Table of Contents
In this article, we will introduce to you about the disease named Gastroenteritis with some brief information about causes and symptoms as well as our most recommended 15 treatments.
What is Gastroenteritis?
Also known commonly as gastric flu or stomach flu, it is the condition which affects the stomach as well as small intestine and makes them inflamed because of bacterial or viral infection   .
What causes Gastroenteritis?
The primary sources for gastroenteritis are the norovirus, rotavirus as well as the bacteria called Campylobacter and Escherichia coli (E. coli). However, there are also numerous other agents which can cause the infection  .
This is a extremely contagious disease and the symptoms will surface within the time of 12 to 48 hours after being exposed against the infectious agents and they will last for approximately 2 – 10 days which are depended on the infection type  .
What are the symptoms of Gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis can have some common symptoms which are nausea, upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps. Also there are some other signs which often accompanied are headache and fever, body aches, chills, dry mouth as well as skin .
This disease does not exclude anyone; however, children are more vulnerable because of their weak immunity.
In case of having gastroenteritis, it is important to replenish electrolytes and fluids because vomiting as well as diarrhea will create imbalance of electrolytes (minerals and salt) in your body, thus triggers dehydration .
Dehydration will then impact the normal function of your body and might slow down the healing. Therefore, consume sufficient water as well as clear fluids such as soups, broths or rice water. Moreover, rest as much as you can .
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for gastroenteritis which are simple and easy for you to follow at home in order to get rid of this disease and improve your immune system.
The most recommended ingredient from the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis is salt because of the sodium which is an excellent electrolyte that can combine with water efficiently in order to prevent dehydration from diarrhea and vomiting .
Moreover, salt can assist you in fighting against infection as well as maintaining the level of pH in the digestive tract .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of salt into some filtered water.
- Put in 2 tablespoons of sugar and dissolve altogether.
- Consume in short intervals during the day.
Also you might use the electrolyte preparations which are available commercially to maintain balance of electrolytes as well as avoid dehydration.
The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties are the reason why ginger is an essential ingredient in the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis. It can help you avoid as well as cure the infection of stomach, even decrease the frequency of watery stools, vomiting, nausea and abdominal cramps .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger into some boiling water and let it steep for about 15 minutes. Then have it strained, put in some honey and consume slowly for 2 – 3 times per day.
- Also you can consume the ginger ale using fresh ginger for couples of time per day.
- Another way is taking a piece of fresh ginger to chew or taking some capsules of ginger.
Note: People who are having high blood pressure are not recommended to apply this tip.
Containing antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant properties, asafetida is incredibly effective in fighting against bacteria and viruses as well as alleviating gastroenteritis’s symptoms. Furthermore, it is even able to promote digestion and improve the strength of digestive tract. Therefore, it is no surprise to see asafetida in the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis .
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of asafetida powder into some warm water and mix together.
- Consume twice every day in couples of day.
In order to avoid gastroenteritis as well as other problems related to digestion, include some asafetida into foods such as curries regularly.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
This ingredient is capable of promoting the proper level of pH in your stomach as well as removing bad toxins from your body. Together with high content of pectin, it can even ease the irritation in your stomach and alleviate gas, vomiting with nausea and stomach ache. That is why apple cider vinegar is an important component in the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of organic vinegar into some warm water and consume for 30 minutes prior to your meals. Perform regularly until the condition improves.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of organic vinegar into some grape juice and consume twice every day for couples of day.
5. Baking Soda
Considered the natural antacid, it can significantly neutralize acid inside stomach, thus alleviate the sour stomach as well as symptoms of heartburn and gastroenteritis. Furthermore, it is capable of decrease diarrhea and vomiting .
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda with ½ teaspoon of salt and 4 tablespoons of sugar into some water and mix altogether.
- Consume 2 to 3 times per day.
Note: People who are having high blood pressure are not recommended to apply this tip due to the sodium in baking soda.
The powerful antispasmodic property from basil is excellent in preventing the gastric spasms. It is able to strengthen your stomach while helping you avoid gastroenteritis. Therefore, you should take some consideration about apply this herb from the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis.
How to use:
- Take some basil juice with ginger juice in equal amount and consume together for 2 – 3 times per day.
