In this article, we will introduce to you a problem relating to kidneys which is kidney infection together with its causes, symptoms and the top 15 treatments that we highly recommend.
What is Kidney Infection?
Also known under medical term as pyelonephritis, it is the term used to describe the problem which is triggered by infection from bacteria which goes all the way from urinary tract, bladder and urethra toward to kidneys. This problem can occur on either one or both of your kidneys.
What causes Kidney Infection?
Women, especially who are pregnant are more prone to kidney infection rather than men.
Also there are some other factors which can make you more at risk such as obstruction at the urinary tract, weakening of immune system because of HIV, diabetes or side effects of some particular treatments, prolonged usage of urinary catheter as well as kidney stones some conditions which alter or block the urine flow at the kidneys.
Kidney infection has some common signs which are pain at the lower back or even at the side where the location of kidneys are, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, burning sensation when you are urinating, fever, frequent urge for the bathroom, change in the color of urine as well as pain at location above pubic bone.
If this condition is not attended timely, it will bring some serious consequences and even some permanent damage for your kidneys.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for kidney infection which are easy for you to follow in order to get rid of kidney infection as well as strengthen your excretory system.
1. Increase Fluid Intake
The most recommended method and top tip from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is increasing the intake of fluid. Doing so will enable you to improve the healing as it can remove the bacteria, toxic and waste products out of the kidneys, thus maintain the healthiness and cleanliness. Therefore, water is also one of the simplest Home Remedies for Stone in Kidney.
How to do:
- Consume about 8 – 10 glasses of water every day.
- Also you can consume 1 – 2 glasses of coconut or lemon water every day.
- Also consume juice from vegetables and fruits in order to supply the necessary minerals and vitamins for the combat against the infection.
Note: Do not consume alcoholic beverages and coffee until the infection is totally healed.
2. Hot Water Compress
This simple tip from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is excellent at soothing pain at the hips, back and even lower abdomen which are caused by infection of kidney. It will help you relax the abdominal muscles as well as lower the pressure on bladder. Even better, it is able to soothe inflammation.
How to do:
- Take a warm heating pad or hot water bottle and apply directly onto the hips, back and lower abdomen for couples of minute.
- Perform again if needed.
3. Cranberry Juice
This ingredient from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is reported to be extremely effective at treating even infection of the urinary tract as well as help you avoid the recurrence of those conditions, especially women who are young and around middle-age.
This juice will increase the acidity of the urine, thus help you avoid the growth of bacteria on the bladder’s wall and significantly lower the risk of getting infected.
You just need to consume 1 unsweetened glass of cranberry juice every day. Avoid consuming huge amount in a long time as it might bring some side effects. It is said that consume over 1liter of cranberry juice every day will even increase the risk of having kidney stones as this fruit contains oxalate.
Containing probiotics as well as antioxidants, yogurt is considered the most valuable ingredient in the list of home remedies for kidney infection. The live bacteria contained in yogurt can prevent the bacterial adherence onto the epithelial cells at the urinary tract. Furthermore, it can even improve your immune system significantly. You can read more about yogurt in Home Remedies for Kidney Stones.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 portions of plain yogurt which contains active and live cultures every day.
- Also you can put in some fiber-rich fruits such as apples to create some tasty smoothies and consume 1 – 2 times every day.
5. Increase Vitamin C Intake
This vitamin is the most important nutrient from the list of home remedies for kidney infection as it can support your immune system in combating against infection. It will increase the level of acid at the kidneys which will destroy the bacteria that trigger the development of infection.
How to use:
- Consume 1 – 2 grapefruits, oranges as well as other citrus fruits every day.
- Also consume more foods which are rich of vitamin C such as broccoli, potatoes, peppers, sprouts, tomatoes, strawberries and kiwi.
- Another way is taking supplement of vitamin C once per day at the breakfast but only after consulting the doctor.
Note: Avoid taking supplement of vitamin C in high dose as it might be linked with kidney stones, especially for men.
You might alnHome Remedies for Dysuria.
This herb is rather popular in the list of home remedies for kidney infection due to diuretic property which is able to improve urine flow, thus more effective at flushing out harmful products as well as toxins in your body.
