What is Cholera?
Cholera is the epidemic which has claimed countless lives over years in both developing and underdeveloped countries .
This disease is rather common for children under 5 years old; however, it does not mean others are excluded.
What cause Cholera?
The infection usually spread from sources but the similar characteristic is that they are all contaminated such as contaminated vegetables, raw fruits, water, grains and even under-cooked or raw seafood as well as feces.
Symptoms or Cholera
In one week since the time the bacteria are ingested, symptoms will start appearing and they can vary from mild to severe.
The most common signs of cholera will be watery diarrhea which will result in dehydration as well as other serious conditions in case it is not attended timely.
Also there are other signs such as dry skin and mouth, cramps of muscles and stomach, nausea with vomiting, exhaustion with low blood pressure, restlessness and weakness.
Because cholera is classified as contagious at high level; therefore, you must take preparations in order to prevent the infection from spreading as well as receive appropriate treatment.
Here are the top 15 most effective home remedies for cholera which are easy for you apply from home in order to support the treatment of cholera as well as prevent the recurrence of this disease.
1. Increase Intake of Fluid
The most important tip and number one on the list of home remedies for cholera is none other than rehydration. As the main symptom of cholera is diarrhea, you will be more vulnerable to be dehydrated and your condition will become worse.
Therefore, consume a lot of water in order to maintain hydration. However, you should not consume just any fluid; you better choose the bottled water as well as purified water which contain chlorine or iodine. For more safety, you can have your water boiled before consuming.
Besides water, you can consume coconut water, herbal tea, buttermilk as well as orange juice during the day.
2. Homemade ORS
In case you suffer heavy diarrhea, then the no2 tip from the list of home remedies for cholera is the perfect cure for you. It can promptly resupply the loss of salts and fluids; thus help bring down the intensity of those cholera’s symptoms as well as support the recovery. You can choose to use either the ready-made ORS from the drugstores or the homemade one.
How to use:
- Take ½ teaspoon of salt with 6 teaspoons of sugar into about 1 liters of purified water and dissolve.
- Consume the solution as much as you possibly can until your recovery is completed.
For more information about the effectiveness of homemade ORS, please take a look here: Home Remedies for Diarrhea.
3. Probiotic Yogurt
It is one of the most recommended tips in the list of home remedies for cholera due to the healthy bacteria which can encourage digestion as well as combat against the negative bacteria that cause cholera. Moreover, it even benefits your immunity .
How to use:
- Consume 2 – 3 cups of plain yogurt every day until you feel relief. Also you might put in some slices of banana for better effect.
- Also you can make some smoothies using yogurt and consume couples of time per day to improve recovery.
If you want to know more about the benefits and applications of yogurt as a remedy, please take a look here: 11 Health Benefits of Yogurt.
Considered a natural antibiotic, ginger is extremely effective at fighting infection and getting rid of cholera. Furthermore, it can alleviate many symptoms such as abdominal pain, stomach cramps as well as diarrhea. Therefore, it is no surprise that ginger is included in the list of home remedies for cholera .
How to use:
- Take a piece of ginger to grate and add in a teaspoon of honey. Consume the mixture for improving your digestion.
- Another way is preparing ginger tea. You can take some ginger slices into some boiling water together with some mint leaves, basil leaves and black peppers. Then have them strained and put in some honey. Consume couples of tea cup every day until there are positive improvements.
Note: In case you are using blood thinners, you must avoid applying this tip.
Ginger is the ingredient you should always keep available in your kitchen as it can cure various common problems while temporarily relieve many other conditions related to your health. You can find out more about ginger here: Ginger – A Versatile Natural Home Remedy.
The potent antibacterial property of lemon is what makes it suitable for the list of home remedies for cholera. It can efficiently eliminate the negative bacteria from the intestines as well as the whole digestive system. Furthermore, vitamin C from lemon will enhance your immunity which will boost up the recovery .
How to use:
- Take the juice from ½ a lemon into some water.
- Add in some salt and honey then mix well.
- Consume regularly until the recovery is done.
Note: Avoid using honey for children under 1 year old.
