- What is Oral Thrush?
- What causes Oral Thrush?
- What are the symptoms of Oral Thrush?
- What are risk factors for thrush?
- Is oral thrush contagious?
- Home Remedies for Oral Thrush
- 1. Salt
- 2. Yogurt
- 3. Garlic
- 4. Cinnamon
- 5. Coconut Oil
- 6. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 7. Baking Soda
- 8. Black Walnut
- 9. Cranberry
- 10. Olive Leaf
In this article, Authority Remedies will aim to show you a number of excellent home remedies for oral thrush to help you overcome this stubborn problem as well as enjoy strong oral health.
What is Oral Thrush?
Oral thrush with its scientifical name Oropharyngeal Candidiasis, is the medical condition in which your tongue or the inner side of your mouth is infected by an overgrowth of a type of fungus known as Candida Albicans . As gathering, it can expand into the roof of the gums, tonsils, mouth and even back of the throat and thus, displaying the very first symptoms such as creamy white lesions, redness or even bleeding. When left untreated, oral thrush can get the immune system depressed and further serious diseases are allowed to seize.
This medical condition happens due to the weakening of your immune system which cannot fight against the outgrowth of the fungus.
According to a recent research, oral thrush is communicable, which means that it can be infectious and passed from one person to another. Newborns can possibly have thrush during birth and children can suffer from it as sharing toys with other children. And even adults can bring it back through the saliva.
In fact, as healthy adults and children contract oral thrush, an antifungal medication is widely prescribed. However, this treatment can lead to the liver damage and highly affect estrogen levels. Also, it can result in allergic reactions and drug interactions. Generally, antifungal creams and medications can only cure the symptoms but not deal with the environment allowing candida to develop.
What causes Oral Thrush?
The major condition for oral thrush to occur is because of the weak immune system and there are quite a few factors which partly contribute to a weak immunity such as:
- HIV/AIDS: The HIV which cause AIDS is in charge of damaging immunity cells, then allowing the body to be prone to other infections and diseases.
- Cancer: The chemotherapy and radiation from cancer treatment can significantly weaken your immune system and make you more vulnerable toward infections such as oral thrush.
- Diabetes mellitus: It is when your diabetes is getting severe or uncontrollable, the increasing level of sugar in your saliva will create advantage environment for oral thrush to occur.
- Vaginal yeast infection: It is caused be the same bacteria of oral thrush. Also in case you are pregnant and infected, your children will more likely to get infected by the bacteria and develop oral thrush.
On the other hand, there are few simple and effective home remedies which you might consider applying in order to relieve the pain as well as preventing oral thrush in case you are infected.
What are the symptoms of Oral Thrush?
Specifically, oral thrush can suddenly flourish, and its symptoms can get more noticeable and serious along with time. The symptom of this infection can be easily observed as there are wounds with creamy-white color slowly appearing and the position is often on the tongue and the inner side of your cheeks and lips. If the infection is not stopped promptly, it will spread throughout the whole inner side of your mouth and even down to the back of your throat.
Further symptoms for confirming the infection can be swelling, soreness with a burning sensation and unpleasant taste which affect swallowing ability.
This type of infection spares no one; however, common victims are infants and elderly people who have weak immune system and especially people with dentures. For example, a mother encountering with vaginal yeast infection can transmit the fungus to her infant, making the baby accessible to oral thrush development. Infants contracting oral candidiasis can exhibit the signs of fussiness and irritability, causing them to get trouble in feeding. As a woman’s breast is diagnosed with candida, the presence of read itchy sensitive nipples, a dry areola, or abnormal pain between the breast and nipples becomes relatively high.
What are risk factors for thrush?
In fact, healthy people will not contract thrush without getting several risk factors. Do remember that adults who have weak immune systems are more prone to getting thrush. Dangerous factors linked with oral thrush consist of some of the following:
- Having an organ transplant
- Illnesses, such as poorly controlled diabetes, cancer, dry mouth or HIV/AIDS infection
- Poorly fitting dentures
Is oral thrush contagious?
Basically, oral thrush is not contagious. But, a nursing infant getting thrush can have chance to transmit the thrush to his/her mother’s breast through contacting.
Home Remedies for Oral Thrush
Here are the top 20 most effective home remedies for oral thrush which you can easily apply at home in order to remove oral thrush and prevent the bacteria from infecting you ever again.
How to apply:
- Dilute ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of warm water. Gargle using this water and repeat until the symptoms are reduced and you feel comfortable.
- Use your fingers to gently apply some salt on your tongue and rub it for a few seconds. Then rinse your mouth using warm water. Repeat it twice every day for a couple of days.
For more information about the benefits and applications of salt for oral health, please read: Home Remedies for Periodontitis.
Probiotic yogurt is said to be harboring active type of lactobacilli which is effective as a natural treatment for oral thrush. Also, only use the type of plain or unsweetened yogurt for best treatment of oral thrush.
