Table of Contents
What is Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
Also has the medical name of menorrhagia, it is the characteristic of periods which are prolonged or heavy.
The most obvious symptom of heavy menstrual bleeding is that it often lasts for more than 7 days. You will need to change tampons or sanitary pads every couple of hour continuously. Furthermore, menstrual will contain large clots of blood, serious cramping at lower abdomen, nausea and fatigue with headaches and severe weakness, shortness of breath as well as mood swings.
This condition can take place on any woman within the age of bearing child. However, people who are at the beginning and the end of menstruation such as young adolescents or older women near menopause are more vulnerable to this condition.
What causes Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
The contributing factors for heavy menstrual bleeding can be due to overweight, certain medications such as hereditary disorder of bleeding or blood thinners.
Other causes can be imbalance of hormone, fibroids, uterine polyps, noncancerous tumors in uterus, ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage. Medical conditions such as pelvic inflammation disease or adenomyosis which affect blood clotting can also make heavy menstrual bleeding happen.
This condition can seriously take impact on your emotional state as well as your daily life activities. Even more severe, it can lead to other problems such as iron-deficiency anemia.
In case you are having heavy menstrual bleeding, you will need to see the doctor for professional medical attention. Also there are natural home remedies that can help you alleviate the symptoms and bring you some comfortableness.
Here are top 15 effective home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding which are easy for you to follow in order to help you get rid of the discomforts as well as support in the treatment of this condition.
1. Cold Compress
This is the top treatment in the home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding as the coldness will be able to make blood vessel constrict which will significantly decrease the blood flow as well as lower abdomen’s pain.
How to use:
- Take a towel to wrap few cubes of ice and tie it up.
- Place on abdomen area for about 15 minutes while lying down and rest.
- Perform the remedy again after 4 hours in case the symptoms persist.
2. Blackstrap Molasses
The richness of iron is the reason why blackstrap molasses is included in the home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. Iron can significantly assist the manufacture of red blood cell as well as control the loss of blood during menstruation. Moreover, it can decrease the clots of blood and ease the muscles of uterine walls thus help soothe the pain.
How to use:
- Take 1 or 2 tablespoons of molasses into milk or some warm water and consume once per day.
- Alternative way is taking half a tablespoon of molasses into lemongrass tea. Consume in the morning and night before going to bed.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar cannot be left out of the top home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. It can help you balance your hormone by detoxify your body. It can even help you relieve cramps, irritation, headaches as well as fatigue.
How to use:
- Take 1 to 2 teaspoons of vinegar into some water and consume the solution 3 times per day during menstrual cycle.
Besides supporting the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding, you can use apple cider vinegar as an excellent remedy for other problems such as allergies. For more information, please read: Home Remedies for Allergies.
4. Red Raspberry
The leaf of red raspberry is also one of those effective home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding that you should pay attention. The tannin from the leaves will help improve the strength of muscles at uterine walls which will decrease pain for abdomen area.
- Take a tablespoon of dried leaves into some hot water and steep for 10 minutes.
- After straining, consume the tea 3 times per day.
- It is better to start consuming tea for a week prior to your menstruation and during the cycle.
Cayenne pepper is the ingredient that you should not overlook when it comes to home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. It can effectively balance the flow of blood as well as hormone for your body, thus help you relieve the symptoms.
How to use:
- Take half a teaspoon of cayenne powder into some warm water with some honey.
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day during menstruation.
6. Coriander Seeds
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of seeds into some water and boil until the water decrease to a half.
- After straining, add some honey and consume warmly for about 3 times per day during the cycle.
In the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding related to uterine fibroids or endometriosis as well as adenomyosis, cinnamon can give a significant help. It can stimulate flow of blood from uterus. Also the antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties can help you ease your cramps efficiently.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of powder into some hot water and simmer for couples of minute. Add some honey and consume 2 times per day.
- Also you can consume 3 drops of tincture from cinnamon bark for 2 times per day.
- Another method is taking 15 to 30 drops of essential oil into a quarter cup of water for 3 times per day.
For more information about the benefits and applications of cinnamon, please read: Proven Health Benefits of Cinnamon.
Comfrey is also another effective herb from the list of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding that you should take note. It can make your blood vessels constrict, thus decrease the excessive bleeding.
How to use:
- Take 2 teaspoons of leaves into some hot water and steep for about 20 minutes.
- After straining, consume once per day during the cycle.
9. Iron-Rich Foods
- Consume rich foods dark-green vegetables, pumpkin seeds, prunes, raisins, cereals, egg yolks, red meat and liver.
- Another method is taking iron supplementary pills after seeing the doctor.
This mineral is very essential for balancing hormones like progesterone or estrogen in female. Also the heavy menstrual bleeding can happen due to lack of magnesium. Thus, consume magnesium-rich foods can help you regulate the flow of blood during the cycle.
Another one of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding which is easy to find from your kitchen anytime is no other than ginger. This ingredient can effectively stop the menstrual flow and relieve your symptoms efficiently. You can have the ginger pounded and boiled for couples of minute. Then you can add some honey or sugar for better taste and consume 3 times per day after meals.
12. Mustard Seeds
Another familiar yet effective home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding is mustard seeds. This seed can effectively stop the excessive flow of menstrual blood. You can take around 40 grams of dried seeds and make them into fine powder. For 1 portion, take 2 grams of powder with milk for twice per day during the cycle.
13. Thyme Tea
Another method for treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding which is easy to prepare and consume is thyme tea. You can take a tablespoon of thyme leaves into some boiling water for 10 minutes and consume the tea. Moreover, putting some ice cubes into the tea and using them as cold compress is also rather effective for heavy menstrual bleeding.
14. Banana Flower
The treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding can be assist effectively with banana flower. You can have banana flower cooked with some curd in order to increase progesterone, thus regulate the flow of menstrual blood.
The last one in the list of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding is licorice as it can be remarkably beneficial in controlling the bleeding of menstruation. You will need to remove the peel and turn them into fine powder. For 1 portion, take 3 grams powder with some water-drained rice for 3 times per day in 4 to 5 days.
In case you are using the home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding but the bleeding does not stop after 7 days, you should seek consultation from gynecologist as soon as possible.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!