In this article, Authority Remedies aims to show you top natural home remedies for Gingivitis, which is basically known as a mild infection of the gums. Everyone can develop gingivitis without notifying since the initial symptoms are mild to be recognized.
Medically, gingivitis is widely known as one of the most common types of gum disease and featured by redness, irritation and swelling. It is a form of periodontal disease. The disease is described by inflammation, and infection damaging the tissues used to support teeth health.
Gingivitis results from the long term influences of plaque deposits on your teeth. Plaque is described as a sticky material created by mucus, food debris and bacteria that can develop on the exposed part of a tooth. Also, plague   is one of the leading causes of tooth decay.
If the plague is not completely removed, it can develop into a hard deposit (called calculus) trapped at the base of the teeth. This causes harm to the gum. According to a study, toxins and bacteria produced make the gum swollen  , tender and infected.
Other causes of gingivitis can include:
- Poor dental hygiene  
- Diabetes  
- Certain infection diseases
- Pregnancy    (the changes of hormone raise the sensitivity of the gums)
- Using several kinds of medicine such as bismuth, phenytoin and birth-control pills
Take a note that lots of individuals have gingivitis; it usually grows and develops during early adulthood and puberty due to the changes of hormone. Gingivitis can last for a long time and return often relying on the health condition of your teeth and gums.
What are the symptoms of Gingivitis?
Once suffering from gingivitis, you should not ignore some of the following common symptoms:
- Bleeding gums (noticing blood on toothbrush even when you brush your teeth gently)
- Gums becoming tender as touched
- Swollen gums
- Mouth sores
- Reddish-purple or bright red gums
How to Treat Gingivitis naturally?
When left untreated, gingivitis can take responsibility for gum recession and cause more problems that attack your general health. It can be more severe and lead to serious infections such us periodontitis and tooth loss. A research from the Centers for Disease Control and the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research has concluded that there is a relationship of gingivitis with diabetes, lung diseases and heart attack. Also of the note, this problem can increase the higher risk of premature delivery in pregnant women.
In order to treat and prevent successfully gingivitis, good oral habits are one of the most important things you need to do. Try to brush your teeth at least per day, flossing regularly and having dental checkups. The dentists can help you detect the problem and offer some useful suggestion as soon as possible.
Along with good oral health habits, there are some available home remedies for gingivitis that you can try to support what your dentists are doing.
Following are top 13 fantastic natural cures for gingivitis to help treat and prevent gingivitis naturally.
One of the most effective home remedies for gingivitis that should be taken seriously is turmeric. Here is the reason. Thanks to containing curcumin   that owns antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, turmeric can help greatly with plaque, swelling, pain and inflammation reduction in gums. This fresh ingredient can make you happy with as it enables to remove bacterial activity to fight with the infection.
As a result, mouthwash containing turmeric is a perfect solution to this problem because it can work as an adjunct to mechanical plaque control in order to prevent from gingivitis. It can become comparable to any of the traditional chlorexidine mouthwash  thanks to its effect of anti-plaque, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
How to apply:
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with some water or vitamin E oil to create a gum pack.
- Rub it over your gums and wait for 10 minutes
- Wash it with warm water
- Perform the same process once daily in several weeks
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a half teaspoon of salt and mustard oil
- Rub it over your teeth and gum
- Massage it two times regularly
Salt is a continuous gingivitis home treatment that should not be looked down on because of its antiseptic and antibacterial agents. Salt can cure swollen and gum inflamed. Also, it gets infection out of abscesses and limits the bacterial development in your mouth.
How to apply:
- Mix a half teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water
- Use it as the saline solution to wash your mouth every morning and every night before bedtime to get the swelling of your gums reduced
- Mix a half teaspoon of salt with mustard oil to create a paste
- Massage your gum with this paste for 1 to 2 minutes
- Gargle your mouth with warm water
- Do the same process thrice daily for several days
3. Oil Pulling
If you are still seeking ways on how to cure gingivitis, don’t forget oil pulling, which turns out to be one of most trusted home remedies for gingivitis. This is due to the fact that it can decrease bacteria associated with gingivitis. In addition, oil pulling is able to eliminate plaque, promote gum health and thereby maintaining good oral health.
How to apply:
- Place a teaspoon of coconut oil or sesame oil into your mouth
- Swish in your mouth and teeth and wait for 20 minutes
- Spit it out and wash your mouth with warm water
- Repeat the same process every morning before brushing your teeth within a month
Note: You should not gargle or swallow the oil.
4. Tea tree oil
Known as a well-known topical ingredient, tea tree oil   owns various health benefits that can make you surprised, including gingivitis prevention. Due to its antibiotic properties, tea tree oil is beneficial for your general oral health. A person with severe and chronic gingivitis had better brush his teeth two times daily with tea tree oil. Several studies have also published their results showing that participants who contracted gingivitis witnessed a remarkable reduction in gingivitis and gum bleeding.
