What is Lupus?
Autoimmune disease is the term used to call when the immune system cannot differentiate between the tissues and external substances; which trigger the attack on the tissues. Lupus is one of the results of those attacks and women tend to suffer more than men.
Lupus has various types but most common one is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE. Lupus can happen on different part of the body, from internal organs such as heart, lungs, kidneys… to external part like skin and even brain can be affected.
What causes Lupus?
The precise cause for Lupus remains mysterious. However, there are various factors which can trigger Lupus, from viruses, ultraviolet, genes to medications.
Normally, genetic factor is often the main trigger of Lupus, however, viruses and ultraviolet light is on the rise at the moment. Furthermore, women who already suffered SLE will be more likely to experience worse symptoms when on menstrual than normal.
Lupus’ symptoms are different on a case basis; even the level of severe and the time are varied. Nonetheless, there is one common characteristic among Lupus patients which is flare. It is used to describe the period which is every time the symptoms are getting worse follow by a period of reduced or no symptoms at all.
Besides, there are still common symptoms for people to distinguish:
- Fever and fatigue with swelling and pain in joints
- Rash with butter-fly shape across cheeks and nose
- Photosensitivity problem which is skin injuries that is worse under the sunlight
- Raynaud’s phenomenon which is the problem of toes and fingers’ skin color that change to blue or white when cold or stressful.
- Having quick and short breathe
- Having dry eyes, experience pain in chest, headache with sometimes confusion and even memory loss.
In fact, it is difficult to diagnose Lupus as there is no specific framework for that. Moreover, Lupus people can still continue their life normally. In order to treat Lupus, you can seek the help from rheumatologists.
Note: Please consult the doctors immediately in case you are having unidentified rash, persistent fever with aching body and fatigue.
Here are 15 simple home remedies for lupus which you can easily apply at home in order to reduce the symptoms of Lupus and prevent them from getting worse…
The Curcumin ingredient found in turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory property which is good for fighting against such autoimmune disease as Lupus.
How to use:
- Add into your daily diet with milk. Simply boil 1 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Mix with few drops of honey and consume 1 to 2 times per day.
- If the above option is not your preference, you can take in the form of supplementary pills with approximately 400 to 600 mg in 3 times per day.
Note: Avoid using turmeric for people with gallbladder. Also a side effect of turmeric is thinning your blood.
How to use:
- Add into your daily cooking meals. Also for your fresh juices, add some ginger root into the making process is another option for using ginger.
- Have the doctor consult you about the use of ginger supplementary pills.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Lupus people often lack a substance called hydrochloric acid which is found in apple cider vinegar. Moreover, taking apple cider vinegar can detoxify your body and help increasing the absorbing capability for nutrients.
How to use:
- Mix 1 glass of warm water with 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Add in the juice of ½ lemon
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day with 20 minutes earlier of meal time.
4. Coconut Oil
Due to the containment of medium-chain fatty acids, coconut oil is excellent in improving immune system and controlling negative response of the system.
How to use:
- Consume 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on a daily basis
- Use it in daily cooking
- Add into juices or smoothies are also an option.
5. Epsom Salt
Fatigue as well as pain and inflammation in joints can be cured by taking an Epsom salt bath. It is a great source of magnesium and a detoxification solution or your body.
- Mix 1 cup of Epsom salt into the bathtub
- Stay for at least 15 to 20 minutes
- Apply the remedy couples of time per week.
Note: Avoid applying for diabetes people or having problems with kidneys.
6. Holy Basil
Commonly known as tulsi with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, this herb is excellent for reducing stress and fatigue, improving well-being, correcting functions of organs.
- Put 1 teaspoon of either dried or fresh basil leaves into 1 glass of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain and add some honey
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day
- Another option is chewing fresh leaves
By containing alpha-linolenic acid, flaxseed is effective for reducing the inflammation symptoms of Lupus and improving the functions of kidneys. However, beware of bloating or abdominal pain from taking flaxseed.
8. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
How to use:
- Consume foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids daily, especially fish such as salmon, tuna and others such as walnuts or chia seeds.
- Take supplementary fish oil after consulting the doctors.
How to use:
- Increase the level of probiotics in your body through consuming more fermented foods
- Take supplementary probiotics after consulting the doctors.
Lupus people will need to exercise as it helps reducing fatigue as well as stiffness in joints.
Aerobics is recommended as it can significantly improve cardiovascular health and strength of muscles.
Exercises also bring out your joyful mood which increases your life quality, thus it will alleviate any negative effects coming from your medication treatment.
How to do:
- Do exercises which are less likely to pressure your joints such as cycling, walking or swimming or even stretching.
- Practice Tai Chi.
11. Vitamin D
Lack of vitamin D3 is the cause for autoimmune diseases. Therefore, supplement vitamin D is essential for control such disease as Lupus as those vitamin D substances can promote the strength of immune system.
How to use:
- Supply vitamin D from consuming foods such as cereal with milk, fish or cheese…
- Take supplementary vitamin D after consulting the doctors
Note: Sunbath is a preferred option for obtaining vitamin D, however Lupus people are advised not to because normally people with Lupus often possess the photosensitivity symptoms.
12. Vitamin A
Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which are found in vitamin A can help alleviating the Lupus symptoms in lungs, intestines and skin. Foods such as whole milk or liver are rich in vitamin A. Moreover, beta-carotene in which colorful vegetables are sufficient is also a great source as vitamin A can be converted from it.
Lupus people usually experience pain in chronic joints and muscles. Therefore, massage is an effective remedy as it is excellent in relieving the stiffness in joints and muscles. However, for people with Lupus symptoms affecting the skin, avoid excessive massage which can make the skin more vulnerable to the Lupus symptoms. You need to consult with professional massage therapists in case you have the desire to use massage as a treatment.
Its functions are manipulating spine and tissues which is to relieving pain as well as promoting the flexibility in joints. However, this remedy is complicated and complex which requires professional trained practitioners to execute the procedure.
With similar functions as chiropractic, acupuncture is also chosen as a remedy for relieving the impacts of Lupus symptoms. Due to its complexity, it needs to be executed by professional therapists.
- Maintain a record of your symptoms as well as doctor’s check-up in order to keep track of your condition so that the treatment can be precise and efficient.
- Prevent yourself from getting stress both physically and mentally.
- Consider apply few other methods such as yoga and meditation with guided imagery which also can help alleviating your symptoms.
- In photosensitivity case, make sure to apply sunscreen cream and cover up well before going out.
- Avoid foods which cause allergies.
- Avoid consuming animal fat and protein. Instead, take supplementary vitamin B12 pills to make up for the lack.
- Stop smoking in order to improve the treatment for symptoms on heart and lungs.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.