What is Shoulder Pain?
The pain of shoulder can happen at any of those tendons, ligaments or muscles located at the shoulder area. However, there is one thing for sure, that is when your shoulder begins to hurt; it will be so difficult to focus on other tasks.
Shoulder pain does not exclude anyone at any age. People who often stay in front of laptops, smartphones or tablets for prolonged periods are the most vulnerable targets to this condition.
What causes Shoulder Pain?
There are few major factors which usually contribute to the occurrence of shoulder pain. The most common one must be the injuries of those soft tissues like ligaments, tendons as well as muscles of the shoulder. The reason can be repetitiveness or some overuse injuries.
Occasionally, the pain in shoulder can come from injuries of the bicep or neck. Several other causes are bursitis, arthritis, tendinitis, torn cartilage, bone spurs, frozen shoulder, broken bone at the shoulder as well as injuries to spinal cord.
Some particular diseases which also trigger the shoulder pain like cervical spine diseases at neck or diseases of heart, liver and even gallbladder.
Besides pain, you might experience signs such as trouble in shoulder movement as well as swelling and tenderness at joint area.
Minor pain of shoulder can be treated totally from home; however, it is recommended to consult the doctor in case the condition worsens.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for shoulder pain which you can follow easily from home in order to get rid of pain from shoulder and strengthen your shoulder muscles.
1. Cold Compress
The simplest yet most effective tip in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is cold compress as it can provide you with relief almost instantly. The cold will be able to help you numb the affected area, thus alleviate pain and inflammation.
How to do:
- Take some ice cubes into a bag of plastic and have the bag wrapped in a towel.
- Apply the pack directly onto the affected area for about 15 minutes.
- Perform couples of time every day in several days.
Also you might take a towel and soak in cold water then apply directly onto the shoulder.
Note: Avoid using ice directly on skin as it might cause frostbite.
2. Hot Compress
Similar to cold compress, it is also an extremely effective tip from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain which can bring you instant relief from swelling, inflammation and pain. It is recommended to use hot compress after the injury has occurred for 48 hours. This compress is also effective at easing the pain from muscles which are stretched out.
How to do:
- Take a hot bag and fill it with hot water then apply directly onto the shoulder for about 15 minutes in a comfortable lying position. Perform couples of time per day.
- Also you can use the shower to run some slightly hot water over the shoulder for about 10 minutes. Maintain a still standing position during this time. Additionally, you might enjoy some hot shower twice every day.
By using compression, it means applying some equal pressure on the affected area in order to decrease the swelling. Something like a compression wrap will be able to bring you sufficient support for the shoulder as well as ease the discomforts.
You can use some kinds of elastic bandage or even a warm wrap which is easily found at the market. Have your shoulder wrapped for couples of day until the swelling and pain are subsided. Additionally, you should keep the shoulder elevated using the pillow in order to improve the healing.
Note: Do not wrap excessively tight as it might lead to inefficiency in circulation and make the condition worse.
4. Epsom Salt
The magnesium sulfate is what makes Epsom salt a valuable option in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. It is capable of improving circulation of blood as well as relaxing the stressed muscles at the shoulder in particular and the whole body in general.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of Epsom salt into a warm bath and dissolve.
- Soak your whole body including the shoulder under the water for at least 20 minutes.
- Perform 3 times per week.
This tip is well recommended in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain due to its effectiveness. Have your shoulder massaged gently will release tension and stress from the shoulder. Additionally, it will enhance the circulation of blood while decreasing the stiffness and swelling.
You need to get massage from professional massage therapist and you might use some essential oil like mustard, sesame, coconut or olive oil for better effect.
How to do:
- Take some oil and warm it up then apply directly onto the shoulder.
- Have the muscles at the shoulder squeezed and pressure gently in order to alleviate pain as well as encourage flow of blood.
- After massaging for 10 minutes, take a warm towel to apply onto the shoulder for maximized effect.
- Perform couples of time every day.
Note: Avoid massaging the affected area in case it incurs pain.
The curcumin compound from turmeric is its key reason for the present of turmeric in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. Also with the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, turmeric can significantly alleviate swelling as well as pain.
How to use:
- Take 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder with a tablespoon or more of coconut oil to mix together and form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the shoulder and allow it to dry out. Then cleanse off using warm water. Perform twice every day.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some boiling milk. Add in some honey and consume twice every day.
- Also you might take supplement of turmeric for 250 – 350mg in 3 times every day but only after consulting the doctor.
