Table of Contents
What is Scalp Acne?
Similar to other body parts, scalp also has pores which secrete oil or sebum onto the scalp’s surface. Therefore, the sebum as well as dead skin cells and bacteria which exist on your scalp will clog the pores, thus triggering acne outbreak .
What causes Scalp Acne?
There are some common factors which often contribute to the occurrence of scalp acne such as unhealthy diet, poor hygiene, allergic reaction, humid conditions, chemical exposure, pollution, changes in hormone especially in menstruation and adolescence, having tight headgear wearing and scratching scalp often .
Moreover, depression, fatigue and stress are other significant contributors as well .
What are the symptoms Scalp Acne?
It is not too difficult to notice acne on the scalp even though it is covered by hair, as acne may cause you discomforts and pain, especially when combing and brushing the hair. Furthermore, the inflammation and infection from acne on the scalp tend to make the condition worse, leading to folliculitis if they are not treated properly  .
Scalp acne is not difficult to handle as it usually disappear within a week or more .
Here are the top 10 most recommended home remedies for scalp acne that you should consider applying in order to get rid of scalp acne as well as prevent any future outbreak of acne on your scalp.
1. Keep Your Scalp Clean
- Wash your hair regularly with gentle or medicated shampoo used particularly for fighting acne.
- Keep your personal items for hair clean such as brushes, combs, towels, etc.
- If your scalp sweats a lot, wash your hair with clean water if you do not have intention to shampoo that day.
- Stop using conditioner for a few weeks to avoid the excessive production of oil that can cause acne. In case you still want to use it, do not apply onto your scalp and hair roots but only the hair ends.
- Also, avoid other hair products such as wax, gel or hairspray during the time you are suffering from scalp acne.
2. Tea Tree Oil
One of the most powerful ingredients that make home remedies for scalp acne is tea tree oil. Apparently, tea tree oil possesses strong antiseptic properties, which can sterilize the pores, wipe out acne and reduce redness and swelling   .
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil into 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Use the mixture to massage your scalp then leave it for 1-2 hours. Finally, wash off with clean water. Do this daily so as to quickly get improvement.
- Another way to apply tea tree oil is adding a few drops of it into your shampoo. Wash your hair daily with this mixture.
- Dip a piece of cloth into water then wring out the excessive water. Put some drops of tea tree oil into the cloth and dab it on the affected area. Let it sit on for 1-2 hours and wash off with clean water. Do this twice daily so that the acne will promptly disappear.
Turmeric is another wonderful ingredient used in treatments for scalp acne. This is due to the antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric that are able to help you quickly get rid of scalp acne  .
- Make a paste of turmeric powder and coconut oil in the ratio of 1:1 or 2:1. Apply the paste to the affected areas on your scalp then leave it for 1 hour. Finally, rinse off with clean water. Do this on daily basis.
- Add more turmeric into your daily diet to reduce the chance of scalp acne.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been widely used in various home remedies for health and beauty problems, including treatments for scalp acne. By using the antiseptic and antibacterial properties, the liquid is able to inhibit the growth of bacteria and the production of oil, preventing the breakout of acne. Furthermore, apple cider vinegar can balance the pH level of the scalp .
- Make a mixture with apple cider vinegar and water in the same ratio. Use the mixture to rinse your hair after you wash it. Leave it for 5-7 minutes then rinse off again with clean water. Do this daily or every two days to quickly see the improvement.
- Consume 1-2 glass of warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar
Learn more about other benefits of apple cider vinegar at Home Remedies For Toenail Fungus.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is highly effective in treating and preventing acne on the scalp. The ingredient not only eliminates the bacteria causing the condition, prevents infection and inflammation but also regulates the pH levels of the scalp and accelerate the healing process   .
- Take the gel inside a Aloe Vera leaf and apply onto the affected area 2-3 times a week
- Add half cup of Aloe Vera gel in the juice of half a lemon. Mix them well and apply onto your hair after rinsing it off with water. After waiting for 30 minutes, wash off with clean water.
Find out more other ways to make use of Aloe Vera at How to Get Rid of Blemishes.
Neem, also known as Indian lilac, is a great ingredient to make treatments for all types of acne, including scalp one. This is thanks to its antibiotic and antiseptic properties that promptly eliminate acne. Besides, neem is also used to deal with various skin problems like eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, etc   .
- Put some neem leaves in a cup of water then boil it. Take the leaves out and grind them to make a paste and apply it to your scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off with the water you have used to boil the leave. Finally, wash off again with clean water.
- Add a few drops of neem oil into a teaspoon of coconut oil. Mix them well and use it to massage your scalp. Leave the mixture on overnight and wash it off in the next morning with a gentle shampoo.
7. Tomato Juice
If you are suffering from scalp acne, tomato can be all you need to quickly get rid of the condition. Basically, the salicylic acid in tomatoes is able to deal with any types of acne. Also, by regularly using tomatoes, you can inhibit the production of sebum and keep the pH on the scalp at a proper level  .
- Squeeze a fresh tomato to get the juice. Use it to apply onto your scalp. Leave it on for 10 minutes then wash your hair off with clean water. Do this on daily basis until you see improvement.
- Mix tomato juice with lemon juice and a little honey. Use the mixture to apply onto the scalp with a cotton swab. Leave it on for 5 minutes then wash off with clean water. Do this daily until you see improvement.
There are a countless number of benefits tomatoes can provide us. For further information, read also Health Benefits of Tomatoes.
Honey is so well known for its antibacterial and antioxidant properties that it is used in various treatments for health and beauty problems caused by bacterial. Accordingly, your condition of scalp acne can be easily treated with honey. Specifically, honey works to disinfect the pore, dry out the acne and simultaneously reduce symptoms of itching and redness     .
- Use a cotton swab to dab honey on the affected areas on your scalp. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then wash off with clean water. Do this at 1-2 times a day until you see improvement.
- Mix honey and cinnamon together in the ratio of 2:1. Use it to apply onto the scalp with your finger or a cotton cloth. Leave it for 20 minutes then wash off with clean water. Do this on daily basis so that the acne will quickly disappear.
One of the most famous ingredients providing you treatments for scalp acne is garlic that is loaded with antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Accordingly, garlic can reduce infection and inflammation, quickly eliminating acne and preventing breakout       .
- Peel 4-6 garlic cloves then boil them in a cup of water. Let it cool down and use the water to wash your hair. After 10 minutes, rinse off again with clean water.
- Alternatively, crush some garlic clove and apply directly to the affected areas on the scalp. Do this 2-3 times daily to get expected result. You can also use garlic oil instead.
- Consume more garlic in your daily diet
10. Betel Leaves
Betel leaves have been a trusted companion in treating various types of skin problems, especially scalp acne. This is thanks to the antiseptic and antimicrobial properties in the leaves   .
- Take some betel leaves and grind them well. Apply the paste from ground leaves on the affected area. Wait 30 minutes then wash off with clean water. Do this 2- 3 times a day.
- Boil some betel leaves in water. After it cools off, use the liquid to rinse your hair. Do this 1-2 a day.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!