Table of Contents
In this article, we would like to introduce to you about the common problem of Nosebleeds as well as our top recommended 15 treatments.
What are Nosebleeds?
Because the inner nose contains numerous small blood vessels; therefore, it is one of the most sensitive areas in the body. Thus when those vessels are impacted, there will be blood flowed out of the nostril, or occasionally both nostrils.
The bleeding can be either light or heavy which can prolong for couples of second up to over 10 minutes.
Nosebleeds are often accompanied by signs such as weakness, dizziness, confusion as well as fainting.
Nosebleeds do not exclude anyone; however, they are more popular with children from 2 to 10 years old as well as adults from 50 to 80 years old.
What cause Nosebleeds?
Nosebleeds can be trigger by various causes; however, most popular one is dry air which makes the nasal membranes dry.
Also there are some other factors such as nose blowing, allergic reactions, chemical irritants exposure, nose injuries, excessive heat, repeated sneezing, high altitudes, nose picking and hard scratching, excessive smoking and abuse of alcohol as well as overdose of aspirin.
Additionally, nosebleeds can occurs from the deficiency of nutrition, changes in hormone during pregnancy, infections of upper respiratory system, high blood pressure, cancer and disorders of blood clotting.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for nosebleeds which are easy for you to follow in order to get rid of nosebleeds as well as strengthen your immune system.
1. Pinch the Nose
The most effective method from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds is having the nose time-honored pinched. It will create pressure onto the bleeding point at the nasal septum which will cease the blood flow instantly.
How to do:
- Take straight sitting position with slightly tilted head to the front.
- Take your thump together with index finger and have the soft part of your nose under the bony bridge pinched.
- Perform to about 10 minutes. At the same time, breathe with your mouth.
- Gently remove the pressure and quietly sit for about 5 minutes.
- Perform again if needed until the bleeding is ceased.
Note: Avoid lying flat as well as tilting the head backward or even have the head between the legs. Also avoid having your nose blown.
2. Cold Compress
This simple yet effective method from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds is incredibly effective. The cold will make the blood vessels narrow faster, thus decelerate the flow of blood and cease the bleeding in just couples of minute.
How to do:
- Take some ice cubes to wrap in a towel.
- Take an upright sitting position with your head tilted backward.
- Use the ice pack to apply directly onto the nose bridge for about 10 minutes.
- Perform again if needed.
Note: Avoid using directly ice on the nose.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can make the list of home remedies for nosebleeds is because it can prevent yourself from losing blood excessively as well as cover up the broken wall of blood vessels.
How to use:
- Take a cotton ball to soak in the vinegar and apply lightly inside the nostril. Keep it in there for about 10 minutes and the bleeding will cease. Also you can some distilled white vinegar with this method.
- Another way is taking 2 teaspoons of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar into some warm water and consume 3 times per day. This way will prevent you from having nosebleeds frequently.
Even though, it is a hot spice, it is included in the list of home remedies for nosebleeds because it can act as the cell stimulant and control the flow pressure of blood. It means such heavy pressure will be removed from hemorrhaging area, thus promote quick coagulation. Cayenne pepper is also one of the best Home Remedies for Runny Nose.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of cayenne powder into some warm water and consume in order to quickly stop the nosebleeds.
- Also you might take its capsules for 3 times per day to prevent getting nosebleeds frequently but only after consulting the doctor.
- You can include cayenne pepper into your regular foods.
Considered an excellent clotting agent, it is an extremely effective ingredient from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds. Furthermore, the natural fumes from onion can even support the blood clotting.
How to use:
- Take an onion to cut into some thick slices. Then put a slice under the nose and breathe in the fumes. This method will cease the bleeding in just couples of minute.
- Another way is taking 2 to 3 drops of fresh extracted juice of onion into both nostrils. Perform again if needed.
Onion also appears among top Home Remedies for Nasal Polyps.
6. Saline Water
Because the dryness of nasal membranes in cold season is the most the popular factor which triggers nosebleeds; therefore, in order to get rid of this problem as well as ease and moisturize the irritation of nasal membranes, you can use the saline water from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds.
How to use:
- Take a little bit of salt into some water and dissolve. Then take some drops of that solution into the nostril in order to moisten the nasal passages’ inner lining.
