Table of Contents
Eyes, as well as eyelids, are considered the body’s most sensitive parts. Due to their sensitiveness, even the slightest irritation and smallest infection can create problems for the eyes.
One of the most usual problems is bumps on the eyelids which are cysts. The reason for cysts to appear can be oil gland blockages or even inflammation . Let’s take a look at how we can get rid of them with natural home remedies for eyelid cysts!
What Are Eyelid Cysts?
Eyelid cysts have different types, but there is one thing in common that they all cause swelling in the eyelid area. Notably, there are cases which are generated from bites by insects.
Typically, cysts can go away by themselves; however, occasionally, some cases require antibiotics treatment or even surgery. Also if the cysts remain for too long without treatment, there might be negative consequences on your vision.
Among eye problems, eyelid cysts are the norm as its frequency is the highest. Commonly known as chalazion, the cysts of this type are often solid and firm which contain fluid inside. It happens due to eye gland blockages and secretion will be stopped producing .
Types of Eyelid Cysts:
- Stye: the most common eyelid cyst and is caused by infections. It is a bump which is swollen and red and painful. It often lasts for around 2 days but remember to consult the doctors if it takes longer .
- Chalazia: is the second stage after stye is not treated. Happen when bacteria create a solid lump in the eyelid. Even though, it is not infectious or painful, it can remain for at least 2 to 3 months. In case it takes longer, surgery might be required for removal.
- Sweat Gland Cysts: often look transparent and shiny lumps located near the tear ducts. This one is dangerous as it can lead to basal cell carcinoma; therefore, professional medical attention is required.
- Keratosis Cysts: there are 3 types of this one which are seborrheic, actinic and keratosis pilaris.
- Inclusion Cysts: look white with fluid inside that form a swelling lump on the eyelid. Normally, it is painless and harmless; however, get a doctor’s conclusion should be done for precaution.
What Causes Eyelid Cysts?
In many cases, it is nearly impossible to figure out the exact causes of eyelid cysts. They might be the consequence of many different factors. There are some conventional catalysts to which you can refer.
The primary reasons would be dirt or dust and bacteria get trapped around your eyes which result in cysts on the eyes. Besides, your eyelid cysts might appear due to one of these contributors.
- The ducts and glands are the two most common parts which are often get blocked by dirt and dust.
- Get infected with bacteria (Staph).
- Lack of hygiene
- Unhygienic contact lenses can cause eye infections.
- Strong cosmetic chemicals that irritate and infect your eyes.
- Leave make-up overnight without cleansing.
- Using unclean hands to rub your eyes is likely to cause infections and cysts.
- Skin cancer (however, it is an uncommon factor)
Symptoms of Eyelid Cysts
It seems that eyelid cysts are the same for all of us. It usually starts with swelling which is the most obvious symptom. If you touch this area, it will become sore. Then, after several days, there are bumps.
Also, there are others for identification.
- Feel itchy in your eyes.
- The tear comes out too much.
- Increase crust in your eyes.
- Have water and mucus coming out of your eyes.
- Swelling lumps appear on the eyelids.
- Eye skin becomes tenderer.
- Redness is observed in your eyes.
- Eyes are more sensitive toward lights.
- Feel pain in the area around eyes.
When Do You Need A Doctor?
In general, if possible, you had better visit your doctor immediately when you notice there is something wrong with your eyes. They are sensitive and essential parts, so even small problems need much attention.
The doctor can examine your condition thoroughly and diagnose the problem. You might have to give some information about the signs or your medical history so that the doctor can come up with the most appropriate treatment.
Besides, once you witness one of these alarming signs, it is high time you needed medical attention:
- Eyelid cysts block the vision
- You have experienced eyelid cysts before
- The size of eyelid cysts increases over time and they do not disappear on their own, even when you use some treatments, such as home remedies for eyelid cysts.
Home Remedies for Eyelid Cysts
If you do not fall into severe conditions, the likelihood is that you can use some natural home remedies for eyelid cysts to get rid of this problem. They come at low costs and bring no adverse effect in the long term.
