Table of Contents
If you reveal any rounded and pink lesions occurring on the skin, you might need to feel panic. Perhaps, something terrible may happen. In fact, you are supposed to have molluscum contagiosum, considered as a DNA poxvirus affecting your skin and leading to the creation of bulb-like warts. Besides some medical treatments, home remedies for molluscum contagiosum are widely applied to help ease the symptoms and hope to bring good outcomes.
What is Molluscum Contagiosum?
The skin plays a necessary role in other people’s first impression on you. Therefore, any problem with the skin may cause discomforts and affect negatively people’s daily lives. Molluscum contagiosum is one of the most common skin problems. The most vulnerable victims of molluscum contagiosum are children, while some adults who are sexually active may also get molluscum contagiosum.
Molluscum contagiosum often leads to the appearance of small spots which may not bring the pain. This makes you sometimes underestimate the severity of the problem. Thus, as soon as you notice small spots on your skin or the skin of your children, you should ask a doctor for advice.
Causes of Molluscum Contagiosum
The main cause for molluscum contagiosum is the virus whose name is similar. It can spread through diverse ways, ranging from sexual contact to the use of clothes or towels of people infected with the virus. When finding out its underlying, you can easily apply suitable home remedies for molluscum contagiosum.
Apart from that, some risk factors for contracting molluscum contagiosum virus is composed of:
- Spending time at school or in daycare
- Exposing to lots of sex partners
- Possessing a weakened immunity associated with AIDS, or under some cancer treatments
- Sharing clothing or towels with others who might carry the virus
- Using to live in tropical climate regions
- Not washing the hands often or using the public bathroom.
- Playing certain types of sports like football, wrestling and so on
- Going to the gym or using any fitness facilities, particularly if you are touching surfaces which are contaminated with viruses and do not shower after that.
- Working or talking with people who are supposed to have molluscum contagiosum.
Symptoms of Molluscum Contagiosum
Since molluscum contagiosum triggers bumps on the skin, this virus is often mistaken for chickenpox, warts, STDs like herpes and skin cancer. Basically, molluscum contagiosum symptoms can develop in 07 weeks after the exposure to a virus. Although you might find those symptoms rare, this virus still becomes a nuisance. In some cases, the symptoms can last for several months. It might take from twelve to eighteen months for those symptoms t be fade away and molluscum contagiosum can be contagious during the time.
You should remember the following of common symptoms of molluscum contagiosum. They include:
- Flesh colored tiny or pink bumps on babies and children’ skin. Those bumps look round, firm, dome-shaped as well as smooth over the top. They can blend into the skin; however, it is easily spotted since they get a small indentation at the top. Sometimes, molluscum contagiosum is mistaken for warts or even vice versa since these two look the same.
- In moderate cases of MC, there are about 20 bumps growing up on the skin. Those who contract weak immune system because of having other illness, including a virus like AIDS or autoimmune disorder are more prone to this problem.
- Itchiness and discomfort on the skin
- The feeling of sensitivity to touch and heat.
- People suffering from another skin problems, consisting of dermatitis or eczema can get more serious molluscum contagiosum symptoms. Once eczema and molluscum contagiosum occur at the same time, you might experience the pain called eczematou eruption (or known as molluscum eczema).
Take a note that molluscum contagiosum symptoms can be on the limbs, face, chest or somewhere else on the body. Most commonly affected body parts caused by molluscum contagiosum are on the neck, arms, face, genitals, armpits, inner thighs or abdomen.
Top Effective Home Remedies for Molluscum Contagiosum
Although molluscum contagiosum does not cause pain, it can make your beauty decline. As a result, you will become less confident when meeting other people. That’s why many of us are willing to remove molluscum contagiosum at any cost. However, the fact is that you do not have to waste so much time or money. There are many home remedies for molluscum contagiosum that can help you get rid of molluscum contagiosum naturally. Another benefit of these remedies is that there is no side effect. Drugs recommended by doctors can treat the problem, but molluscum contagiosum virus will come back shortly.
