Table of Contents
The immune system plays a vital role in maintaining our well-being. It serves as a shield that prevents foreign substances from entering our body and causing problems. However, there are times when your immunity makes mistakes. In this case, they are known as autoimmune diseases.
Let’s get to know one of the most common autoimmune diseases among the population – lupus! And do not forget to mention our home remedies for lupus to help you address the problem quickly.
What is Lupus?
Lupus is one of the results of those attacks, and women tend to suffer more than men.
Lupus has various types, but most common one is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE. It can happen on different part of the body, from internal organs such as heart, lungs, kidneys… to external part like skin, and even brain can be affected.
For many people, lupus is not a problem because it does not affect their lives at all. However, others might struggle with a series of serious signs.
Notably, it may be difficult to distinguish lupus from other similar problems, including Lyme disease or thyroid disorders. In many cases, the accurate diagnosis may come after many years, which causes many people to use a lot of prescriptions without seeing improvements.
Nowadays, there are some possible options for you to get rid of lupus, including conventional medications and also, home remedies for lupus.
What Causes Lupus?
The precise cause for Lupus remains mysterious. However, there are various factors which can trigger Lupus, from viruses, ultraviolet, genes to medications.
Typically, genetic factor is often the main cause of Lupus; nevertheless, viruses and ultraviolet light is on the rise at the moment. On the other hand, women who already suffered SLE will be more likely to experience worse symptoms when on menstrual than normal.
Here are some possible factors that increase your risk of getting lupus. You can check to see whether you belong to one of these groups or not.
- Your family has members who have suffered from lupus or some autoimmune disorders
- Women have a higher risk of lupus
- People from 15 to 45 years old
- The exposure to toxins
- Those have a poor diet or suffer from the deficiencies of nutrients
- Food allergies
Symptoms of Lupus
Lupus’ symptoms are different on a case basis; even the level of severe and the time are varied. Nonetheless, one common characteristic among Lupus patients is flare. It is used to describe the period which is every time the symptoms are getting worse follow by a period of reduced or no symptoms at all.
Besides, there are still common symptoms for people to distinguish:
- Fever and fatigue with swelling and pain in joints
- Rash with butterfly shape across cheeks and nose
- Photosensitivity problem which is skin injuries that is worse under the sunlight
- Raynaud’s phenomenon which is the problem of toes and fingers’ skin color that change to blue or white when cold or stressful.
- Having quick and short breathe
- Having dry eyes
- Pain in chest
- Headache with sometimes confusion
- Even memory loss
Home Remedies for Lupus
In fact, it is difficult to diagnose Lupus as there is no specific framework for that. Moreover, Lupus people can still continue their life normally. In order to treat Lupus, you can seek the help from rheumatologists.
Note: Please consult the doctors immediately in case you are having unidentified rash, persistent fever with aching body and fatigue.
Here are 15 simple home remedies for lupus which you can easily apply at home in order to reduce the symptoms of Lupus and prevent them from getting worse.
The Curcumin ingredient in turmeric is famous for its anti-inflammatory property which is good for fighting against such autoimmune disease as Lupus. Therefore, it is undeniable that turmeric is one of the best home remedies for lupus.
How to use:
- Add into your daily diet with milk. Simply boil 1 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Mix with few drops of honey and consume 1 to 2 times per day.
- If the above option is not your preference, you can take in the form of supplementary pills with approximately 400 to 600 mg in 3 times per day.
Note: Avoid using turmeric for people with gallbladder. Also, a side effect of turmeric is thinning your blood.
Ginger is the next name among top home remedies for lupus. The antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties within ginger is useful in reducing Lupus symptoms, such as swelling and pain in joints.
How to use:
- Add into your daily cooking meals. Also for your fresh juices, add some ginger root into the making process is another option for using ginger.
- Have the doctor consult you about the use of ginger supplementary pills.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Lupus people often lack a substance called hydrochloric acid which is present in apple cider vinegar. Moreover, taking apple cider vinegar can detoxify your body and help increase the absorbing capability for nutrients. There is no doubt that apple cider vinegar is one of the most significant home remedies for lupus.
How to use:
- Mix 1 glass of warm water with 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Add in the juice of ½ lemon
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day with 20 minutes earlier of meal time.