- Also you can use the spray of saline nasal which is available at the market.
Perform 2 to 3 times every day during the dry and cold climates. Find out more about Home Remedies for Acute Sinusitis.
The astringent property from the nettle can effectively promote the clotting as well as cease the blood flow. Moreover, it can strengthen the capillaries and is extremely beneficial for the treatment of allergies which can trigger the bleeding. Therefore, it is very well-recommended in the list of home remedies for nosebleeds.
How to use:
- In order to stop the bleeding, you just simply breathe in some dry powder of nettle leaves.
- Also you can extract some juice from nettle leaves and take some drops into both nostrils. The bleeding will be ceased soon.
- In case you are vulnerable to nosebleeds in dry months, consume 1 – 2 cups every day of nettle tea.
With the soothing and cooling nature, coriander is highly regarded in the list of home remedies for nosebleeds. Moreover, considered the natural antihistamine, it will protect you from numerous allergies which can trigger nosebleeds.
How to use:
- Take some drops of the oil or fresh juice from coriander into the inner lining of the nose in order to stop the bleeding soon.
- Also you can make a paste from coriander leaves and apply directly onto the forehead. Its cooling property will cease the bleeding quickly.
9. Holy Basil
Containing many amazing properties which are beneficial for soothing the nerves during nosebleeds, this herb is a considerable option from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds which you should pay attention.
How to use:
- Take some fresh leaves of basil to chew thoroughly. It will effectively calm your body and cease the bleeding soon.
- Another way is taking some extracted juice from basil leaves and have each nostril took 2 drops. This method will also help cease the bleeding.
10. Petroleum Jelly
In order to avoid nosebleeds in dry months, it is important to maintain the moisture for the inside of your nostrils. Petroleum jelly from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds is capable of performing that task easily as it is highly moisturizing as well as viscous, which will not trigger irritation for the nasal passages.
How to use:
- Take some petroleum jelly onto the finger and apply directly into the nose.
- Perform couples of time per day in order to maintain moisture for the nose.
Note: Do not overuse petroleum jelly at one time in order to avoid the risk of breathing in as well as swallowing petroleum jelly.
11. Lemon Juice
With its acidic properties, it can significantly cease the nosebleeds. Take some drops of lemon juice into the nostril which is bleeding. Then the bleeding will be stopped quickly.
This might sound odd but this is actually an effective tip from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds. You just simply light a match and have it blown out then have the smoky tip placed underneath your nose. Gently breathe in the smoke in order to avoid sniffing. There are components contained in the smoke that can immediately heal the blood vessels which are broken.
This is the first thing you should think about in the list of home remedies for nosebleeds whenever you are experiencing the bleeding as it can calm even some severe nosebleeds. You just need to roll up some gauze and have them placed below the upper lip (in between the gums and lip).
14. Vitamin K
Deficiency of vitamin K is also a factor which can trigger nosebleeds. Therefore, you need to supply sufficiently vitamin K from foods such as raw peanuts in order to lower the risk of getting nosebleeds.
15. Vitamin C
The last tip from the list of home remedies for nosebleeds is about vitamin C. This vitamin is excellent at strengthening the walls from the nasal blood vessels.
- Avoid lying down when you are having nosebleeds. You should elevated your head and keep it higher than the heart. Then breathe with your mouth.
- After the bleeding ceases, take a straight sitting position with the head slightly tilted forward. Also, do not exert or have your nose blown for couples of hour.
- Make use of humidifier in the bedroom in order to prevent dry air.
- In order to maintain moisture for the mucous membranes, consume sufficient water every day.
- Have some warm showers and inhale deeply to allow moisture to go inside your nose.
- Avoid smoking as it will irritates and make nasal passages dry. Also keep out of smoky environment.
- Increase iron intake in the daily diet in order to improve the level of hemoglobin.
- Consume more zinc-based foods such as whole wheat bread, brown rice as well as air-popped popcorn in order to uphold the blood vessels in your body.
- Keep out of spicy and dry foods.
- In order to avoid nosebleeds, do not scratch or pick the nose hard.
- Restrain blood thinners. In case you need to use blood thinners, have the doctor informed about nosebleeds if any.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!