Note: Take a note that tea tree oil cannot be used when it is not diluted. The oil can cause some issues such as irritation that makes your oral health become worse. Nowadays, tea tree oil toothpaste are available to help you directly improve your gingivitis condition.
5. Baking Soda
Basically, baking soda is among common home remedies for gingivitis because it can neutralize the acids in your mouth, subsequently decreasing the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Baking can sever well as a natural antiseptic to aid in combating with gum infections.
How to apply:
- Add baking soda to some warm water to create a paste
- Rub the paste over your gums and leave it on for 2 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
- Perform the treatment for 3 times per week
6. Aloe Vera
Due to the antibacterial and antifungal agents found in this plant, aloe vera  has been shown to be potential for preventing against gingivitis. The function of aloe vera can combat with bacterial accumulation leading to plague and gingivitis. It can reduce pain and then sooth inflamed gums and teeth.
How to apply:
- Take aloe vera leaves and get the pulp extracted
- Apply the pulp to the infected gums
- Wait for 10 minutes and gargle your gums with cold water
- Do the same process several times per day until your condition gets better
One of the most impressive abilities of cranberry is that it can help prevent bacteria from invading your teeth and worsening gingivitis. To get this health benefit, cranberry must be used in a natural form, which does not contain sugar; hence, a 100% of cranberry juice without sugar is an ideal suggestion.
In fact, cranberry supplement is not effective since its juice must contact with the teeth inside your mouth. In case you suffer from kidney stones or have warfarin, a blood thinning medication, you are not allowed to take this remedy if there is no any consultation from your doctors.
Read also: Home Remedies for Kidney Infection
Peppermint can be the satisfactory answer on how to cure gingivitis effectively. Peppermint is loaded with antibacterial and antiseptic  agents which are widely applied to help relieve the symptoms of gingivitis. It also decreases inflammation and bacteria causing bad breath.
How to apply:
- Dip some crushed peppermint leaves into water and leave it on for 30 minutes
- Use the mixture to wash your mouth for thrice daily
Another option is making a cup of peppermint tea and then consume it between meals or making the tea to cool down and use it as a handmade mouthwash. You can also brush your teeth with peppermint toothpaste twice daily for better outcomes.
Read also: Home Remedies for Bad Breath
9. Guava Leaves
Another fantastic home remedy for gingivitis belongs to guava leaves. It is considered as a good treatment because of relieving toothaches and gum disease thanks to their package of anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, analgesic  and antioxidant properties. Those leaves can work as an antiplaque agent.
How to apply:
- Wash some guava leaves carefully
- Eat them and then spit out
- Repeat this remedy for several weeks
You can also grind some its leaves and use as a guava-flavored toothpaste.
If you are fond of clove, you might know that one of its most wonderful health benefits is to act as an effective treatment for gingivitis. Clove is packed with strong antiseptic, antioxidant and anti-inflammation compound that can help cure gingivitis in a safe and natural way.
How to apply:
- Chew from 2 to 3 cloves for thrice per day to get gingivitis reduced
- Apply clove oil to your gums
- Leave it on for several minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water
- Do this two times regularly or until you feel satisfied with the results
Note: Small children, pregnant women or people who take blood thinning medicines are not allowed to use clove or clove oil.
11. Vitamin C
A study has shown the well-established relation between the lack of Vitamin C and gum disease   . This has also discovered that periodontal problem happens more often because of vitamin C deficiency. This vitamin works as a powerful antioxidant to prevent gingivitis because it speeds up the bone regeneration to help fix connective tissues. For the safety reason, adult women at the age of 19 need about 75 milligrams daily while this figure for adult men is at least 90 milligrams per day.
12. Vitamin D
Vitamin D  plays an important role in not only promoting bone health but also lowering the risk of gingivitis. Researches from Boston University concluded higher source of vitamin D can make gingivitis less likely to induce bleeding. People with adequate vitamin D intake have gum stay healthy and remain less prone to the disease. The recommended daily intake of Vitamin D is 600IU for adult people from 19 to 70 and 800 IU for those who are over 70. One of the best ways to take vitamin D is via sunlight exposure. However, it the level are too low, you should ask doctors for the proper dosage to help raise the blood levels.
13. Relieve Stress
Unsolved stress  can partly contribute to gingivitis sine it makes plaque accumulation increase and therefore putting a threat to gum disease. Reducing stress is extremely important to have your gingivitis treated. Stress has a negative impact on gum bleeding and plaque. A study at Dusseldorf has indicated the relation between the significant drop of stress and the lower risk of getting gingivitis.
- Have dental check-ups frequently
- Brush your teeth with a soft toothbrush twice daily.
- Replace the toothbrush every 4 months.
- Use toothpaste containing antibacterial and antiseptic properties to help maintain oral health.
- Avoid tobacco because it can cause harm your gum and teeth
- Consume more calcium-rich foods for stronger teeth and gums
- Consume some crunchy fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots and radishes to keep promoting saliva and making your mouth clean.
- Eat yogurt and cheese in order to control and decrease bacteria in your mouth.
Read also: How to Get Strong Teeth and Gums
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.