Thanks to the containment of medium-chain fatty acids, coconut oil is one of the most excellent home remedies for lupus. It is useful in improving immune system and controlling negative responses of the system.
How to use:
- Consume 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on a daily basis
- Use it in daily cooking
- Add into juices or smoothies are also an option.
Fatigue as well as pain and inflammation in joints can be cured by taking an Epsom salt bath. It is a great source of magnesium and a detoxification solution or your body. It is one of the most popular home remedies for lupus because it is available in most kitchens around the world.
How to use:
- Mix 1 cup of Epsom salt into the bathtub
- Stay for at least 15 to 20 minutes
- Apply the remedy couples of time per week.
Note: Avoid applying for diabetes people or having problems with kidneys.
Commonly known as tulsi with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, this herb is excellent for reducing stress and fatigue, improving well-being, correcting functions of organs . In other words, basil is one of the best home remedies for lupus you have ever known.
How to use:
- Put 1 teaspoon of either dried or fresh basil leaves into 1 glass of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain and add some honey
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day
- Another option is chewing fresh leaves
By containing alpha-linolenic acid, flaxseed is effective for reducing the inflammation symptoms of Lupus and improving the functions of kidneys. However, beware of bloating or abdominal pain from taking flaxseed. It is one of the best home remedies for lupus, but you should also take its side effects into consideration.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Possessing the anti-inflammatory property, omega-3 fatty acids can significantly reduce the symptoms of Lupus as well as improve the functions of blood vessels. They are the most essential features of many home remedies for lupus.
How to use:
- Consume foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids daily, especially fish such as salmon, tuna and others such as walnuts or chia seeds.
- Take supplementary fish oil after consulting the doctors.
Probiotics are essential bacteria which help to improve the immune system. Thus, it promotes the remission of Lupus symptoms and decreases the frequency of flares. You can use them as excellent home remedies for lupus.
How to use:
- Increase the level of probiotics in your body through consuming more fermented foods
- Take supplementary probiotics after consulting the doctors.
In addition to natural home remedies for lupus, people will need to exercise as it helps reducing fatigue as well as stiffness in joints.
Aerobics is recommended as it can significantly improve cardiovascular health and strength of muscles.
Exercises also bring out your joyful mood which increases your life quality, thus it will alleviate any negative effects coming from your medical treatment.
How to do:
- Do exercises which are less likely to pressure your joints such as cycling, walking or swimming or even stretching.
- Practice Tai Chi.
Lack of vitamin D3 is the cause for autoimmune diseases. Therefore, supplement vitamin D is essential for control such disease as Lupus as those vitamin D substances can promote the strength of immune system. That’s why foods containing vitamin D are usually the best home remedies for lupus.
How to use:
- Supply vitamin D from consuming foods such as cereal with milk, fish or cheese…
- Take supplementary vitamin D after consulting the doctors
Note: Sunbath is a preferred option for obtaining vitamin D. However, Lupus people should not do so because people with Lupus often possess the photosensitivity symptoms.
Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which are found in vitamin A can help alleviating the Lupus symptoms in lungs, intestines and skin. Foods such as whole milk or liver are rich in vitamin A, which make them the best home remedies for lupus.
Moreover, beta-carotene in which colorful vegetables are sufficient is also a great source as vitamin A can be converted from it.
Lupus people usually experience pain in chronic joints and muscles. Therefore, massage is one of the most useful home remedies for lupus as it is excellent in relieving the stiffness in joints and muscles.
However, for people with Lupus symptoms affecting the skin, avoid excessive massage which can make the skin more vulnerable to the Lupus symptoms. You need to consult with professional massage therapists in case you have the desire to use massage as a treatment.
Its functions are manipulating spine and tissues which is to relieving pain as well as promoting the flexibility in joints. However, this remedy is complicated and complex which requires professional trained practitioners to execute the procedure. As a result, it is at the bottom of the list of top home remedies for lupus.
With similar functions as chiropractic, acupuncture is also chosen as one of the best home remedies for lupus because it helps relieve the impacts of Lupus symptoms. Due to its complexity, it needs to be executed by professional therapists.
- Maintain a record of your symptoms as well as doctor’s check-up in order to keep track of your condition so that the treatment can be precise and efficient.
