Table of Contents
What is Numbness in Hands and Feet?
Numbness in hands and feet is the term used to describe the loss of touch sensation.
There might be some other symptoms such as burning or tingling sensations, weakness or sharp pain at the affected area.
What causes Numbness in Hands and Feet?
This problem is fairly common. The causes are also various as they can be pressuring constantly on hands or feet, temporary compression of nerve, exposure to coldness, injury of nerve, smoking and drinking excessively, fatigue, inactiveness and deficiency of nutrition like magnesium or vitamin B12.
Normally, the numbness which only lasts for couples of minute is not a problem worth concerning. However, if the numbness is more frequent and prolonged, it is necessary to consult the doctor for diagnosis as it might indicate some underlying issues with your health.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for numbness in hands and feet which are easy for you to follow at home in order to get rid of the numbness as well as improve your sensitivity.
1. Warm Compress
The first as well as most recommended method in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet is using warm compress. It helps you increase the supply of blood toward the numb area. Furthermore, it will ease muscles as well as nerves there.
How to do:
- Take a cloth and dip in warm water.
- Squeeze out the excessive water then apply directly onto the numb area for about 5 minutes.
- Perform couples of time until the numbness is totally gone.
Also you might take heating pad as well as warm shower for easing the discomfort.
This method has been proven to be an effective treatment which you need to consider from the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet. It is excellent at increasing circulation of blood which is beneficial for alleviating numbness. Furthermore, it can stimulate muscles as well as nerves, thus promote their function overall.
How to do:
- Take any mustard, coconut or olive oil and warm it up.
- Use your palm to apply the warm oil directly onto the numb area.
- Have it massage using circular strokes of firm fingers for about 5 minutes.
- Perform again if needed.
This important tip from the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet is the one you must comply. It enables the circulation of oxygen and blood throughout the body which can help you avoid tingling sensations as well as numbness efficiently. Even better, exercise will promote the mobility while helping you prevent problems occurring to your health.
How to do:
- Perform simple exercise involved hands and feet for at least 15 minutes every morning. Also while at work, you can do some exercises using legs, hands, wrists and arms such as stretches and curls in regular interval.
- Aerobic exercises as well as cardiovascular workouts in 30 minutes for 5 days per week will be significantly helpful.
- Enjoy activities such as swimming, jogging, bicycling and walking regularly in order to promote circulation.
Also make sure you perform the stretch meticulously before the main activities as well as the training wears are appropriate.
Note: Avoid practice exercises which are high impact as they might trigger numbness at toes and feet.
The potent curcumin compound is the warranty for the present of turmeric in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet. It is capable of improving the flow of blow in your body. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory property will help you ease the discomfort as well as pain in the numb area.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some milk and warm it up. Put in some honey and consume once every day.
- Also you can use the paste made from turmeric powder with water to massage the numb area for couples of minute.
- In case you are having inefficient circulation, you might take the supplement of turmeric every day but only after consulting the doctor.
Learn more about other benefits of turmeric at Home Remedies for Scabies.
5. Epsom Salt
This one is considered the most common ingredient from the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet. Containing the magnesium sulfate crystals, it will improve the levels of magnesium in your body while promoting circulation of blood. Have just adequacy of circulation is enough to decrease numbness as well as help you avoid it.
How to use:
- Take ½ cup of Epsom salt into a warm bath.
- Have your feet soaked in that solution for about 10 minutes.
- Perform couples of time per week.
Note: People who are having problems with kidney or diabetes must avoid applying this tip.
You might also find out more about the benefits of epsom salt in the following remedies:
With numerous nutrients and chemicals such as potassium, magnesium as well as B vitamins, it is no surprise to see cinnamon in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet. The nutritional properties from cinnamon will encourage flow of blood toward legs and arms which will support the treatment of numbness in hands and leg. It is recommended to take 2 – 4 grams/day of cinnamon powder in order to have efficient circulation of blood.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of cinnamon powder into some warm water. Consume once every day.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon each of honey and cinnamon and then consume together every morning for couples of week.
7. Ginkgo Biloba
This herb is extremely popular in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet due to its brilliant capability in reduction as well as prevention of numbness.
This herb is available as supplement at the market. The recommended dosage is 40 milligrams for 3 times per day. However, you still need to consult the doctor as this herb might interact with some particular medications.
8. Elevate the Numb Part
This simple trick in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet has proven to be excellently effective against numbness caused by inefficiency of circulation. Have the numb part elevated for couples of minute will stimulate circulation of blood. When the blood flow regains normally, numbness will fade away. You can have your legs or hands placed on some pillows for elevation.
9. Eat More Vitamin B Foods
In order to support the treatment of numbness in hands and feet, it is suggested to consume more foods which are rich in B vitamins and most importantly vitamin B6 and B12. Those vitamins are required for function of nerves and lack of those vitamins will trigger numbness in some particular parts of the body like legs, arms, fingers and hands.
How to do:
- Consume more foods which are abundant in B6 and B12 such as fortified cereals, bananas, avocados, seeds, nuts, beans, oatmeal, yogurt, cheese, milk, fish, meat, eggs and some dried fruits.
- Also you might take supplement of vitamin B-complex for twice every day but only after consult the doctor.
10. Increase Intake of Magnesium
This is an extremely essential tip in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet because low level of magnesium is a major factor of numbness. This mineral is needed for the nervous system to function smoothly as well as the circulation of blood to be efficient.
How to do:
- Consume foods which are rich in magnesium such as dark green vegetables, seeds, nuts, bananas, avocados, soybeans, peanut butter, oatmeal, low-fat yogurt, cold-water fish and dark chocolate.
- Also you might take supplement of magnesium for 350mg/day but only after consulting the doctor.
This herb is acknowledged to be excellent from the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet. Its essential oil can be found easily at the market and you can take this oil to mix with any carrier oil then apply on the numb area. Also you can consume this herb through tea, gravies or stews.
Another exotic yet effective herb in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet is thyme. It can be included into broths or soups in order to elevate the flavor as well as for the medicinal effect. This herb can be found rather easily and is considered a handy cure for this problem. Nonetheless, in order to treat this problem completely, it is necessary to add thyme into your daily diet on a regular basis.
Consume this herb regularly is a useful tip from the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet. It is capable of helping you avoid problems related to circulation of blood including numbness.
14. Cayenne Pepper
Abundant in potassium and magnesium as well as vitamin A, C and E, no wonder it is one of the most sought-after tips in the list of home remedies for hands and feet. It is able to take care of issues related to circulation of blood just fine. You can take this spice into your soups, salads and broths or simply take it into a boiling pot of water together with garlic and ginger.
15. Mustard Oil
The last tip in the list of home remedies for numbness in hands and feet is mustard oil. It is remarkable at easing the tingling sensation as well as strengthening the muscles. You just need to warm up some mustard oil and have your numb area massaged with that warm oil on a daily basis.
- In case you are numb because of prolonged time in one position, help yourself move slowly around to improve the circulation of blood.
- Do not remain in the same posture for long time, especially in front of computer or TV.
- Keep out of alcoholic drinks and caffeine as they might decline the circulation of blood.
- Consume more green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits instead of refined and processed foods.
- Consume sufficient water during the day to maintain hydration and avoid poor circulation of blood.
- Keep out of cigarettes as well as other products of tobacco as they might overload your nervous system.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!