Table of Contents
Our kidneys play one of the essential parts of the bodies since they can help remove all harmful wastes and toxins that show up in our blood. Also, they work hard by filtering the blood so that it’s kept clean as always! Thus, we shouldn’t underestimate any infection related to our kidneys, and finding a medical treatment is the most effective way to go.
However, there are still some great home remedies for kidney infection you can try out. Before learning those prompt therapies to treat yourself alone, let’s see how serious kidney infection is to our health!
What is Kidney Infection?
Also known under medical term as pyelonephritis, it is the term used to describe the problem which is triggered by infection from bacteria. This germ tends to go all the way from the urinary tract, bladder, and urethra toward to kidneys. This problem can occur on either one or both of your kidneys. When it comes to (UTI), read more at Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection.
Worse than thought, kidney infection is just one of many types of infections surrounded by (UTI). Below are some common infections you’re likely to suffer:
- Bladder infection (acute cystitis)
- Prostatitis or prostate infection
- Catheter-associated UTI (CAUTI)
- Kidney infection
What Causes Kidney Infection?
As the germ starts to enter your kidneys, it will cause this infection. That bacteria comes from another part of our urinary tract, including your ureters and bladder.
Then does it damage your health or not? Yes, it does! The bad news about this health issue is that the infections affect your kidney at one time or both of them at the same time.
Therefore, it’s crucial to curing these problems as soon as possible. If not, these infections might lead to the everlasting kidney damage.
What are the common risk factors for kidney infection?
Women, especially who are pregnant are more prone to kidney infection rather than men. How come? This takes place due to the slower transit of their urine during their pregnancy. It’s caused by the pressure put by the expanded uterus.
Besides, women when entering the menopause, there will be some noticeable signs that can’t be ignored, such as the urinary incontinence, retention, vaginal dryness, or the pelvic organ prolapse. These physiological elements can add more possible risks to grow your kidney infections without your caution.
Having sex for women can be a bad thing since it might increase the risk of their urinary tract infection. That is due to the potential production of the germs around the urethra (a tube linking the urinary bladder to the meatus for urine removal from our bodies) into the urinary system. Such a condition is often mentioned as the honeymoon cystitis, which is more common in women in the 50s.
These catheters will be prevented by drinking plenty of fluids, which is also one of the natural home remedies for kidney infection we highly recommend. The risk factor occurs where you might not be able to urinate due to the neurogenic bladder, BPH (prostate enlargement), serious illness, urine incontinence, bladder dysfunction, or even prostate cancer.
These catheters produce a physical vehicle for the germ from outside to move directly into our bladders and the urinary system.
Kidney stones (hard deposits including salts and minerals that appear inside the kidneys) and other structural abnormalities possibly trigger kidney infection. It’s because of the weakened draining and blockage of your urine. It’s also the reason that makes the bacteria to go down to the kidney without getting washed down with your urine.
As you know, any blockage to your urine flow can cause the infection and might spread to other organs of your urinary tract.
In short, there are some other factors which can make you more at risk. They are the obstruction of the urinary tract, weakening of immune system due to HIV, diabetes, or side effects of some particular treatments, prolonged usage of the urinary catheter. Worse than this, it possibly spreads to the other body parts and causes a more severe infection.
Kidney infection has some common signs which are pain at the lower back or even at the side where the location of kidneys are, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, burning sensation when you are urinating, fever, frequent urge for the bathroom, change in the color of urine as well as pain at location above pubic bone.
If this condition is not attended timely, it will bring some serious consequences and even some permanent damage to your kidneys. To prevent that from happening, try out some complementary treatments at home.
These methods can be seen as the prompt treatments that can get rid of kidney infection and strengthen your excretory system. You’re recommended to use these remedies along with the prescribed treatment by your healthcare expert. Doing so will quickly ease some of these symptoms and boost the whole kidney health status.
28 Natural home remedies for kidney infection
Here are top 28 most effective home remedies for kidney infection which are easy for you to follow.
1. Increase Fluid Intake
The most recommended method and the top tip from the list of home remedies for kidney infection are increasing the intake of fluid. Doing so will enable you to improve the healing as it can remove the bacteria, toxic and waste products out of the kidneys, thus maintain the healthiness and cleanliness. Therefore, water is also one of the simplest Home Remedies for Stone in Kidney.
How to do:
- Consume about 8 – 10 glasses of water every day.
- Also you can consume 1 – 2 glasses of coconut or lemon water every day.
- Also consume juice from vegetables and fruits in order to supply the necessary minerals and vitamins for the combat against the infection.
Note: Do not consume alcoholic beverages and coffee until the infection is totally healed.
2. Hot Water Compress
This simple tip from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is excellent for soothing pain at the back, hips and even lower abdomen which are caused by infection of the kidney. It will help you relax the abdominal muscles as well as lower the pressure on the bladder. Even better, it is able to soothe inflammation.
