Table of Contents
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is widely known as a group of different symptoms occurring at the same time, including discomfort or pain in the abdomen and some changes in the bowel movement patterns. IBS is called as a functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder   by many doctors and the GI disorders happen as your GI tract operates in an unusual and abnormal way without noticing any evidence of damage coming from diseases.
Doctors usually categorize IBS into the four main types depending on your stool consistency. These four types are considered important as they can influence ways of the treatment which then can significantly improve the symptoms.
Here are the three types of IBS:
What causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
In fact, there still remains no exact cause of IBS; however, the feelings of nervousness, frustration, or anger can partly take responsibility for it. Also, consuming much coffee and raw fruits as well as some vegetables that are cruciferous or dairy products can make this problem more severe.
Who is at Risk of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Even doctors cannot tell you what exactly causes IBS; however, some of the following factors happen to make you more likely to contract the disease than the others. They include:
- You are a woman: According to a recent study, women are more prone to IBS than men. Although there remains unclear evidence, health experst believe that the change of hormones in women’s menstrual cycyle can be releavant to IBS symptoms.
- Age: In fact, IBS affects people at every age, but, it seems that people from their teens to 40 ages old can be more prone to IBS.
- Family history: This issue is able to ruin in your family. Some of the researches have shown that genes play an important role.
- Emotional issue: Peole who suffer from IBS commonly feel stressed. It remains controversial what can come first, the IBS or the stress. But stress relief as well as behavioral therapy helps effectively with the reduction of IBS symptoms.
What are the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
According to a recent study, the IBS symptoms commonly include:
- Abdominal cramping or pain bloating
- Mucus in the stool
A recent statistic has reported that one in five Americans can have a chance of experiencing IBS. IBS is considered as one of the popularly diagnosed disorders. Women can possess higher risk of IBS than men do and the problem starts very often around the age of 20.
How to deal with Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
As IBS treatments remain unsure, people who suffer from IBS have no choice to live with it while still develop their own ways of living. Fortunately, some significant changes in the regular diets combining with strategies of stress reduction can provide a good source of relief.
Following are top 15 home remedies for IBS that should be taken into consideration. They have shown to be the safest, most natural and effective. Also, natural remedies for IBS are well – explained in greater details to help you easily follow.
1. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are among workable IBS home remedies since it can reduce the intestinal spasms as well as bloating, the two common symptoms of IBS. This kind of seed also plays such an essential role in relieving fast from your digestive systems and thereby preventing the formation of mucus in your intestine that is believed to partly cause IBS.
How to apply:
- Mix one tablespoon of crushed fennel seeds with one glass of boiled water
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then enjoy the tea
- Drink the herbal tea up to thrice on a daily basis until the symptoms are entirely gone
Another natural IBS treatment is adding a half teaspoon of roasted fennel seeds powder to a cup of warm water and consuming it two times regularly.
Ginger affords itself huge health benefits, consisting IBS treatment because it helps with gas removal and bloating reduction and subsequently being strongly recommended for treating IBS. In addition, ginger is beneficial for eliminating inflammation in your intestines and allowing the intestinal muscles to relax. That is the reason why this fresh ingredient should not be ignored in the list of top natural home remedies for IBS.
How to apply:
- Place on half teaspoon of raw grated ginger in one glass of hot water
- Steep it for around 15 minutes and strain out the ginger
- Mix it with a little amount of honey and enjoy the tea
- Consume the tea up to thrice per day to ease the symptom of abdominal pain
Cabbage, especially its juice is another wonderful IBS natural remedy. Cabbage juice can work wonder as one of the effective treatments for those who are experiencing constipation in the initial stage of condition. Thanks to chlorine and sulfur , the juice can help clear the mucus membranes inside the stomach and intestinal tract. Furthermore, the effect of mild laxative present   in cabbage juice makes it possible to softer the bowel movements and keeps your body staying hydrated.
How to apply:
- Prepare a cabbage and then wash it before cutting it into smaller slices
- Place those slices in a juicer to create raw cabbage juice
- Consume a half glass of this juice at a time and four times during the day
Note: It is important to drink the juice when you have the symptom of constipation.
If you are seeking simple home remedies for IBS, let’s go for fibre. Soluble fibre absorbs the liquid found in the intestines and aids in fighting off diarrhea. Good sources of fibre – rich foods include oatmeal, beans and fruits such as strawberries, grapefruits and apples.
In case that you are not likely to take in enough soluble fibre in your diets, the intake of regular supplement of psyllium   is highly suggested. Psyllium is not the same as chemical laxatives; therefore, it is considered safe to be the long – term solution. If you do not have much fibre in your diets, you can increase it gradually. In fact, consuming too much fibre at the same time can offer you severe bloating and gas. The moderate amount of fibre is 8 g daily which can be found in two pears and will increase gradually to 4 g per day until you can reach to 30 g per day.
One more thing you should remember is to try to drink at least 8 glasses of water on a daily basis to stimulate fibre to smoothly move in your system.
Thanks to packing with “live cultures”, yogurt becomes one of the most prevalent home remedies for IBS, which is associated with diarrhea. Those cultures are completely friendly bacteria creating protective layer in the intestines and then supporting the lactic acid regulation to eradicate bacterial toxins from the body.
