What is Psoriasis?
It is the term used to describe a skin disorder which is chronic and irritating as well as redness. Usually, it comes together with some itchy, flaky, thick and silver-white patches which can be occasionally painful.
Psoriasis is classified as an autoimmune disease. It means the immune system attack healthy cells on mistake, thus alternating the cell’s life cycle.
Most common symptoms are often pain, inflammation and itchiness. This skin disorder is normally spotted on elbows, knees, scalp and palms; however, it does not exclude other parts of the body.
What causes Psoriasis?
This skin disorder can be triggered by numerous factors such as sunburn, dry skin, consumption of alcohol with smoking, emotional stress, environmental factors like bacteria or viruses that cause infection as well as some particular medications such as ibuprofen or beta-blockers.
Even though, this condition might take a long time to treat as there is no exact cure for this skin disorder, there are methods which you can use to minimize the problem.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for psoriasis which are easy for you to follow at home in order to get rid of psoriasis as well as improve your immune system and skin health.
The first tip from the list of home remedies for psoriasis belongs to oatmeal. It can significantly keep skin layers hydrated while easing the inflammation and itching. Furthermore, it makes the skin soften and soothing and even calm your nerves.
How to use:
- Take 1 cup of oatmeal powder into a warm bath and soak your body for at least 15 minutes every day when the condition flares. After finishing the bath, cleanse again using warm water, dry your skin completely and finish with some moisturizers.
- Another way is taking 2 rolled oats and wrapping them in muslin cloth, then put into the bathtub and have hot water run over. After that, add cold water in order to make the temperature comfortable and have the oat bag squeeze. Now, the water will have milky color. Soak your body in there for at least 10 minutes. During the soaking time, take the oat bag to cleanse yourself gently. After finishing bathing, have your skin dried off and moisturized. Perform every day when there is flare-up. Remember to get rid of the oat bag after each bath.
If you want to find out more about the benefits and applications of oatmeal, please take a look at: Health Benefits of Oatmeal.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
The list of home remedies for psoriasis cannot be completed without the present of apple cider vinegar. It can balance the level of pH for the skin, thus prevent it from getting infections. Moreover, it is excellent at soothing irritation and itchiness.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of vinegar into some water and consume twice per day when there is flare-up. This method can even help you detoxify.
- Another way is taking 1 portion of vinegar with 3 portions of water and mix together. Take a cloth to soak with the liquid and apply onto the affected skin for a minute. Perform few times per day when there is flare-up.
Apple cider vinegar is always highly regarded whenever mentioning about conditions and diseases related to skin. You can find out more about how effective apple cider vinegar is against such skin condition as yeast infection at: Home Remedies for Yeast Infection.
3. Ice Pack
This is probably the simplest tip in the list of home remedies for psoriasis. This method can ease the itchiness as well as irritation from psoriasis. Furthermore, as ice is able to numb the endings of nerve, it will temporarily relieve you from acute pain. In case of chronic pain, apply warm compress with moist heat; however, do not perform if there are swollen joints.
How to do:
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a towel.
- Apply directly onto the affected skin for about 10 minutes.
- Perform every couples of hour during the day when there is flare-up.
4. Epsom Salt
An excellent remedy for skin disorder which should not be left out of the list of home remedies for psoriasis is none other than Epsom salt. it is brilliantly effective at easing burning sensation and itchiness as well as softening the scaling skin from psoriasis. Moreover, it is also great for detoxification and relaxation.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of Epsom salt into a warm bath.
- Soak your body for at least 15 minutes.
- After finishing bathing, dry off your skin and apply moisturizer.
- Perform 2 to 3 times per week.
Besides psoriasis, Epsom salt can even treat many other skin disorders such as the popular eczema. If you want to know about the effectiveness of Epsom salt against eczema, please take a look at: Home Remedies for Eczema.
The well-known anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties are enough to earn garlic a spot in the list of home remedies for psoriasis. It can prevent the enzyme named lipoxygenase which is the main factor that triggers inflammation from psoriasis. Moreover, with antimicrobial property, it can even help you avoid infection efficiently.
Consuming garlic can prevent the exacerbation of psoriasis due to the garlic’s active compounds as well as blood purification.
How to use:
- Take some garlic oil and Aloe Vera gel in equal amount to mix together. Apply the mixture onto the affected skin for about 15 minutes then cleanse off. Perform every day until there are positive changes.
- Also you can consume 2 to 3 crush cloves of garlic every day. For better effect, keep the crush garlic still for about 10 minutes before swallowing. In case you cannot stand the smell and taste of garlic, you can take together with milk or even take supplementary form of garlic after but only after consulting the doctor.
6. Olive Oil
- Take some warm olive oil and apply directly on the affected skin couples of time every day until there are positive changes.
- Another way is adding 2 drops of calendula oil with 1 drop of oregano oil into some olive oil. Apply the mixture onto the affected skin for couples of hour then cleanse off. Perform couples of time per day when there is flare-up.