- Also you can take about 10 – 15 leaves of basil into some boiling water. Have some rock salt added in and consume twice every day in couples of day.
- Another way is consuming basil tea with some honey for couples of time per day.
The strong antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties are what make peppermint a valuable herb in the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis. It is capable of alleviating bloating, gas, nausea with upset stomach as well as cramps of intestine and stomach .
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of dried leaves into some boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Then have it strained and put in some honey for better taste.
- Consume for 3 times every day in between the meals for couples of day.
- Also you can take peppermint gum which is sugar-free to chew in order to ease the stomach.
With carminative, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, this herb can encourage the smooth function of the digestive system. It can effectively alleviate such symptoms as bloating, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, gas and nausea. This is an essential herb which you should definitely pay attention in the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis  .
How to use:
- Take 1 tablespoon of fresh or 2 teaspoons of dried flower of chamomile into some hot water.
- Have it steeped for about 15 minutes.
- Then have it strained and put in some honey and lemon juice.
- Consume for couples of time per day in 2 – 3 days.
Also you might include some chamomile leaves into ice tea and consume frequently.
Either raw or ripe, both of them can support the treatment of gastroenteritis well. Abundant of amylase-resistant starch, banana is capable of alleviating the symptoms extremely well .
Furthermore, it can help replenish magnesium and potassium which are the 2 most important electrolytes that are needed for the normal function of digestive system. Moreover, it is a bland food which can be digested easily so that it will support the healing efficiently.
How to use:
- Take some slices of banana into some yogurt and consume 2 – 3 times per day.
- Also you can consume some ripe bananas or even the raw banana soup.
In order to eliminate negative bacteria and have them replaced by positive bacteria for the digestive track, then probiotics is your perfect choice from the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis. It can restore the healthiness for your digestive track while relieving diarrhea, vomiting and nausea   .
How to use:
- Consume more foods such as kefir and yogurt which contain probiotics. Keep out of kefir and yogurt which are artificially sweetened.
- Also you might take supplement of probiotics but only after consulting the doctor.
11. Carom Seeds
This is considered a potent ingredient for disorders and infection related to digestive tract. With the antiviral and antibacterial properties, carom seed can significantly the distressing symptoms from gastroenteritis. You can take a griddle to heat up and have carom seeds roasted on it until they explode. Then have the seeds grinded and add a little bit of kala namak. Consume twice every day with some water.
12. Pomegranate Juice
This fruit is an extremely powerful tip in the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis. Not only it can help you maintain hydration for your body and resupply vital electrolytes, it can even help cease the diarrhea by solidify the stool. Moreover, it will revive the body as well as eliminate weakness for your body. You just need to consume 2 glasses of juice from pomegranate every day.
13. Lemon Juice
The list of home remedies for gastroenteritis will be incomplete without lemon juice. It is capable of improve your digestion and you just need to consume a teaspoon of lemon juice with some water. Also you might include lemon juice into tea from mint.
14. Rice Water
The symptoms from gastroenteritis can be significantly relieved with the use of rice water. By consuming some rice water hourly, the treatment of gastroenteritis will be immensely improved.
The last ingredient from the list of home remedies for gastroenteritis belongs to applesauce. You just need to include some of it into your daily cooking instead of butter in order to alleviate the discomfort from gastroenteritis quickly.
- Have all fruits and vegetables cleansed carefully before consuming.
- Keep out of foods which are uncooked or raw.
- Consume 8 – 10 water glasses daily.
- Keep out of milk or products from milk for couples of day.
- Apply BRAT diet for 1 week which includes banana, white rice, applesauce and dry toast.
- Take as much sleep and rest as possible in order to improve the healing.
- Keep out of acidic drinks such as orange juice.
- Keep out of carbonated and caffeinated beverages.
- Consume light meals as well as home-cooked foods for couples of week after having the disease.
- Keep out of nicotine and alcohol while dieting for gastroenteritis.
- Have hot water bag or warm compress applied onto the stomach for alleviating cramping and pain.
- Also you can apply acupuncture, aromatherapy and acupressure for treating symptoms from gastroenteritis.
Tags: home remedies for gastroenteritis, how to get rid of gastroenteritis, treatment of gastroenteritis, gastroenteritis treatment, remedy for gastroenteritis.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!