What is Gout?
Common symptoms of gout are intense tenderness, swelling with acute pain and certainly inflammation at joints.
What causes Gout?
Identify the precise cause of gout is hard; however, high level of uric acid can be the reason. Also there are other factors such as excessive consumption of protein or alcohol, stress with lack of exercises as well as genetics .
Gout is often considered the indicator of other problems with your health such as diabetes, kidney stones or hypertension. Therefore, it is necessary to get professional medical attention timely. Moreover, there are some remedies which can help support your treatment efficiently.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for gout which are easy for you to follow at home in order to help you improve the healing process and relieve you from discomforts of gout.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first and top ingredient from the list of home remedies for gout is none other than apple cider vinegar. It is significantly effective against acid stomach and headache which will in turn treat arthritis and especially gout efficiently. Furthermore, acidity from vinegar can ease the acute pain. Also you can consider using honey altogether in order to encourage the anti-inflammatory response .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of raw vinegar into some water.
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day.
In case this remedy is effective on you, you can try to raise the dosage of vinegar to 2 tablespoons.
Apple cider vinegar is also remarkably good at treating problems related to bone such as bone spurs. You can find out more about the effect of apple cider vinegar on this condition at: Home Remedies for Bone Spurs.
2. Ginger Root
The strong anti-inflammatory property from ginger root is the reason why it is put into the list of home remedies for gout. This spice can effectively ease your pain as well as inflammation .
How to use:
- Take some turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and ginger root powder in equal amounts and consume a teaspoon of this mixture with some warm water. Perform twice per day.
- Also use ginger root in your daily cooking or even consume some small pieces of fresh ginger root every day.
- Take ½ teaspoon of ginger root into some boiling water and mix. Consume the liquid at least once per day.
- Crush some ginger root with water to make a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area for at least 30 minutes. Perform once per day.
In case you are having hyperthyroidism, you can check out ginger as it can effectively treat your condition. For more information, please read here: Home Remedies for Hyperthyroidism.
3. Baking Soda
Another kitchen ingredient which you should pay attention from the list of home remedies for gout is baking soda. It can deal with one of the main causes of gout which is uric acid as baking soda will reduce the level of uric acid, thus relieve you from pain.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda into some water.
- Consume the solution for exactly 4 times per day.
- Perform this remedy for 2 weeks.
In case you are over 60 years old, it is recommended that you should not consume more than 3 times per day. Also if you are having hypertension, do not apply this remedy.
If you want to find out more about the benefits and applications of baking soda, please take a look at: Top Health Benefits of Baking Soda.
4. Lemon Juice
One of the main discomforts of gout is pain and there is one fruit from the home remedies for gout which is lemon that can fix this problem. It can alkalize your body and balance the level of uric acid in your blood. The ingredients are also extremely simple as they only require baking soda and lemon juice. Besides lemon, you can try consuming other vitamin-C-rich fruits to improve the strength of body tissues .
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda into some lemon juice. Wait till the fizzing stops, add in some water and consume right away.
- Another way is taking the juice from ½ a lemon into some water and consume 3 times per day.
This fruit is able to make the list of home remedies for gout is because of its excellent antioxidant property. Furthermore, cherries even contain anthocyanins which decrease inflammation and lower the frequency of gout flare-ups .
How to use:
- Consume 15 to 20 cherries per day is recommended for gout people.
- Another way is consuming black cherry juice every day. Also you can put in some mince garlic for better effect.
6. Epsom Salt
It would a huge flaw to miss out Epsom salt from the list of home remedies for gout. The high content of magnesium from Epsom salt can strengthen your heart as well as balance the blood pressure. Furthermore, it can relieve you from muscle ache and pain.
How to use:
- Take 2 cups of salt into a warm bath.
- Soak yourself until the water is cool.
- Perform once per week. In case, you are having severe gout, you can perform 2 to 3 times per week.
For the treatment of gout, banana can give a significant helping-hand with its richness of potassium. Potassium can transform crystals of uric acid into liquid in order to have them flush out of your body by urination. Vitamin C from banana also helps you alleviate pain and swelling efficiently .
How to use:
- Consume 1 to 2 bananas every day.
- Another way is consuming a ripe banana with ½ cup of yogurt.
Apple has always been a healthy fruit for health; therefore, it is no surprise that it is included in the home remedies for gout. Malic acid from apple can neutralize the uric acid, thus relieve you from inflammation and pain of gout. In case, you don’t prefer fresh apple, there is apple juice for your choice. Besides apple, you can try consume carrot for similar effect .
9. Activated Charcoal
The ability to absorb uric acid is what makes activated charcoal appear in the list of home remedies for gout. Gout people can try to take charcoal bath for 2 to 3 times per week.
How to use:
- Make a paste from ½ cup of charcoal and some water. Take the paste into the bathtub and pour in water. Have yourself soaked for about 30 minutes. It will effective for people who have gout at big toe or ankle joint.
- For gout at other body parts, you can take the charcoal paste and apply directly onto the affected area for about 30 minutes. Then cleanse using warm water.
- Another way is taking activated charcoal supplementary pills after consulting the doctor.
10. Cold Water
The simplest from the list of home remedies for gout must be cold water. It is so easy to apply as you only need to put the affected area under cold water in order to decrease pain and swelling. However, you must not apply ice directly onto skin as it might worsen your condition.
How to use:
- Take the affected area and immerse it water for at least 10 minutes. Perform couples of time per day.
- Also you can use the ice pack to place onto the affected area. Perform twice per day but do not use ice pack excessively as it might trigger the crystallization from uric acid.
11. Mustard Oil
The healing benefits as well as richness in powerful nutrients and other medicinal values are what make mustard oil deserve to be in the list of home remedies for gout. The anti-inflammatory property from mustard oil can support significantly in easing pain and swelling and even strengthen the muscles, tendons and tissues. You can take some mustard oil and warm it up. Use the warm oil to massage your affected area for 2 to 3 times per day.
The capability of decreasing uric acid from fenugreek is extremely essential in the treatment of gout. Furthermore, it can even provide you with abundance of vitamins and minerals that are needed to improve the strength of tendons, tissues and joints. Most importantly, alkaloids from fenugreek can fight against the effect of uric acid and prevent it from crystalizing. You can consume a teaspoon of fenugreek powder with some warm milk every day.
Read more about fenugreek’s benefits at Home Remedies for Acne Scar.
Poultice is absolutely necessary for the treatment of gout. You can make a poultice from apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper which can help you soothe the inflammation and pain in joints. Or you can use charcoal and some hot water to make poultice. Use this paste to apply on the affected joint for at least 4 hours. In order to avoid stains, you can take an old cloth to cover the poultice. After about 6 hours, you can cleanse and apply a new batch.
14. Devil’s Claw
There is an ancient herb from the list of home remedies for gout and that devil’s claw. It is extremely effective in pain-relieving for gout. However, in case you are having some problems related to blood or diabetes, it is recommended to avoid this herb .
15. Castor Oil
That last but not least from the list of home remedies for gout is castor oil. Together with mustard oil, they are often considered the best choice for treatment of gout. You can use a cotton ball to dab some warm castor oil onto the affected area.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.