Here are the top 18 most effective home remedies for eyelid cysts which you can easily apply at home. Even though cysts often disappear on their own, you can choose to take those methods to improve your healing process and make it more comfortable.
1. Warm Compress
Overall, a warm compress is one of the simplest, but most transformative home remedies for eyelid cysts. The heat will promote circulation of blood in your eyes which will help clear blockages in the eye glands as well as alleviate swelling and pain.
How to use:
- Take a piece of soft cloth; soak in hot clean water and then squeeze.
- Apply the piece of cloth onto your eyelid for around 10 minutes.
- Keep doing for 3 to 4 time for a couple of weeks.
- Another option is steaming with your face.
For other applications of the warm compress, please read Home Remedies for Sore Nipples.
Giving a massage to the affected area can encourage the draining and healing process. Its efficiency can surpass some of the best home remedies for eyelid cysts. Massage improves the blood circulation and softens the lumps. As a result, you can avoid many discomforts due to eyelid cysts.
How to use:
- Sterilize your hand with soap and water.
- Use the warm compress on your eyelid before the massage.
- Lightly massage the affected area using only the fingers for around 3 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure for couples of time per day.
3. Guava Leaves
Is it surprising for you that guava leaves can serve as one of the best home remedies for eyelid cysts? Guava is delicious and beneficial, undeniably. But using its leaves for medical purposes sound strange, right?
In fact, it is not new to South American people. They have made use of the leaves for ages because of their benefits associated with cancer, immunity, skin, hair, and also eyes.
With anti-inflammatory property, guava leaves are effective at fighting against pain and swelling as well as promoting the recovery process .
Moreover, you can get a tremendous amount of vitamin C as well as flavonoids from the leaves. They have positive effects on the removal of free radicals and prevention of bacteria.
How to use:
- Choose few fresh leaves, clean and then heat them up.
- Cover the leaves with a piece of cloth.
- Apply on the affected area of your eyelid.
- Reheat the leaves if they cool down.
- Keep doing this process twice per day for couples of day.
4. Acacia Leaves
The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of acacia leaves can significantly alleviate swelling and pain from eyelid cysts .
Therefore, it is undeniable that acacia leave is the next name among top home remedies for eyelid cysts.
Acacia leaves might be useful, especially when your conditions get severe with blocked vision. If you combine acacia leaves and warm compress, the healing process will take a shorter time.
How to use:
- Take some fresh acacia leaves into 2 cups of hot water.
- When the leaves are warm, take them out and then dip a piece of cloth into the water.
- Apply similarly to the warm compress remedy.
- Keep doing for couples of time per day for few days.
Note: Nevertheless, some people are allergic to acacia leaves, so you had better understand your specific condition first.
Besides, women during pregnancy and breastfeeding period should avoid this ingredient due to some possible adverse effects.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
With its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, you can consider apple cider vinegar as one of the most significant home remedies for eyelid cysts. This ingredient is not only a favorite ingredient in the kitchen but also a popular cure for health problems.
It contains many healing compounds, such as magnesium, probiotics, and acetic acid. They play a vital role in the fight of harmful bacteria that are responsible for eyelid cysts and infections.
Furthermore, you can take advantage of its qualities to prevent inflammation, relieve pain, and inhibit the spread of cysts. Compress using apple cider vinegar can decrease swelling and pain as well as prevent infections effectively.
How to use:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of vinegar with 1 glass of hot water. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and directly apply to the affected eyelid. Repeat 3 times per day for couples of day.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of vinegar into 1 glass of water and consume twice per day for couples of weeks.
6. Castor Oil
Because of its anti-inflammatory property, castor oil can reduce your inflammation and pain quickly and helps cysts disappear faster . Since ancient Egypt, castor oil has always been one of the essential home remedies for eyelid cysts.
How to use:
- Start with a warm compress for around 5 minutes first. Then take a cotton cloth to dip in castor oil before applying on the eyelid. Repeat twice per day for a couple of weeks.
- Make a paste using castor oil and a half teaspoon of turmeric powder. After cleansing, the eyelid put the paste onto the affected eyelid. After 15 minutes, cleanse the eyelid again. Repeat for three times per day until the problem is solved.