Similar to garlic in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is more famous due to its compound name curcumin which can effectively counter inflammation as well as eliminate the enzyme named phosphorylase which are in charge of growing skin cells.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric into some hot milk and add in some honey. Consume every day for couples of week. Also you can include turmeric into your daily cooking.
Note: Avoid taking turmeric in case you are having problems with gallbladder. Also if you are taking medications for diabetes or having issue with blood clot, you need to consult the doctor before applying this tip.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of turmeric with some water to form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected skin, use gauze for cover overnight. In the morning, cleanse off using warm water. Perform again after few hours and every day until there are positive changes.
The licorice root is excellent against skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema as well as psoriasis due to its compound named glycyrrhizin which are extremely effective at alleviating irritation and redness. Furthermore, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties from licorice are great at easing inflammation as well as strengthen the skin. That is why there is no doubt that licorice appears in the list of home remedies for psoriasis.
How to use:
- Take the 2% cream or gel made from licorice and apply directly onto the affected skin for 2 times per day in couples of week.
- Another way is taking 2 teaspoons of dried root of licorice into some boiling water and simmering for around 40 minutes. After cooling and straining, take a washcloth to soak the solution and apply directly onto the affected skin couples of time every day.
- Also you can take a jar and fill with licorice root then pour in olive oil to cover the licorice. Keep it aside for about 6 weeks or you can choose to heat it up using low heat for couples of hour. After that, have the mixture strained. You can use the oil for applying on the affected skin. Let the skin absorb thoroughly. Perform 2 to 3 times per day until there are positive changes.
In the treatment of psoriasis, glycerin can support in attracting moisture which can help you maintain a fair and healthy skin. The glycerol from glycerin is in charge of skin maturation which is needed for skin to properly mature.
How to use:
- Take glycerin and apply directly onto the affected skin and keep for as long as you can.
- Perform 2 to 3 times every day for couples of week until there are satisfied results.
10. Aloe Vera
Without Aloe Vera, the list of home remedies for psoriasis cannot be accomplished. It is incredible at relieving irritation from psoriasis as well as promoting the healing through forming a protective layer on top of the broken skin. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory compound from Aloe Vera can improve immunity significantly while soothing inflammation.
How to use:
- Take out the gel from a leaf of Aloe Vera.
- Apply directly onto the affected skin.
- Let the skin absorb completely.
- Perform 3 times every day for couples of weeks.
11. Coconut Oil
Another skin remedy that you must consider from the list of home remedies for psoriasis is coconut oil. It can be remarkably helpful in support the healing or even control the condition to a large extent.
It can provide sufficient moisture for affected skin. After bathing or showering, you can dry off the affected area and use coconut oil to apply. However, normally the affected skin will get dry after washing anyway; therefore, moisturize must be done.
You can perform 3 to 4 times per day for couples of week. Although, remember to never go above the recommended dosage.
12. Peppermint Oil
This is considered a supporting ingredient in the list of home remedies for psoriasis. You can either consume the tea or apply the oil for the relief of symptoms from psoriasis.
13. Cayenne Pepper
Due to its hot nature, people often neglect it from the list of home remedies for psoriasis. However, its compound named capasaicin is proven to be potent at alleviating symptoms of psoriasis by the University Medical Center Frieburg of Germany. Also some people will find it hard to apply as it might make you incur some burning sensation at the affected area.
14. Neem Oil
The powerful analgesic from neem oil can bring comfort as well as soothe irritation and itchiness from psoriasis. This is significant as it will reduce the urge of people wanting to scratch the affected skin as it might worsen the condition. Therefore, neem oil cannot be excluded from the list of home remedies for psoriasis.
You can use oils, creams, lotions or other product forms available in the market. Furthermore, this ingredient does not possess any side effect.
The last tip in the list of home remedies for psoriasis is the herb “Chamomile”. Its effectiveness is no longer needed to be explained. You can take chamomile flowers with some oatmeal and mix together. Then let the mixture steep in hot water for about 30 minutes. After straining, use the liquid to cleanse the affected skin.
- Take shower or bath every day; however, avoid scrubbing skin too hard as it might trigger flare-up and irritate your skin. Also it is recommended to use body wash rather than soap as it is drier.
- Maintain clean and moist skin.
- Use humidifier to maintain moisture in air.
- Do not picking or scratching lesions.
- Put on soft clothes which are made from natural fiber such as linen or cotton.
- Keep out of perfumes or dyes which can make your skin irritated.
- Also maintain some sun exposure in order to improve psoriasis treatment. UVB is believed to help decelerate the shedding and growth rate of skin cells. It is recommended to take sunbath for at least 30 minutes and 3 times per week. It is better to start short from 10 minutes and increase gradually. Remember to avoid getting sunburn and consult the professional dermatologist for appropriate sunbath time.
- Practice relaxation techniques in order to manage stress as it is also a factor that can trigger flare-up of psoriasis.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!