In this article, Authority Remedies provides you with top home remedies for goiter, one of the most common health ailments that influence directly the thyroid gland.
What is Goiter?
Basically, goiter is a medical term used to describe the unpleasant swelling that is located at the base of the neck. This condition is widely known as an abnormal enlargement of thyroid gland   , which produces too less hormones (hypothyroidism)  or too much hormones (hyperthyroidism)  . Goiter can cause another health problem, including difficulty in breathing, swelling at the back of the neck or even discomfort when swallowing. According to several studies, there are two main types of hormones produced by the thyroid gland, namely triiodothyronie (T3) and thryoxine (T4)  ; both of which play an important role in regulating metabolism and blood circulation.
In fact, not many people know that the thyroid gland at the front of the neck is an essential part in the endocrine system. Hormones created from the thyroid gland can control every cell used to give energy to the body.
One of the most leading causes of goiter is the lack of iodine   which the body needs to make thyroid hormone. As there is not enough iodine in regular diets, your thyroid can become larger in order to try to capture all the iodine it can. A goiter happens when the thyroid is incapable of making enough thyroid hormones. In the United States, iodized salt is popularly used to prevent the lack of iodine.
Another cause of goiter is shown as below:
- Cigarette smoking
- Several types of food that need to be avoided (such as vegetables in cabbage and broccoli family, peanuts or soy)
- Autoimmune problem  (when the thyroid gland is attacked by the body’s immune system)
- Certain types of medicines (known as amiodarone or lithium)
People, particularly women, who are over the age of 40, or have a family history of suffering from goiter are more prone to this health problem.
Sometimes, goiter arrives without leaving any clear symptom. However, the most noticeable one is the enlargement in the thyroid gland. The size can vary raging from a small nodule to a large one at the front of the neck. In some specific situations, the enlargement in thyroid can result in:
- Difficulty in breathing, swallowing, typically with solid food
- Pain in the thyroid area as well as hoarseness in the voice  
- A tight feeling in the throat
Home Remedies for Goiter
Most researchers have indicated that treatments can make goiters disappear, which depends greatly on the condition as well as the size of the goiter, associated with its symptoms. Apart from medical cures, there emerge some simple but effective home remedies that help significantly with goiter treatment and symptoms relief. However, do remember that it is necessary to consult to your doctors before applying these natural treatments.
Follow are top 15 effective home remedies for goiter that should be taken into consideration.
As earlier mentioned, the lack of iodine is among the major causes of goiter, hence, consuming diets with an adequate intake of iodine is one of the most effective ways. In a medical standpoint, the daily recommended intake of iodine is 150 micrograms for adults.
To fill your body with iodine, foods that are rich in iodine  such as kale, seafood, eggs, shrimp, tuna, yogurt, baked potato and so on are highly suggested to use.
Note: Excessive iodine can cause goiter; therefore, you should try to talk to your doctors about the increase in the iodine intake.
Garlic can make itself a trusted home remedy for goiter since it can encourage the formation of glutathione   in your body that plays an important role in keeping thyroid functioning healthy. In addition, this fresh ingredient assists in relieving the swelling in the neck. All you need to do is to consume 3 or 4 garlic cloves every day in the morning. You can opt for adding it into your daily diets.
In case you do not enjoy the taste of garlic, you can take garlic supplements. Ask the doctors for proper intake.
Dandelion leaves can work wonder as one of the most excellent goiter removals. The leaves can relieve the swelling on the neck and thereby reducing the discomfort caused by goiter.
How to apply:
- Prepare two or three dandelion leaves and add some clarified butter on a side
- Warm the leaves and place them on the goiter
- Cover it with a bandage
- Keep it for several hours
- Grind some dandelion leaves to create the paste
- Mix it with two teaspoons of clarified butter
- Heat the mixture and rub it on the goiter
- Keep it for 15 minutes
Use either of those home remedies up to two times regularly within two weeks
Know as a rich source of iodine, watercress has been proven to be effective for treating goiter. It also contains high level of other essential nutrients and minerals such as germanium , anti-oxidants or sulphur  that are potential for protecting your thyroid gland.
How to apply:
- Crush some watercress to create a paste
- Rub the homemade paste over our neck affected by swelling
- Keep it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Perform the treatment daily for more than 10 days
Another selection is to add two teaspoons of the juice extracted from watercress to a glass of water. Subsequently, consume the mixture thrice per day in about 5 weeks.
5. Green Tea
Green tea is strongly suggested by many herbalists about its wonderful effect of treating goiter. This home remedy is loaded with high level of antioxidant as well as natural fluoride; hence; it helps significantly in keeping your thyroid healthy. Green tea affords numerous health benefits, including preventing goiter from returning.