7. Green Tea Bags
How can a simple drink like green tea become one of the highly recommended home remedies for eyelid cysts?
If you are a fan of home remedies, it is sure that you are familiar with green tea – one of the healthiest drinks.
Containing anti-inflammatory property and tannic acid, green tea bags can efficiently relieve inflammation and pain as well as bring down cysts and prevent infections .
Besides, you can absorb many antioxidants from green tea. Its abundance of antioxidants results from the presence of catechins. Also, polyphenols in green tea are responsible for its anti-inflammatory impacts.
All of these contribute to a faster recovery. Drinking green tea often also enables your cysts to reduce in size. It is such a great way to take advantage of tea bags which you usually throw away, right?
How to use:
- Soak the tea bags in warm water for around 5 minutes.
- Strain and squeeze the tea bags to get rid of excessive water.
- Apply the wet tea bags onto your eyelid for around 5 minutes.
- Keep doing for couples of time per day.
8. Aloe Vera
How to use:
- Use the gel from Aloe Vera leaves to apply onto the eyelid for around 15 minutes. After that, cleanse using warm water. Keep doing for couples of time per day for 1 week.
- Use a cotton ball to dip in the gel and then put on the eyelid for around 20 minutes. After 2 hours, repeat the procedure. Keep doing for 1 week.
Parsley is an indispensable part of our top home remedies for eyelid cysts. We can see various benefits from this simple ingredient.
As it is good at detoxifying cysts as well as contains the antibacterial substance, parsley can promote the quick healing process.
On the other hand, parsley is an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent itself. It can prevent severe infection.
How to use:
- Take some fresh parsley into a hot bowl of water.
- When water is cool, soak a piece of cloth in the water and squeeze
- Apply the cloth to the eyelid for around 15 minutes.
- Repeat three times per day for one week.
Another tea among top home remedies for eyelid cysts is chamomile. It is also a favorite drink of many people, besides green tea. Chamomile provides a great number of benefits, including treating migraines, skin problems, stress, and also eyelid cysts.
According to some laboratory research, there are a lot of antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory compounds in chamomile. They play an essential part in the fight of pain and swelling. You will recover more quickly thanks to the daily consumption of chamomile.
How to apply:
- Keep chamomile leaves in water and boil them
- Steep the leaves for about 5 minutes before straining it
- When the tea becomes warm, you soak a cotton pad into it and put the pad to your eyelid for the next 10 minutes
- You can repeat the remedy once or twice every day and the improvements will come within a week
11. Coriander Seeds
With anti-inflammatory property, coriander seeds – one of the best home remedies for eyelid cysts – alleviate pain, swelling and redness from cysts quickly. You might also know that coriander seeds have many incredible effects on your skin and hair.
How to use:
- Take 1 teaspoon of the seeds into 1 hot boiling cup of water
- After the water is cool, wash your eyelid using that water.
- Repeat for 2 to 3 times per day until there is positive result.
12. Breast Milk
It is super effective against eyelid cysts; however, breast milk is one of the excellent home remedies for eyelid cysts as it is not always available for you. In case there is breast milk, you can drop some on your eyelid to make the cysts disappear faster.
13. Onion Juice
Onion is something you cannot skip when it comes to natural home remedies for eyelid cysts. Not to mention its benefits, the fact that most of us have onion inside our home makes it super easy to apply this remedy.
For long, onion has been famous for its countless health benefits, from preventing cardiovascular diseases to addressing common cold. Now, you have learned that it is useful in treating eyelid cysts as well.
Onion has a lot of flavonoids, especially quercetin, which helps to relieve pain and swelling efficiently. Besides, its richness of antioxidants and phytochemicals is beneficial to boost your recovery.
How to apply:
- Take some onion and squeeze them for the juice.
- Put some drops onto the eyelid to quicken the healing process.
- Repeat couples of time per day.
Or you can simply increase the use of onion in daily cooking for the best outcome.
14. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the most excellent home remedies for eyelid cysts, especially when you want to promote a quicker healing process.
