Table of Contents
What are Hives?
Also known under the term “urticaria”, it is the instantaneous outbreak of plagues or welts or bumps which are pale red and swollen on your skin.
What cause Hives?
Hives are often triggered as the allergic reaction to substances which you might have swallowed or encountered. As the allergic reaction, the body will release histamine which is a protein that causes redness, swelling, itching as well as some other symptoms.
Some common factors which can cause hives are some certain foods such as milk, eggs, tomatoes, fresh berries, chocolate, nuts and fish. Chemical pollen, latex, animal dander, food additives, medications, infections and insect stings or bites can also be the triggers of hives as well.
Sometimes, hives can happen when you are overheated outdoor. Or even exposure to icy cold water as well as stress can make hives happen as well. Occasionally, there are cases of hives which have unknown cause.
The size and shape of hives can be varied; however, they usually possess sharp edges and itchiness. They might appear almost immediately after you come in contact with the trigger, but they also might take more than 2 hours to be visible.
Even though, they are uncomfortable, they are actually harmless and can disappear on themselves after couples of hour or day.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for hives which are easy for you to apply in order to get rid of hives as well as quickly restore your skin.
1. Cold Compress
This method is considered the best from the list of home remedies for hives as it can help shrink blood vessels and stop further production of histamine. Therefore, it will be able to soothe itchiness, inflammation and swelling.
How to do:
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them using a cloth. Apply onto the affected are for about 10 minutes. Perform 3 to 4 times per day.
- Also you might take cool shower or bath to ease inflammation from hives.
Note: Avoid apply directly ice onto skin.
2. Baking Soda
Another extremely popular kitchen ingredient which is included in the list of home remedies for hives is baking soda. Its well-known anti-inflammatory property can significantly ease itchiness and inflammation.
How to use:
- Take ½ cup o f baking soda into a warm bath. Dissolve and have your body soaked for at least 20 minutes.
- Also you can take 2 tablespoons of baking soda with some water to form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected skin. Keep it on for about 10 minutes then cleanse using warm water.
- Perform either of those methods every day.
If you want to know more about the benefits and applications of baking soda, please take a look here: Home Remedies for Diaper Rash.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be incomplete without apple cider vinegar in the list of home remedies for hives. The antihistamine property from apple cider vinegar can soothe inflammation as well as control the response of the immune system. Furthermore, it can enhance the health of your skin.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of vinegar into a warm bath and soak your body for about 15 minutes every day.
- Also you can take some vinegar and some water in equal amount to mix and use that solution to cleanse the affected area. Perform 2 -3 times per day.
- Another way is taking 1 to 2 teaspoons of into some water. Put in some honey and lemon juice and then consume 3 times every day.
Apple cider vinegar is highly regarded in the treatment of skin problems such as syringomas. If you want to know more about the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar, please take a look here: How To Get Rid Of Syringomas.
Its soothing, anti-inflammatory and anti-irritating properties are the reason why oatmeal appears in the list of home remedies for hives as it can bring you great relief from itchiness as well as improve your healing.
How to use:
- Take a cup of baking soda with 2 cups of oatmeal into a warm bath. Stir the mixture up and soak your body for about 15 minutes. Perform twice every day until there are positive changes.
- Another way is taking 2 cups of oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and some water to create a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area for about 15 minutes. Then cleanse off using warm water. Perform once every day.
For more information about the benefits and applications of oatmeal against problems and conditions related to skin. please take a look here: Home Remedies for Psoriasis.
Containing powerful antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can regulate enzymes and genes which cause inflammation, thus encourage the circulation for the skin, decrease swelling and ease the itchiness. It is the reason why this “wonderful” ginger can never be excluded from the list of home remedies for hives.
How to use:
- Take ¼ cup of brown sugar with a tablespoon of fresh ginger into some vinegar and have them boiled for couples of minute. Add in some warm water and apply this mixture onto the affected area for couples of time per day.
- Another way is peeling off skin of a piece of fresh ginger and using it to rub directly onto the affected area. Perform 2 to 3 times every day. You might put the ginger into the fridge for some extra chilling effect.
- Also you can consume ginger tea as well as chew some fresh pieces of ginger for couples of time every day.
6. Aloe Vera
Another excellent ingredient which you definitely need to pay attention in the list of home remedies for hives is Aloe Vera. The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties from Aloe Vera can significantly alleviate itchiness, inflammation and redness. Furthermore, if consumed internally, it will enhance immunity and get rid of inflammatory toxins.
