Table of Contents
What is Constipation in Infants?
Constipation has already been a complicating problem; therefore, it is even more difficult on infants. In addition, it is distressing to watch your babies in pain and discomforts .
Normally, the bowel movement amount which infants let out will be depended on their age as well as their diet.
Symptoms of Constipation in Infants
Infants are considered having constipation in case their bowel movements are lower than normal. There can be some other signs accompanied such as abnormal straining in order to pass stool, stool contains blood, firm tummy as well as decline eating due to increasing discomfort.
What causes Constipation in Infants?
The occurrence of this problem can be because of introducing new type of solid food, some particular type of baby formula, dehydration or lack of activity.
Even though, it is not the norm, infants can get constipation from some medical condition like hypothyroidism, food allergies, botulism or metabolic disorders.
In case your babies get constipation rather frequently, you will need to consult the pediatrician.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for constipation in infants that you can apply easily at home in order to cure constipation for your babies as well as improve their digestive system.
1. Light Exercise
This tip is the most applied one in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants. There are some specialized exercises for the babies that can help improve their digestion as well as regular bowel movements, thus cure the constipation for the infants. As a matter of fact, babies who are active tend to have less gas, constipation and pain in their stomach.
How to do:
- In case your baby has begun crawling, you should have the baby took some laps by encouraging.
- Exercise like leg bicycle is also significantly helpful. Have your baby lied down, then you hold the baby’s legs in the half-bent posture and start to move them like the baby is riding bicyle.
- For baby who has started walking, you can help the baby to stroll around after meals.
Do not have your child lied down immediately after having meals.
2. Tummy Massage
This tip from the list of home remedies for constipation in infants has proven to be extremely effective. Have the baby’s lower abdomen as well as stomach massaged gently will encourage bowel movements. Furthermore, it will support the relief of gas and even colic pain for infants. Even better, massage can also promote good sleep for the baby .
How to do:
- Have your baby lied down.
- Take some warm coconut or olive oil onto the stomach of your baby.
- Performing in the location which is 2 finger-widths from the navel, then have the baby’s stomach massaged gently in clockwise motion for about 4 minutes.
- Perform couples of massage during the day until the baby wants to have bowel movement.
3. Warm Bath
This tip is the simplest in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants as it is something that you would usually do for your baby. It will encourage things to be transferred through the baby’s body quicker as well as provide some gas-pain relief.
How to do:
- Take some warm water into the baby’s tub.
- Have your baby bathed in the water.
- Also perform some tummy massage during the drying session for your baby.
It is also reported that the prophylactic use from lactobacillus reuteri throughout the first 3 months can decrease the attack of gastrointestinal disorders which could result in infantile colic, constipation and gastro esophageal reflux.
How to use:
- You can have your baby consumed some yogurt which contains live cultures in order to obtain probiotics.
- Also you can consult the pediatrician for supplement of probiotic for your baby.
Learn more about other benefits of probiotic at How to Prevent Bladder Infections.
5. Increase Fluid Intake
This tip is the most essential one from the list of home remedies for constipation in infants which you should definitely follow. For infants, milk as well as water is the most excellent option for maintaining hydration and smooth function of digestive tract. It will stimulate bowel movements regularly, thus help the baby avoid gas pain and constipation.
How to do:
- Have your baby drank water regularly. For better digestion, you can use warm water.
- Besides water, you can use milk and even breastfeed the baby.
6. Fennel Seeds
This seed is capable of encouraging smooth movement of the muscle at the digestive tract. As a result, the baby will be able to have healthy digestion as well as frequent bowel movements. Also fennel can even help avoid gas. That is why it is no surprise that fennel seed is included in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of crushed seeds into some boiling water and have it simmered for about 15 minutes.
- Then have it strained and let it cool down.
- Have your baby consumed ½ – 1 teaspoon of the solution in couples of time per day.
Also women who are breastfeeding are recommended to consume fennel tea for 2 to 3 times per day.
Learn more about other benefits of fennel seeds at How to Get Rid of Bloating.