How to do:
- Take a warm heating pad or hot water bottle and apply directly onto the hips, back and lower abdomen for couples of the minute.
- Perform again if needed.
3. Cranberry Juice
This ingredient from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is reported to be extremely effective at treating even infection of the urinary tract as well as help you avoid the recurrence of those conditions, especially women who are young and around middle-age.
This juice will increase the acidity of the urine, thus help you avoid the growth of bacteria on the bladder’s wall and significantly lower the risk of getting infected.
You just need to consume 1 unsweetened glass of cranberry juice every day. Avoid consuming huge amount in a long time as it might bring some side effects. It is said that consume over 1liter of cranberry juice every day will even increase the risk of having kidney stones as this fruit contains oxalate.
Containing probiotics as well as antioxidants, yogurt is considered the most valuable ingredient in the list of home remedies for kidney infection. The live bacteria contained in yogurt can prevent the bacterial adherence onto the epithelial cells at the urinary tract. Furthermore, it can even improve your immune system significantly. You can read more about yogurt in Home Remedies for Kidney Stones.
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 portions of plain yogurt which contains active and live cultures every day.
- Also, you can put in some fiber-rich fruits such as apples to create some tasty smoothies and consume 1 – 2 times every day.
5. Increase Vitamin C Intake
This vitamin is the most important nutrient from the list of home remedies for kidney infection as it can support your immune system in combating infection. It will increase the level of acid in the kidneys which will destroy the bacteria that trigger the development of infection.
How to use:
- Consume 1 – 2 grapefruits, oranges as well as other citrus fruits every day.
- Also consume more foods which are rich in vitamin C such as broccoli, potatoes, peppers, sprouts, tomatoes, strawberries and kiwi.
- Another way is takingthe supplement of vitamin C once per day at the breakfast but only after consulting the doctor.
Note: Avoid taking the supplement of vitamin C in high dose as it might be linked with kidney stones, especially for men.
You might also sê vitamin C among Home Remedies for Dysuria.
This herb is rather popular in the list of home remedies for kidney infection due to diuretic property which is able to improve urine flow, thus more effective at flushing out harmful products as well as toxins in your body.
Furthermore, this herb is capable of combating unfriendly organisms. Additionally, the antioxidant property can even help the cells at the urinary tract avoid free radical damage.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of this herb’s dried roots into some hot water.
- Have it steeped for about 10 minutes, then strained.
- Consume 2 – 4 cups every day.
Note: Women who are nursing or pregnant as well as people who are having diabetes are not recommended to apply this tip.
Read also: Top Superfoods for A Healthy Kidney
7. Parsley Juice
It is considered the most effective cleanser in the list of home remedies for kidney infection which is capable of promoting the flow of urine. That is why it is used to remove microorganisms as well as harmful toxins at the kidneys.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of either dried parsley or freshly crushed parsley into some boiling water. Have it steeped for about 5 minutes and then allow it to cool down and have it strained. Consume twice every day for several weeks.
- Also, you can take ¼ cup of parsley juice with some water, lemon juice and honey to mix together. Consume twice every day for about 2 weeks.
Note: Because parsley can interact with some particular medications; therefore, it is suggest that you consult the doctor before applying this tip.
8. Olive Oil
One of top kidney infection remedies is olive oil which is famous for its smell and balanced acidity.
With this oil, you can improve the elimination of toxins in a variety of body parts, from the liver to kidneys or even gallbladder.
If you want to maximize the benefits in the treatment for the kidney infection, try a mixture of olive oil with lemon juice.
In order to have the mixture to consume every day, you should prepare olive oil (about one tablespoon), fresh lemon juice (a few drops) and lastly, water (about 8 ounces).
Check this out Top 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Olive Oil
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
The antibacterial property from the malic acid contained in apple cider vinegar is the reason why it is included in the list of home remedies for kidney infection. It is because apple cider vinegar is able to balance the levels of pH in the body as well as inhibit the spreading of infection.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of organic vinegar with 2 teaspoons of honey into some warm water.
- Consume twice per day for few weeks.
The powerful antibiotic property from garlic is so effective that it must be included in the list of home remedies for kidney infection. Furthermore, it can work as a diuretic which is able to assist kidneys in flushing out microorganisms and harmful toxins in the body.
How to use:
- Consume 3 cloves of raw garlic every day while your stomach is still empty.
- Also, you might take the supplement of garlic in the form of the capsule but only after consulting the doctor.
Abundance of fiber as well as containing anti-inflammatory property, this fruit is capable of maintaining the acidic nature which will prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Consume this fruit regularly will help you avoid problems relating to kidneys effectively.