How to use:
- Take some fresh gel to apply directly onto the affected area. After 15 minutes, cleanse off using warm water. Perform couples of time per day.
- Also you can consume 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera juice every day in order to enhance immunity. However, women who are breastfeeding and pregnant as well as children must avoid this tip.
The anti-inflammatory property from turmeric is extremely useful as it is able to stimulate the natural anti-inflammatory of the body which is corticosteroids. Moreover, it also contains antioxidant and antihistamine properties which make it the perfect choice in the list of home remedies for hives.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder into some hot water or milk. Consume twice every day.
- Also you can include turmeric in your daily cooking as well as take turmeric in supplementary form after consulting the doctor.
Note: In case you are having prescription medication for blood thinners, you must avoid applying this tip.
Recommended by herbalists as one of the best natural herb in the list of home remedies for hives, it also contains astringent and anti-inflammatory properties which alleviate itchiness, inflammation and swelling effectively.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of dried nettle leaves into some hot water. After steeping for about 10 minutes, have it strained and put in some honey. Consume 2 to 3 times per day.
- Another way is taking nettle in supplementary form of capsule with the dosage of 5 300-milligrams capsules every day but only after consulting the doctor.
This herb is extremely popular in the kitchen, but it is also the same case as in the list of home remedies for hives. With strong antihistamine property, it can help you control inflammation and itchiness rather well.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of dried leaves with some hot water into a jar. Cover and let it cool down. Use the mixture to apply directly onto the affected area with a piece of cotton cloth.
- Take some fresh leaves and crush them using your hands. Apply the crushed leaves directly onto the affected skin. Let it dry out and then cleanse off using warm water.
With strong cooling effect, mint is considered top choice in the list of home remedies for hives. Also containing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it can remarkably alleviate the burning sensation as well as itchiness effectively.
How to use:
- Take 2 teaspoons of crushed leaves into some boiling water and steep for about 5 minutes. After straining, place the liquid inside the fridge to obtain some cooling effect. Use the cool solution for cleansing the affected skin couples of time per day.
- Take a teaspoon of crushed leaves with 2 teaspoons of sugar into some boiling water for about 5 minutes. Then have it strained and let it cool down. Consume 1 to 2 times every day.
For the treatment of hives, licorice can be significantly helpful due to its anti-inflammatory property which can alleviate itchiness and swelling efficiently. Moreover, the immune-stimulant property from licorice will support your body in combating the reaction promptly.
How to use:
- Take 2 teaspoons of powder into some hot water and steep for about 10 minutes. After straining, put in some honey and consume 1 to 2 times per day.
- Also you can take licorice in supplementary form after consulting the doctor.
- Or you can opt for some lotion or OTC gel which includes the extract of licorice. Use them to apply onto the affected area for couples of time every day.
Note: In case you are having edema, high blood pressure or taking diuretic, you need to avoid applying this tip.
Due to the containment of antiseptic and astringent properties, alum can effectively ease swelling and pain. Moreover, it can even fight back infection. Therefore, it is qualified to be in the list of home remedies for hives.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of alum powder into some warm water and dissolve. Cleanse the affected skin 2 to 3 times per day using that solution.
- Also you can apply directly some alum powder onto the affected skin. After about 5 minutes, cleanse off using warm water. Perform once every day.
13. Green Tea
This is considered the simplest tip from the list of home remedies for hives, yet it can bring you instant relief from the symptoms of hives. With the catechin extract, it can effectively ease the irritation from hives. You just need to consume green tea for 2 to 3 times per day. Consider adding honey for better taste. Perform every day.
14. Red Alder Bark
The soothing effect from this herb is considerably powerful for it to be included in the list of home remedies for hives. You can use the extract of the bark to apply onto the affected skin. Also you might take some leaves and bark into some hot water and steep for 10 minutes. Then consume the tea every day. Another way you can make use of it is applying decoction onto the affected area.
15. Chamomile Tea
The position of the last tip in the list of home remedies for hives belongs to chamomile. As stress is one of the triggers of hives, it is recommended that you need to consume some chamomile tea due to its strong soothing effect. You just need to take some leaves to brew for about 10 minutes. Then put in either honey or sugar for improving taste. Consume 3 to 5 cups per day for stress relief.
- Keep a daily journal in order to track down your hives’ triggers which can help you prevent future attacks.
- Put on smooth-texture and loose cotton clothes to avoid irritation for the skin.
- Manage stress as it might worsen your condition.
- Consume more vitamin C in your daily diet.
- Keep out hot shower or bath during the outbreak.
- Keep out of direct sunlight as best as you can.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!