Table of Contents
What are Hiatal Hernias?
Hiatal hernia is the term used to describe the condition which the stomach has a small part that penetrates the chest cavity through the diaphragm.
What causes Hiatal Hernias?
This condition is more likely to happen at people who are over 50 years old and somehow have obesity. However, the precise cause is still unidentified but it is more likely due to the weakening of supportive tissues.
There are also other factors such as increase in pressure on your stomach as well as the muscles around it, changes related to ages which affect diaphragm, or even having abnormal large hiatus which is the diaphragm’s opening.
Additionally, poor sitting posture, obesity, stress with excessive smoking and usually lifting heavy or large objects can also make you more vulnerable to this condition.
If the hiatal hernia is small, it might not show any signs. However, if it is large, you might incur symptoms such as heartburn, trouble with swallowing, chest pain, frequent belching with fatigue and full feeling after meals.
Only few cases of hiatal hernias require surgery. Other than that, it can be improved by changing in dietary and lifestyle as well as applying of some natural remedies.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for hiatal hernias which are easy for you to apply at home in order to help you get rid of the hiatal hernia as well as improve your digestive system.
1. Warm Water Fix
The first and also simplest tip from the list of home remedies for hiatal hernias is having some warm water together with few exercises.
How to use:
- Right after waking up, the first thing you need to do is getting yourself a glass of water in room temperature. It can relax your stomach and its muscles as well as diaphragm and also adding some weight to your stomach.
- After that, you need to stand up with your arms lifted straight out of the sides while the elbows are bended to touch the chest. This exercise will make the diaphragm stretched as well as the hiatus opened.
- Then, you need to raise your toes the highest you can possibly and fall down by the heels quickly. Perform couples of time continuously. This exercise will assist the water in pulling the stomach down.
- Lastly, with your arms up and you are standing, breath few times quickly and short with open mouth for at least 15 seconds. This kind of panting will make the diaphragm tighten up and the opening close.
Note: Keep out of tea, coffee, cold water or juice for the morning.
2. Strengthening Exercises
In the list of home remedies for hiatal hernias, exercise is considered the second most essential tip as it will help you control the condition extremely well. If you practice regularly, the chance which you might get hiatal hernia can be reduced significantly.
How to do:
- You need to lie down on the back flatly while bending the knees in order to make the feet also flat on the ground.
- Raise the buttocks and lower back high up while keeping feet and shoulders on the ground. Keep the position for couples of second.
- Gently go back to the original position.
- Perform the cycle for at least 10 times per day.
One important technique which must be listed in the home remedies for hiatal hernias is yoga. Some poses such as Chair Pose can improve the strength of diaphragm as well as muscles of your stomach.
How to do:
- You need to stand with straight back and perpendicular arms toward the ground while having feet spread apart at hip’s width.
- Have your arms raised above head straightly.
- Have your body bended forward at 45-degree angle and bring chest closer to thighs. Have your arms straight out and aligned with back with palms facing the ground.
- Have your knees bended gently in the position similar to sit on a chair.
- Press the weight toward the ground while looking forward. Keep the position for couples of second while breathing deep for few times.
- Have the shoulder blades pressed against your back while lowering the tailbone closer to the ground and make your abdomen draw in. Keep the position for about 30 seconds and concentrate on breathing.
- Then slowly straighten up.
- Perform this cycle for couples of time.
Note: It is not recommended to use poses such as Bridge, Bow and Cobra Pose which apply pressure on your abdomen.
Yoga not only benefits your digestive system but also make your whole body as well as mind healthier and stronger. If your would like to know more benefits of yoga to your life, please read: How to Tone Your Hips and Thighs and Home Remedies for Palpitations.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first kitchen ingredient which is presented in the list of home remedies of hiatal hernias is none other than apple cider vinegar. Even though it is acidic, apple cider vinegar can actually alkalize your body which can alleviate heartburn as well as acidity in the body.
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 teaspoons of vinegar into some warm water.
- Consume slowly before each meal.
- Perform whenever the symptoms flare up.
In case you are having food poisoning, apple cider vinegar can be your perfect cure. For more information about how to apply, please read here: Home Remedies for Food Poisoning.
