What is Shortness of Breath?
Breathlessness can vary from mild, moderate to severe. Also occasionally, people might experience stress or anxiety which can worsen the condition.
What causes Shortness of Breath?
In fact, it is completely normal to experience breathlessness when you go over your usual level of physical activities or when you climb up somewhere with high altitudes and lack of oxygen. In that case, you just need to rest for a while then your breath will start to normalize.
However, there are health problems whose symptom is breathlessness such as chronic bronchitis, allergies, anemia, some diseases or infections of the respiratory system and heart diseases. Also people with lung cancer will constantly experience this symptom.
Most periods of breathlessness are not severe. However, you will need to consult the doctor in case shortness of breath happens with no obvious trigger, while you are resting, causing trouble to your sleep at night as well as having such symptoms as chest pain, fever, wheezing and tightness at chest or throat.
If you are having dyspnea, it will be hard for you to perform your routine normally. It will take toll on your daily life’s activities and even the life quality.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for shortness of breath which are easy for you to follow in order to control this condition as well as strengthen your health overall.
1. Diaphragmatic Breathing
The first and most recommended tip from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath is certainly diaphragmatic breathing. Also known as deep breathing or abdominal breathing, this technique is extremely helpful in case your breathlessness is occurred due to COPD.
How to do:
- Lie yourself down on the back, take your hands and put on abdomen while relaxing the muscles.
- Inhale deeply by the nose, enlarge the abdomen and inflate the lungs with air.
- Keep the breath for few seconds.
- Exhale slowly by the mouth and deflate completely the lungs.
- Perform for 5 – 10 minutes in 2 to 3 times per day.
2. Pursed-Lip Breathing
Another technique for breathing from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath is pursed-lip breathing. It can efficiently decelerate the breathing pace which will normalize your breathing. Moreover, it can help you ease anxiety as well as stress. Read more at Home Remedies for Stress.
How to do:
- Take a seat comfortably while relaxing the shoulder and neck’s muscles.
- Press both your lips against each other tightly but leave the center of the lips loose.
- Breathe in for few seconds by the nose.
- Breathe out gently and slowly by the pursed lips and count to 4 in your head at the same time.
- Perform the breathing in and out for 10 minutes more.
You can perform this technique anytime you are about to have breathlessness. It will be able to help you relieve in no time.
3. Black Coffee
This odd tip from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath can be significantly helpful. Caffeine is able to ease the fatigue of respiratory muscles as well as enhance the function of airway rather well. Moreover, it might work against symptoms of asthma.
Consume 1 – 2 cups of strong black coffee to soothe breathlessness and normalize your breathing.
However, avoid excessively consuming coffee as it might increase the blood pressure and heart rate.
4. Steam Inhalation
This tip from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath is especially effective against breathlessness caused by some respiratory problems as it is capable of decongesting the nasal passages.
Furthermore, moisture and heat from steam will break down and dilute mucus in order to eliminate easier.
How to do:
- Take a bowl and fill it with extremely hot water.
- Put in some essential oil like peppermint or eucalyptus oil.
- Put your face above the bowl with a towel over the head.
- Breathe in the steam deeply for couples of minutes.
- Perform whenever you are suffering from nasal congestion.
You will be able to ease breathlessness once the congestion is cleared.
It would a big mistake to miss out on ginger in the list of home remedies for shortness of breath. Considered a brilliant expectorant which can clear congestion, it even contains other components which can prevent mucus from secreting in order to aid breathing. Furthermore, it can help you avoid infection of respiratory tract or throat. It is also one of the best ways to deal with chest congestion.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 cups of ginger tea every day. In order to prepare the tea, take a tablespoon of fresh ginger slices into some boiling water. After simmering for about 10 minutes, have it strained and put in some honey then consume slowly.
- Also you might take some pieces of ginger or candies with ginger flavor to chew in order to clear congestion.
In case you are experiencing breathlessness due to anemia which comes from deficiency of iron, then beetroot from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath is the perfect choice for you. Containing high level of iron together with vitamins, potassium, calcium and fiber, it is capable of improving your condition greatly.
How to use:
- Take a medium-size beetroot with 3 carrots, some spinach and ½ a sweet potato to extract their juice. Then consume once every day.
- Another way is taking 1 – 2 beetroots to roast. Let them cool down then peel the skin. Consume with pepper and salt.
- Also you might consume more foods which are rich of iron in your daily diet.
Fennel contains the expectorant property which can eliminate phlegm and cure some of the respiratory disorders such as coughs, bronchitis and congestion. Furthermore, it also contains iron which is essential for the treatment of anemia. Therefore, it is no surprise to see fennel in the list of home remedies for shortness of breath.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of fennel seeds into some hot water and steep for about 10 minutes. Then have it strained and put in some honey and consume for 2 to 3 times per day.