How to apply:
- Eat directly yogurt or make smoothie
- Repeat the treatment a few times per day until you can get better improvements
- Add a half teaspoon of psyllium to a cup of yogurt
- Consume it 1 hour after the lunch and dinner
- Do the remedy on a daily basis until you notice some significant improvements
Chamomile is loaded with the antispasmodic property and rich in the amount of tannins which can excellently provide a great source of relief of IBS symptoms, including diarrhea. This kind of flower also aids in treating both the inflammation in the intestines and abdominal spasms. There would be a mistake if you do not mention chamomile as one of the ibs home treatments.
How to apply:
- Add three teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in one glass of boiled water
- Wait for 15 minutes to allow it steep
- Strain it out and add a little amount of lemon juice
- Consume the herbal tea thrice a day
If you are a chamomile lover, don’t forget to read Top 10 Health Benefits of Chamomile.
Another IBS natural cures that can work wonder is bananas. Under a printed study, fresh and ripe bananas are really nutritious that help with IBS symptoms relief. To treat diarrhea, you can also take in bananas since its soluble fibre present in bananas help soak up the liquid in the intestines. Additionally, the potassium  found in this nutritious food is potential for curing bloating and gas. Now, the question on how to treat IBS naturally is no longer to tell.
How to apply:
- Consume from one to two ripe bananas regularly to keep your digestive system stronger and healthier
- As you have diarrhea, mix a mashed banana with one teaspoon of tamarind pulp and salt
- Eat the mixture two times per day until the diarrhea is completely treated
Consuming bananas per day has incredible impacts on your common health. Check this out!
Carrot is an helpful tip on how to treat IBS at home. As you might not know about, carrots are well – known for its great level of pectin , an essential substance that is used for combating with IBS symptoms and curing constipation as well as diarrhea. You can perform these following steps.
How to apply:
- Prepare some fresh carrots to extract their juice
- Mix the juice with several drops of lemon juice and a little amount of honey
- Consume the mixture a few times daily
- Blend cooked carrots in a blender with water to create puree
- Mix this with a little amount of salt
- Eat a half cup of the mixture a few times daily
Note: You should strive to ward off raw carrots if they can lead to stomach pain.
9. Regular Exercises
Exercsies are benefial for anyone who are having symptoms of IBS. If you have time, a thirty – minute non-competitive exercise per day such as walking is badly needed to deal with the condition of IBS. In fact, exercises help relieve stress, the major cause of IBS, reduce naturally pain endorphins and keep your digestive system working effectively.
10. Manage Stress
As earlier – mentioned before, stress is one of the popular contributing factors to IBS. Hence, reducing stress is among impressive home remedies for IBS. To manage stress, you should start to practice yoga, meditation or simple breathing exercises.
How to apply:
- Sit or lie down comfortably
- Pay the attention to help the air go in and go out of your body
- Concentrate completely on your breathing when you are invaded by upsetting or anxiety thoughts
- Practice the exercise daily
- Try to calm yourself whenever you get tenses and anxious
Let’s opt for another home remedies for stress if you do not enjoy meditation or yoga.
11. Dairy Products
Some IBS patients might also suffer from lactose intolerant. That means they cannot consume lactose, the sugar which is found in dairy products or milk. In oder to treat the issue, lactase enzyme is always avaiblle under the tablet form and in several food products to alleviate its symptoms. You should opt for food products with low fat and skim milk instead of choosing whole milk ones containing fat than can be an irritant.
12. Pepper Mint
Pepper mint is among top excellent home remedies for IBS because it can ease the symptoms of IBS, including bloating, cramping, diarrhea. Also, antispasmodics, fibre and peppermint oil are beneficial for how to control IBS at home.
In addition, the mint is loaded with menthol oil that contains antispasmodic agents that can remove gas pain, bloating and intestinal spasms. It also makes food go through the stomach in an easy way.
How to apply:
- Insert 3 drops of the oil into a cup of water
- Consume the solution four times per day
- Repeat the same process until your condition gets improved
- Mix a teaspoon of peppermint with a glass of boiled water
- Allow it to steep in 10 minutes
- Consume the tea thrice per day
Also, pepper mint is another potential home remedy for burping.
13. Oat Bran
Learning how to cure IBS will help you deal with its symptoms well. Oat bran is well-known for IBS home treatment. Consuming this ingredient daily can provide your body with needed fibre and easily ease the symptoms of IBS. As you digest oat bran, the stools will get soft and then passed down easily and painlessly. Besides, it is loaded with protein, calcium, iron, antioxidants, phosphorus, thiamin and zinc.
How to apply:
- Include oat bran (about one teaspoon) in your daily breakfast
- Mix it with two cups of water and have it cooked in some minutes
- Consume it
Or, you can opt for adding a teapsoon of the oat bran to a smoothies, salad or yogurt.
14. Drink Plenty of Liquids
Liquids or fruids is another natural way to treat IBS. You had better try to consume plenty of liquids on a daily basis, in which water, is the best. Try not to sip beverages or alcohol beccause both of them are loaded with caffeine that can encourage the intestines and even make your condition of diarrhea worse.
15. Eat At Frequent Times
You should not skip meals. Rather than, eating can aid in regulating the function of bowel. In case you have diarrhea, it is better to eat smaill and regular meals that will even make you better. If you have constipation, consuming foods that are rich source of fibre will move the food through the intestines.
Foods To Avoid
In oder not to increase your trips to the bathroom, here are some certain types of foods that you should keep far away from:
- Foods that have in soluble fiber:
- Grains (oatmeal and barley)
- Root vegetables, like parsnips
- Fruits berries, oranges, grapefruit and mangos
- Legumes (peas)
- Fried Food
- Caffeinated Drink
- Processed Food
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!