In many articles, we have introduced baking soda with its incredible abilities to neutralize irritants and toxins on our skin and therefore, prevent a lot of problems. It works for our eyes as well.
Baking soda provides many qualities that are appropriate for the treatment, such as anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antibacterial ones. It is useful for addressing pain and inflammation, undeniably.
How to apply:
- Mix baking soda and enough water so that you have a milky paste
- Apply the paste to your eyelid
- Cover this area with a bandage and leave it for about 15 minutes
- Then, take lukewarm water to wash your eyelid
- You can use this remedy up to 3 times on a daily basis
Cucumber is nothing strange for those who usually take care of their skin and eyes. It has excellent effects on nourishing your skin and eyes. Thanks to its richness of nutrients, we can use it as one of the best home remedies for eyelid cysts as well.
Caffeic and ascorbic acids which are present in cucumber are great addition to the treatment of swelling on your eyelids.
Furthermore, its astringency enables you to get rid of pain and inflammation. Undeniably, cucumber is one of the most economical home remedies for eyelid cysts you can find almost everywhere.
How to apply:
- Prepare a fresh and clean cucumber
- Remove its skin and cut it into slices
- Keep slices on each eyelid for more or less than 15 minutes
- You had better use cucumber 3 times per day to see the improvement quickly
One of the essential home remedies for eyelid cysts that most people do not know is tomato – such a common cooking ingredient, simply like cucumber. You might have heard about its significant impacts on skin care, but tomato turns out to be super beneficial for the eyes as well.
It is an excellent source of many nutrients, including vitamins and minerals. Some of them play the central role in combatting eyelid cysts, for example, antioxidants, magnesium, vitamin C, and copper.
Also, tomato is efficient to prevent inflammation and relieve pain due to eyelid cysts.
How to apply:
- Wash a tomato in water first and cut it into thin slices
- Apply the slices to your eyelids for about 5 minutes
- Repeat the method 2-3 times on a daily basis
Alternatively, you can prepare the fresh juice of tomato and apply it to your eyelid with the help of a cotton ball.
17. Flaxseed Oil
Without a doubt, flaxseed oil is the next candidate for the top home remedies for eyelid cysts that we would like to mention. In addition to omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed oil provides a lot of lignans, which possess antioxidant properties to combat annoying symptoms.
How to apply:
- First, use clean water to rinse your eyelid carefully
- Then, pour the oil (half a teaspoon) on your palms
- Rub your palms and massage your eyelid for about 5 minutes
- After 10 minutes, take lukewarm water to rinse the eyelid
- Repeat the method about 2-3 times every day
You can benefit from potato which serves as one of the most significant home remedies for eyelid cysts. Its skin contains choline and quercetin. They have dominant antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nature to help you fight eyelid cysts.
Moreover, both potato and cucumber possess astringent qualities to reduce irritations. Therefore, you can apply potato slices to your eyelid to address all disturbing signs of cysts quickly.
How to Prevent Eyelid Cysts
Eyelid cysts are not dangerous, but they are the primary cause of many inconveniences. And it is a great idea to prevent it, instead of seeking all home remedies for eyelid cysts. To prevent it successfully, you need to keep yourself hygienic. This approach not only helps improve the healing process but also prevents infections.
- Keep your eyelids clean with shampoo and warm water.
- Avoid sharing handkerchief and towel for men and eye cosmetics for women.
- Never touch your eyes with unclean hands.
- Keep the skin area around your eyes as hygienic as possible.
- Control your eye rubbing habit.
- Restrain on using cosmetics as well as contact lenses.
- Change your eye cosmetics on a 6-months basis, particularly mascara.
- Keep your eyes out of polluted air and dust.
- Never rub or squeeze the cysts and let them go on their own.
Overall, eyelid cysts are usually easy to treat and with our home remedies for eyelid cysts, you can manage to get rid of them without side effects. But whenever you have any inquiries, the suggestion is to contact your doctor for the best advice.
Please LIKE and SHARE the article to make these home remedies for eyelid cysts more available to people around the world!
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!