Here are the top 19 most effective home remedies for molluscum contagiosum which you can try easily at home in order to help you treat the infections and improve your skin condition.
Garlic is placed first in the top list of home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. How many times have you heard about the use of garlic in the skin and hair care? You may not remember them all because garlic has many benefits, one of which is to speed up the treatment of molluscum contagiosum. In addition, garlic has even greater benefits when it can boost the immunity and prevent many diseases.
- Cut some garlic cloves into small pieces.
- Place them in the areas where molluscum contagiosum appears.
- Use a bandage to cover those areas.
- Those areas should be washed with water and you can repeat the process after you take a bath.
2. Coconut Oil
There are many antibacterial substances that play a necessary role in a healthy skin from coconut oil. For many years, coconut oil has been considered as one of the best home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. This remedy can ease the pain caused by molluscum contagiosum and eradicate the bumps on the skin. You can apply coconut oil directly to the skin several times on a daily basis.
Coconut oil is extremely well-known for treatment of skins problems, even the most complex one as scars from acne. You can find out more about its benefits at: Home Remedies for Acne Scars.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Another one of the natural oils that can help you get rid of molluscum contagiosum naturally is tea tree oil. It provides many nutrients to fight against the virus and prevent it from coming back to disturb your life.
- Take some spoons of tea tree oil into a bowl.
- Use a cotton ball soaked in the oil to rub it over the skin where the bumps appear.
- You should follow this method 2-3 times on a daily basis.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is very helpful in the top home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. In addition, it has great impacts on the skin. After several times of applying olive oil directly on the painful skin areas, you will notice improvements and even have a more beautiful, smooth and tight skin.
5. Sea Salt
One of the most economical ways on home remedies for molluscum contagiosum naturally is sea salt, which has a huge amount on Earth. Sea salt can eliminate the accumulation of impurities and bacteria which appear on the skin.
- Prepare some spoons of sea salt and honey.
- Mix it with the olive oil well.
- The mixture should be applied on the skin and you can give your skin some minutes of massage.
- Then, use fresh water to wash the skin.
- Leave your skin dry naturally.
6. Baking Soda
Another potential home remedies for molluscum contagiosum is baking soda. Baking soda provides a variety of applications in the medical world, from digestive problems to hair and skin troubles. The antioxidant property makes baking soda one of the best home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. It can enable you to stay away from many other skin problems, such as sunburn.
- Mix baking soda with a cup of warm water.
- The mixture should be applied on the skin.
- After several minutes, you can take a bath to wash the skin.
For more information about the benefits and applications of baking soda, please read on: Home Remedies for Diaper Rash.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a very popular ingredient used in both cooking and medicine. It can remove the dead cells and speed up the healing process of the skin. With antiviral property, apple cider vinegar is without a doubt suitable on home remedies for molluscum contagiosum.
- Use a cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar.
- Put the cotton ball over the painful skin.
- After that, use warm water to wash the skin.
To maximize the benefits, you should apply this remedy 2-3 times per day.
Besides molluscum contagiosum, apple cider vinegar is also extremely effective against many types of allergy with symptoms on the skin. You can find out more: Home Remedies for Allergies.
Another incredible home remedies for molluscum contagiosum is neem. Originating from India, neem is a wonderful herb that can improve the removal of bumps caused by molluscum contagiosum. It is widely known that neem can treat problems related to skin and throat. It can prevent the virus from attacking the body and damaging the immune system, which can make you more exposed to molluscum contagiosum. Thus, neem can enable you to get rid of molluscum contagiosum naturally in a short time.
- Choose some neem leaves and put it into the water.
- The mixture should be boiled for 5 minutes.
- Use the mixture to take a bath on a daily basis.
9. Australian Lemon Myrtle
Containing many antifungal nutrients, Australian lemon myrtle is one of the most popular home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. It can eliminate the dead cells and improve the growth of new skin.
