Table of Contents
What is COPD?
COPD is shortened for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which involve constriction of the airways and difficulty or discomfort in breathing. It is a popular disease in many countries, especially in US with approximately 12 million people diagnosed with COPD. The risk of COPD increases with age and the number of men diagnosed with COPD is more than women .
Symptoms of COPD
In the first period of COPD, symptoms are not clear. So many people usually ignore them and think that they are related to something less serious. However, over time, the symptoms are more and more serious. They can include: ongoing cough, increase of mucus, shortness of breath, wheezing, fatigue and frequent flare-ups .
Causes of COPD
COPD is mainly caused by smoking. Besides, there are some other causes such as: long-term exposure to secondhand smoke, other lung irritants like air pollution, chemical fumes and dust from external environment or workplace, etc. 
COPD, if not treated timely, can cause other serious health complications such as: respiratory infections, high blood pressure, heart problems, lung cancer and depression. However, a healthy lifestyle, medicines and simple home remedies can help you control and get rid of this disease.
Here are top 15 most effective home remedies for COPD which you can easily apply at home in order to treat the symptoms of COPD as well as strengthen your respiratory system…
1. Black Tea
Black tea is one of the most effective home remedies for COPD due to its tannin and other useful compounds, which can improve your immunity system, eradicate bacteria and viruses as well as relieve pain, swelling .
How to use:
- Drink 3-4 cups of hot black teas daily to help you breathe easily, spread passages and decongest airways effectively.
Garlic contains antibiotic, antiviral, and antibacterial properties, which can eliminate mucous from tubes of bronchitis. Furthermore, it also relieves pain, swelling in chest and clean up the lung effectively. Therefore, garlic is considered one of the top home remedies for COPD .
How to use:
- Crush some garlic cloves.
- Heat a half teaspoon of butter and roast it for several seconds.
- Eat it and then do not drink any water for 30 minutes.
Additionally, garlic is also useful as a remedy for other health problems. You can read more at: Home Remedies for Allergic Rhinitis.
Ginger is effective in healing some dysfunction and disorders of the body, removing some types of infections in chest, cleaning the phlegm from tubes and reducing cough and shortness of breath – common symptoms of COPD .
To get rid of COPD, you can apply this home remedy in the following way:
- Warm ginger juice for some minutes and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink it three times daily until the condition improves.
Also ginger is used in curing hangover. You can read more at: How to Get Rid of Hangover.
4. Black Pepper
With relieving and eliminating mucous effect, black pepper is one of those excellent home remedies for COPD.
How to use:
- Crush some black pepper corns and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Eat this mixture daily until you can get rid of copd.
For more information about the benefits and applications of black tea, please read: Home Remedies for Periodontitis.
5. Ajwain Leaves
This herb can help clean congestion and relieve lung functions and cough for the treatment of COPD .
How to use:
- Chew some fresh ajwain leaves every day to see the positive result in getting rid of COPD.
6. Quit Smoking
As said above, the main cause of COPD is smoking; therefore, to get rid of this disease, the first thing should be giving up smoking. Cigarette smoke contains thousands of toxic chemicals that when people inhale, it can affect the lungs immensely. If you have to inhale these toxins for a long time, they can lead to abnormal lung irritation .
As a result, you should give up smoking to relieve the symptoms of the disease. You can ask your doctor for some advices if you are struggling to give up.
7. Avoid Lung Irritants
Like smoking, some other agents such as: dust, pollen, smog, or chemicals from cleaning products, paint and textiles can also cause COPD.
Therefore, avoid lung irritants is another one of the top simple yet useful home remedies for COPD in order to get rid of this disease. You should:
- Avoid places where there is smoking.
- Avoid highly polluted areas such as: industrial zones, etc.
- Keep your house’s atmosphere clean and fresh.
- Avoid going out when smog levels are high.
- When going out, wear a surgical mask to protect your lung from irritants.
- Limit your exercise or physical activity when you go out.
8. Avoid Extreme Weather
For people who are suffering from COPD, a slight change in the weather can cause symptoms like difficult breath, coughing and phlegm production. So the extreme weather is very harmful for your health.
When weather is hot and humid, you should stay in a cool and air-conditioned environment and only go out in the early morning or late evening.
During cold and windy weather, you should stay in a warm room; and wear warm clothes and wear a face mask over your mouth and nose when going out.
9. Avoid Respiratory Infections
How to use:
- Avoid crowds and communicating with people who are sick.
- Always keep your hands clean.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Supplement enough water for your body.
- Have annual flu and pneumonia vaccines.
- If you catch an infection, you should ask your doctor for advices immediately.
Some simple home remedies for COPD above are good methods to prevent harmful bacteria and viruses from breaking the lining of the airways and making your COPD more serious.
10. Breathing Exercises
For people suffering from COPD, breathing exercise is one the most essential home remedies for COPD in order to improve your breathing. Breathing exercises include pursed-lip breathing and diaphragmatic breathing .
Pursed-lip breathing can help control the difficult breath, relieve anxiety, and make you relax and breathe more easily.
Diaphragmatic breathing helps you strengthen the diaphragm muscle, and improve the shortness of breath.
11. Exercise Regularly
It is clear that regular physical exercises are very good for your health in general. Besides, it is a great home remedy for COPD due to strengthening the muscles to help you breathe easily.
If you are suffering from copd, you can choose the different types of exercise to follow:
- Cardiovascular exercises with steady aerobic activities.
- Strengthening or resistance exercises.
- Stretching and flexibility exercises like yoga.
12. A Healthy Diet
For people suffering from COPD, they have to keep a strict diet to control the symptoms and maintain a proper weight. There are some notes for them:
- Include low-fat protein foods (fish, lean cuts of meat, etc); foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids; foods rich in potassium; whole-grain foods (bran, brown rice, oat, etc); fresh fruits and green vegetables in your daily diet.
- Limit the quantity of salt in your diet.
- Avoid dairy products like milk, cheese; and chocolate.
- Divide your diet into many small and frequent meals.
13. Watch What You Drink
Drinking plenty of water throughout the day is recommended as one of the simple yet effective home remedies for COPD. This method not only keeps you hydrated but also keeps mucus thin to breathe easily.
How to use:
- Besides water, you can drink some fresh extracted fruit and vegetable juices every day.
- Soups, broths and smoothies are also sources providing fluid for you throughout the day.
- Avoid caffeinated and alcohol drinks like coffee, tea, soda, beer, etc.
14. Take Vitamin D
Almost people suffering from COPD have a low level of vitamin D in the body. Vitamin D protects the body from viral and bacterial infections and improves the lung function properly.
To relieve and get rid of COPD, you should supplement vitamin D by absorbing sunlight for about 10 minutes in the early morning. Besides, increasing foods rich in vitamin D like milk, cheese, eggs, fatty fish in your daily diet is also good home remedy to supplement vitamin D.
15. Reduce Stress
Stress can make the COPD’s condition worse due to causing the difficult breath .
Therefore, to relieve and get rid of COPD, you should control your stress in life by finding way to reduce it as much as possible to make you comfortable and feel calm, relaxed such as: doing some favorite things, going out with your friends, going shopping, doing exercises, etc.
15 home remedies for COPD above are useful “how to” tips to control and get rid of COPD. You should consistently follow these home remedies and can apply many home remedies for COPD together to have the best result in the shortest time.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!