- Prevent yourself from getting stress both physically and mentally.
- Consider apply few other methods such as yoga and meditation with guided imagery which also can help alleviating your symptoms.
- In photosensitivity case, make sure to apply sunscreen cream and cover up well before going out.
- Avoid foods which cause allergies.
- Avoid consuming animal fat and protein. Instead, take supplementary vitamin B12 pills to make up for the lack.
- Stop smoking in order to improve the treatment for symptoms on heart and lungs.
Natural home remedies for lupus are undeniably beneficial, but are they the only way to deal with lupus?
Even though you can ask your doctor or rheumatologist to help you treat lupus, it is imperative to make some changes in your lifestyles. Sometimes, you might get a number of prescriptions and experience the experiment to see how these medications can help control the problem.
It is essential to bear in mind that the use of these medications is probably responsible for different side effects, including anxiety. If you use them over a long time, you can be too dependent on them, which leads to other severe problems.
Therefore, remember to ask for more information regarding the side effects before you decide to use any drug.
Hydrocortisone and prednisone are two of the most popular steroids you can get for the treatment of lupus. They aim to reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain. However, these steroids possibly lead to some side effects, such as weight gain, acne, hormonal changes, or sudden mood changes. Some people might even encounter depression or insomnia.
- Anti-rheumatic drug
Hydroxychloroquine was commonly used to address malaria. At the same time, it is recommended to cope with rheumatoid arthritis, some signs of lupus, or some autoimmune diseases.
- Immunosuppressive medications
If you want to know about immunosuppressive medications, they are usually belimumab, methotrexate, and cyclophosphamide. The primary purpose of using these medications is to control inflammation as well as regulate your overactive immune system.
However, in addition to relieving pain and reducing inflammation, these medications are likely to cause some side effects, especially affecting your abilities to combat infections. As a consequence, they may make you have a high risk of cancer. Other side effects are hair loss, lung damage, allergies, or bladder and kidney problems.
- NSAID painkillers
You can make use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to cope with pain in your muscles, tenderness, headaches, and joint pain. However, it is easy to get addicted. Also, you can suffer from some unwanted effects, such as liver or kidney damage.
- Birth control pills or synthetic hormones
It is possible to use them to regulate your hormones and fight the unwanted effects of some medications. However, at the same time, you develop a high risk of weight gain, endometriosis, or blood-clotting issues.
- Anticoagulants and blood pressure medications
People often use these medications to address the changes in their blood pressure or blood clotting. You can take advantage of them for the treatment of lupus. Nevertheless, some possible unwanted effects you need to be cautious of are low blood pressure, heart problems, bleeding, and weakness.
When to See A Doctor
Lupus is closely associated with our immune system; therefore, you might realize that it is imperative to address the problem as soon as possible. Otherwise, your immunity becomes weak, and you are more likely to have health problems in the future.
If you have little idea of this problem as well as how to use home remedies for lupus, the recommendation is to seek medical attention quickly. The doctor will give you advice on how to get rid of flareups efficiently. Besides, you can get reference to an expert, such as a rheumatologist.
Before the appointment with your doctor, you should prepare some basic information about your condition as well as your medical history. You had better speak if one of your family members used to suffer from any autoimmune disorders. Genetics has a significant effect on lupus.
What to Avoid
Many foods serve as excellent home remedies for lupus, but others might be counter-productive for the treatment. Therefore, it is essential to learn which food you should avoid at any prices so that your treatment can produce the best outcome.
Here are typical examples of foods which worsen the situation of lupus.
You can find gluten in most products which contain flour, such as wheat or barley. There is a common problem known as gluten intolerance which refers to the inability to digest gluten. As a consequence, it is responsible for inflammation or leaky gut syndromes. All of these contribute to severe signs of lupus.
- Too much alcohol and caffeine
When you consume caffeine or alcohol excessively, you are more likely to experience anxiety and other problems, such as liver damage, dehydration, and pain. Besides, they can have negative effects on your sleep quality. As a result, your treatment of lupus will not be efficient.
- Trans fat
Fats, whether trans or saturated, should be limited when you have lupus. The most popular sources of these fats are fast food or processed foods. They might raise the risk of inflammation as well as some cardiovascular problems.