Obviously, you know that health benefits of apple are not limited to kidney infection home treatment only. Check Health Benefits Of Apples for more information.
How to use:
- Consume 1 organic apple per day.
- Also, you might take some apple juice or applesauce.
12. Herbal Tea
This is one of the simplest yet so effective tips in the list of home remedies for kidney infection which you might apply anytime and anywhere you can.
Herbal like marshmallow tea, chamomile tea, goldenrod tea and parsley tea are all beneficial for the treatment of kidney infection as well as other problems relating to kidneys. You just need to have some of those teas for about twice per day.
13. Aloe Vera
This fruit is great at supporting the removal of toxins in the body with it excellent cleansing mechanism. You just need to consume the juice of Aloe Vera for twice per day in order to obtain the positive results.
14. Baking Soda
This ingredient from the list of home remedies for kidney infection is extremely efficient at improving the balance of bicarbonate levels at the kidneys. Therefore, you just need to take a tablespoon of baking soda to dissolve in some water and consume every day in order to improve your kidney condition. Do not skip other Health Benefits of Baking Soda.
Echinacea is a traditional herbal kidney infection remedy. For many years, people have made use of this herb to cope with infections in numerous parts, such as bladder or bloodstream.
Possessing powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities, this herb frees you from urethra swelling. As a result, you can stay away from painful feeling when urinating.
Brewed echinacea is a great solution in kidney infection home treatment, but you can use its capsule as well.
Considered an incredible detoxifier and diuretic, it is capable of removing even stones in the kidneys as well as strengthening the kidneys. The pain-killing property from basil can help you alleviate the pain at kidneys and lower the levels of uric acid in your blood.f
17. Celery Seed Tea
Also called Apium Graveolens, this seed is the last tip in the list of home remedies for kidney infection which is capable of improving the eliminating process of waste material in the kidneys.
Furthermore, it can even increase the output of urination, thus better-alleviating kidney pain. The antibacterial and antifungal properties from volatile oil contained in celery seeds can combat the bacteria as well as other organisms which trigger infections or other problems relating to kidneys.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of celery seeds to the ground and put in some hot water.
- Mix it well and allow it to cool down.
- Have it strained and consume once per day for about 3 days/week.
- Also, women who are pregnant should not consume this tea as it is a uterine stimulant.
18. Corn Silk
Do you find corn silk annoying and useless? Do you remove them every time I enjoy a corn? Now it is time for you to learn a new application of this corn part.
Corn silk has been serving as a diuretic for more than two centuries. And it is so effective and simple that it deserves a better spot in the list of top natural home remedies for kidney infections. You can take advantage of it to promote urinary tract and expel toxins as well as bacteria from your body.
You can steep corn silk with water for several minutes and consume the liquid only.
19. Watermelon Seeds
After corn silk, you must be surprised at the next kidney infection remedy – watermelon seeds. In fact, health benefits of watermelon have been analysed carefully. However, its tiny seed has enormous effects on the process of flushing your kidney bladder. It may save you from pain caused by kidney infections instantly.
- You will need hot water
- Steep them for several minutes.
- Wait until the mixture becomes cool and strain it.
- Finally, you can drink it every day.
Cabbage is well-known as not only a popular vegetable but also a healing medicine for decades. Commonly, it is often used to cope with fluid-related problems: scurvy or gout, to name a few. Another amazing application of cabbage is to save those suffering from kidney issues from painful feeling. Therefore, it is one of the best natural home remedies for kidney infections.
- Prepare some small onion slices.
- Cabbage leaves, water, and onion should be placed into a pan.
- They should be boiled for 20 minutes.
- With the help of a gauze, apply the mixture over painful areas and keep it there for 2-3 hours.
21. Tartar Cream
Tartar cream can work as antibiotics for the kidney infection. This is a little-known fact but based on science. Tartar cream has wonderful impacts on the urine’s level of pH. As a result, bacteria can seldom have an opportunity to develop.
The addition of lemon juice will maximize the tartar cream’s power by eliminating bacteria. You can escape from inflammation and pain caused by kidney infection symptoms instantly.
How to use:
- Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon or your lime juice for the Vitamin C intake
- Take one ½ teaspoon of Tartar cream
- Mix with one full glass of warm water and then drink it about twice a day.
22. Sage and peppermint
You probably don’t know that sage is holding some volatile oils which are made up of different therapeutic properties. They’re mainly the antiseptic and relieving effects so that they can cleanse our kidneys off other toxins and harmful impurities.
Sage’s antiseptic characteristic here is trusted to treat any intestinal infection. Meanwhile, its anti-inflammatory compound contained in the rosmarinic acid will guard your kidney against pain. For this reason, making a mixture of sage and peppermint is one of the easiest yet most effective home remedies for kidney infection you can try instead of using medical treatment.