How to apply:
- Add a teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water
- Cover and then steep for about five minutes
- After straining, mix it well with some honey
- Consume the tea more than thrice per day
You might want to know how green tea can eliminate onion breath.
6. Lemon Balm Tea
One of the most amazing health benefits of lemon balm tea is it can support the immunity and thereby regulating hormone levels. Lemon balm tea is among top home remedies for goiter because it is high in selenium   that helps the thyroid regulate well by managing all the activities of the pituitary glands. Before using this treatment, you need to make sure that you are not suffering from glaucoma.
How to apply:
- Grab two teaspoons of dried or fresh lemon balm in a cup of boiling water
- Cover it and allow it to steep for 10 minutes
- After straining, mix it well with some honey and drink
- Drink the tea thrice per day for the better results
7. Coconut Oil
Thanks to the lauric acid found in this fresh ingredient that has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-protozoa agents, coconut oil  can act as a good goiter removal. It also holds medium chain of monoglycerides and fatty acids that your body needs to produce more energy. Applying coconut oil can help relieve the inflammation and speed up the process of healing damaged tissues.
How to apply:
- Add equal amount of each coconut oil to unsalted butter
- Mix them well with hot coffee till the solution is dissolved
- Consume the mixture per day every morning and evening
You can opt for adding this in your smoothies.
You might want to know how coconut oil becomes natural remedies for cellulitis
Due to packing with tons of important minerals and vitamins, flaxseeds help your body heal and thereby relieving the inflammation as well as swelling caused by goiter. In addition, flaxseed paste is beneficial for treating pain as well as inflammation resulted from any health problems.
How to apply:
- Grind about 2 teaspoons of flaxseeds to form a powder
- Add water to this to create a paste
- Rub the paste over the neck affected by goiter
- Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off with clean water
9. Sorrel Leaves
Another incredible tip on how to get rid of goiter is sorrel leaves  . These leaves are packed with many essential minerals including iodine that helps prevent and cure goiter effectively.
How to apply:
- Grind some sorrel leaves to create a paste and add some olive oil to it
- Rub the paste on the affected area and wait for 20 minutes
- Washing it off with clean water before patting dry
- Perform the treatment on a daily basis
The good source of minerals and vitamins make pineapple become one of the most excellent home remedies for goiter. This treatment can help reduce goiter symptoms, especially coughing. All you need to do is to turn this healthy fruit as a part of your regular diet to notice positive outcome in early time.
Commonly known as a kind of seaweed, kelp  is rich in iodine that assists in balancing the function of thyroid. It also contains magnesium, iron, potassium, iron and calcium. Since its taste is salty, you can add it to replace salt in salad, soup or other dishes. Alternatively, you can consume kelp in capsule form but first, do take your doctor’s consultation.
Kanchanara is a traditional herbal treatment for goiter and mostly used in India for centuries. Besides goiter, this herb can cure sore throat, diarrhea, skin ulcers or even sinusitis. Kanachanara helps accelerate the process of hormonal production of thyroid gland.
How to apply:
- Boil about 15 grams of powdered kanchanara with a cup of water on the medium heat
- As the herb reduces to 40 ml, turn off the heat
- After straining this, consume it once per day, 30 minutes before each meal
- Do the treatment within three months
13. Cold Shower
To treat goiter workably, you can have a cold shower for two times a day. Cold shower is believed to encourage the thyroid gland and help it function properly. This is considered as one of the most amazing home remedies for goiter.
14. Selenium-rich Food
A recent study has reported that the thyroid gland requires selenium to work properly. The lack of selenium can make the thyroid gland heavy and hence weakening your health condition. Therefore, consuming foods that are rich in selenium  is extremely important for the re-production of thyroid hormones.
Some selenium-rich food can include:
- Sunflower seeds
- Wheat germ
- Brown rice
- Fatty Fish
- Brazil nuts
15. Diet – Eating Plan
- Consume some fresh fruits such as oranges, apples, pineapple and vegetables, particularly leafy green ones
- Add iodine and selenium-rich foods to your diets in order to prevent against goiter
- Try to avoid spicy and greasy foods
- Drink lots of water and healthy fruit and vegetable juices
- Consume iron-rich foods  to help relieve goiter symptoms and promote the thyroid gland
- Eat foods that are rich in vitamin A and vitamin B
- Consume up to 6 meals instead of 3 big meals as usual to take care of your metabolism
- Limit the intake of gluten 
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.