What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a fairly common condition which is associated with hormone imbalance in women at reproductive age. It is described as high androgen levels or male hormones in the women’s body.
Insulin is linked to PCOS due to the fact that a lot of women who have this condition also have high insulin in the body. High insulin levels will trigger the male hormones production by the ovaries.
Furthermore, women who are having PCOS tend to suffer low-grade inflammation as well which is also a contributing factor for insulin resistance.
What causes Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
The precise cause for PCOS is unidentified; however, genetic factor seems to be the key as PCOS often goes down in the families.
There are also other conditions which can trigger PCOS such as alternation from menstrual cycle, cysts in the ovaries as well as pregnancy problems.
There are few PCOS symptoms which you might experience can be excessive growth of hair on face and body, weight gain, prolonged and irregular menstrual periods, oily skin with acne, male-pattern baldness or thinning hair as well as pelvic pain. The levels ò symptoms will also vary from one to another.
Moreover, this endocrine disorder usually raise the risk of developing resistance for insulin, high cholesterol and blood pressure, heart disease as well as diabetes Type 2. Therefore, it is extremely necessary to diagnose PCOS timely.
Although, there is no specific treatment for this condition yet, you can still control it with some simple natural tips together with changes in lifestyle.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome which are easy for you to follow in order to alleviate its symptoms as well as maintain the balance of hormones.
The first ingredient and most recommended tip from the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome is cinnamon. It is capable of promote the menstrual cyclicity as well as reduce the resistance to insulin for women who are suffering PCOS.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of powder into some hot water. Consume every day for couples of months.
- Another way is taking cinnamon in supplementary form as a 1000-mg capsule for 3 times per day but only after consulting the doctor.
- Also you might include cinnamon into your daily diet such as cottage cheese, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, peanut butter sandwich as well as other foods.
Note: Avoid consuming over 2 teaspoon per day. In case, you are having this spice for treating insulin resistance, you will need to consult the doctor because cinnamon might decrease the levels of blood sugar.
Cinnamon is also commonly used to deal with Light Periods.
The second best ingredient from the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome belongs to flaxseed. It is able to reduce the levels of androgen. Furthermore, it even contains lignans which are capable of stimulate the SHBG (sex hormone binding insulin) production which will chain testosterone in blood and stop it from affecting your body.
Moreover, with high content of fiber, it will help you decelerate the glucose metabolism as well as reduce the cholesterol levels. Omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseed is extremely effective at alleviating inflammation, decrease blood pressure as well as cut down the chance of chronic diseases such as heart disease.
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 tablespoons of grounded flaxseeds into some water. Consume every day for couples of month.
- Also you might add flaxseeds into your daily diet on a regular basis such salads, soups and even smoothies.
3. Spearmint Tea
Containing anti-androgenic property, it is easy to see why spearmint tea is included in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome. Furthermore, this herb can help you decrease hirsutism or excessive body hair through decreasing free and total levels of testosterone while increasing the follicle-stimulating as well as luteinizing hormone.
How to use:
- Take some dried leaves into some boiling water.
- Have it simmered for about 10 minutes.
- Then have it strained and consume twice every day for couples of week.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be a huge loss without apple cider vinegar in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome. It can help you manage the blood sugar while preventing the body from overproducing insulin as less insulin will result in less testosterone. More importantly, it will assist you in losing weight as well as enhance your health overall.
How to use:
- Take 2 teaspoons of unfiltered and raw vinegar into some water.
- Consume every in the early morning as well as before each meal. Perform for few weeks.
You can slowly raise the dosage up to 2 tablespoons for 1 glass of water with 2 – 3 times consumption per day. In case the taste is overly strong, you can add in some fruit juice such as orange.
Read more about Home Remedies for Premenstrual Syndrome.
This will help you enhance the metabolism of glucose in your body as well as reduce the resistance of insulin. Thus your hormones will be balanced. Furthermore, it will help you cut down cholesterol, assist in losing weight and promote healthy function of heart. You can find more its benefits at How to Balance Hormone Levels Naturally.
How to use:
- Take 2 teaspoons of its seeds to soak for about 6 – 8 hours. Then take a teaspoon of the soaked fenugreek seeds to consume with some honey in the early morning while your stomach is still empty. Also perform again for 10 minutes prior to lunch and dinner. Keep performing every day for couples of week.
- Also you might add both the seeds and leaves of fenugreek into your regular daily diet.
You might also be interested in Home Remedies for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding.
6. Saw Palmetto
Also work as an anti-androgen that can regulate the activity of 5-alpha-reductase as well as control the conversion of testosterone into dyhydrotestosterone which is a more active form, this herb is absolutely capable of helping you avoid excessive hairiness or hirsutism for the PCOS women. Even better, it can thin out the grow-back hair.
Therefore, it is no doubt that this herb is recommended to be included in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome.
You can take saw palmetto standard extract of 320mg every day for couples of month. In case you are having liquid extract, then it should just be a teaspoon daily.