How to do:
- Prepare one teaspoon of sage, peppermint leaves, hot water and a pan
- Add both sage and peppermint to a container
- Pour hot water in it, cover it, and leave it there several minutes until the water is cooled down
- Strain the tea mixture before drinking it
- Repeat the routine twice or three times every day within three months
Nettle leaves serve as another effective therapy for our today’s home remedies for the kidney infection. It’s a diuretic agent that can be availed to grow the urine production and the UTIs. The patients can use nettle tea to cure the kidney infection and relieve the joint hurts caused by a large amount of uric acid found in the blood of the kidney.
How to do:
- Add the nettle leaves to your teapot before pouring the hot water into it
- Cover it with a lid and then allow it to steep within 15 minutes.
- Strain your tea later and then drink it
- Repeat the routine twice a day to relieve your pain
24. Uva Ursi
This herbal remedy has been used to treat your urinary issues, consisting of your bladder and kidney infections. Better than thought, it acts as a diuretic agent that can kill the bacteria found in your guts. These are known as the cause of your infections. To make it the most useful solution to treat kidney infection at home, try this recipe:
How to do:
- Prepare one teaspoon of uva ursi leaves and two cups of water
- Add some leaves and water in a pan
- Simmer it for 30 minutes until you see the water reduced half, and then you can turn off the heat
- Strain the tea before drinking it up
- Repeat the routine twice a day.
Note: Pregnant women shouldn’t drink the uva ursi herbal tea.
25. Willow Bark
Willow bark has been used in both Europe and China for a long time for treating the pain thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It’s seen as one of the best home remedies for kidney infection and irritation you need to use at home.
How to do:
- Take 1 – 2 teaspoons of dried willow bark
- Prepare 8oz of water
- Add willow bark to water and place it on the stove
- Allow it to simmer for 15 minutes
- Next, let it steep for 45 minutes, and then you can strain it
- Drink one cup and repeat the routine about 3 – 4 times a day
A mustard condiment is believed to stimulate the entire recovery process. However, Be careful when you intend to use the pure mustard plaster directly on your bare skin. It probably leads to some blisters and a burning sensation. Instead, you can use it like other seasonings for your kidney-friendly diet. Prepare one teaspoon of mustard that might contain 25 – 65 mg sodium to make your food more flavorful.
Also known as the ideal home remedies for kidney infection, tomatoes are owning plenty of amazing properties to relieve your pain. They help cleanse every kidney stone quite effectively, so don’t hesitate to use them as the fruit juice or plaster to fix the issue.
How to do:
- You’ll need one or two tomatoes, a cup of water.
- Squeeze tomatoes juice out with your blender
- Add the juice to water and drink it
- Repeat the steps once a day
28. Pomegranate and lemon
Pomegranate is quite helpful for curing your kidney issues thanks to its astringent characteristics that might be helpful for curing the health issue. Besides, it’s likely to treat the pain and kidney inflammation as well as hydrate your body quite effectively.
You’re recommended to consume a pomegranate once a day or simply drink it as a fruit juice. To use it best, it’s fine to mix lemon juice with that of pomegranate for your home application.
How to do:
- Slice the pomegranate into two different pieces
- Take all the fruit seeds out and put them in a bowl
- Put them in a food processor to grind them all. It’s not recommended to grinding them for a long time because the juice can get bitter.
- Filter it to get the fresh juice
- Pour the pomegranate juice and lemon juice into water and stir the mixture well
- Drink it once a day to cure the illness.
Besides knowing well kidney infection treatment, you had better equip yourself with a basic understanding of the prevention. In doing so, you can save a ton of money, energy and time from these kidney infection remedies. There are some basic rules you should follow in order to lead a healthy life.
- Maintain good personal hygiene in order to prevent bacteria from invading your body.
- After having intercourse, it is recommended to urinate and cleanse properly in order to prevent the spreading of bacteria. This is a top suggestion, not only to prevent kidney infection symptoms in women but also to protect them from many sexual issues.
- Have your bladder empty whenever there is an urge and you should never delay.
- Keep out of foods which are rich in potassium and phosphorus.
- Quit smoking because it will deteriorate kidney functions.
- Lose excessive weight as obesity will increase the chance of having kidney stones.
- Use extra-virgin or virgin olive oil in your cooking in order to avoid problems relating to kidneys. They have many wonderful health benefits.
- Keep out of bubble baths as it might worsen the kidney infection.
- Do not wear synthetic undergarments or tight pants in order to lower the chance of getting kidney infection.
Wrapping up, our above-recommended home remedies for kidney infection would support you remarkably. And be patient and try to follow these natural treatments constantly for one or two months at least to see the positive results. Last but not least, we hope that these remedies somehow relieve your pain and make you feel better. Be sure to ask for a medical help whenever you’re sensitive or allergic to any of these treatments.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!