It has been proven that zinc is beneficial at decreasing the severity and duration of cholera at children. It contains over 200 enzymes which are efficient at fighting against infection as well as improve the immunity .
How to use:
- It is recommended to take 10 – 20 mg of zinc every day for children who have diarrhea from cholera.
- Also you can consume more foods which are rich of zinc such as pumpkin and sesame seeds, brown rice, spinach, garlic and lentils.
Another common kitchen ingredient from the list of home remedies for cholera which you can totally use to cure cholera significantly. Containing antiseptic, antibiotic and antibacterial properties, it is capable of alleviate symptoms such as thirst, restlessness and dry mouth .
How to use:
- Take ½ an onion with 7 – 8 black peppers for form a paste. Separate into 3 doses and consume 3 times every day for 1 week.
- Another way is taking 2 teaspoons of juice from white onion and bitter gourd. Add in a teaspoon of lemon juice and consume 2 times every day for quick recovery.
This herb can provide remarkable support for the treatment of cholera as it is able to ease the discomfort at the abdomen. Moreover, the eugenol compound from clove can eliminate the parasites and bacteria which can trigger diarrhea .
How to use:
- Take 10 – 15 buds of clove into some water.
- Have them boiled until the water is decreased to ½ of the beginning.
- Have them strained and let the solution cool down.
- Consume regularly until there are positive improvements.
9. Fenugreek Seeds
This seed is the one you should watch out for in the list of home remedies for cholera as it is extremely effective at getting rid of heavy diarrhea. Moreover, the high content of mucilage from fenugreek will consolidate and harden your stools, thus decrease the intensity of diarrhea.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoon of fenugreek powder with 2 tablespoons of yogurt and some roasted cumin powder to mix together. Consume the mixture 2 – 3 times per day for quicker recovery.
- Another way is taking a teaspoon of fenugreek powder into some warm water. Consume twice every day until the diarrhea is improved.
Note: Small children should avoid applying this tip.
How to use:
- Take a tablespoon of raw turmeric and soak in lemon juice for about 2 hours.
- Take out the pieces of turmeric and let the sun dry them.
- Have the dried ginger grinded into powder as well as have it stored in some containers which is air tight.
- Take ¼ teaspoon of the powder with some honey into some hot water.
- Consume twice every day until you recovery is visible.
Note: Do not overdose on turmeric as it might worsen the diarrhea problems.
11. Coconut Water
Containing abundance of essential minerals as well as natural sugars, it would be a mistake if coconut water is not included in the list of home remedies for cholera. It is able to ease the digestive system as well as replenish the micro-nutrients which are lost during diarrhea.
12. Drumstick Leaves
It is not the drumstick but its leaf is the ingredient which is suitable for the list of home remedies for cholera. You can take a teaspoon of juice extracted from leaves with a teaspoon of honey and some coconut water to mix together. Consume the mixture 2 – 3 times per day.
It is extremely excellent in restoring the balance of acid base from dehydration; therefore it is considered a valuable tip in the list of home remedies for cholera for curing thirst from cholera. You can take the juice from cucumber leaves together with some coconut water in equal amount.
As dehydration is the major symptom of cholera, nutmeg is extremely efficient at curing it which is why it is presented in the list of home remedies for cholera. You can take some nutmeg into some boiling water then use it together with some coconut water for better effect
15. Rough Chaff
The last tip in the list of home remedies for cholera is an exotic herb named rough chaff or Achyranthes aspera. You can take 6 gr of its powder into some water and consume once every day for the treatment of cholera.
- Consume boiled or filtered water.
- Have foods and water stored in containers in order to avoid contamination.
- Have your hands washed before eating as well as cooking.
- Apply light diet for about 1 – 2 weeks.
- Keep out of junk, oily and spicy foods.
- Keep out of milk as well as dairy products.
- Have some hot bath 1 – 2 times every day to maintain warmness for your body.
- In order to avoid vomiting, take a piece of ice or ginger candy to chew.
- Use cold compress onto stomach in order to ease the abdominal pains and stomach cramps.
*Disclaim: The effectiveness from applying these natural tips will be depended on the body condition of the applicant.