Note: You need to consult some licensed naturopathic physicians before applying any herbal tip for PCOS treatment in order to make sure the remedies are effective and safe.
Also known as vitex which is a popular herb in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome, chasteberry can even treat the infertility caused by imbalance of hormone. It is considered an excellent herb for the treatment of problems related to menstruation.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of either dried or fresh chasteberries into some boiling water and steep for at least 10 minutes. Then have it strained and consume every day for couples of week or month, until there are positive changes. Stop once the result is satisfied enough.
- Another way is taking its supplementary forms but only after consulting the doctor.
8. Fish Oil
Containing abundance of omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil can excellently decrease androgen and promote sensitivity of insulin. Therefore, you should definitely follow this tip from the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome as it is capable of improving PCOS symptoms through balancing the levels of androgen.
Moreover, it even alleviates the inflammation, helps you lose excessive body fat as well as combats chronic diseases.
There is no recommended dosage for daily intake of fish oil. You might take 1 – 3 capsules for 2 to 3 times per day according to your physician’s suggestion.
It is incredible at decreasing the serum testosterone for women who are suffering PCOS. The glycyrrhizin from licorice can regulate an enzyme which is essential for production for testosterone. This herb from the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome can be applied as the adjuvant treatment for hirsutism.
Furthermore, this herb can enhance ovulation and support the detoxified function of liver which is brilliant as liver is in charge of eliminating toxins as well as excessive hormones and restoring balance of hormone.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of its dried root into some boiling water and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Then have it strained consume for 2 to 3 times every day in couples of week.
- Another way is taking its supplement form. You might take ¼ to ½ teaspoon of tincture for 2 to 3 times per day for couples of week. However, you need to consult the doctor for appropriate dosage.
Note: In case you are having diseases related to heart, liver or kidney as well as high blood pressure, you should avoid applying this tip as it might impact your levels of blood glucose.
10. Holy Basil
Also known under the name Tulsi, it contains anti-androgenic property which means it can help you control the PCOS symptoms. It is capable of controlling the insulin levels as well assisting you in losing weight. Additionally, basil can work as a remarkable stress reliever with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
How to use:
- Take about 8 – 12 leaves of basil to consume early in the morning every day.
- Another way is consuming some basil tea for couples of time every day or taking its supplementary form but only after consulting the doctor.
- Perform those methods for at least couples of month.
Note: Holy basil will decrease your levels of blood glucose; therefore, you need to be careful when taking this herb. Moreover, it might decelerate blood clotting as well as interfere with other anticoagulant drugs.
This mineral is extremely essential in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome as it assists the signal transduction of insulin. It is capable of promoting the metabolic action for insulin while reducing total cholesterol as well as LDL. It is best effective against people who are insulin-resistant and obese.
The recommended dosage is about 200 – 1000 mcg of chromium picolinate daily.
12. Manage Stress Level
This advice is the most overlooked in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome. When you are under stress, cortisol will be released from the adrenals, trigger the prolactin elevation and increase in androgen synthesis. As a result, the menstrual cycle will be irregular, especially anovulation which is a characteristic of PCOS. Therefore, herbal treatment of PCOS should take stress as the number one priority.
You can use the following herb as adaptogens for the treatment of PCOS like ginseng, rhapponticum, licorice, ashwagandha, schisandra, rhodiola. Those herb will enhance your resistance against stress by modulating at adrenal level.
This method is a must in the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome. There are numerous therapies for body and mind suggested for the treatment of PCOS such as aromatherapy, biofeedback, hypnosis, guided visualization and yoga. However, an hour-long meditation with yoga session every day will be efficient at treating anxiety for teenage girls who are suffering PCOS.
14. Healthy Diet
This is another healthy method with no side effect from the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome. Consume foods which are nutritious will keep you healthy and fit, thus improve the recovery from PCOS. You need to keep out of unhealthy foods such as preserved, canned, sugary, fried, fatty and caffeinated foods as they will worsen the PCOS symptoms. You can consume more vegetables and fruits, whole grain as well as low-fat dairy products.
Also you need a diet which is low glydemic in order to avoid spikes in the levels of blood sugar as it will exacerbate PCOS symptoms.
The last tip from the list of home remedies for polycystic ovary syndrome is consuming more proteins because it will bring you great relief as well as help you avoid future recurrence of PCOS symptoms. Foods such as fish, soy, milk products, eggs and legumes are recommended to be included in your daily diet.
- Keep watch of your weight because it will decrease the male hormone levels. Having 10% in weight loss can help you regain normal periods.
- Perform exercises regularly in order to have your weight as well as insulin under control.
- Consume more foods which are rich of B vitamins like B2, B3, B5 and B6.
- Quit smoking as women who do so tend to have higher levels of androgen.
- Do not use plastics in storing, preparing or consuming foods.
- Avoid consuming water from containers which have plastic.
- Consult the gynecologist before taking any prescribed birth-control pills.
- Apply acupuncture therapy in order to improve the levels of hormone in the body.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!