What is Fever?
Fever is the term used to describe the state of body which the temperature is outside and higher than normal range. Even though, the common temperature is 37 degree Celsius or 98.6 degree Fahrenheit, it is not universal because children might have slightly different body temperature than adults, and it is even different among adults as well.
For children, they are considered having fever when body temperature is above 37.5 degree C or 99.5 degree F. For adults, a fever is determined when the body temperature is above the range of 37.2 – 37.5 degree C and 99 – 99.5 degree F .
What causes Fever?
Fever is usually the indicator, symptom of other illnesses or conditions. It is the reaction of the body against infections like flu.
Several other causes of fever can be immunization response at children, infections of ear, urinary tract, inflammatory diseases such as gastroenteritis, cancer or autoimmune disorders. Also drastic change of weather as well as unhygienic environment can cause fever as well.
Symptoms of Fever
Common signs of fever can be muscle ache, headache, weakness, sweating and dehydration, shivering and losing appetite.
Although, fever is good and quick to heal, it might cause you some discomforts. There are remedies from home that can help you relieve its symptoms and make you feel at ease.
However, you need to take note that fever which is above 40 degree C or 104 degree F is extremely dangerous. In that case, you need to seek professional medical attention as soon as possible.
Here are the top 15 most effective natural home remedies for fever which are easy for you to apply at home in order to get rid of fever and improve your immunity…
1. Cool Water
Take a piece of wash cloth and have it soaked in cool water. Wring the water out and use it to sponge areas hands and feet, armpits and groin to cool down the temperature.
At the same time, take some damp and cold wash cloths to place on the forehead as well as back of the neck. Change the cloths regularly every few minutes. This tip is the best one of home remedies for fever that is high as it can control the body temperature.
Note: Do not use water which is too cold as it might cause reverse reaction which increase the internal body temperature.
One of the most effective herbs in the list of home remedies for fever is basil. Its effectiveness is no less than any antibiotics available at the moment. Therefore, it can help you cool down the fever rather quickly .
How to use:
- Take 20 basil leaves with a teaspoon of crush ginger into some boiling water. After the water reduces, add some honey and consume the tea 2 to 3 times per day in 3 days.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of basil with ¼ teaspoon of pepper into some boiling water. After steeping for 5 minutes, have it strained and consume the tea for 2 to 3 times per day until the fever is gone.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another incredible kitchen ingredient from the list of home remedies for fever which you should pay attention is apple cider vinegar. The acid from vinegar can significantly draw out the heat from the skin. Furthermore, minerals from the vinegar can help you replenish the lost amount due to the fever.
How to use:
- Take ½ cup of vinegar into a warm bath. Soak yourself for at least 10 minutes. Perform again if the body temperature increases.
- Take 1 part of vinegar with 2 parts of water and soak a piece of cloth in it. Wring the water out of the cloth and apply on your forehead, tummy and your feet soles. When the cloth gets warm, change it to a new cool one. Perform repeatedly until the fever is subsided.
- Take 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of honey into some water. Consume 2 to 3 times per day.
Having apple cider vinegar can also help you avoid vomiting which is a sign of heavy fever. For more information, please read: Home Remedies for Vomiting.
If you are looking for tips from home remedies for fever that can help you sweat, then garlic is your answer. Its warm nature will help your sweat well, thus detoxify your body and improve the healing. Furthermore, the antibacterial and antifungal properties from garlic are essential for you to combat against infections and other diseases .
How to use:
- Take a garlic clove and mince finely. Add in a cup of hot water and steep about 10 minutes. After straining, consume the liquid twice per day.
- Make a mixture from 2 crushed cloves of garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and warm it up. Apply onto the feet soles and use gauze to cover overnight. This remedy can cure fever overnight.
Note: Garlic is not recommended for use by small children and pregnant women.
Besides curing fever, garlic can help you get rid of a rather annoying problem. You can find out more about garlic at: Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.