- Take Australian lemon myrtle and add some spoons of olive oil.
- Then, the mixture can be applied directly to the skin.
10. Elderberry Extract
Elderberry has been made use of to treat many different diseases, such as leg pain or sinus pain. In addition, it can boost the immunity of the body, which helps you prevent from being infected with the virus triggering molluscum contagiosum. Therefore, the extract from elderberries can be beneficial for your skin and becomes among natural home remedies for the molluscum contagiosum. You can purchase it at many stores.
Lots of people do not know that catechu is among top home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. Catechu is known for containing anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties. You can use it in the form of paste and wait until the skin becomes dry.
You may have a bad impression of chemical remedies because you may have spent a lot of money and time on medication, but it did not help you manage to remove molluscum contagiosum. Astringents may help to change your mind. Being a chemical compound, astringents can have positive impacts on your skin. In fact, it is one of the best remedies for skin care. And in the treatment of molluscum contagiosum, it also shows many advantages. By applying it to the skin, astringents will provide the skin with nutrients to fight against the virus and remove it from the body.
When it comes to this skin problem, do not forget vitamin which is mentioned on the top list of best home remedies for molluscum contagiosum. A diversity of vitamin intake will guarantee that you can get rid of molluscum contagiosum naturally and successfully. Some vitamins, such as A or E, are great to maintain a good and healthy skin. You can eat fruits which contain a large amount of vitamin or consume vitamin oil.
14. Duct Tape
No matter what causes skin bumps, duct tape can help to wipe them out. It is one of the simplest, but most effective home remedies for molluscum contagiosum you may ever know.
- Put duct tape over the skin infected with molluscum contagiosum. You should do this before going to bed.
- In the next morning, the duct tape should be discarded.
Duct Tape is also a safety tip on how to get rid of Skin tags fast.
Another chemical compound that is popular in the field of skin care is iodine. Other skin infections can be treated easily with the support of iodine and molluscum contagiosum is not an exception. Iodine can be used directly over the skin infected with molluscum contagiosum.
16. Oregano Oil
While there are a lot of successful home remedies for molluscum contagiosum, oregano oil is a real lifesaver. Even though lots of people think that oregano is just simply as a spice, the oil is a good source of antioxidant properties, consisting of terpenes, thymol, rosmarinic and carvacrol acid. These compounds aid in reducing the inflammation of affected skin area and thereby boosting your immune systems to combat with molluscum contagiosum virus.
- Add about six drops of oregano oil to a teaspoon of almond or olive oil
- Rub it over the affected skin area and wait for several hours
- Rinse it off with clean and warm water before patting dry the skin area carefully
- Perform the same process for thrice per day
17. Colloidal Oatmeal
For helping soothe the itchy and irritated skin caused by molluscum contagiosum, you should not abandon colloidal oatmeal which is known as one of the most workable home remedies for molluscum contagiosum.
Colloidal oatmeal contains fatty acids and it is able to keep the skin moisturized. In addition, it is loaded with anti-irritating as well as anti-inflammatory compounds that can quickly offer the best relief from itchiness.
- Mix a cup of colloidal oatmeal with your bathtub full of warm water
- Dip your affected skin area into the bathtub for 20 minutes
- Perform the same process for thrice per day, depending on your status of the condition
Or, you can opt for:
- Place some colloidal oatmeal into the water to help create a paste
- Rub the paste over the bumps and get it covered with a clean cloth
- Keep it on for a half an hour
- Re-apply the same process for only once everyday
Drinking much alcohol is not good for your health but using it to treat molluscum contagiosum is potential instead. Basically, plain alcohol is ideal for eliminating molluscum contagiosum. Applying the treatment to your affected skin and covering it is a good and natural protector because it helps destroy the infection. That is the reason why alcohol is widely used for wounds cover. Alcohol can assist in soaking into your lesions, thereby neutralizing the virus. You can see that those lesions might lower and vanish within a couple of days.