Note: Do not excessively consume turmeric in case you are having medication for blood thinning.
You can find out more about 10 Benefits of Turmeric.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be a huge mistake to skip apple cider vinegar from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. It contains the most amazing anti-inflammatory property and even the alkalizing property which can effectively soothe the inflammation and pain.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of vinegar into a warm bath. Soak your body including the shoulder under the water for at least 20 minutes. Perform once every day in couples of day.
- Also you can consume 1 tablespoon of vinegar mixed in warm water with some honey for twice every day in 1 week.
With anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it is no surprise to see ginger included the list of home remedies for shoulder pain. Furthermore, it can help you improve the circulation of blood, thus promote the healing process.
Read more about Health Benefits of Ginger.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 cups of ginger tea every day. In order to prepare the tea, take a tablespoon of sliced ginger into some boiling water and have it simmered for about 10 minutes. Then have it strained, put in some honey and consume.
- Also you might take the supplement of ginger but only after consulting the doctor.
9. Lavender Oil
The beautiful essential oil can make the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is because it can provide tremendous support in relaxing the tired muscles at the shoulder while helping alleviate inflammation and pain as well.
How to use:
- Take some drops of lavender oil into a hot bath. Soak the body including the shoulder under the water for at least 30 minutes. Perform once every day.
- Also you can take some drops of lavender oil with 1 – 2 tablespoons of olive oil to mix together and warm up. Use the warm mixed oil for massaging the aching and tense muscles at the shoulder for about 10 minutes 2 times per day in couples of day.
This herb is capable of promoting the flow of blood in the body which is extremely beneficial for alleviating swelling and inflammation. Therefore, it is understandable why alfalfa can make an appearance in the list of home remedies for shoulder pain.
How to use:
- Consume 1 – 2 cups of alfalfa tea in couples of day. In order to prepare the tea, take a teaspoon of this herb’s dried leaves into some hot water and have it steeped for about 5 minutes. Then have it strained and consume.
- Also you might take the supplement of alfalfa but only after consulting the doctor.
11. Mint Leaves
The cooling effect from mint can be you most ideal choice from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain in case you need to alleviate the burning sensation coming from the pain at the shoulder. You just need to apply some crushed leaves onto the shoulder on a regular basis.
12. Black Sesame
The only seed fits the requirement of the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is black sesame. It is able to bring you brilliant relief from the pain at your shoulder. You can take some black sesame to soak in water for at least 10 hours. Then you can consume the soaked seeds together with some water.
This mighty ingredient can treat various pains and shoulder pain is not an exception. You can use garlic oil for massaging the shoulder. Or you can take some cloves of garlic to boil in coconut oil. Then use that mixture to apply directly onto the shoulder for pain relieving. Also you might opt for olive oil in this mixture in case coconut oil is unavailable.
14. Improve Rhomboids
They are the muscles which lie in between the shoulder blades and considered the most essential muscles for movement of the shoulder. If you want to have stronger shoulder, you will need to have stronger rhomboid muscles first. You need to practice such movements as push and pull as well as reaching. Having weak rhomboids can also cause pain for the shoulder. The most recommended exercise for rhomboids is rowing.
15. Healthy Diet
The last tip from the list of home remedies for shoulder pain is fairly easy but will take a lot of effort to follow efficiently. You will need to alter the diet plan if you are suffering from shoulder pain. You should consume more foods which are rich of protein in order to improve the strength of your muscles. Additionally, foods which are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids are also required in order to relieve the pain such as oily fish like tuna and salmon, nuts and seeds. There are foods which can be used as snacks for you to munch on during break time.
- Have your shoulder rest as much as you can for several to improve the healing.
- Elevate the shoulder using pillows in order to decrease pain and swelling.
- Keep correct posture in order to support the quick healing of your shoulder.
- When suffering from shoulder pain, keep the elbow on the side in order to let the shoulder take a break.
- Apply some simple stretching exercises for neck to support the treatment of shoulder pain.
- Take a thicker pillow for sleeping in order to have sufficient support for the shoulder and neck.
- Apply acupressure and acupuncture for prompt recovery.
- Take some light exercises for stretching in order to alleviate pain. In case, you are not sure, consult the professional trainer.
- Consume couples of glass of lemon water every day in order to avoid deposit of minerals at joints which can trigger pain at the shoulder as well as other parts of the body.
- Take the 0.0125%-capsaicin gel to apply onto the shoulder for pain relieving.
- Keep out of smoking as well as other products from tobacco because they might decelerate the healing.f
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!