The best fruit from home remedies for fever that you can enjoy while curing fever is raisin. The phenolic phytonutrients from raisin contain antioxidant and antibacterial properties which are essential for your body to fight fever .
How to use:
- Take 25 raisins and soak in ½ cup of water for an hour.
- Have the raisin crushed and strained to get the liquid.
- Add in some lime juice.
- Consume twice per day until the fever is subsided.
Ginger is an ingredient you just cannot leave out in a fever treatment. It is excellent at expelling heat and cool down fever. Moreover, antibacterial and antiviral properties from ginger can improve your immunity to combat against infections .
How to use:
- Take 2 tablespoon of ginger powder into a warm bath and soak yourself for at least 10 minutes. Have your body dried completely before sleeping. Take a blanket to cover yourself fully and you will be able to sweat, thus bring down the fever.
- Take ½ teaspoon of grated ginger into some boiling water and steep for couples of minute. Add in a little bit of honey and consume 3 to 4 times per day.
- Another way is taking ½ teaspoon of ginger juice with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey to make a mixture. Consume 3 to 4 times per day until the fever is down.
Ginger can calm not only your fever but also most of the problems with your stomach such as acid reflux. For more information how ginger can cure stomach acid reflux, please read: Home Remedies for Acid Reflux.
Peppermint is another herb that you cannot overlook from the list of home remedies for fever as its excellent cooling property will help you cool down the internal system and normalize the body temperature through extracting excessive heat out of the body.
How to use:
- Take 1 tablespoon of crushed leaves into some hot water and steep for about 10 minutes. After straining, add in some honey and consume 3 to 4 times per day.
- Take some mint leaves with ½ teaspoon of pepper powder and ½ teaspoon of ginger powder into some boiling water. After the water reduces, have it strained and split the liquid into 3 portions. Consume 3 times per day.
8. Egg White
In the treatment of fever, egg white can give a significant hand in bring down the temperature. Being gel-like, it can absorb heat from fever without any side effect.
How to use:
- Take 2 to 3 egg to break and separate the egg white.
- Have the egg white beaten for 1 minute.
- Take a thin towel to soak the egg white and apply on feet soles.
- Put on the socks to cover the towel.
- After the towel is warm and dry, change it to a new cool one.
- Perform again until the fever is subsided.
The reason why turmeric is included in the home remedies for fever is due to its compound named curcumin which contains all the essential properties such as antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. Turmeric can enhance the immune system against infections as well as prevent the escalation and decrease the fever’s duration .
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric with ¼ teaspoon of pepper powder into some hot milk.
- Consume twice per day.
With the cooling as well as therapeutic properties, sandalwood can help you cure fever rather effectively as well as ease your discomforts which fever might bring. Furthermore, sandalwood is extremely effective at getting rid of headache associated with fever.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of powder with some water to make a paste.
- Apply onto the forehead.
- Perform again for couples of time until the fever is subsided.
Containing substances such as saponins, alkaloids and diosgenin, fenugreek is an easily accessible kitchen ingredient which you can put into the list of home remedies for fever. It can help bring down fever as well as its symptoms .
Take a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and soak into water overnight. Have it strained in the morning and consume. Also you can take some fenugreek seeds with honey and lemon, then consume together.
12. Coriander Seeds
The phytonutrients and vitamins from coriander seeds can support you significantly in the treatment of fever .
You can make some coriander tea by taking a tablespoon of coriander seeds into some hot water and steeping for few minutes. After straining, you can put in some sugar and consume.
You can take the white part of lemongrass to crush and steep in some warm water. After straining, let it cool down and consume in order to lower the fever .
You can take an onion and chop it into half, then put under the feet soles. Another way is taking some onion slices into your socks and wearing them. This remedy can help you alleviate your fever efficiently.
The last ingredient on the list of home remedies for fever is artichoke. You can take an artichoke and have it boiled until soft. After cooling down, you can take out the middle part and eat in order to cure the fever.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.