19. Increasing The Immune Function
In case your molluscum contagiosum is too serious or takes very long time to be healed, this says that your immunity can be compromised. Among top natural home remedies for molluscum contagiosum, there are some best ways to aid in enhancing and boost your immunity function and improve the protection fighting off this virus.
- Consuming a diet that is nutrient-dense, especially foods high in antioxidant such as fruit and veggies. Also, probiotic foods are highly recommended because they are powerful for those who have gut health and successfully alleviating the inflammatory reactions.
- Ignoring inflammatory foods like refined grains, added sugar, processed vegetable oils, processed meats or packaged foods with synthetic ingredients.
- Sleeping enough from eight to nine hours every night or more for most children.
- Reducing stress.
- Having physical activity.
- Dealing with allergies, nutrient deficiencies or any underlying health issue including autoimmune disorders.
Besides, there are certain types of supplements that can be most useful for encouraging your immune function, hence reducing inflammation. Those supplements are also safe for the kids. You can confer to one of the following to get rid of MC virus:
- Antiviral herbs, consisting of astragalus and elderberry
- Probiotic supplement
- Vitamin C
Word of Caution
When molluscum contagiosum does not severely threaten anybody’s life, it might persist for some years if remaining untreated properly.
Infecting family, friends, and others who are having close contact with is actually unfortunate and unpleasant; therefore, combining home remedies for molluscum contagiosum and other more prescriptions are strongly suggested.
How To Prevent Molluscum Contagiosum
Apart from those above-mentioned home remedies for molluscum contagiosum, if you are searching for on how to prevent molluscum contagiosum, then one of the most effective ways is to prevent skin to skin contact with anyone who have the infection. Once you are suffering from MCV and opt for watching and waiting instead of treating the virus, it is vital to help stop the virus from spreading while you are healing. Generally, the duration time of bump occurrence on the skin can be up to four months or more than a year. Till bumps are completely cleared, infected persons can have a chance to spread molluscum contagiosum to the others.
Here are a few of handy tips for molluscum contagiosum prevention from spreading:
- Take a shower or a bath for children after spending time at daycare. Always tell them to wash the hands off and do not share clothing with the other kids.
- Change bed frequently, typically when not less than a person sleeps in bed.
- Do not share clothes, towels, equipment with anyone who is currently infected.
- Keep the child at home if he is active to molluscum contagiosum. Stay at home and do not go to work when you have molluscum contagiosum too.
- Perform safe sex and remember to reduce sex partners. Bear in mind that you had better use a condom and avoid practicing sex once the virus is active.
- Have a shower after leaving the gym or touching any fitness facility or playing some contact sports. When you have a virus, abandon contact sports and do not share sports equipment. In addition, swimming in public pools is not allowed meanwhile symptoms of molluscum contagiosum are still active.
- Wash blanket, towels, and fabrics around your home regularly.
- Washing the hands after using a bathroom.
When To Visit A Doctor?
In case, you find those home remedies for molluscum contagiosum ineffective, molluscum contagiosum had better fade away by its own when time passes by if you can leave it alone. However, once the virus becomes severe or persists for a long time, you need to consult your doctor right away. This tells that the immune system does not work properly and an underlying health matter can get involved. Please allow your doctor to know about risk factors that are come to you. Limiting any close contact with people while the bumps are available to prevent them from influencing the others.
No matter your health condition is severe or not, the most important thing to remember is to protect yourself first before affecting the other. When knowing exactly what problem is coming to us, you should not rush. Instead, searching for some best ways to deal with it. For those who are thinking they might contract molluscum contagiosum virus, home remedies for molluscum contagiosum are always available to help you ease and reduce its symptoms. Consulting your doctors right after you do not see any improvement in your condition.
Have you pocketed any home remedies for molluscum contagiosum which fits you best? Don’t hesitate to let us know and spread sharing.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!