Furthermore, this herb is capable of combating unfriendly organisms. Additionally, the antioxidant property can even help the cells at the urinary tract avoid free radical damage.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of this herb’s dried roots into some hot water.
- Have it steeped for about 10 minutes, then strained.
- Consume 2 – 4 cups every day.
Note: Women who are nursing or pregnant as well as people who are having diabetes are not recommended to apply this tip.
7. Parsley Juice
It is considered the most efficient cleanser in the list of home remedies for kidney infection which is capable of promoting flow of urine. That is why it is used to remove microorganisms as well as harmful toxins at the kidneys.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of either dried parsley or freshly crushed parsley into some boiling water. Have it steeped for about 5 minutes and then allow it to cool down and have it strained. Consume twice every day for several weeks.
- Also you can take ¼ cup of parsley juice with some water, lemon juice and honey to mix together. Consume twice every day for about 2 weeks.
Note: Because parsley can interact with some particular medications; therefore, it is suggest that you consult the doctor before applying this tip.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
The antibacterial property from the malic acid contained in apple cider vinegar is the reason why it is included in the list of home remedies for kidney infection. It is because apple cider vinegar is able to balance the levels of pH in the body as well as inhibit the spreading of infection.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of organic vinegar with 2 teaspoons of honey into some warm water.
- Consume twice per day for few weeks.
The powerful antibiotic property from garlic is so effective that it must be included in the list of home remedies for kidney infection. Furthermore, it can work as a diuretic which is able to assist kidneys in flushing out microorganisms and harmful toxins in the body.
How to use:
- Consume 3 cloves of raw garlic every day while your stomach is still empty.
- Also you might take the supplement of garlic in the form of capsule but only after consulting the doctor.
Abundance in fiber as well as containing anti-inflammatory property, this fruit is capable of maintaining the acidic nature which will prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Consume this fruit regularly will help you avoid problems relating to kidneys effectively.
How to use:
- Consume 1 organic apple per day.
- Also you might take some apple juice or applesauce.
11. Herbal Tea
This is one of the simplest yet so effective tips in the list of home remedies for kidney infection which you might apply anytime and anywhere you can.
Herbal like marshmallow tea, chamomile tea, goldenrod tea and parsley tea are all beneficial for the treatment of kidney infection as well as other problems relating to kidneys. You just need to have some of those teas for about twice per day.
12. Aloe Vera
This fruit is great at supporting the removal of toxins in the body with it excellent cleansing mechanism. You just need to consume the juice from Aloe Vera for twice per day in order to obtain the positive results.
13. Baking Soda
This ingredient from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is extremely efficient at improving the balance of bicarbonate levels at the kidneys. Therefore, you just need to take a tablespoon of baking soda to dissolve in some water and consume every day in order to improve your kidney condition.
Considered an incredible detoxifier and diuretic, it is capable of removing even stones in the kidneys as well as strengthening the kidneys. The pain-killing property from basil can help you alleviate the pain at kidneys and lower the levels of uric acid in your blood.
15. Celery Seed Tea
Also called Apium Graveolens, this seed is the last tip in the list of home remedies for kidney infection which is capable of improving the eliminating process of waste material in the kidneys. Furthermore, it can even increase the output of urination, thus better alleviating kidney pain. The antibacterial and antifungal properties from volatile oil contained in celery seeds can combat the bacteria as well as other organisms which trigger infections or other problems relating to kidneys.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of celery seeds to ground and put in some hot water.
- Mix it well and allow it to cool down.
- Have it strained and consume once per day for about 3 days/week.
- Also women who are pregnant should not consume this tea as it is a uterine stimulant.
- Maintain good personal hygiene in order to prevent bacteria from invading your body.
- After having intercourse, it is recommended to urinate and cleanse properly in order to prevent the spreading of bacteria.
- Have your bladder empty whenever there is an urge and you should never delay.
- Keep out of foods which are rich of potassium and phosphorus.
- Quit smoking because it will deteriorate kidney functions.
- Lose excessive weight as obesity will increase the chance of having kidney stones.
- Use extra-virgin or virgin olive oil in your cooking in order to avoid problems relating to kidneys.
- Keep out of bubble baths as it might worsen the kidney infection.
- Do not wear synthetic undergarments or tight pants in order to lower the chance of getting kidney infection.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.