Another popular spice which also makes the list of home remedies for hiatal hernias that you can easily use is cinnamon. Bloating as well as abdominal pain can be relieved well with cinnamon. Moreover, cinnamon is even considered a natural antacid.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder into some hot water and steep for couples of minute.
- Consume warmly for 2 to 3 times per day.
- Also add cinnamon into your daily cooking.
Having cinnamon regularly can help you treat and avoid many digestive problems such as gerd. For more information about benefits and applications of cinnamon for your digestion, please read: Home Remedies for Gerd.
The strong anti-inflammatory property is what makes chamomile deserve a place in the list of home remedies for hiatal hernias. It can effectively alleviate stomach ache, heartburn as well as relieve the muscles of digestive tract.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of dried chamomile into some hot water and steep for about 5 minutes.
- After straining, put in some honey depended on taste.
- Consume slowly for 4 times per day between meals.
7. Baking Soda
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda into some water.
- Consume at once.
- Perform again if needed but do not excessively apply.
Note: In case you have high blood pressure, do not apply this tip.
8. Aloe Vera
In the natural treatment of hiatal hernias, Aloe Vera can provide significant assistance in soothing the intestines’ inner lining as well as reducing pain in your abdomen. Furthermore, inflammation and heartburn can be controlled effectively by this ingredient.
You can consume ½ cup of juice from Aloe Vera 20 minutes prior to each meal.
Note: It is recommended to use the maximum of 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel to prepare the juice. More than that, you might suffer diarrhea.
9. Slippery Elm
There is one herb which is rising in popularity lately and especially efficiently in treating symptoms of hiatal hernia that is slippery elm. Heartburn and acidity In stomach can be regulated by the anti-inflammatory property of slippery elm.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of powder bark into some hot water.
- After steeping for 10 minutes, consume twice per day after each meal.
10. Change Your Diet
Diet is extremely important in the treatment of hiatal hernias. You need to pay attention in 2 points. Firstly, keep out of foods that might trigger and worsen the condition. Secondly, lose the excessive weight in order to lift the pressure off the stomach.
How to do:
- Keep out of foods such as caffeine, chocolate, garlic, onion, fried and spicy foods, foods which has tomato base and citrus fruits.
- Apply the diet which includes more vegetables and fruits. It is recommended to have more lean meats but keep out of spicy seasoning.
- Consume healthy fats like nuts and olive oil to keep the diet balance.
- Consume more whole-grain foods.
11. Gentian Tea
From the list of home remedies for hiatal hernias, there is a herbal tip which has been passed down for ages that is gentian tea. You can take a teaspoon of gentian into some hot water for about 30 minutes. Put in some cayenne and ginger. Consume 1 ½ hours prior to meals.
12. Calendula Tea
Another viable tea tip in the list of home remedies for hiatal hernias which you can consider apply together for better effect is calendula tea. You can use tea bags and consume daily in order to ease the inflammation of tissues.
It is would be a big mistake to leave fenugreek out of the home remedies for hiatal hernias. Digestive pain can be relieved effectively by this herb. The mucilage from fenugreek can help you bring down irritation and inflammation significantly well.
Also ulcer which is caused by hiatal hernia can be controlled with this tip. However, women who are pregnant are advised to not use this tip due to negative side effects.
14. Primrose Oil
This ingredient is included in the home remedies for hiatal hernias due to its unsaturated fats that can stimulate digestion and reduce inflammation in the esophagus as well as stomach. You can take 1000 – 2000 mg of evening primrose oil in your diet for hiatal hernias treatment.
The last of home remedies for hiatal hernias is a brilliant herb which can cure gastrointestinal problem. It is marshmallow and it can ease the stomach lining as well as pain from peptic ulcer. Even inflammation from esophagus lining can be alleviated by this herb.
- Consume more small meals during the day than having few large meals.
- Have dinner for 2 to 3 hours prior to bedtime.
- Lose weight in case there is excessive weight or obesity.
- Control or keep out of alcohol.
- Keep out of tobacco products as well as smoking.
- Have the bed head elevated 4 -6 inches (15 cm) to avoid acidity and heartburn. Also you might use wedge pillow for acid reflux to prevent discomforts.
- Avoid bending or lying down right after meals.
- After eating, it is recommended to take a walk around the house.
- Avoid excessively straining in bowel movements.
- Go for comfortable and loose clothing for your torso.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!