In this article, we would like to introduce to you about a joint disease call Osteoarthritis together with its causes and symptoms as well as our top 15 recommended treatments for you to get rid of this disease at home.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Also called osteoarthrosis, it is the disease of degenerative joint which is considered the most popular type of arthritis. It happens because of the cartilage breakdown at joints, thus make the bone rub directly against each other.
It is reported that in America, approximately 27 million people incur osteoarthritis. The most common age for developing this disease is from 40 to 60 of ages. Also it mainly impacts the joints which are in charge of bearing weight such as back, spine, hips, knees and feet. Occasionally, it might impact even the neck as well as joints at hands and fingers.
What causes Osteoarthritis?
This disease is believed to be more popular in women rather than men. There are some extra factors which add up the risk such as having joint injuries before, weak muscles in thigh, doing job which makes some particular joints under excessive stress, deformities of bone, diabetes, obesity, genetics as well as other complication of arthritis.
For this disease, the symptoms are often slowly developed and exacerbated with time. There are some common signs such as pain in joints while and after moving, stiffness in joints especially in the morning after waking up, tenderness in joints when touching, decrease in flexibility, bone spurs at joint areas as well as grating sensation when joints are flexed.
In case this disease is not treated in time, it will lead to greatly disability and even surgeries for the replacement of hips and knees.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for osteoarthritis which are easy for you to follow at home in order to get rid of this joint disease as well as strengthen your joints and bones.
The most recommended tip in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis is certainly practicing exercise. It will definitely improve the endurance as well as the strength of muscles surrounding the joints, thus promote the mobility. Furthermore, exercise can even assist you in losing weight.
How to do:
- Perform some aerobic exercises such as swimming, biking and walking for about 30 minutes every day in 5 days per week.
- Perform some training with gentle weight and resistance for couples of time per week in order to strengthen the muscles.
- Perform some range-of-motion exercises for about 30 minutes every day.
It is not recommended to practice some high-impact sports as it might increase the risk of getting injured.
Also it is suggested to have an expert plan out your exercise program in order to customize it for your condition.
2. Hot and Cold Compress
This simple tip from the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis is excellent at managing the pain in joints. As hot compress will be able to alleviate stiffness and pain, cold compress will soothe inflammation as well as swelling.
How to use:
- Take a hot water bottle and have it wrapped by a towel.
- Take some ice cubes and have them wrapped by a towel as well.
- Apply the hot compress onto the affected joints for about 2 minutes.
- Have the hot compress replaced by the cold compress and keep it on for about 1 minute.
- Perform the cycle for about 15 minutes in couples of time every day.
Note: You can apply those compresses individually depending on your current situation.
3. Massage Therapy
Within the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis, this tip is high recommended as it is capable of decreasing the intensity of inflammation, swelling and pain. Additionally, it can even improve the circulation of blood as well as soothe the inflamed muscles.
How to do:
- Have the affected area massaged with gentle motions together with coconut or olive oil for couples of time every day. In case, this method makes your condition worse, immediately stop performing.
- Also you can take 10 grams of camphor with a cup of mustard oil and have them warmed up together for about 5 minutes. Let it cool down and then have the affected area massaged using that mixture.
- Another way is taking some eucalyptus oil with wintergreen oil in equal amount to mix together and having the inflamed joints massaged using that mixed oil.
Due to the sensitivity of joints with osteoarthritis, have them massaged gently or better have the professional massage therapist perform.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
With alkaline-forming and anti-inflammatory properties, apple cider vinegar is an essential ingredient in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis. It is effective at alleviating stiffness and pain in joints. Furthermore, it can even eliminate toxins accumulated at joints.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of unfiltered and raw vinegar with honey into some warm water and mix altogether. Consume twice every day, better before having meal.
- Also you can take a tablespoon each of extra-virgin olive oil and organic vinegar to mix altogether. Have the affected joints massaged using that mixed oil for couples of time every day.
5. Epsom Salt
The high level of magnesium is the reason why Epsom salt is included in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis. It is totally capable of alleviating inflammation, swelling and pain.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of Epsom salt into a warm bath.
- Have your body soaked for about 30 minutes.
- Perform 2 – 3 times per week for couples of week.
Note: People who are having diabetes or problems with kidney are not recommended to apply this tip.
The powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties are what make ginger an important ingredient that you should not ignore in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis. It has the ability to block COX-2 which is the chemical that is responsible for inducing pain in your body.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 cups of ginger tea every day. In order to prepare the tea, take a piece of ginger to grate and have it boiled in water for about 10 minutes. Then have it strained and put in some honey.
- Also you can take some fresh slices of ginger to chew every day as well as include either fresh or dry ginger in your daily cooking.
