- What is Food Fungus?
- What are Signs and Symptoms?
- What are Causes?
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2. Tea Tree Oil
- 3. Baking Soda
- 4. White Vinegar
- 5. Garlic
- 6. Coconut Oil
- 7. Lavender Oil
- 8. Oregano Oil
- 9. Listerine Mouthwash
- 10. Corn Meal
- 11. Orange Oil
- 12. Olive Leaf Extract
- 13. Hydrogen Peroxide
- 14. Sodium Borate
- 15. Probiotics
One day, foot fungus incidentally happens and brings along annoying troubles that make you worry and unpleasant. This article will collect some simple home remedies for foot fungus to help you quickly escape from the discomfort.
What is Food Fungus?
Foot fungus, mainly considered as fungal toenail infection, is the most common disease of the toenails which occurs in almost 10% of adult. More seriously, this kind of disease may be persistent and cause problems .
What are Signs and Symptoms?
Foot fungus begins with some white or yellow spots under the tip of toenails. These spots gradually spread and make your nails thickened, discolored and distorted. The nails can become brittle and some pieces may come away from the toes. Along with this infection is the feeling of pain in the toes and a foul smell.
What are Causes?
This problem can arise from behaviors like walking barefoot, swimming and sweating. It strongly exposes in moist, warm and dark environments, so showers or sweating shoes can be the ideal ones. In many cases, foot fungus is very painful and the patient may have to face with difficulties in using his feet.
Here are top 15 home remedies for foot fungus that are easy to apply and instantly effective…
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
As one kind of mildly acidic, apple cider vinegar can prevent fungus from spreading and kill bacteria .
How to apply apple cider vinegar:
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Pour hot water into this mixture and let it cool down.
- When the water becomes warm, soak your feet in it for more than 30 minutes.
The method should be daily repeated. Also you can apply this below method:
- Mix some teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with rice flour to create a paste.
- Apply this paste to your feet.
- Scrub your feet gently for several minutes to remove dead skin cells.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat it 2 times a week.
Apple cider vinegar can also be used in home remedies for congestion.
2. Tea Tree Oil
How to apply tea tree oil:
- Mix tea tree oil one – in – one with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture directly to the fungal areas then leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Scrub gently.
Follow this method every day until you can get rid of foot fungus and continue for more weeks to prevent it from coming back.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda cannot kill the fungus but it is ideal to curb and prevent fungus from growing and spreading .
Baking soda creates an alkaline environment that is uninhabitable to the fungus (fungus is likely wide-spreading when it meets the acidic environment).
How to apply baking soda:
- Mix ½ cup of baking soda with an equal amount of Epsom salt and ¼ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Then pour in 4 cups of hot water. Mix this well and add ¼ cup of white vinegar.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash your feet with water and then dry it completely with towels.
Repeat this 2 times per day for several weeks until your feet are cleared up.
You can also learn more about the usage of baking soda in how to get rid of clogged pores.
4. White Vinegar
It seems to be counter – intuitive that white vinegar can be used to treat fungus, because white vinegar is a kind of weak acid. In fact, it can help to kill fungus and fight against infections without changing the pH of your skin.
How to apply white vinegar:
- Mix white vinegar with warm water with the rate 1:2
- Soak your feet in this solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water and dry your feet.
Apply 2 times a day to quickly remove the fungus.
Garlic is an amazing ingredient in your kitchen. Its usage is related to the main characteristics of anti-fungus and anti-bacteria, especially in fighting against Candida – the main cause of foot fungus .
How to apply garlic:
- Crush some garlic cloves.
- Put them into a foot bath and pour water.
- Use this kind of water to soak your feet for about 30 minutes.
- Dry your feet thoroughly.
In alternative way, you can:
- Mix crushed garlic cloves with olive oil.
- Apply this directly to the affected areas.
Follow these methods 2 times a day and you will see the disappearing of foot fungus.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains one kind of fatty acids called “caprylic acids” which can automatically enter in the fungal cells and disturb them, leading to the destruction of fungus and the infection .
How to apply coconut oil:
- Apply coconut oil directly to the affected areas.
