Table of Contents
What is Dermatitis?
Most common signs can be redness with burning sensation, itching and swelling as well as inflammation. If the dermatitis is severe, there might be skin scaling and crusting with blisters.
What causes Dermatitis?
Dermatitis can come from factors such as toxins accumulated in the body, environmental conditions or irritants, lack of nutrition as well as allergic reactions and even genetics. Furthermore, people whose skin is dry or thin are more vulnerable to dermatitis.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for dermatitis which are easy for you to follow at home in order to get rid of dermatitis and improve your skin health.
1. Coconut Oil
The first amazing method on the list of home remedies for dermatitis is none other than coconut oil. The moisturizing as well as antimicrobial properties from coconut oil is so effective against dermatitis that it can significantly alleviate dryness, scaling and redness in just couples of day .
You can take some coconut oil and apply gently onto the affected skin for softening. For best effect, opt for virgin coconut oil and use it before bedtime.
For more information about the benefits and applications of coconut oil, please read: How to Get Rid of Dry Skin.
Oatmeal is a surprisingly excellent treatment for skin conditions from the list of home remedies for dermatitis. It is effective at moisturizing your skin .
How to use:
- Take a cup of oatmeal powder into a warm bathtub.
- Soak yourself for at least 15 minutes.
- Perform every day for a month.
If you want to know any more skin problem which oatmeal can handle, please take a look at: Home Remedies for Rashes.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
It would be a big mistake to leave out apple cider vinegar from the list of home remedies for dermatitis when it comes to skin problems. Inflammation as well as itchiness can be get rid of effectively by apple cider vinegar .
How to use:
- Mix some apple cider vinegar and water in equal amount. Take a cotton ball for applying then after keeping for about 30 minutes, cleanse off using a damped cloth. Perform every day for couples of weeks.
- Another way is consuming 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with some water for 2 to 3 times per day.
Apple cider vinegar and skin problems cannot be apart, even for the problems which is caused by such insects as bee, apple cider vinegar can still control it. You can find out more about apple cider vinegar at: Home Remedies for Bee Sting.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has always been a remarkable treatment for skin problems. Therefore, there is no doubt that it is presented in the list of home remedies for dermatitis. Aloe Vera can maintain the balance of pH level for the skin as well as ease the irritation and itching sensation of your skin. Furthermore, it even contains antimicrobial and moisturizing properties .
How to use:
- Take the fresh gel from Aloe Vera to apply couples of time per day in several months.
- Another way is consuming some Aloe Vera juice to improve the health of your skin.
Besides, aloe vera is also safe for babies and children, thus it is used as an effective ingredient in Home Remedies for Diaper Rash.
5. Vitamin E
It is referred as the simplest yet equally effective method on the list of home remedies for dermatitis. The reason is due to its effectiveness in relieving itchiness as well as inflammation while improving the healing process .
You can apply vitamin E oil onto the skin before bedtime. Other products which you might consider are creams and lotions that have vitamin E.
Also you can consume more foods which are abundant of vitamin E like wheat germ oil, peanut butter, sunflower seeds and corn.
As an extremely common household ingredient but also an incredible tip from the list of home remedies for dermatitis, honey can effectively alleviate the inflammation for your skin due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties .
How to use:
- Mix some olive oil, beeswax and raw honey with equal amount. Then use a double-boiler for heating up to form an ointment. After cooling down, use the ointment to apply onto the skin and keep it there for couples of hour. Perform every day for couples of week.
- In case of dermatitis caused by radiation, use manuka honey to apply twice per day.
For the treatment of dermatitis, chamomile can assist rather well by providing its therapeutic property for soothing the skin .
How to use:
- Take 2 to 3 teaspoons of chamomile into some hot water for about 10 minutes. After cooling down, use a cloth to soak the liquid and then apply the cloth onto the affected skin for at least 20 minutes. Perform several times per day.
- Another way is applying chamomile cream for couples of time per day. Also you can take some chamomile essential oil into a warm bath and soak for at least 20 minutes every day.
Note: Remember to test the allergy of your skin with chamomile oil before applying to avoid any skin allergic reaction.
The home remedies for dermatitis cannot be completed without the presentation of neem. It can help you treat dermatitis to the root as it will revive the health of your skin while protect it from any kind of infection .
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of sesame oil and the same for turmeric powder into some grounded neem leaves to form a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected skin. After couples of hour, you can cleanse it off. Perform every day for several months.
- Another way is adding some neem oil into a warm bath and soaking for at least 20 minutes every day.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder into some boiling water.
- Consume when it is cool.
- Also you can use the solution for rinsing the affected area.
- Perform every day for several months.
10. Slippery Elm
The reason for slippery elm to appear in the list of home remedies for dermatitis is due to its mucilage content which is effective at moisturizing the skin and improving the healing process.
How to use:
- Take some slippery elm leaves to grind to form a paste.
- Use the paste to apply onto the affected skin.
- Cleanse off after it is dry completely.
- Perform 3 times per day.
Worthy for making the list for home remedies for dermatitis, this fruit can treat the symptoms of dermatitis brilliantly while improve the health of your skin and make it immune to infections .
You can put some bilberries into water for about an hour. After the mixture becomes homogenous, have it boiled for about 20 minutes and let it cool down. Use the solution to cleanse the affected skin 3 times per day.
The richness of vitamin A in carrot is the reason why carrot is included in the list of home remedies for dermatitis because lack of vitamin A is a major cause of dermatitis. Furthermore, the antioxidant property can help you prevent dermatitis in the future while nourish your skin post dermatitis.
You can take some carrots to peel and have them boiled till soft. Mash into a paste and use the paste to apply onto the affected skin. After about 15 minutes, cleanse off using cold water.
Also you can consume carrot juice every day or 1/3 cup of boiled sliced carrot.
13. Almond Leaves
Instead of almond as the remedy, this time it is the leaf of almond that make the list of home remedies for dermatitis. You can crush some almond leaves with water to form a paste. Use the paste to apply directly onto the affected skin. After a while, cleanse off using warm water. Finish with some moisturizer and perform 3 times every day.
14. Calamine Lotion
This lotion is brilliantly effective for the treatment of dermatitis. You can take some lotion and apply a thin layer onto the affected skin. Avoid apply thickly as it might block the pores. Perform 3 times every day.
15. Avoid Scratching Skin
The last tip on the list of home remedies for dermatitis is not an ingredient but a warning. People who are suffering from dermatitis should avoid scratching the skin at all cost in order to prevent your skin from getting infection. In case of unable to stand it, you can use the fingertips to rub gently. Also remember to have the kids’ nails trimmed short so that they cannot scratch using the nails. For better caution, have the kids wear mitten on hands during sleeping to avoid harms for their skin.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!