Table of Contents
What is Palpitations?
Palpitations are a physical condition in which your heart beats in an irregular way. You can feel that your heart is fluttering, or beating very slowly or very quickly. Heart palpitations can occur within few seconds or might last few hours.
Palpitations can be accompanied by symptoms such as: shortness of breath as well as constriction sensation at the throat. Furthermore, if it is accompanied serious symptoms including dizziness, fainting, blurred vision, chest pain, sweating and nausea as well as vomiting, it could indicate some serious heart issues.
What causes Palpitations?
There are many causes that lead to palpitations. The first one is the consumption of stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, etc. The second cause is related to the psychological factors such as stress, anxiety, etc. Besides, palpitations are the popular symptoms during pregnancy. In some special cases, palpitations are also the signs of a more serious heart condition such as heart attack, coronary artery disease, or heart muscle problems.
Here are the top 15 effective home remedies for palpitation which you can easily apply at home in order to prevent and getting rid of palpitation as well as improve your heart strength…
Coughing is considered the most effective out of those simple home remedies for palpitation which you can apply to get rid of palpitation quickly and in a short while.
When you get palpitation, you should cough vigorously for a few minutes aim to cause pressure to build up in your chest and stabilize your heartbeat.
2. Deep Breathing
Due to palpitation caused by the psychological factors, deep breathing will be one of the best home remedies to get rid of palpitation quickly. Deep breathing helps relax your body, increase the oxygen supply to the brain and stabilize your heartbeat.
When you get palpitation, you immediately take slow, deep breaths through your nose and breathe out slowly through your mouth. When you inhale, your belly should be expanded.
Repeat it several time until the condition improves.
3. Valsalva Maneuver
- Pinch your nose.
- Close your mouth and then breathe out forcibly.
However, you should remember that this home remedy cannot be used for people who have heart disease.
4. Cold Water
Cold water can help reduce stress, anxiety and dizziness and then make your heartbeat normal. This is why it is placed in the top 3 most effective home remedies for palpitations.
When you get palpitation, you should drink a glass of cold water. Or take a cold water is also good palpitations treatment.
Taking a cold water or cold bath is also great home remedy for acne. You can read more at: Home Remedies for Acne Scars.
You can use this home remedy for palpitation in the following way:
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a glass of warm water and drink it whenever you get palpitation.
- There is also another ways which you can mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a teaspoon of honey and drink it once a day.
Besides being one of most effective home remedies for palpitations, cinnamon can also provide an excellent treatment for insomnia. You can read more at: Home Remedies for Insomnia.
6. Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses contain a high amount of minerals such as potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium. Therefore, it is often recommended as one of the best home remedies for palpitation caused by anemia.
How to use:
- Add 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to 1 cup of water and mix it well. Drink it once per day until the condition improves.
- Another alternative is to mix 2 teaspoons each of blackstrap molasses and apple cider vinegar and then add them in a cup of water. Drink it once per day.
7. Lemon Balm
To get rid of palpitation, you should apply the following way:
- Steep 1 teaspoon of dried lemon balm in a cup of hot water and after 5-10 minutes, strain it.
- Drink this tea whenever you have trouble with palpitation.
Besides, you should also add lemon balm to your daily diet to get relief from palpitations.
If palpitation is caused by the psychological factors such as stress or anxiety, you should use valerian as an excellent home remedy for palpitation. This home remedy can calm you and stabilize your normal heartbeat.
How to use:
- Add some drops of valerian tincture to a glass of water and drink it whenever you get palpitation.
If you are currently pregnant, you are not recommended to apply this home remedies in order to get rid of palpitations.
Being an effective herb in increasing blood flow to your heart and reducing cardiac muscle contractions, hawthorn is another one of the top home remedies for palpitations in stabilizing your heartbeat and getting rid of palpitation.
How to use:
- Consumption from 150 to 900 mg of this herb every day and apply this home remedy during 3 to 24 weeks.
- However, if palpitation happens in pregnancy, you should not apply this home remedy for palpitation.
Yoga is undoubtedly a great home remedy for palpitation. It can help relax your body and increase the oxygen supply to the brain. Doing yoga gently and deep breathing will stabilize your heartbeat and calm you.
Spending about 30 minutes every day on doing yoga will help you prevent and get rid of palpitation.
Relaxing is a temporary home remedy for palpitation. When you get palpitation, you should sit down, breathe deeply from your stomach, and chill out for a moment. This will normalize your heart rate quickly.
12. Balancing Electrolytes
There are four most important electrolytes in matters of the heart including: potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium. If one of these electrolytes becomes too high or too low, palpitations might occur.
Therefore, as recommended as one of the home remedies for palpitations, you should take supplemental vitamins or increase/decrease the consumption of certain foods.
- Potassium is contained in foods such as bananas, apples, milk, potatoes, oranges juice, etc.
- Calcium is contained in almonds, beans, oatmeal, vegetables, etc.
- Sodium is contained in meats, dairy products, snack foods, etc.
- Magnesium is contained in nuts, milk, yogurt, peanut butter, etc.
Daily diet can support you on getting rid of palpitation. You should add grapes, guava, honey, fresh fruit and vegetables, and whole wheat foods to your daily diet and avoid some foods including sugar, alcohol, smoking, etc.
14. Increase Magnesium Intake
Magnesium helps improve smooth functioning of the heart, the nervous system and better blood circulation in the body. So eating more magnesium-rich foods can support you on dealing with palpitation.
Magnesium-rich foods include nuts, seeds, cold-water fish, avocados, banana, chocolate, etc.
15. Change Your Lifestyle
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, foods containing caffeine, smoking, etc.
- Add more green vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet.
- Drink a lot of water a day.
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control.
- Spend at least 30 minutes every day to do exercise.
- Spend time on relaxing your body, get away stress, anxiety, etc.
- Sleep enough 7-8 hours a day.
Although heart palpitations are harmless, you should not ignore symptoms of this problem. 15 home remedies for palpitations above will help you prevent and get rid of palpitations in quick and effective ways at your home.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!