How to apply:
- Consume 2 to 3 cups of yogurt every day for a couple of weeks.
- Use your finger to apply some yogurt onto your tongue and the inner side of your mouth and keep it for 5 to 10 minutes. Then rinse your mouth using warm water. Repeat it once or twice every day for a couple of days.
Garlic is best known as one of the best home remedies for oral thrush due to its anti-fungal capability which can help destroying bacteria and yeast inside your mouth and further boosting up your immune system.
According to the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy journal (2005), the study about garlic has shown promising result regarding the anti-fungal capability of extracted fresh garlic.
How to apply:
- Consume 2 to 3 cloves of garlic on a daily basis in order to ward off the infection. If you cannot take fresh garlic, then there is garlic concentrated into tablets or capsules but should be taken carefully with doctor’s consultation.
- Garlic is also proven to be extremely effective against diseases related to oral health. You can find out more about it at: Home Remedies for Blisters on Tongue.
The Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine has published the result of the study about the positive effects and curative impacts of cinnamon oil regarding treatment for oral thrush infection.
How to apply:
- Consume 1 to 2 cups of cinnamon tea on a daily basis. First step, boil ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder or simply a little cinnamon stick with 1½ cups of water for about 5 minutes. Filter and consume with or without lemon juice depending on your preference.
- Mix a few drops of cinnamon into 1 tablespoon of olive oil or any other substance. Directly apply this solution onto the wounds and keep it there for 5 to 10 minutes then wash your mouth. Repeat this every day for a couple of days.
5. Coconut Oil
According to the Journal of Medicinal Food (2007), researchers have found affirmative evidences about coconut oil regarding its active response against various kinds of Candida Albicans.
How to apply:
- Use a piece of cotton cloth to apply coconut oil directly onto the wounds. Repeat this procedure for a couple of times per day for about 6 to 7 days.
- On a daily morning basis, with an empty stomach, practice oil pulling with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Swirl the liquid inside your mouth for about 10 minutes then spit out. Wash your mouth with warm water and begin normal teeth brushing procedure. Practice this every day will give you excellent oral health.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is said to provide enzymes that can fight the candida fungal and therefore is labeled as the top natural treatment for oral thrush. Being vinegar, it is obvious that it will return the pH level back to balance in order to control the growth of candida fungal. Furthermore, vinegar is well known for its positive effect on the body’s immune system.
The Journal of Prosthodontics in 2014 has confirmed the anti-fungal capability of apple cider vinegar against numerous kinds of candida fungal.
How to apply:
- Dilute 2 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar together with ½ teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of warm water. Rinse your mouth with this mixture a couple times per day until there are signs of betterment.
- Dilute 2 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar together with some raw honey into 1 cup of warm water. Drink this twice every day.
This household item is also extremely popular against many oral problems. For more information, please read: Home Remedies for Loss of Smell and Taste.
7. Baking Soda
The Brazilian Oral Research in 2009 has announced that 5% sodium bicarbonate is very effective regarding treatment of oral thrush caused by Candida Albicans.
Similar to apple cider vinegar, this also helps balancing the acid level in your mouth.
How to apply:
- Use enough water with 1 to 2 teaspoon of baking soda in order to make a paste. Then use a cotton cloth to direct apply this paste onto the wounds. Keep it for a couple of minutes then rinse by warm water. Repeat this 2 to 3 times per day for a couple of days.
- Dilute ½ teaspoon of baking soda into 1 glass of water and rinse your mouth using that. Repeat it twice every day until the infection is gone.
8. Black Walnut
Black walnut is famous for its tannin richness which contains strong astringent and anti-fungal capability.
Another ingredient of black walnut which is juglone has been proven to contain decent antibiotic and anti-fungal capability. With many positive properties, black walnut is among the top options as natural remedies for oral thrush.
Beside the fruit, there are black walnut capsules or even extract in order to make the consumption more comfortable.
Cranberry is similar to black walnut as it also contains the “arbutin” which is a compound responsible for destroying the Candida Albicans and acknowledged as an excellent natural treatment for oral thrush.
How to apply:
- Consume the cranberry tablets daily according to directions, for children; fresh cranberry will be more suitable.
- Drink fresh and unsweetened cranberry juice for a couple of times every day. Keep doing for 2 to 3 weeks until the Candida fungus is eliminated.
10. Olive Leaf
The last remedy is olive leaf; however, last but not least, olive leaf is one of the strongest and most effective home remedies for oral thrush due to its strong anti-fungal capability. Moreover, the ingredient “oleuropein” also play an important role as a powerful boost toward the immune system.
How to apply:
- Consume 250 to 500 mg of extracted olive leaf 3 times every day
- Also there is olive leaf tea which can be made by steeping olive leaf into boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drink 2 to 3 cups of tea every day.
Even when the infection is eliminated, you should keep drinking 1 to 2 cups of tea every day for preventing the Candida fungus from coming back.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!