there has not been a conclusion yet, it is highly possible that its magnesium content is responsible for its benefits. You will speed up shoulder pain treatments at home very well. Another way to maximize the results for the bruised shoulder is to use molasses with apple cider vinegar.
How to do:
- You would need molasses (1/4 cup), apple cider vinegar (half a cup), honey (half a cup) and ground ginger (1 teaspoon).
- Mix all of them in water
- Consume it regularly every day
13. Coconut Oil
Most ingredients in this list have versatile applications, and coconut oil is the same. It is undeniable that it is one of the most common home remedies for shoulder pain. Its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial nature will support you in the attempts to tackle shoulder pain or even neck muscle pain.
There are many ways to use coconut oil. You can use it to massage your shoulder regularly or it can be even applied on foods for consumption.
14. Hot Pepper
Hot pepper has burning effects, mainly because of its content of capsaicin. This compound has been well-known to deal with pain resulting from some problems, such as arthritis or muscle pain. Therefore, you can use hot pepper as one of the immediate home remedies for shoulder pain.
How to apply:
- Pour cayenne pepper (about half a teaspoon) in olive oil (1 cup)
- Mix aloe vera gel as well
- The paste should be applied over shoulder
An important note is that you never should let the mixture contact with your mouth, eyes or nose. Or else you might suffer from severe irritations.
This herb is capable of promoting the flow of blood in the body which is extremely beneficial for alleviating swelling and inflammation. Therefore, it is understandable why alfalfa can make an appearance in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain.
How to use:
- Consume 1 – 2 cups of alfalfa tea in couples of day. In order to prepare the tea, take a teaspoon of this herb’s dried leaves into some hot water and have it steeped for about 5 minutes. Then have it strained and consume.
- Also you might take the supplement of alfalfa but only after consulting the doctor.
16. Mint Leaves
The cooling effect from mint can be you most ideal choice from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain in case you need to alleviate the burning sensation coming from the pain at the shoulder. You just need to apply some crushed leaves onto the shoulder on a regular basis.
17. Black Sesame
The only seed fits the requirement of the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is black sesame. It is able to bring you brilliant relief from the pain at your shoulder. You can take some black sesame to soak in water for at least 10 hours. Then you can consume the soaked seeds together with some water.
This mighty ingredient can treat various pains and shoulder pain is not an exception. You can use garlic oil for massaging the shoulder. Or you can take some cloves of garlic to boil in coconut oil. Then use that mixture to apply directly onto the shoulder for pain relieving. Also you might opt for olive oil in this mixture in case coconut oil is unavailable.
19. Improve Rhomboids
They are the muscles which lie in between the shoulder blades and considered the essential muscles for movement of the shoulder. If you want to have stronger shoulder, you will need to have stronger rhomboid muscles first.
You need to practice such movements as push and pull as well as reaching. Having weak rhomboids can also cause pain for the shoulder. The most recommended exercise for rhomboids is rowing.
20. Healthy Diet
The last tip from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is fairly easy but will take a lot of effort to follow efficiently. You will need to alter the diet plan if you are suffering from shoulder pain. You should consume more foods which are rich of protein in order to improve the strength of your muscles.
Additionally, foods which are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids are also required in order to relieve the pain such as oily fish like tuna and salmon, nuts and seeds. There are foods which can be used as snacks for you to munch on during break time.
- Have your shoulder rest as much as you can for several to improve the healing.
- Elevate the shoulder using pillows in order to decrease pain and swelling.
- Keep correct posture in order to support the quick healing of your shoulder.
- When suffering from shoulder pain, keep the elbow on the side in order to let the shoulder take a break.
- Apply some simple stretching exercises for neck to support the treatment of shoulder pain.
- Take a thicker pillow for sleeping in order to have sufficient support for the shoulder and neck.
- Apply acupressure and acupuncture for prompt recovery.
- Take some light exercises for stretching in order to alleviate pain. In case, you are not sure, consult the professional trainer.
- Consume couples of glass of lemon water every day in order to avoid deposit of minerals at joints which can trigger pain at the shoulder as well as other parts of the body.
- Take the 0.0125%-capsaicin gel to apply onto the shoulder for pain relieving.
- Keep out of smoking as well as other products from tobacco because they might decelerate the healing.
When to See Doctor
Even though home remedies for shoulder pain can help you get rid of it, there are cases when you need emergency services instantly. It is when your shoulder pain comes along with pain in your chest and some signs of heart problems, like nausea or breath shortness.
Besides, if your shoulder is injured, you will need your doctor immediately. Paying attention to your past of shoulder problems is essential. And do not hesitate to share it with your doctor so that he or she can come up with the best treatment.
So, if you notice one of these signs, seek medical help immediately.
- Sudden swelling
- Severe pain
- Deformed joints
- Inability to move the joint or arm properly
- Redness around your joint
Is Surgery Necessary?
Surgery is available to help you cope with shoulder pain. Nonetheless, it should be the last option after you have applied all possible ways, including home remedies for shoulder pain.
When you agree to do surgery, you need to know that there are effects after that. Some possible effects are allergic reactions, local infection, chronic pain, or even nerve damage.
But surgery is an excellent choice just in case you have osteoarthritis, which possibly results in bone spurs.
After surgery, you should give your body some time to recover. Some basic stretching exercises or therapies may be useful to accelerate your healing process.
How to Prevent Shoulder Pain
Shoulder muscle pain is a very common problem for us today, and it might go without our recognition.
However, learning how to stop shoulder pain is not the key. We have to start from how to prevent shoulder pain. Typically, it comes from our awkward positions, when we work or sleep. Therefore, it is time to make slight changes in your daily life.
Besides, if shoulder pain is caused by injuries, you have to allocate time to help your body recover. The application of these home remedies for shoulder pain is only a part of the process, as you have to take care of yourself first by knowing how to avoid the pain.
As most of us spend more time on sitting than on standing, it is essential to learn how to sit properly so that your shoulder does not suffer from pain. Therefore, it is time for you to re-examine your sitting place at the office to check its comfort.
When you sit, you should let your shoulders relax and support your lower back. Put your elbows near to the body, while your forearms, wrists and hands ought to be in one line. Your thighs are parallel to the ground.
If you find it hard to sit straight, the suggestion is to participate in tai chi or yoga classes, where you will get instructions on doing so properly. They also improve your core strength and have positive impacts on your posture.
Regular breaks and unwinding
The primary reason why so many people have shoulder pain at the office is that they lack movement and breaks. It is essential to give your body a small break every 30 minutes. You do not need to run in the park during this break. All you need is to shake your arms a little bit.
Furthermore, let your eyes, neck, and head relax for a while. Stand up and walk around the office with some conversations. After that, you not only reduce the risk of shoulder pain but also strengthen the relationship with other people.
The shoulder is a complex and vital part of our body as it supports bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. However, many people seem to ignore it during the workout.
In fact, shoulder exercises should play a drastic role in your workout.
If you are new to this kind of exercise, do not do it alone! You can find an expert and ask for help to prevent any possible injuries to your shoulder.
In general, you can address the problem quickly with our home remedies for shoulder pain. They are efficient, economical, and safe for your well-being in the long term.
Nevertheless, the bottom line is to make changes in your daily habits. If you are continuing sitting too long or having an improper movement for a long time, the likelihood is that shoulder pain will come back soon.
Therefore, let’s spread the information about the risks of shoulder pain by SHARING this article and do not forget to show us your support for our work!
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!