On the other hand, it is essential to bear in mind that lupus patients often have problem metabolizing saturated fats which usually come from creamy or packaged foods.
- Foods with much sodium
Lupus has some adverse effects on your kidneys. Thus, the suggestion is to limit the consumption of sodium (or even salt) so that you do not encounter fluid retention. Also, if you avoid using high-sodium foods, you can prevent swelling and some imbalances of your electrolyte levels.
- Added sugar
When you get too much sugar, it might cause your immune system to be overstimulated. As a result, you might suffer from severe pain.
- Some legumes
Even though legumes are beneficial for our health, they might turn out to be harmful if you use them improperly. Green beans, soybeans, or alfalfa seeds have a substance which can stimulate the flare-up of lupus. Therefore, the recommendation is to avoid them.
How to Prevent Lupus
It has been increasingly common for people to use natural home remedies for lupus, instead of conventional treatment. These remedies are highly appreciated because of their safety and availability.
Furthermore, they are also useful for those who want to prevent the problem. If you manage to follow these crucial tips, the likelihood is that you never have to worry about lupus at any moment of your life.
An anti-inflammatory diet
The importance of diet in the effort to prevent and address lupus is unquestionable. You can reduce the risk of inflammation and other complications by consuming the right foods.
Overall, if you are serious about preventing lupus, you had better use these foods regularly:
- Wild-caught fish which contains a lot of omega-3 fats. They are essential to combat inflammation and pain. Some typical examples are tuna, sardines, or salmon
- Bone broth is super beneficial for treating autoimmune and inflammatory problems which come from lupus. You should use 8-16 ounces on a daily basis to get the best result
- Organic foods limit the number of toxins and additives, which improves your well-being in general
- Raw vegetables will help stimulate an alkaline body, prevent inflammation, and enhance your digestive system
- High-antioxidants foods, including fruits and vegetables, have incredible influence on fighting free radical damage and alleviating your fatigue. You can use avocado, berries, garlic, or leafy green vegetables
Rest and sleep enough
Fatigue appears as one of the first signs of lupus in more or less than 80 percent of cases. To deal with fatigue, you need to improve your sleep quality every night. Also, your body needs regular rest in the daytime.
8-9 hours is a reasonable amount of time to sleep for those who suffer from lupus. It is also essential to maintain their energy level. You need to remember that in many circumstances, lupus can lead to insomnia as an unwanted effect.
Therefore, here are the tips for you to enhance your sleep quality:
- Set a habit of sleeping before 10 p.m
- Try to maintain your habit so that your body follows a circadian rhythm, which allows you to sleep more easily
- The room should be dark and cool
- Wake up calmly in the next morning by spending 10-15 minutes on breathing
- Never skip the breakfast which provides you energy for the whole day
- Do something active when you wake up, such as walking
- Reduce or stop using caffeinated drinks
Stay away from stress
Some studies claimed that lupus, as well as other autoimmune problems, could result from too much stress. The solution to this problem is to find something that can help you refresh your mind and feeling.
Yoga, acupuncture, and meditation are excellent ways to improve your physical and mental health. Simply take on what you love and let stress go away.
Keep your skin safe
Lupus can cause many skin problems, for example, rashes or legions. Moreover, some people even have itchiness, redness, or peeling. Their skin becomes highly sensitive, especially when it is exposed to the sunlight. Therefore, unless you want lupus to destroy your skin, it is an excellent idea to start protecting your skin now.
- Invest in a humidifier in the bedroom, which helps to maintain the moisture level of your skin
- It is urgent to stay away from direct sunlight during 9 a.m – 3 p.m period
- Non-toxic sunscreen is compulsory when you have to go out
- Sunglasses or hats are also useful
- Instead of wasting too much money on chemical products, you should switch to use organic ingredients, including essential oils or shea butter. They are active remedies for healthy skin
- Consume a lot of water
- Stay away from any products that contain chemical, such as perfumes, antiperspirants, or makeup
- Do not use hot water to rinse your skin
In general, you should pay much attention to lupus as it is related to one of the most essential systems in our body. Fortunately, with our natural home remedies for lupus, you can get rid of it quickly.
If you still have concerns about this problem, do not hesitate to contact your doctor or comment so that we can help you! Share the article to make sure that everyone around you is aware of this problem!
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!