7. Apple Juice
This juice is considered a key component in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants. Due to its mild laxative property, it can significantly alleviate constipation. Furthermore, the pectin from it is also beneficial for improving frequent bowel movements .
Nonetheless, you should not take applesauce for the baby because it might contain higher pectin level which will harden stool and trigger constipation.
You can have your baby consumed 2 – 4 ounces of juice once per day or 4 – 6 ounces for older child. It is recommended that you have the juice extracted at home using organic apples rather than using prepackaged juice.
The abundance of fiber is what makes prune a valuable choice in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants. It will enable the baby to combat against constipation with the laxative property that can support the control of bowel movements .
How to use:
- For infants who are less than 6 months old, take 1 – 2 tablespoons of prune juice into either formula or breast milk or even plain water. Have your baby consumed 1 to 2 times per day to control bowel movements.
- For infants who are older, you can take some diluted juice into the formula of baby before having the baby fed.
- In case your baby is having solid foods, you can opt for pureed prunes.
Note: Due to the bowel irritant from prune naturally, you need to consult the doctor before applying this tip.
9. Brown Sugar
Brown sugar is excellent at softening stool which make it easier for your baby to make bowel movement frequently and promptly. Those positive effects are why brown sugar is presented in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of brown sugar into some cool boiled-water.
- Dissolve the sugar completely.
- Have your baby consumed the solution for 3 times per day before having any solid meals.
10. High-Fiber Foods
Fiber is needed in softening the stool through absorbing water into it, turning them into bulk and passing easier. In case your baby has begun consuming solid meals, you can try to include foods which are rich in fiber into the baby’s daily diet.
How to use:
- Include foods which are abundant of fiber like peaches, pears, skinless apples, peas and broccoli. Those foods can be served either boiled or pureed.
- Also you can include some baby cereals which contain bran or barley.
- Another way is having your baby consumed some cooked grains such as quinoa, oats or barley.
Women who are breastfeeding are also recommended to consume more fiber-rich foods.
11. Dark Corn Syrup
Another efficient tip from the list of home remedies for constipation in infants is dark corn syrup. It is simple as you just need to take a teaspoon of the syrup into some water and then have your baby consumed 2 times per day. Moreover, it is suggested to use cool boiled-water and most important, this tip and the sugar solution are interchangeable and you should only use one at a time.
12. Lubrication to Anus
An extremely simple yet efficient tip from the list of home remedies for constipation in infants is using lubricant to ease the discomfort. Have the excretory passage lubricate by applying onto the anus at the diaper changing time. As a result, it will promote easy bowel movements from the baby .
13. Castor Oil
This common oil can also become a great option form the list of home remedies for constipation in infants. You just need to take a leaf of betel and soak its stalk into castor oil then insert into the baby’s rectum. In case the child is above 2 years old, you can have the child consumed a teaspoon of castor oil with some milk. The dosage will be depended on the child’s age.
Learn more other benefits of castor oil at Home Remedies for Breast Pain.
You can take 5 to 6 raisins and have them soaked overnight. Next morning, have them crushed and then strained. Have your baby consumed the liquid from raisin in order to manage the bowel movement.
15. Herbal Tea
The last tip in the list of home remedies for constipation in infants is using herbal tea.
You just need to take 2 cups each of anise leaves together with fresh leaves of mint into some boiling water. Have them steeped until the water is cool. Take the tea into the baby’s bottle and have your baby consumed for 4 ounces at a time.
- Keep out of formula which is thickened using rice cereal.
- Keep out of constipating foods such as cooked carrots, bananas or rice.
- Develop regular time for toilet and have your child followed by encouragement.
- Make sure the baby is in correct position during bowel movements.
- Women who are breastfeeding should restrain on consumption of dairy products in their daily diet.
- Keep out of cow’s milk as it might be hard for digesting.
- Avoid having your baby took constipation medication unless consulted the doctor.
To help us reach out millions of outside readers, do not forget to LIKE and SHARE if you find this article helpful!