- Also you might take some roasted fennel seeds to chew.
8. Quit Smoking
This is one tip from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath which you must follow completely. Smoke from cigarette can cause numerous breathing problems which include dyspnea for either passive or active smoker.
Therefore, it is necessary to quit smoking as well as keep out of secondhand smoke to avoid problems for your breathing and respiration.
Moreover, it will decrease significantly the risk of getting lung cancer for you because shortness of breath is the indication of lung cancer.
You can consult the doctor as well as sought out help from others in order to quit smoking efficiently.
9. Enjoy Walking
This method is an incredible cure from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath, especially for people who are overweight.
Walking regularly will enhance stamina and decrease the frequency of breathlessness. Even better, it also assist you in losing weight.
Furthermore, walking will distract the subconscious mind, thus help normalize your breathing.
You can walk moderately for 30 – 60 minutes in 5 times per week. It will improve your metabolism as well as stamina.
10. Relaxation Therapies
Therapies such as meditation and yoga can effectively cure the difficulties of your breathing. They are able to enhance the flow of oxygen and blood in the body as well as decelerate the heart rate. Furthermore, they will help you ease anxiety and stress which are the factors that can make your condition worse.
For best effect, you can perform meditation and yoga at open area so that you are able to breathe pure fresh air.
In order to for those therapies to be effective, you need to perform regularly and correctly and you need to learn from the expert.
11. Eucalyptus Oil
The well-known effectiveness of an expectorant herb from eucalyptus oil is the reason why it must be included in the list of home remedies for shortness of breath. There are numerous medications, lozenges and balms with eucalyptus extract; however, it is best to use the pure essential oil as well as its leaves for the treatment.
Eucalyptus oil will clear mucus from air passage to increase the space for air transfer, thus ease the respiratory process. It is due to eucalyptol which is the volatile oil from eucalyptus that can be considered as a pain-reliever. It is capable of dealing with spasm of muscles that can be triggered from restrictive breathing.
12. Camphor Oil
Another amazing essential oil from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath is camphor oil. Besides containing similar mechanism as eucalyptus oil, it can even soothe the inflammation and sharp pain from breathlessness. You can either sniff its aroma or use it to massage the chest area in order to enjoy its benefits.
In case of bronchitis and asthmatic tendency which are the major factors that trigger breathlessness, garlic from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath will be the ideal solution.
Containing the volatile oil Allicin, garlic is considered a natural expectorant which improve space in air passage through clearing congestion as well as improve lung capacity. Therefore, the breathing will become normal.
Moreover, dyspnea might come from failure of congestive heart. However, garlic can deal with that problem just fine as it is acknowledged for being beneficial to problems of heart. Together with consuming garlic raw and including garlic into your daily cooking, you might use garlic oil for relieving instantly.
If you are interested in garlic, read more Health Benefits of Garlic.
This herb from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath has been applied for treatment of respiratory problems in ages. Its remarkable capability in clearing congestion in lungs as well as respiratory tract is what makes it the best herb so far.
It can even promote circulation of blood, thus prevent failure of congestive heart that might trigger shortness of breath.
You can take some myrrh leaves into some hot water in order to prepare the tea. Also there are other supplementary forms such as extracts, capsule and oil that you might use.
15. Pleurisy Root
The last tip from the list of home remedies for shortness of breath is an exotic herb named pleurisy root. It is capable of combating any pulmonary as well as respiratory diseases. Acknowledged as a powerful expectorant herb, it can efficiently clear congestion in bronchial passage and lungs thus normalize the breathing process.
Moreover, this herb can even soothe the inflammation and pain from dyspnea as well as some pulmonary diseases.
- Take note of your breathlessness for better monitoring.
- In case, you are having trouble sleeping, you can try propped-up sleep with some pillows or with a recliner. Also you can lie on the side while there is a pillow in between the legs and the head is elevated with another pillow.
- Do not sleep in room which is too warm as it might make breathlessness worsen.
- You might need to change position in order to relieve breathlessness.
- When you are about to have shortness of breath, cease the current activities and take rest to normalize your breathing.
- Focus to distract the mind rather than the breathing as it will assist the subconscious mind to take over the breathing control.
- Remember to take breaks which are short but regular while performing strenuous activities to prevent breathlessness.
- Keep out of toxic chemicals from either work or home.
- Consume the diet of full vegetables and fruits.
- Consume sufficiently water to maintain hydration and dilute the mucus, thus easier for expelling.
- Remember to consult the doctor before taking any medication or supplement.
- People who have asthma must bring inhaler before doing exercises.
- Have a humidifier running especially for winter because dry air will make mucus thicken causing difficulties for breathing.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.