- Another way is having the affected area massaged using ginger oil for couples of time every day.
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties from the curcumin compound are what make turmeric capable of decelerating the progression of this disease. Therefore, it is no surprise to see turmeric appear in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some boiling milk. Put in some honey and consume twice every day for couples of day.
- Another way is taking the standardized extract of turmeric for 300mg in 3 times per day. However, you will need to consult the doctor before applying.
Also you might include turmeric into the daily cooking.
Note: Do not excessively consume turmeric in case you are having medications for blood-thinning as well as the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs.
Turmeric is also one of the best Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
This popular ingredient from the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis also brings along the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which are remarkable for controlling swelling and pain.
Furthermore, essential mineral such as phosphorus, iron and calcium together with vitamins are significantly necessary for the healthiness of tissues and bones.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to soak in water through the night. Next morning, drain the water and consume the seeds. Perform every day.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of fenugreek powder to consume with some warm water for 2 – 3 times every day.
- Also you can take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with some water to form a paste and apply directly the paste onto the affected area. Let it dry out and then cleanse off using warm water. Perform twice every day.
9. Green Tea
The mighty antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties from green tea is extremely remarkable in alleviating pain in joint as well as swelling. Furthermore, green tea can support you in preserving the density of bone as well as maintaining the strength of bone. Therefore, it is not hard to see why green tea is included in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis.
How to use
- Take a teaspoon of the leaves of green tea into some hot water.
- Have it steeped for couples of minutes.
- Then have it strained and put in some honey.
- Consume 2 – 3 cups every day.
Also possessing strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, cinnamon is the spice in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis that you can rely on combating the swelling and pain in joints. Additionally, it will help relax the stiffness in muscles.
How to use
- Take a teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a tablespoon of honey into some warm water. Consume daily in the morning while your stomach is still empty.
- Another way is taking some cinnamon powder into some water to form a paste. Also you might put in some honey. Have the affected area massaged using the paste for couples of minute in 2 – 3 times per day.
The reason why you can see this member of the daisy family in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis is due to its anti-inflammatory properties. You might consume some feverfew tea frequently in order to alleviate inflammation and pain. Also you can use dried leaves of feverfew as well.
12. Aloe Vera
The list of home remedies for osteoarthritis cannot be completed without Aloe Vera. The pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties from Aloe Vera can contribute tremendously to the treatment of osteoarthritis. Have the affected area massaged using the gel from Aloe Vera every day will help you soothe the inflammation and pain. Also you might consume some juice from Aloe Vera daily for better effect.
You might be interested in Health Benefits of Aloe Vera.
This common herb is also an excellent tip from the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis. You can take about 4 – 5 fresh leaves of basil to chew in the morning before breakfast. Also you might take ½ teaspoon of basil powder into some warm milk and consume regularly during the day. Another effective method that you can use is consuming the basil tea.
14. Cayenne Pepper
Considered the most effective herb in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis, you can use the extract of cayenne pepper to rub directly onto the affected area regularly in order to obtain some instant relief. Also you can take some cayenne pepper into some olive oil to make a paste and use this to apply directly onto the affected area. It is recommended to use the paste before bedtime for better effect.
The last tip in the list of home remedies for osteoarthritis belongs to the herb named Horsetail. You can make a tonic by having a teaspoon of dried powder from horsetail steeped in some water and then consume 2 – 3 times per day. Furthermore, consume regularly this herb will even help you strengthen your joints.
- Try to rest well as it will help you withstand the stress and pain from osteoarthritis.
- Have the affected area massaged using the mixture of soybean oil with avocado in order to manage inflammation and pain.
- Quit drinking and smoking as they might make your condition worse.
- Practice meditation in order to distract your mind from pain.
- Practice yoga in order to improve the flexibility of joints and strength of muscles.
- Practice tai chi for 2 – 3 times per week in order to eliminate the symptoms.
- Make use of canes, braces, splints as well as some other devices which can support you in easing discomfort and avoiding injury.
- Stay positive because it will have significant impact on the function as well as feeling of yours.
- Consult the doctor for supplements of nutrition which can help you control the symptoms.
- Have the affected area exposed to sunlight in order to obtain vitamin D which is necessary for healthiness of bones.
- Consume more foods which are rich of vitamin C and E in the daily diet as those vitamins will strengthen your bones and help you control the symptoms.
- Consume more foods which are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids such as seeds, nuts as well as cold-water fish in order to soothe pain and inflammation.
- In case you are overweight, make some effort to lose weight as it will decrease pressure on joints, thus reduce pain.
- Also you might try acupuncture to alleviate pain and promote mobility.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!