- Let it be dried for at least 15 minutes.
Coconut oil is very safe and good for your skin health, so you can apply this method regularly.
7. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is very useful in treating fungus thanks to its natural anti-fungal properties. It should be one of the optional choices in home remedies for foot fungus .
How to apply lavender oil:
- Clear your feet with warm water and dry them well.
- Apply some drops of lavender oil to the fungal areas.
- Cover your feet to keep the oil.
- Let them be soaked all the night when you sleep.
You can apply this method every night until your feet become healthy and continue for some weeks later to avoid the fungus coming back.
8. Oregano Oil
As well as lavender oil, oregano oil also can be chosen for fungal home treatment thanks to its anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties .
How to apply oregano oil:
- Mix well a few drops of oregano oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Place this on the fungal areas.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash off with water and dry your feet.
You should repeat using oregano oil 1-2 times a day for about 3 weeks to get the best results.
9. Listerine Mouthwash
Not only being used for keeping your mouth clear, but also Listerine mouthwash can be used to fight back foot fungus. It is very strong in keep away bacteria and anti-fungi.
How to apply Listerine mouthwash:
- Mix an amount of Listerine mouthwash one-in-one with white vinegar to create a solution.
- Soak your feet in this solution in 30 minutes.
- Scrub gently the infected areas.
- Wash off with water and dry.
To completely clear the infection, you should repeat this remedy 1-2 times per day.
10. Corn Meal
Corn meal can be used both for cooking and home remedies for foot fungus. In fact, corn meal contains a harmless fungus to the body but it can kill the foot fungus.
How to apply corn meal:
- Mix 1 cup of corn meal with 1 litter of water and leave it for about 1 hour.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and dry your feet.
Because corn meal is totally safe to your skin and nails so you can use this treatment daily.
11. Orange Oil
How to apply orange oil:
- Mix 1 part of orange oil with 1 part of olive oil to dilute it.
- Apply this mixture to the affected areas.
- Let it be there for at least 1 hour.
Note that the oil may affect sensitive skin so you should test it in the healthy skin area before applying to the affected areas. This remedy can be daily repeated.
12. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is one of the best home remedies for foot fungus. It can help to prevent bacteria and fungi from spreading and reduce the cholesterol level. In addition, olive leaf extract is considered as one of the most powerful detoxifier antioxidants .
How to apply olive leaf extract:
- Just drink a little amount of olive leaf extract at the first time you apply this method, because your body may experience discomfort.
- Increase the amount gradually when your body is used to olive leaf extract and you feel no discomfort.
This home remedy should be repeated daily.
13. Hydrogen Peroxide
How to apply hydrogen peroxide:
- Dilute hydrogen peroxide with water so that you can get a solution at 3.0%-3.3% strength.
- Use a clean cotton cloth to apply this solution to the toenails fungus and the areas around them.
- Wait for 3-5 minutes and clean your feet.
- Follow this progress 2-3 times a day.
Moreover, you can wash your feet with a natural antifungal soap to prevent the spread of fungi.
14. Sodium Borate
Sodium borate, also known as borax, is one kind of natural mineral that is quite strong in treating fungi.
How to apply sodium borate:
- Mix borax power with the same amount of baking soda.
- Add some water to make a paste.
- Apply this mixture to the fungal areas.
- Rub them gently for several minutes and rinse off with water.
Apply this method 2 times a day until the fungus disappears.
It seems interesting that factors inside your body also affect to the treatment of food fungus. An imbalance of healthy micro-flora can lead to the overgrowth of harmful fungi. That is the reason why along with foot fungus treatment, you should have a suitable pro-biotic supplement .
In fact, a good pro-biotic supplement can create a convenient environment for the helpful gut bacteria to develop. These healthy bacteria will limit the living space of harmful ones. Also they will secrete a byproduct that can curb and destroy Candida.
However, when supplement probiotic foods, you should remember to avoid things that contain lots of sugar because they can feed the unwanted fungi.
Foot fungus should be early treated to avoid many unexpected results. Basing on your body’s response, you can try one of these simple home remedies. If the situation is not improved, don’t be afraid of going to the doctor to see the best treatment.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.