Table of Contents
Headache is one of the most common diseases that you easily get in daily life. However, some people tend to accept headache as a normal thing. It is not until the headache gets worse that they rush to find a treatment for it. Thus, it is really important to be aware of causes and treatments to deal with headache .
Headache can be caused by stress, lack of hydration and sleep, restlessness and so on. This disease can lead to nausea and vomiting when the case gets worse. Therefore, dealing with headache as soon as possible is always a sensible decision .
Although there are many kinds of medicine that help you immediately get rid of headache, it cannot be denied that those products are still chemical and can be harmful if you abuse them. Luckily, you can easily treat yourself by using available and inexpensive material at home instead of using pills every time the pain appears.
Here are 15 home remedies for headaches that you can easily implement so as to quickly get rid of the pain and other symptoms.
Temple massage is always the first home remedy for headaches that you take when having a pain. Sometimes it is natural reaction of your body but sometimes it is a way of reducing the painfulness. There are many effective massage methods to release the pain but here is the easiest and most common one .
- Place your thumbs on both of the cheekbones
- Gentle press the temples by the other fingers
- Massage the temples in circular motion
- Slowly move your fingers up along the hairline until your hands meet each other at the center of your forehead
- Keep doing like this in 15 to 30 minutes
Ginger is considered as a traditional natural remedy for headaches thanks to its relaxing smell and anti-inflammatory property. You can take this advantage of ginger by drinking ginger tea or increasing the amount of ginger in your daily meals .
For ginger tea, you can:
- Cut gingers into slices and expose them to the sunlight for 2 to 3 days
- Use these dried ginger slices to make tea
- Drink ginger tea three times a day
3. Mint juice
You can use mint by putting warm mint teabag on your forehead or temples. Otherwise, you can take a clean cloth, dip it in mint juice and place it on your forehead.
Mint is also used for beauty problems. Read more Home Remedies for Greasy Hair.
Basil is an herb having amazing power in calming the painfulness in brain muscles, which makes it a perfect ingredient in home remedies for headaches. Basil can be used in many ways:
- Steam: pour some drops of basil oil on a pot of boiling water and slowly take in steam.
- Tea: put some basil leaves in a teapot, pour 3 to 4 cups of hot water, leave it there for 15 minutes and slowly enjoy it
- Direct use: just eat basil leaves or massage your forehead with basil leave extract.
Learn more about other benefits of basil at Home Remedies for Ear Infection.
Honey always comes as the first choice to treat any diseases and a home remedy for headaches is not an exception since it is very rich in anti-inflammatory substances, which helps relieve the pain effectively .
- Simply dissolve a teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water
- Drink this 3 to 4 times a day
6. Ice pack
Ice pack or cold compress works effectively in pain relief. Moreover, it helps reduce the inflammation which is one of the main reasons for headache. Do not skip this tip when it comes to treatments of headaches.
- Take a clean cloth
- Soak it in a bowl of cold water
- Wring the cloth and put it over your head
- Leave it there for 5 minutes
- Put an ice pack on the back of your neck
- Leave it there for 10 minutes
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times
Lemon is always listed in the top natural home remedies for headaches due to its powerful property in relaxing and re-gaining the balance of body and mind. Moreover, it can be easily purchased with a very reasonable price.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice into a glass of warm water
- Dissolve it well and drink.
You can also add a little honey to make the drink more delicious.
Learn more about another use of lemon at Home Remedies for Dry Feet.
Apple is not only a popular fruit but also a very effective home remedy for headache. Apple helps re-gain the acid-akaline of your body.
All you have to do is eat some slices of apple with a little salt when your head hurts.
Rosemary has an amazing power in preventing your body from getting inflammation. Therefore, this herb is really a helpful assistant for you to get rid of headaches fast.
- Put some dried rosemary leaves in a teapot
- Pour 3 to 4 glasses of boiling water in the teapot
- Enjoy the tea after 15 minutes
- Drink this tea 3 to 4 times a day
Just massage your head and temples with 1 to 2 drops of rosemary oil
Clove is an effective but still soothing natural home remedy for headaches. This herb helps ease and cool down the pain .
Clove can be used alone or with other ingredients. All of these ways still show good performances
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried cloves in a bowl of boiling water
- Inhale the steam
- Mix clove oil with carrier oil
- Use this oil mixture to massage your temples and head
- Mix 3 drops of clove oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of sea salt (small grains)
- Use this mixture to gently rub the temples in circular motions
11. Lavender oil
Lavender oil is one of the most popular oil used in herbal treatment, especially home remedies for headaches. This oil has long been believed to be capable of wiping out the pressure on blood vessels and making people feel comfortable .
To deal with headache, you can use this oil to bath:
- Fill the bath with warm water
- Add some drops of lavender oil in the bath
- Soak yourself in the bath for 15 to 30 minutes
12. Apple cider vinegar
Like apple, apple cider vingegar shows a great effect to your illness as it makes excellent treatment of headaches.
It reduce the pain and also calm you down. Here are 2 ways of using apple cider vinegar to kill headache:
- Pour 3 to 4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a bowl of boiling water
- Inhale the steam for 15 minutes
- Mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of honey
- Dissolve this mixture in warm water
- Drink this 2 to 3 times a day
Feverfew, an herb having like-daisy flower, has been widely used as a treatment for headache for a long time. This herb contains substances which can work really well in alleviating muscle pain .
The part of feverfew which is mostly used is its leaf.
- Put some dried feverfew leaves in a teapot full of hot water
- Drink it after 15 minutes
Buckwheat contains some antioxidants which help strengthen the immune system to fight against the inflammation.
The buckwheat can be used in both oil and whole seed form.
15. Betel leaves
If you are wondering how to get rid of headaches, try betel leaves. Regardless of the smelling, betel leaves is well-known for its great anti-inflammatory and cooling property. Thus, this herb will really help you to quickly say goodbye to an awful headache.
- Grind some betel leaves into a thick paste
- Apply this paste on the temples
- Gently massage in circular motion for a few minutes
- Leave it there for 15 minutes
- Do like this 1 to 2 times a day
Headache can be totally wiped out if you use 1 of 15 methods above and follow the instruction. Remember to give each method a little time to take effect. But if the case does not seem to be brighter, do not hesitate to come and see doctor to receive professional medical treatment.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!